New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] Curse of Strahd Chapter 1: The Dark Lord Strahd

Kyran sighs as he double checks his musket, "By the way, the town is getting riled up out there. The zombies were seen, and they think they were raised because of you. They're likely to try and run you out of town tonight, we might need to hide you away somewhere and claim that you left already."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover, who has been absentmindedly playing music, stops, and looks up, and asks, "Now hold on, we didn't conjure them, why would they be mad at us?"

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"They figure that the zombies would not have been raised in the first place if there were not outsiders in town. And to be fair to them, they're probably right. Strahd likes to play with people like you, and his games often put more than just his toys in danger. As miserable as our lives here can be, things tend to get worse when people like you are around."

"I was going to tell you that it would be best if you left town myself, but I had hoped that we would have a day or so to prepare you before anything like this happened."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-09-23 at 11:50 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

WE will do none of that. Donovich chimes in. I do not have the space to hide you, nor do I have the willingness to protect you. I know the people of Barovia. Centuries of darkness have darkened our hearts, but deep down they are a helpful people. I can't say I will be able to argue against them. Not with what is on the line.

He looks fearfully towards Doru's chamber. If they realize what I have been imprisoning down here, I am sure they will burn down the chapel.

Donovich pauses for a brief moment. Many of the houses in town are abandoned. If you set out now, you could maybe settle there.

Or we could use my father's mansion. Ireena adds. I have an idea how to get to my brother but it involves a bit of a read up.

Spoiler: Clover
    Show
    Ireena raises an eyebrow after you said you didn't even do it. Maybe you are poorly educated but you know the hearts of the people. They are easily deceived.

Spoiler: Sprocketbox
    Show
    Drinking some water helps you relax and expand your mind a bit but the waters you conjure up here taste more earthy and less refreshing than the stuff directly from the plane of water you are used to.

Some kind of ... planar barrier prevents your call from leaving this plane. You fear a simple portal spell will not cut it this time.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There ya go, fluff inconsistencies settled. The Kirin Tor trained mages conjure water elementals, so I assume the water they create is from the plane of water as well.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"A mansion , that can work as our own little base of operations. How much of a read up would we require specifically?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox nervously invites the squirrel to sit on his shoulder. He yelps a bit as it leaps to him and scrables into place. Then he turns to look at the others. "Uh, not to derail this strategy meeting, but I think we'd better get this over with and leave before the mob gets here. We can decide on where to stay after we've left."

With that, he moves towards the door, ready to get to work.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

"If the mob comes in here, they'll surely hear Doru. Is there any chance we could, ah, deal with him before the mob arrives? Then we can be on our way and the mob won't burn down the church."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"That is the idea, we take care of it now, and the mob won't have anything to find in the basement. Let's get this done." Kyran moves to start shifting the pews away from the door.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia keeps her eye on the door. "Whenever you're all ready. I hope he can find peace."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-09-27 at 04:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

"Whoever is taking the lead alongside me, gather 'round for Cayden's blessing." He will hear us here. He will.

Spoiler
    Show

Kouran will cast Bless on himself and two others, preferably those also in melee. Then he'll be ready to open the door.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

"If it must be done, then it shall," Clover states with some degree of resignation, before joining Kouran in prayer.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

As you unbar the door, Donovich holds "guard" in the graveyard outside. He tries to hide the slain corpses as good as he can. You see slight unease in his face, as he goes outside.

Spoiler: Ambience
    Show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLT0HNJLWw

As you open the door, you find a small chamber with a trapdoor leading downstairs. The room houses most things you would need for embalming and several other nonmagical rituals. It reeks of chloroform, of rancid oils and death. You hear a being scutter down there. When Doru notices you, he falls silent.

