The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate, anyone?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Fate, anyone?

Wherein we discuss what sort of game weíd like. A mention for Norse fantasy... I mentioned itís not my forte, but I could give it a shot, depending. Any other itches?
    Running: [Sorcerers & Sellswords] Darkness Under Kítha-Tan. IC. OOC. Recruitment. [ Nerissa ] [ Kerghan ] [ Sir Htennek ] [ Dara ]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fate, anyone?

I should admit it's not my forte either, but I've been watching Vinland Saga recently so I'm really up for the aesthetic. Throwing ideas out and the product of 15 minutes looking...

I feel like Viking flavored Dark-High Fantasy would resemble something like LOTR style magic but it's something contemporary not the legacy of a past greater age. There'd be trolls, ice giants, sea serpants and other Norse-ish monsters running about a mountainous and cold world, desolate but beautiful. The Viking culture is brutal, but there's also a depth of practical knowledge, law and culture to be respected. I'd see our Clan as ruling some kind of seafront fortress-town halfway between Erebor and Skelige. We have rune-smiths laboring away creating arms, our gates are well warded, and we have longships sitting in the harbor. A troll is attacking our forresters as they gather timber for our fleet and to burn in the hard winter, we're preparing to ward off and retaliate to raids from enemy clans or ice giants in the spring, and a court (Thing) has been called by our neighbors to settle the feud between one of our rivals and allies over the death of our niece's betrothed in an honor duel.

In no particular order...

1. I'd say use the real Norse Gods as is, it's good flavor everyone knows a bit about.
    2. I'd like to make Seafaring a big deal in the game. Let us use it as a knowledge skill for travel and such as well as using a ship, and include travel over difficult waters in the story.
    3. We could use a map of RL Europe for our geography to allow a really nicely detailed map of ports and such.
    4. I'd see Norse 'Elves' as something like Skyrim's Dunmer with LOTR Dwarf 'tech'. They don't get magitech, but they're ingenious 'holes who live underground and are really, really, greedy.
    5. I'd like Runes to have an element of prophecy and of enchanting, probably as separate skills?
    6. I'd want magical Weapons to be a big deal with at least a 'this is a thing this enables' Aspect available from having one and lots available, preferably a Stunt-effect too, but they're more than balanced out by monsters' buffs.
    7. If others are on board I'd want to make our Clan it's own kind of character as worldbuilding. Give it a history in Aspects we divvy out like Founding, Rise to Prominance, Recent History, Ally 1 (Crossing Paths), Ally 2, Enemy 1, Enemy 2, Greatest Honor and Greatest Shame. Maybe even do something like the FAE Pathfinder Archetypes to represent things like Wealth, Reputation, Lore, and Divine Favor we can call on as Clanmembers.
    8. We could just copy the look and magic of the Others from Game of Thrones for an enemy race, either making them the Jottun (Ice Giants) or making them to the Ice Giants what humanity is to the Gods. Ice-zombies and magic snowstorms sound like a good thing to face.

There's a lot of Viking Law to take inspiration from, but a cursory feel of it could be an honored gathering of all the freemen in the town to debate the issue with some elder lawspeakers who keep the oral tradition for honor duels, fines, outlawing and bloodmoney weregeld to compensate for deaths or injuries from feuds.

Spoiler: Relevant Quote from Wikipedia (Optional Extra Detail)
    Show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_...dieval_society

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In the Viking Age, things were the public assemblies of the free men of a country, province, or a hundred (Swedish: hšrad, hundare, Danish: herred). They functioned as both parliaments and courts at different levels of societyólocal, regional, and supra-regional.[5] Their purpose was to solve disputes and make political decisions, and thing sites were also often the place for public religious rites. According to Norway's Law of the Gulathing, only free men of full age could participate in the assembly.[6] According to written sources, women were clearly present at some things despite being left out of the decision making bodies, such as the Icelandic Althing.[7]

