New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] Curse of Strahd Chapter 1: The Dark Lord Strahd

Kyran sighs as Doru finally falls. Rubbing his neck where the vampire spawn had almost bit him, he says, "The father was not kidding when he said Doru was especially weak. Now do you have some idea of why I wanted to wait and rest a little first? We got lucky."

Once back above, he seeks out Father Donavitch. "It is done, I heard Doru thank us at the end. He has a chance at peace now."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"When we can we should hold a toast in his honor as a form of respect."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-10-12 at 04:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

"He's at peace now," Kouran echoed. "And we must be off, before we make any more trouble for the good Father."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox watches Doru's form disintegrate with a bemused look on his face. This world was fool of strange surprises. Still, the gnome went up to the pile of ash that had been Doru, and poked his toe through it tonsee uf anything of substance and/value had been left over.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

As you exit the cellar, you can hear a mix of voices.

Vitali, I beg you. Leave this gods forsaken place. Strahd was here, and he threatened me that the town will suffer if you congregate here. Just go. you can hear Donovich's voice.

As you approach you can see the tall guy from the inn that tried to get you kicked out. He seemingly rallied the angry mob to his side, and led it towards the church. No, Donovich. I will not accept THEIR arrival here. He points at the lot of you. These foreigners always pulls the Lord's attention. They need to get out. Tonight. He crosses his arms in front of his chest, showing big muscles and an even bigger beer gut.

You see Donovich's stance shift as he hears the news. His slumped over apologetic demeanor is almost vanished. If you do not heed reason, I hereby command you: In the name of the Morninglord, I command you to leave. This is a place of worship, not war. An awkward pause follows. As Vitali inhales to unleash another rant at the priest, suddenly a faint glow emits from the altar up north.

Ambience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjFIwbvzo8

First a small glow, its light glows every more radiant, until you all feel like the sun has risen again inside the building. The main stained glass window depicting a middle aged man in yellow robes holding a scepter with a radiant orb starts to glow as well. Through the cracks in the ceiling you can see a beam of pure sunlight piercing through the shadows and mists of Barovia, revealing actual sunlight and a blueish-violet evening sky. If you check any direction other than the chapel and town you can still see the gloomy atmosphere and enveloping darkness. But it seems, that you created a pillar of light.

My son is safe again. Donovich breaks down and cries.

Spoiler: Divine Casters
    Show
    You can feel a familiar divine touch here, even if distant.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran falls to his knees, smiling for the first time since the group had met him as he looks up at the suddenly sunlit visage of the morninglord. He hastily sets his musket down and fishes out an amulet from his clothing, wanting his personal holy symbol to touch the radiance.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Drastia smiles as wide as she could, for once in this place the veil of oppressive doom is lifted and she can see a future for this place that doesn't lead to neverending darkness.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Kyran's amulet resonates with the light and warms up significantly. It has always felt strangely warm, like the embrace of a good friend, but this is new. You even feel it slightly vibrating but you are stumped on what could unlock the secret behind it. You do know that some magical items need to be attuned to the right person, but the rarity of such commodities and the even rarer sight of worthy wearers of such items made it very difficult to research stuff like that on your own.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Kouran found himself speechless, clutching Cayden's holy symbol upon its chain. Despite all his words to his companions, let alone himself, his faith had begun to waver. This was a sign, literally as clear as day, that the righteous gods of their homelands could still reach them in this forsaken place—and that this place was not wholly forsaken after all.

When Donovich broke down, Kouran instinctively moved to prop him up. He didn't want a confrontation with the villagers but he wasn't about to gainsay a priest who'd just got his faith back. He simply looked to the crowd to gauge their reaction to the miracle they'd all just witnessed.

10. - Top - End - #190

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox looked up as the sunlight broke through, leaving small sunbeams here and there throughout the church. Then he smiled and walked up to Donovich. "See! Now that's something priestly! Keep it up and you won't need our help to run Strahd right out of town! He's afraid, you know, afraid of the power of your faith. THAT is why he torments you, to break your spirit. Because if your faith is gone, you aren't a threat."

