New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Alternate Names for Devils

The title pretty much says it. I'm not really a fan of the name "devils" for everyone's favorite LE fiends. Not really sure why, I just don't really like the name. Does anyone know of any cool alternative names I could use rooted in history, mythology, etymology, etc.? (also feel free to tell us about how you prefer to run devils)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Alternate Names for Devils

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzlefoot View Post
    The title pretty much says it. I'm not really a fan of the name "devils" for everyone's favorite LE fiends. Not really sure why, I just don't really like the name. Does anyone know of any cool alternative names I could use rooted in history, mythology, etymology, etc.? (also feel free to tell us about how you prefer to run devils)
    Fallen or Hierarchs inside the setting, or you could take some of the Sumerian terms like Uttuku or Rasbisu.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Fallen or Hierarchs inside the setting, or you could take some of the Sumerian terms like Uttuku or Rasbisu.
    Ooh, I do rather like Uttuku.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ooh, I do rather like Uttuku.
    Uttuku were the classification of demons that waited in empty places for people, and while originally they were more beast-men then our image of demon they certainly serve (all of the goat imagery.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

D&D has also called them Baatezu, on account that they live in the Nine Hells of Baator (and to escape a certain real-life "panic"). It is said that Baatezu overthrew an ancient race of super-devils called the Baatorians.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Well, what is their origin and nature in your setting?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Another option is simply not to give them a name. That adds to their mystique.

For example, if there are a finite number of powerful devils, you simply refer to them by name or title. "This is the sign of Rafthagor," or "This place has been tainted by the presence of He Who Feasts on Innocence." It impresses on the players how well-known and feared these beings are.

Alternatively, refer to them, as a whole, conceptually. Similar to how terms like "The Fair Folk" came to be, where the idea was to refer to them generally rather than directly. For example, "The Powers Below," "The Beneath," "The Vile Ones," and so forth. Referring to them in this way is like referring to "He Who Must Not Be Named," with similar effect - it makes clear that these are creatures not even to be spoken of directly.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Demons, devils, the Wrathful, the Fallen, Nether Dwellers, the Brimstone Citizenry, lots of things without even going into mythology. Basically you can just name them like you would members of any other shadowy organization.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oni would be suitable, especially in a setting that draws on Japanese cultural themes.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daeva and Jinn are close to demons in that they come from nearby mythology and folklore. Asura, Fomorians, Jotun, Oni, Dalaketnon, or Jumbee would be other similar things from a bit further afield. You can go with something more descriptive of their specific role in your setting such as Children of Apophis (or another dark deity/theme), The Fallen, The Wretched, The Vile, etc.

If you want to simply keep the concept of lawful-evil creatures, but don't care about the trappings of a devil, you could go with a much wider set of options.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

PaladinGuy

Fallen Angels.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

If you're going with a classic D&D cosmology, then the archdevils ruling over each of the Nine Hells can be collectively called "The Nine" and regular devils can be called "Servants/Arbiters/Whatever of the Nine"
    Come check out my setting blog: Ruins of the Forbidden Elder

Inspired by LudicSavant, I am posting deities: Erebos, The Black Sun