As you open the trap door, you only see darkness beyond. Even Kouran's Elven eyes see nothing but a floor made of trampled dirt, a table in the middle of the room and the footprints of a creature. As you go down and form a protective circle around the wooden stairs, Doru jumps from behind and grabs Kyran's shoulder from behind. In its hungering rage, the vampire spawn Doru misses your neck and digs its vile teeth deep into your protected shoulder.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

Who is going to be hit: (1d6)[4] (Kyran by virtue of the listing in the first OOC post)
    Doru Stealth vs. Kyran's passive perception of 13: (1d20+6)[15]
    Advantage on grapple: (1d20+6)[12](1d20+6)[24]
    Bite attack: (1d20+6)[14]
    DC to escape grapple: 13 (Acrobatics or Athletics)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran yells as the thing latches on, trying to slip away even as his construct goes on the offensive, the stone creature lashing out.

Show
    Acrobatics check to try and bugger out (1d20+2)[14]
    Bastion's attack (1d20+4)[7] (1d8+2)[8]
    Bastion will use its Defensive pounce ability to impose disadvantage on any attack Doru makes against a target other than Bastion

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran's heart pounded with tension that flowed quickly to wrath as he moved in with his rapier. "By all that's holy, I will put you to rest!"

Spoiler
    Show

Bonus Action: Channel Divinity (Vow of Enmity)

Attack: (1d20+6)[15] or (1d20+6)[26] + (1d4)[4]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7]

15. - Top - End - #165

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox was surprised by the lunge, even with his darkvision, he hadn't seen Doru until he was already clinging to Kyran. He wondered how he could have missed him. But even as he thought of it, the squirrel leapt onto the vampire's back, distracting it enough to give the gnome a clear shot. Sprockebox took it, aiming true wiyh his finger, though cautious lest he injure Kyran in the act, the spell was less powerful than his average cast.

Show
    Ray of Frost: 2#1d20+5 23 9 2#1d8 1 2
    Squirrel helping for advantage. (Or to negate disadvantage.)
    Also, I used the wrong syntax in my attack roll. Sorry, just means he hit a 23 but only deals 1 damage.
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2019-09-29 at 09:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Clover followed Kouran's lead, chilled by air but feeling no fear. He could feel the Lucky Drunk himself guiding his blade, after all.
    Show
    Gonna attac
    Attac (1d20+5)[8] + (1d4)[4]
    Damage (1d8+3)[4]

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia fires an arrow at Doru as her other spells would hurt her nearby friends and squirrel.

Show
    To Hit:(1d20+4)[12]
    Damage:(1d8+2)[10]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Kyran struggles but breaks free. Moments later a fllash of light douses the room in a bright yellow glow as Kouran strikes at the vampire spawn. Doru grasps the slash in his side that is still glowing bright from the holy energy, he hisses and looks at Kouran. He attacks the paladin blindly as his eyes have adjusted to the dark for months but his second claw embeds himself in Kouran's armor, and with supernatural strength, the vampire pulls the half-elf closer.

Show
    Claw swipes (1d20+6)[7]
    Bite: (1d20+6)[18], Kouran is grappled
    Grapple vs. DC 13 "Escape check" (Acrobatics or Athletics)

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran slips free, and moves off to the side, bringing the musket up as he turns to face Doru. He fires the weapon at the side of the vampire's chest, hoping to help knock the thing away from Kouran.

Show
    Musket attack (1d20+5)[24] (1d12+3)[11]
    Bastion attack (1d20+4)[19] (1d8+2)[8]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran worked free and struck back frantically at the vampire-spawn, trying to put it down after the close call. The next one might not be so easy.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[26] or (1d20+6)[10] + (1d4)[2]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[10]

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

As Kouran's magical slashes strike true, you can see the vampire shrug off the blows of the musket. They impact the creature but get absorbed in its body, with the wounds partially healing. What is worse that even the shining wound Kouran did begins to loose its luster and close down.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"Sprocket tell your fuzzy companion that it shall be hot!" Drastia casts Bonfire where Doru stands in hopes that flames would cause it more harm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any creature in the bonfire’s space when you cast the spell must
    succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the saving throw when it moves into the bonfire’s space for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there

23. - Top - End - #173

GnomeWizardGuy

"Fuzzy? Er, Oh! Okay!"