In the pre-Christian clan-culture of Scandinavia, the members of a clan were obliged to avenge injuries against their dead and mutilated relatives. As a result, feuding is often seen as the most common form of conflict resolution used in Viking society. However, things are in a more general sense balancing structures used to reduce tribal feuds and avoid social disorder in North-Germanic cultures. They played an important role in Viking society as forums for conflict resolution, marriage alliances, power display, honor, and inheritance settlements.[5]

From Sweden and England, it is well known that assemblies were held both at natural and man-made mounds, often burial mounds.[8] Specifically in Scandinavia, unusually large rune-stones and inscriptions suggesting a local family's attempt to claim supremacy are common features of thing sites. It is also common for assembly sites to be located close to communication routes, such as navigable water routes and clear land routes.[9]

The thing met at regular intervals, legislated, elected chieftains and kings, and judged according to the law, which was memorized and recited by the "lawspeaker" (the judge). The thing's negotiations were presided over by the lawspeaker and the chieftain or the king. More and more scholarly discussions center around the things being forerunners to democratic institutions as we know them today. The Icelandic Althing is considered to be the oldest surviving parliament in the world, the Norwegian Gulathing also dating back to 900-1300 AD.[10] While the things were not democratic assemblies in the modern sense of an elected body, they were built around ideas of neutrality and representation,[10] effectively representing the interests of larger numbers of people. In Norway, the thing was a space where free men and elected officials met and discussed matters of collective interest, such as taxation.[11] Though some scholars say that the things were dominated by the most influential members of the community, the heads of clans and wealthy families, other scholars describe how every free man could put forward his case for deliberation and share his opinions.[12] History professor Torgrim Titlestad describes how Norway, with the thing sites, displayed an advanced political system over a thousand years ago, one that was characterized by high participation and democratic ideologies.[13] These things also served as courts of law,[14] and if one of the smaller things could not reach agreement, the matter at hand would be brought to one of the bigger things, which encompassed larger areas.[11] The legislature of Norway is still known as the Storting (Big Thing) today.

Towards the end of the Viking age, royal power became centralized and the kings began to consolidate power and control over the assemblies. As a result, things lost most of their political role and began to function largely as courts in the later Middle Ages.[5]
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-08-08 at 07:51 AM.
    Avatar made by the artist Chimmy.

Insanity is checking the IC twice and expecting a different result.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

We don't need to do Vikings if you guys aren't thrilled by the idea. In fact, I'd rather do something everyone likes.

I do like the idea own sailing being important, maybe we could even own a ship. I also like being northmen from a cold climate.

By the way, I have my brother's kids right now, so I won't be able to post any ideas until the weekend.
    Last edited by MrSandman; 2019-08-08 at 09:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Beholder

Wow, our one-shot is getting messy!

In any case, this is great stuff! I like what Iím seeing in Stereoís post. Iím almost of a mind that instead of a map of Europe, we take a more zoomed in look at Scandinavia, the Baltic and North Seas to emphasize the sailing part of it.

I like clan politics. Designing a clan profile is very fun.

Let me throw some crazy into it. These are ideas we can discuss or toss out:

• These are floating islands and continents. Itís actually sky-sailing in rudimentary but fearsome looking gas bags.
    • Youíre dragon riders! Each clan has its own brood of dragon they raise train and venerate. Or, consequently, youíre dragon hunters flying in your dirigibles (vikings meet Moby **** but in the sky. (I canít believe that word gets censored! )

Iíve actually wanted to do a dragon-rider type game for a while. This was a fascinating recap of a game that (I think) was intended for eventual published format. Iíve taken a number of stabs at dragon stuff, mechanically, once with unique approaches for FAE, and once with Core type skills, pairing a PC to a dragon mount.

This may be too tangential for your tastes. I can share what I had put together if youíre further interested. The play report I linked from rpg.net actually did take a Norse legends approach to its Dragon Knights concept.
    Running: [Sorcerers & Sellswords] Darkness Under Kítha-Tan. IC. OOC. Recruitment. [ Nerissa ] [ Kerghan ] [ Sir Htennek ] [ Dara ]

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

No rush on the discussion. You may also hate the Dragon idea, but here is a pitch for a hack I created where players are dragons. If youíre interested at all, we may salvage what we like. I think it would go nicely with a Norse-flavored campaign. I have another version I created with FAE in mind and playing both a paired human rider and dragon.