That is what he wanted to say anyways, unfortunately, as the gnome walked up, the villagers eyed him, especially the big trouble maker. And so his speech just didn't come out nearly how he'd imagined saying it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wrote the speech and then figured I'd roll for effect. Diplomacy: 1d20 3
    Yep! Just about how I feel every time I try to speak in public. LOL

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Scratching his forehead, Clover mutters, "Well, wasn't expecting to see that, strange to say!"

Following up on the gnome, the satyr asks the crowd, "When was the last time you saw the sun around here, anyway? Might be a bit presumpitive of me to say but I think thing'd still be quite gloomy had we not come along, aye?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll for persuasion (1d20+5)[13]

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

You get the general idea that there is a schism between Donovich and the general populace. You hear some people tell the reiterate that the gods forsake this place long ago. When the small robed gnome begins to utter their speech, some woman lays a finger on your lips as if to shush an insolent child. Then you remember that people here think you're a weird kid for the most part.

As the Morninglord pierces the veil between Barovia and his realm, most of the crowd doesn't even acknowledge it. They look straight at you and ignore the miracle. A few more spritely people react in very different ways. Most fear the light, some smile at it, some look at you or the priest Donovich as if they're some kind of warlock.

Very well, goat demon. the leader spits out. You have until tomorrow at dawn to pack your things and leave. this means you as well, Ireena. He turns around. We are done here. Any able men meet me tomorrow at dawn in front of the old burgomaster's mansion. We will turn it into a warehouse. Then the angry procession follows him like sheep following their shepherd.

Ireena is left dumb-founded. She stood at the side of Donovich during your encounter with the vampire, seemingly expecting people would listen to her as the daughter of the burgomaster. But nothing like that.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran joins the others, muttering to himself, "Fools, damned ungrateful fools." Looking to the others, the smith flatly states, "You are more capable than most outsiders I have met, and the Morninglord has blessed our efforts here. I will be joining you."

14. - Top - End - #194

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox swats the woman's hand away. "Hey lady! I'm older than you are! He listens to the ultimatum, frowning at the zealous adherence to the ringleader's words. "You're the ones doing the forsaking! Donovich here's just reconnected with his god! Maybe you should try following his exxample."

Once the mob had gone, he rurns to Irena. [Color=skyblue]"I think they mean it, we'd better go collect anything you don't want to lose. Unruly mobs have unfortunate tendencies wgenbit comes to other peoples things."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

You can see a sparkle in Ireena's eyes. Yes, Master Sprocketbox, I agree. Be my guests for this night. And there is something I need to tell you all. But not here. Ireena leads the way straight back from the graveyard.

Orvin agreed to help Donovich consecrate the dead again and rebury all of them.I may help guard this place. It might be our best bet to leave this realm, if it is left unspoiled. With these words he carries the first dead body down into the crypt where you encountered Doru.

As you return to the burgomaster's home, you hear the sound of small, wooden wheels rolling across damp cobbles. You trace the lonely sound to a hunched figure bundled in rags, pushing a rickety wooden cart through the fog. Hehe, want to taste old Morgantha's dream pastries, do ya? Remove ya from the woes of this world. Only one gold a pie. Share it with your friends! she asks, unpacking an unbelievably tasty minced meat pie.

She appears to ask Drastia and Clover as they seem the most pleasure oriented of you all. But Morgantha will see to you all if you wish.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-10-22 at 02:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Just as quickly as he was moved near to religious ecstasy, Kouran was snapped back to sober reality with the realization that most of the townsfolk didn't even see what had just happened. A few, at least, had some inkling. Hope was not fully lost but the road ahead was long, and it seemed to him, extremely precarious.

When Morgantha arrived, Kouran was not in a trusting mood. "Remove you how? And for how long?" he wondered aloud. He'd seen what people without hope would do to get a brief, blissful moment of induced oblivion, and he considered the whole enterprise a gross perversion of what his faith stood for.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

The old crone giggles. That is Morgantha's secret, my dear. You eat it before snuggling into a nice and comfortable bed. It will bring pleasant dreams. She smiles a toothless smile. Help an old girl out, will ya. Help me to help you.

