New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Who Will Kill Xykon?

Gobbotopia’s undeniably a major positive achievement for goblinkind. That’s why I’m scared it will be destroyed by the Snarl, as a consequence of Redcloak continuing to pursue the Plan.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Gobbotopia’s undeniably a major positive achievement for goblinkind. That’s why I’m scared it will be destroyed by the Snarl, as a consequence of Redcloak continuing to pursue the Plan.
    Now that you mention it, that's a great point. There's still a massive rift right over Gobbotopia, so if eldritch tentacles start coming out and screwing the place over then the panicked messages from the local clerics that may be the extra motivation to make Redcloak to accept to seal the gates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Now that you mention it, that's a great point. There's still a massive rift right over Gobbotopia, so if eldritch tentacles start coming out and screwing the place over then the panicked messages from the local clerics that may be the extra motivation to make Redcloak to accept to seal the gates.
    That would be a neat element of book VII, and would be consistent with the original "leakage" we saw when Soon's wife MiJung got taken, and when the Snarl erupted somewhat in the desert.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-27 at 11:50 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    That would be a neat element of book VII, and would be consistent with the original "leakage" we saw when Soon's wife MiJung got taken, and when the Snarl erupted somewhat in the desert.
    Oddly enough, it seems that we have no instances of the Snarl coming out unprovoked. Assuming you classify "scanning magic (or supernatural stuff, or extraordinary abilities)" as a sort of action against the Snarl, the Snarl never seems to have attacked anyone aside from MiJung, who could have been scanning it, or things like the bears that may well have walked into it. Laurin scanned it, the Scribblers were actively trying to seal it when it was attacking them, and so on.

The Snarl doesn't seem to be doing any fighting or attacking unless provoked (with a very loose definition of provoked), and possibly won't actually deal meaningful damage until the last rift is opened.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-27 at 06:01 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Oddly enough, it seems that we have no instances of the Snarl coming out unprovoked. Assuming you classify "scanning magic (or supernatural stuff, or extraordinary abilities)" as a sort of action against the Snarl, the Snarl never seems to have attacked anyone aside from MiJung, who could have been scanning it, or things like the bears that may well have walked into it. Laurin scanned it, the Scribblers were actively trying to seal it when it was attacking them, and so on.

The Snarl doesn't seem to be doing any fighting or attacking unless provoked (with a very loose definition of provoked), and possibly won't actually deal meaningful damage until the last rift is opened.
    Redcloak was studying the rift while they were in Gobbotopia I recall. It would've been strange if he (or nobody else in the city) had ever used any scanning magic on the big glowing thing in the sky while in there. Even if Redcloak had proclaimed an edict "don't use any kind of magic in the big thing in the sky", the chances of some goblinoid caster disobeying or one of the non-goblinoid rebels doing it are pretty significant.

My bet is that it's lots of physical proximity that draws aggro, the Gobbotopia rift is pretty far up so it's hard to get close, while the rifts where tentacles did come from were much closer to the ground and had quite a lot of people gathering nearby for a significant amount of time.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-08-27 at 07:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Redcloak was studying the rift while they were in Gobbotopia I recall. It would've been strange if he (or nobody else in the city) had ever used any scanning magic on the big glowing thing in the sky while in there. Even if Redcloak had proclaimed an edict "don't use any kind of magic in the big thing in the sky", the chances of some goblinoid caster disobeying or one of the non-goblinoid rebels doing it are pretty significant.

My bet is that it's lots of physical proximity that draws aggro, the Gobbotopia rift is pretty far up so it's hard to get close, while the rifts where tentacles did come from were much closer to the ground and had quite a lot of people gathering nearby for a significant amount of time.
    Proximity qualifying for "under attack" probably works better; now that I think about it Laurin had scanned it via Clairvoyance prior to her favor (when she scanned it a second time).

Regardless, the Snarl seems to be much more passive at the moment than it was in the past; if we assume that those were exaggerated, it is possible that the Snarl isn't attacking so much as it is defending itself until it breaks free and attempts to devour the world itself.

I'd like to know when was the last time that the Snarl idly got loose without a ridiculously long wait period. If it's been thousands of worlds since the Snarl actually devoured a world instead of waiting for the end times to do so, it may have climbed the intellectual ladder and gained sentience, whether high level or low level. The brain does has an obscene amount of neurons, each of which is very complex; manifesting soul energy into a coherent mind on one's own through nothing but souls would take a very long time.
    The idea of the Snarl thinking its a child trying to clean up after the mean adults (gods) is kind of funny though.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

There was also a goblin cleric who allegedly got undone in the act of putting a chicken through the rift. Physical proximity seems to be the main thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if magical prodding alerted the Snarl and made an attack more likely. Blackwing and Xykon weren't attacked, but I suppose they weren't quite as close to the rift as the victims who did trigger an attack.

As for the Snarl seeming more passive, I think that's a big assumption. You're comparing a gated Snarl to a free-roaming Snarl.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2019-08-27 at 08:48 PM.
    ungelic is us

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Blackwing and Xykon weren't attacked, but I suppose they weren't quite as close to the rift as the victims who did trigger an attack.
    More importantly, possibly, the rift that they were peering through was in high orbit above the Snarl's planet. The others - the one in the desert definitely, likely the one the goblin priest messed with - are at surface level.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    There was also a goblin cleric who allegedly got undone in the act of putting a chicken through the rift. Physical proximity seems to be the main thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if magical prodding alerted the Snarl and made an attack more likely. Blackwing and Xykon weren't attacked, but I suppose they weren't quite as close to the rift as the victims who did trigger an attack.

As for the Snarl seeming more passive, I think that's a big assumption. You're comparing a gated Snarl to a free-roaming Snarl.
    soon's wife was snuffed by prodding the portal
    one of the previous redcloacks was snuffed out by prodding the portal
    the snarl only apeared when laurin began prodding the portal

I'm pretty sure at this point that at least at this level of tears it's the interaction with the portals that grabs the snarl's attention