Donít feel bashful about saying, ďno, thank youĒ.

6. - Top - End - #6

Those are all great ideas roryb, and the Great Dragon Hunt's a fantastic hack I'd love to do something with. (And it's all there ready to go!) If you want to go with that I think we can add a few little touches to it and have a great time.

The zoomed out ages-long story could really work for PbP, and there's a lot of ways to get imaginations whirring with the looming death of your once-mighty race, so I like 'The Great Dragon Hunt' as-is. We could add some Dragon Clan element to the backstory to explain why our party is all working together, and maybe give the Dragon-Clan some remaining loyalist human servants or servant-races like Dragonborn or Kobolds to pad out the politics. I'd also like an extended backstory of aspects for our long-lived creatures as a way to record our centuries of wars with different races, kindness shown to other dragons, or any great marks on the land left by our deeds that might effect the legends we build up in the eyes of mortal races.

The Norse angle doesn't add anything to it to my tastes though. One of the things that greatly appeals to me with a Viking concept is the vicarious sensation of man against primal nature. Sailing your longship through rolling stormy sea, trudging on through the cold biting frost, wrestling your axe into the Troll's neck. A world where men sail in dirgibles or where Dragonbreath is a WMD takes away that exact kind of individual struggle and flight would take away the sea flavor. It's why I was going for LOTR as the parallel, Magic is a big deal as a guide and an enabler but everything still comes down to individual strength of will. I could see Norse style serpants, big swimming snakes with poisonbreath, being a cool addition taking on a kind of symbiotic role as chinese-style sources of wisdom and lore but contemporary dragons take away what I find cool about Vikings.

I say run with 'The Great Dragon Hunt' but while I found the Viking-concept cool, and I'd like to do something in that direction eventually, I'm not enthusiastic about trying to mix it into a Dragons game. (I don't object either though if someone else wants to do it, I just wouldn't take it too seriously.)
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-08-09 at 08:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Beholder

I'm also fine doing your original pitch without the gonzo stuff. I'm not trying to twist anyone's arm. If the dragon hunt idea is more appealing to you both, let's do it.

Edit: and I'm fine with the additions you've listed, Mr Stereo1.
    Last edited by roryb; 2019-08-09 at 02:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

DruidGuy

Hey, I'll thoroughly read your posts and say something tomorrow, but I'm happy to drop the Viking theme.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

Okay, sounds like we'll go with Dragons! Rawwr.

No hurry about anything. I'd like a day myself to read through everything and reflect on everything I wrote there. That was about a year ago, but it seems far longer. I pitched it over on rpg.net and it looks like gamers were enthusiastic, but I ran out of time to make it past character generation and phase trio stuff.

Regarding number, two to three players is still my sweet spot. But I'd prefer to avoid an open recruitment this time. Let me know if you have any players you've interacted with you like that you'd like to nominate (no hurry here either).

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

After reading this again, Iím keen to run it. I may design some sample stunts and fill out the skills when I get a chance.

Any objections to this? Iím happy with adding whatever things youíd like to make it more appealing.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Hey guys. Sorry I didn't say anything during the weekend, I ended up being busier that I thought I'd be.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy for a while, and I don't think I'll be able to keep up a game in addition to the one we're already playing.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm happy with that. Game world is novel and has lot of emotional hooks for char-gen, I know the system and I could come up with something. It looks like most of my other games are dying or slow-paced at the moment anyway so I'd have the time available for it, but unfortunately I don't have anyone to recommend.

So I'm eager to be a Dragon but it's not urgent so we could wait a bit for schedules to clear (for MrSandman) and/or someone to find a likely or two to invite in. Or we could go open-recruitment, maybe with some provisions for dropped-out PCs to die in-story as part of the 'death of our people' theme. Like setting the prologue during our Dragon-Clan's exodus from our ancestral lands to Serpent's Spire, or our defeat in the bloody war with the [enemy].
    Last edited by Mr Stereo1; 2019-08-12 at 09:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

Understood, Sandman. Do you think your schedule will free up in a couple weeks, or it will go beyond that? I can wait. If youíre not sure, then we can go forward with an open recruitment.