18. - Top - End - #198

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox sensed nonmalice fromnthe old woman and started digging around in his coin pouch for the price of a single pie. He hadn't had food in a while, and fighting undead always made him hungry.

"Ooh! I wonder if it'll let me see the Emerald Dream! I've always wanted to know what the Night Elves were talking about."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Ah yes child. So innocent, yet the first one to taste the dream pastries. She opens her cart and lets you pick one of her pastries. Not warm anymore, you smell the meat immediately. Its smell is pleasant, it reminds you of home. Sprocketbox reminds it of the pies eaten in Northrend's Inns, when overseeing the vast Stormpeaks and taking breaks from the exhileration of flying an impressive gryphon, or maybe more apt, a gnomish flying apparatus.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran keeps moving towards the mansion, only stopping when it was clear Morgana had caught interest. He looks back with some irritation.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

"If the ingredients are a secret, I'm afraid I must decline," Kouran began, trying to be as diplomatic as he could. "And we've a long night ahead of us—I doubt we'll have time for a good night's sleep."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I do like a good pie..." Clover states to himself, although it wasn't too long ago that they'd had issues with another meat pie merchant, "...Ain't nothing too gross in here, is there?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+3)[14] Insight

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no deary. Just granny's best ingredients. Now you have a nice evening, and watch out for the fog. Warmly smiling, the old woman is off. You quickly approach the mansion, ignoring any other potential distraction in said alley, you enter the burgomaster's mansion.

Spoiler: Burgomaster's Mansion
    Show

By far the most impressive mansion in town, when you ignore the mansion that disappeared for Kyran and his fellow adventurers, the burgomaster's mansion is a two story building. As you enter you can't really see a gigantic house that you'd parts into "wings" but you can assume there is enough space for you all to find a place to sleep. Ireena excuses herself to the library after showing each of you their bed.

Kyran will be allowed to use the master bedroom with his family, by virtue of his wife and kid fearing the mob and wanting to stay close to the heroes. Drastia will share her room with Ireena. Sprocketbox and Kouran will share the servant's quarters.

If you explore you can find plenty of food in the kitchen, though most is preservable food though of decent quality: Beef jerky, smoked bacon, apples, root vegetables, lentils, cheeses, flour, even a few jars of honey. It lacks easily perishable foodstuffs like milk and eggs. It has a chicken coop and a pig pen out on the backside but as you enter it, the smell of rot and decay greets you. The foul carcasses of two pigs and half a dozen chicken are laying there. It seems Strahd's siege on the mansion has taken its toll, but the burgomaster did not die from starvation.

If you check the mansion further you can see a dedicated washing room, a bureau next to the entry hall, and a decently sized room to accomodate all of you to plan ahead. A crude map is pinned on the wall.

Spoiler: Barovia Map
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

"Oh yes, finally a place of comfort! It's been far too long!" Drastia sighs contently as she plops onto the bed. I can practically sleep all day if it weren't for the scary things to watch out for. Once I have a bit more time maybe I can pick some plants and go for some non spell type hobbies. Like shape shifting, flying and making my own brew. Oh it's been so long since I made my own spirits in tribute to Cayden."
    Last edited by Wind-Up Citrus; 2019-10-26 at 04:07 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran settles his family into the master bedroom, assuring them things will be all right. He then seeks out Ireena, "I don't know if my wife and son are safe in this town anymore, not with our neighbors having lost the last of their senses. I think they should leave with us."

"I don't know where you had thought to go, but might I suggest that we make for Vallaki? My family should be safe enough there, and we can probably find a few answers that might help with your brother within those walls."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-10-26 at 04:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

GnomeWizardGuy

After a little reminiscing over his pie, Sprocketbox sets to exploring the mansion. He started his adventure with a carefully set up ritual, but was soon giving the building a good look over. There was no end to possibilities in a building so old, and he did his level best to look around for anything that might be useful to them later.