The gnome mentally commands the squirrel to disengage as he aims freezing magic at Doru once again.

Show
    Ray of Frost: 1d20+5 18 1d8 4

Squirrel uses disengage and returns to SB.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran grimaces as his shot has minimal effect on the vampire, but he doesn't have much choice save to keep firing.

Show
    Musket shot (1d20+5)[24] (1d12+3)[14]
    Bastion bite attack (1d20+4)[18] (1d8+2)[5]

Don't forget that Bastion will be using its reaction each round to impose disadvantage on Doru's first attack.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Drastia summons elemental fire to the feet of Doru who is quick enough to dodge away. This distraction gives Sprocketbox enough time to hit.

Clover slices at the vampire but his blade is stopped halfway so he has to jank it back before being disarmed. At the same time, Orvin incants a prayer towards the light again that is quickly whisked away by an enveloping, almost fierce darkness.

You have imprisoned me for too long, father. I have found my own benefactor. Doru whispers before the shadows elongate and try to grasp you. At the same time, his wounds start to close up. He then flees into a corner, putting his back to a wall.

Doru seems heavily injured but his undead vigor keeps him going.

Show
    Doru casts Arms of Hadar: Roll a DC 11 Strength check or take (2d6)[5] necrotic damage and cannot take reactions (which means no opportunity attack).
    Vs. Drastia Bonfire save (1d20+6)[15]
    Vs. Orvin Sacred Flame save (1d20+6)[16]
    Clover attack (1d20+5)[22]
    Clover damage (1d20+3)[10]

New turn, everyone can go.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran aimed another thrust at the fleeing enemy, shrugging off the spell, and paused only to ask "where's this benefactor now?"

Before waiting for an answer he pressed the attack in an attempt to finally put his enemy down before he could recover.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack of Opportunity: (1d20+6)[23] or (1d20+6)[17] + (1d4)[1]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[10]

Attack Action: (1d20+6)[21] or (1d20+6)[10] + (1d4)[3]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]

27. - Top - End - #177

GnomeWizardGuy

Doru was a dark shape in a dark world. But Sprocketbox's eyes followed him easily. Now the vampire had pigeonholed gimself into a corner, limiting his ability to dodge as another blast of frost struck out from the mage's fingers, striking home once again.

Show
    Ray of Frost: 1d20+5 25 1d8 1
    CRIT: (1d8)[1]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Buffeted by black tendrils, Clover whispers a quick hymn to keep himself going, follows with another jab, and mutters, "It's not your father that's had you imprisoned, love."

Show
    Strength Save (1d20-1)[10]

I cast Stab Vampire
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d8+3)[11]

I didn't realize that concentration spells function differently from Pathfinder, so I'll try an incorporate them more in the future. :P

EDIT: He's also going to use his bonus action to hast healing words on himself. Rolled in OOC, healed for 7 damage.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2019-10-12 at 12:09 PM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran fires again, trying to keep up the assault even as he directs his stony companion to follow Doru and do the same.

Show
    Musket Attack (1d20+5)[20] damage (1d12+3)[14]
    Bastion Bite Attack (1d20+4)[17] damage (1d8+2)[4]
    Bastion str check vs tentacles (1d20+2)[15]
    Bastion AOO (IFF above is passed) (1d20+4)[19] damage (1d8+2)[7]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Doru dodges Sprocketbox's Frostbolt somewhat but splinters of ice embed themselves in his right eye. Blood droplets form, as some kind of bloody tears. That is when Kouran first lashes out at the enveloping shadow, then at the spawn itself. In all of that chaos, Kyran manages to catch his breath, calm down and shoot at the vampire. One last shot, precise, painless, professional.

You hit Doru in the temple. His head janks back, and first you think the vampire is standing again. He slumps down to his knees. How befitting that I die in darkness. Just the way I lived.

A barely noticable gust pulls Doru apart as dust specks form where his physical form once was. Slowly, like a marble statue eroded by a centuries of erosion, his physical form just blows apart.

Thank you heroes... you hear in the howling wind.