Those are good suggestions, Stereo! Stating what could happen during player abandonment will be a good disincentive for that sort of behavior. I might also add a bit about the assumed play style of Fate as far as getting involved (making stuff happen rather than being purely reactive).

14. - Top - End - #14

It's not so much about influencing the players as much as a narrative release valve. Killing off Mel of Hachikat in War of the Dragon wouldn't have worked that well story-wise, but Dragons being hunted down and killed during our escape/defeat would only add to the tone.

15. - Top - End - #15

Beholder

Absolutely! A grim tone of despair. I like it.

Let's wait for Sandman's confirmation not to wait for him, and I can start putting together a recruitment thread. I wanted to populate the skills with some sample stunts. I got a few done, but I'll add to it as we go.

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGuy

I honestly want to say that in a week or two I'll be less busy, but truth is that I don't know. Things have a tendency to pile up. So please, go ahead and start the game without me. I hope it turns out to be a lot of fun!

17. - Top - End - #17

Beholder

I hear you! I know things are going to get nuts for me too, but Iíll still be able to carve out an hour in the evenings for updating threads. Weíre going to miss you. Maybe thereíll still be a chance to jump in at a later time.

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Stereo, just letting you know Iím tinkering with skill descriptions a bit before posting a recruitment thread. I might not be ready before Thursday, but Iíll update you.

19. - Top - End - #19

@MrSandman: I get you, but as roryb says it'd be great to have you if you get the time and inclination later on.

@roryb: Good to know. Do you think we could have some kind of party/clan/faction Aspects to build a backstory around? I'd imagine something like below to add a framework to where we are and where we came from in the world.

What Was Your Lost Domain Like? Describing where our Clan once had their lands, how they treated their subjects (if any) and how they lived there.

Why Did You Come North? Describing the war, encroachment, intrigue or whatever drove us to the Spire.

What Legends do Mortals Tell of Your Clan? We each add a piece of the folklore and history about us that informs how different groups interact with us. We could split this into Elf, Human, Dwarf, Orc, etc maybe?

Just an idea of course, but I find the vast lifespans of Dragons making them living ancient history to be one of the more fascinating things about the setting so I'm all on board emphasizing it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stereo1 View Post
    Do you think we could have some kind of party/clan/faction Aspects to build a backstory around? I'd imagine something like below to add a framework to where we are and where we came from in the world.

What Was Your Lost Domain Like? Describing where our Clan once had their lands, how they treated their subjects (if any) and how they lived there.

Why Did You Come North? Describing the war, encroachment, intrigue or whatever drove us to the Spire.

What Legends do Mortals Tell of Your Clan? We each add a piece of the folklore and history about us that informs how different groups interact with us. We could split this into Elf, Human, Dwarf, Orc, etc maybe?
    Great ideas! I think it would be interesting to define background by clutch (through birth) and clan (chosen/arranged/deigned). The latter is necessary for the survival of the species, adapting to civilizationís social structures for unified strength. Perhaps dragon insanity is a threat where some matrons destroy their eggs out of despair to save versus the threat of men. Therefore the clutch relationship is a rarity, or perhaps even secret (dragonsí sense of territory may cause those of a single line to band together with siblings to seek out and destroy rivals). Just talking out loud.

But each player handling one or more of these questions will be a great way to flesh out the world. Iíll add them to the wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stereo1 View Post
    Just an idea of course, but I find the vast lifespans of Dragons making them living ancient history to be one of the more fascinating things about the setting so I'm all on board emphasizing it.
    Agreed. A look at their lives as non-humans in terms of a strictly oral tradition of lore, a lack of ability to craft marvels or write like men...this can be very interesting or even challenging play style. Dragon lord may be entirely kept in poetic verse to help their ancient memories. It can actually turn into one of the biggest threats to face dragonkind ó the lack of innovation may be the thing that may kill them off in the end.