[Spoiler=OOC]Ritually cast Detect Magic and then doing some searching. SB has a +5 trained Investigation check. Figured you may want to make a secret roll if there is something to find. If not, he just has a good time rummaging about anyways.[/OOC]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

As Drastia rummages she sadly does only find half a bottle of a brown liquid, probably brandy or some sort of wine spirits. As usual in Barovia however, the burgomaster has an impressive winery. Mostly red wines, they range from dry to sweet. Beer and ale seem not to be available, as for water, the garden has its own well. As you step out into the cold night air, the garden immediately looks neglected and barren. Underneath the undergrowth you can make out several patches meant for vegetables. The garden even has a rose bush that has overtaken almost half of the area now. The other edge has a bower to sit in with wild wine. You may be able to pick a few grapes.

As Kyran mentions his concern, Ireena tries to calm him down. It does not seem that way, but you know people are just scared. I assume now that Strahd is watching us, your family would be more in danger travelling with us rather than staying home. They seem harsh at a time but I don't think Barovians would stoop to such lows. Nimira chimes in, cradling the half-asleep Adrian in her lap. I would love nothing more than to rip Strahd's face off for stealing our son but I think Ireena is right. If we need help, I assume Oleg will aid us, my love. If you think you would like us to move to Vallaki, I am unsure what could be better over there. The town is as close to the castle as Barovia, and we don't know anyone over there.

Sprocketbox is investigating the mansion. but does really not pick up much in the ways of magical items. This realm seems to be much more mundane than any part of Azeroth you've been in. Eventually your interest is drawn to the library. After all, if you want to learn about these lands, reading or at least skimming books is the best way to do so.

Spread across several books you learn that Strahd is centuries old and said to be part of a curse laid upon the lands of Barovia for long forgotten atrocities of its people. The demon Strahd controls the mists and everyone who enters them wishing to leave chokes on them and perishes lest they turn around. The Vistani - a local group of wandering traders, artisans and artists - and all ravens are known to be servants and informants of Strahd.

You might want to read this. It is written by a foreign adventurer - like you. Ireena says and hands you a small leather bound book. It is a diary, locked by an interesting numberlock. The whole book radiates faint abjuration magic, as if to protect the pages from damage.

998 YK, Zol Barrakas
    This obviously is not Thrane anymore. An odd storm has swept our expedition into this nightmarish realm. We feared we stepped onto Dal Quor, but this plane seems different from the region of dreams. The locals are hostile, they feel we are trouble makers. Not too far from the truth, I am afraid. Jorvo said he heard people talking about a ghostly procession in this town at night. The halfling also said people talked about it like it was regular market day. It is weird, and while my gut instinct says not to investigate, I can't help but to feel curious.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-10-30 at 02:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

GnomeWizardGuy

Sprocketbox nods to Ireena and then reads the pertinent details in the diary before moving on to the rest of the library. He's particularly curious as to Strahd's obsession with Ireena and particularly the name he liked to call her. Perhaps it would be the key to dealing with him.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Kyran frowns, "I don't know. The sun shone on the church today. I felt the Morninglord's light and warmth. I wish you had seen it, it was beautiful, oh so beautiful. It was the clearest sign I have seen in my lifetime that we are not abandoned here. But our neighbors didn't care, I think Strahd owns them now, body and soul. I doubt they would hesitate to hurt you to please him, and I don't think Oleg will be able to stop them."

The smith looks down, unsure of what to do or say, finally he looks up again, "This group is the best hope we have of doing something about Strahd, and the Morninglord has blessed our efforts together. I am sorry, but I must go with them. I cannot say which path is safer, going with us, or remaining here, but I will not make you abandon our home. The choice is yours. If you do decide to stay, keep in touch with Donovitch, his faith at least has been rekindled, he should be able to hide you if things begin to go poorly."
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-10-28 at 04:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

"Who knows where our trip will take us?" Kouran pointed out. "And it seems to me, we can't assume the folk in the next village over will be any more accommodating. In fact the foe may see fit to turn the commonfolk against us whenever and wherever possible."