A thought occurred...what do you think about a strict track or countdown to hibernation? Would that be interesting to put a clock on what you can accomplish before the next advancement of man? Like 6 or 8 scenes? Then, at the end of a session, players can conjecture as to what happens in the world given the dragonsí accomplishments overall. Might be interesting.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by roryb View Post
    Great ideas! I think it would be interesting to define background by clutch (through birth) and clan (chosen/arranged/deigned). The latter is necessary for the survival of the species, adapting to civilizationís social structures for unified strength. Perhaps dragon insanity is a threat where some matrons destroy their eggs out of despair to save versus the threat of men. Therefore the clutch relationship is a rarity, or perhaps even secret (dragonsí sense of territory may cause those of a single line to band together with siblings to seek out and destroy rivals). Just talking out loud.

But each player handling one or more of these questions will be a great way to flesh out the world. Iíll add them to the wiki.
    I really like the idea of gathering enmasse in Serpent's Spire being a novel thing for Dragonkind, but I also don't like the other extreme of Dragon's being completely solitary. No history or interaction together is boring. So I'd find something like above with small groups of Clan/Clutch Dragons working loosely together to hold territory a nice compromise, with the Elder Wyrm forging so many different groups into one small territory being the grand revolutionary experiment to save their kind.

Agreed. A look at their lives as non-humans in terms of a strictly oral tradition of lore, a lack of ability to craft marvels or write like men...this can be very interesting or even challenging play style. Dragon lord may be entirely kept in poetic verse to help their ancient memories. It can actually turn into one of the biggest threats to face dragonkind ó the lack of innovation may be the thing that may kill them off in the end.
    Dragon-song as lore is great, similar to how the Koran is sung by Muslims or the Ancient Greeks might have sung the Illiad's poetry to aid memory. It fits the Dragons's physiology and gives them an interesting little feature to their culture. Because their lore is oral Elder Wyrms have to pass their tales down personally. Maybe ritual sharing of Songs was one of the few (or only) times Dragons from different tribes would meet peacefully. The Elder Wyrm might've won over the Dragons to gather in the Spire with a legendary poetry reading of the Dragon's past losses and rare victories through teamwork.

I'd figure Dragons might kind of fear innovation more than non-value it. They'd surely struggle with the concepts, but they'll have to learn to acknowledge the advantages it offers humanoids. When they do they'll realise how hard it is for them to benefit from it as much and compete. Their lack of hands, sheer size and small numbers make it very hard to match the industry of humanoid species and they're going to learn it's a constant game of catch-up against them from now on. I'd compare it to something like brash overconfident WW1 Generals beginning blissfully ignorant of how industrial warfare has changed things but being absolutely horrified and rushing to figure it out when they witness it in action. Except Dragons don't get Artillery or Machine Guns and it's in slow motion played out over centuries.

They might also really like humanoid musical instrumentation to go along with their Dragon-Song. The traditional playing of music to calm a dragon, but with a more scholarly bent. Early legendary scholars or story tellers in this world are probably Bard-types who spent time playing the drums for a great Dragon-Chorus to learn the ancient history of the world.

A thought occurred...what do you think about a strict track or countdown to hibernation? Would that be interesting to put a clock on what you can accomplish before the next advancement of man? Like 6 or 8 scenes? Then, at the end of a session, players can conjecture as to what happens in the world given the dragonsí accomplishments overall. Might be interesting.
    I think that'd be great. Two-ish Sessions's worth of time (maybe split more into 2-scene prologue, adventure session, 2-scene epilogue or other combos) is enough time to do something in each age and wrap up loose ends but not too long. That's a virtue when we want a sense of the passing of ages in the game.

22. - Top - End - #22

Beholder

These are all great ideas. Iíll put those in the wiki, but it seems I have my work cut out for me. Itís also getting a bit busy at work. You see Iím trying to populate all the skill list, but itís slow going. I really like where all this points and think this has some great potential. I wonít be ready yet, it seems.

Bear with me if you will.

23. - Top - End - #23

No deadline to worry about man, take your time!

I'll do a couple paragraphs on the ideas you can add to the wiki if you like them. No point adding extra work for you when you're already building an entire system.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

That would be awesome! Thank you.

25. - Top - End - #25

So some of this contradicts the existing sections, so I've just edited the Setting and Anatomy of a Dragon sections to accommodate the ideas. Feel free to opt out if you don't approve of the changes, naturally. The clan/party backstory thing is probably it's own section below Create the World?

Spoiler: Setting
    Show

Setting

It is the twilight of a majestic race of giant lizards. Dragons once held dominion over all of the north. The coming of men and other sentient races ó originally paying tribute to the mighty dragons ó are now harnessing the power of alchemy and ingenuity. They are developing cunning engines of fire and death, and pervert dragon rebels through manipulation against their kin to now challenge the dragonsí dominance of the skies.

The quest of man is to eradicate the last of dragonkind and trade in the fabulous wealth of dragons. In addition to possessing ages-old hoards of silver and jewels, dragons are themselves a manifestation of the raw elements ó fire, shadow, cold, and even iron. And the remaining eggs of the mighty dragon matrons ó priceless geodes that take an age to incubate and possess riches and exceedingly rare elements ó are coveted by man to power airships and machines of war. The surviving eggs now number only in the mere dozens.

The end of the winged lizard kings draws near. Their noble bearings begin now to erode to reveal their raw, untamable and tempestuous natures. They guard their hidden lairs and hoards from mankind, sometimes moving them as needed when their territories fall to pioneers with the courage and grit enough to lay stake further north.

Although each dragon may lair separately and gather only in small close-knit clans of relatives, in order to survive, the savage serpents have founded Serpentís Spire, their last refuge and solitary place of unified strength. They gather in a rivalry-fueled loose unity under the ailing Elder Wyrm ó greatest living member of their kind and well versed in their songs. Without some semblance of solidarity, putting aside differences and territorial disputes, enterprising man would have already hunted them down to extinction.

Through their devious consumption of stolen dragon eggs, mankind is developing numerous marvels, including airborne gasbag powered warships, cruel adamantium harpoons and black powder cannons. Along with these innovations is the empowerment that comes with rising to challenge the dragonís supremacy. A challenge the Dragons are slowly realising with dread they cannot meet in kind, crippled by the same size and strength that makes them the mightiest of all races.

Dragonkind strives to survive. The threat of man, a dwindling frontier to serve as food and refuge, in addition to the lost dragon eggs that need to be recovered and incubated are not the only threats the species faces. Their own raw natures threatens to spill over their levees to consume them and the world, and their contest to amass the resources necessary to survive the coming hibernation at the end of the age number among their challenges. They must adapt to the cleverness of the human mind or face extinction. And even immediate survival will amount to little if they cannot foster a new generation.

Spoiler: Anatomy of a Dragon
    Show

Anatomy of a Dragon

Unfortunately for the survival of the species, they generally mate for life. Rogue dragons who have broken from tradition may occasionally dominate a harem of young females, but such cases are exceedingly rare. Dragon eggs possess an amalgam of the unique mineral makeup of both parents. Young typically take an entire age to incubate and usually hatch at the awakening following a period of hibernation.

Precious metals are indeed part of a dragonís makeup. This is one reason why dragons will amass wealth, or reside in ore-rich lairs. The magnetic and auric qualities of these important alchemical commodities energizes a dragon during slumber and helps to keep its furnace stoked. A dragon possesses a furnace, the fierce internal force of elemental power that serves as a dragonís personal talisman. Whether powered by fire or alternative elemental forces or elements it is required not only for their potent and destructive breath, but also to keep them aloft during flight. If their furnace extinguishes by releasing all of their energy in one apocalyptic burst, it is costly in terms of time to re-stoke and leaves them vulnerable. Historically, only when a dragon knows its demise is nigh do they release all their energy.

All dragons, even the young, are heavily armored with an array of fearsome weaponry at their disposal. Aside from their terrible breath, their fanged maw, talons, wings, tail, and even physical girth are all formidable tools of war. They are easily capable of destroying armies, and a single adult dragon can decimate a city.

However, mankindís ingenuity has tested the dragonsí natural superiority. And now they must adapt or suffer extinction. In this they are sadly limited by their physiology. Lacking hands and few in number they can't adopt the tools or industry of their enemies, even as they learn to fear and respect their newfound power.

Dragons generally are solitary maintaining close ties only to close kin. The only exceptions were battles over territory between rival clans and short ritual gatherings to meet prospective mates and exchange lore. Known as Dragon Choruses these gatherings are universally called by the presence of an Elder, one known and respected for the depth of his knowledge. Whether inviting others to his territory or present as a guest in another clan's lands the gathered Dragons learn their kind's history and lore from their elders in oral tradition.

Recorded in poetry Dragonlore is almost universally sung. The teacher sings first for their audience and then as they recite the verses their students join in, learning to sing the tale themselves. During the brief (for creatures who measure lifetimes in ages) months they might gather together the Clans exchange tales, magic and lore discovered during their time apart with the most worthy entering what is known as the World's Song, a mostly agreed upon history of the world. In earlier ages these Choruses were the greatest source of knowledge available to the lesser races and some who had befriended one of the Wyrms would be allowed to attend, though never to Sing. Many of the early scholars of Mortal magic and lore learned from the Elder Wyrms at these gatherings, often paying their way with music played to the tune of the songs. Alone among the trappings of civilization Dragons learned to love the playing of instruments, with no Chorus now considered complete without accompaniment.

It was during one of these Choruses, now considered the Great Chorus in the World's Song, that the Elder Wyrm convinced the Clans to gather under him in Serpent's Spire. Singing to them of the many losses and defeats dealt to Dragonkind at the hands of Humans and other pettier races, of the divides and feuds that weakened them in the face of the mortal's encroachment, and the ongoing tragedy of their kind's fall he convinced them that their only hope lay in gathering together to share their knowledge and strength as other race's had.

Today they have formed a loose alliance and rally around their chosen elder, who at present suffers a wasting curse that none currently understands nor knows how to combat. Rivalries threaten the dragonsí future as much as the next wave of dragon hunters. Many dragons cultivate relationships with a variety of mortal minions ó dwarves to craft more formidable defenses, barbaric northman tribes to serve as lookouts and spies, as well as craftsmen and scribes to do such menial tasks that a dragon could not or would not do.

Spoiler: Clan History Aspects
    Show

Clan History Aspects

To place your Dragons in the world give some context for their history. Where did they come from? Why were they driven to Serpent's Spire? What legends do Mortals tell of the Clan? As a party give a short answer to each question and a Phase Aspect to effect your interactions with others who know your tales.

Aspect 1: Your Lost Homeland.

Where did your Clan once live? What was the land like? What or who lived there? How did they interact with you, if at all? How did it shape you?

Aspect 2: Your Flight North.

What drove you from your homes to Serpent's Spire? Who or what was responsible for your decision to make your new home in the North?

Aspects 3+: Mortal Legends of Your Clan

Each player can come up with a legend or two told by a group or race of mortals about an event in your Clan's history that effected them. Perhaps the tale is told by different groups from different perspectives? This tale could be a prominent piece of folklore to the relevant group effecting their interactions with you.

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

This is fantastic, Stereo! Thanks for the help. Iíll get this on the wiki and finish my last skill description by tomorrow. Iíll probabl draft up a recruitment thread post with the other stuff weíve discussed. Might be able to get that up tomorrow too.

Excellent stuff! The phase trio here will be helpful.

27. - Top - End - #27

Glad to be of help!

It'd be cool to get one up but as said earlier there's no deadline, so don't feel the need to commit to anything to me.

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

Not skipping out on this either, Stereo. I donít want to doom it either just as a recruitment thread gets out. I may shoot for when things cool a bit. Iíll give an update before pulling the trigger.

29. - Top - End - #29

That's wise. We don't want people recruited to be put off by a sudden slowdown as the game starts, best to do it when you're ready to focus. I hope your business goes well, with no complications. (You don't get delicious Fate Points for them in real life.)

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

I should have got a ton of Fate Points for the stuff that happened at closing.

I have a couple of big music festivals I organize that finish October 14. That would be the ideal time to launch, because thatíll be three weeks at the end of September/beginning of October that Iíll be somewhat overwhelmed.