New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Bloodied and Effects That Use It

Is there a comprehensive list of features and abilities that reference the bloodied condition?
    What features can you remember that reference the bloodied condition?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bloodied and Effects That Use It

Just off the top of my head, Tieflings get a +1 to hit Bloodied creatures, and Dragonborn get a +1 to hit when they are bloodied.

Also, becoming Bloodied causes true dragons to recharge and immediately use their breath weapon.

That's just the first things that come to mind.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

3. - Top - End - #3

Dragon Sorcerers get a +2 to AC when bloodied.

Blood Fury weapons have an Encounter minor action to be treated as Bloodied until the end of your next turn.

Battlecrazed weapons give +1/2/3d6 by tier to damage when bloodied (Blood Fury gauntlet axe +1 and Battlecrazed weapon is a good combo), and have a daily minor action to be treated as bloodied

Cold Fury weapons give bonus cold damage when bloodied

Backlash Tattoo gives an immediate reaction MBA when first bloodied per Encounter

Ring of Fury gives 2 free action MBAs when first bloodied once per day

Bloodthread Armor gives a +2 item bonus to AC and saving throws when bloodied

The Infernal Eye Paragon Path's E11 if augmented 2 lets you treat enemies as bloodied for all effects.

The Turathi Highborn Paragon Path's F11 gives you a 1+CHA damage bonus versus bloodied enemies

Gauntlets of Blood give a +2/4/6 by tier bonus to damage against Bloodied enemies.
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2019-08-28 at 10:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Longtooth/Razortooth Shifters can activate their racial ability when bloodied.
    Warforged Resolve has an extra effect if the user is bloodied.
    Gnolls do bonus damage when bloodied.
    Deva have defense bonuses against attacks from bloodied creatures.
    Half-Orcs gain temp HP the first time they become bloodied each encounter.
    One of the Wilden racial powers triggers when a bloodied enemy attacks.
    One of the Genasi racial powers triggers when you are bloodied and are hit by an attack.
    Vyrloka take a penalty to their healing surge value when bloodied.

A ton of class/theme/paragon path/epic destiny/magic item features and powers care about bloodied in some manner, whether as a requirement for using a power, by granting extra effects based on bloodied statuses of allies/user/targets, having bonuses when bloodied/not bloodied/against (non-)bloodied enemies, etc.

A ton of monsters besides dragons recharge powers (but mostly don't use them immediately) and/or have various combat attributes modified upon becoming bloodied.

A comprehensive list of everything that cares about bloodied strikes me as being very prone to bloat. Is there a specific reason you're looking into this?

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

You guys are amazing! Thanks. Let me know if you think of something else! :D

I'm looking at what might be fun to add if I decide to use bloodied for 5e. It's a very good mechanic that does amazing things for the narrative and spices up combat. So I'm cherry-picking 4e for its most thematic bloodied effects ^^

I don't want to go overboard and add bloodied effects everywhere. But the Life Cleric already has a feature that uses half-hit point value, as does exhaustion. Monsters are very good ways to showcase some bloodied effects.

I think the ones that strike the most 'must-have' are the Half-Orc and possibly Dragonborn one (it really fits the half orc). Then I can always add some magic weapons.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bloodied does wonders to show off the ANGRY foes and also constructed ones.

In the case of those that enrage, it's an easy thing to modify their attacks to make them deal more damage, make more of them, have them "cleave", have them push people back, etc.

In the case of constructed, it works really well to make the monster more vulnerable, loose an attack type, be reduced in speed, allow characters to crit on 18+, etc.

For necromancer/death-magic types, it works really well to have them deal more damage, or new effects when they target PCs that are bloodied (a PC is also slowed if below 50% hp after the attack, etc). Poison-types can also really benefit from this approach. It can also work for big brutes (the ogre's club knocks you down if you have less than 50% after the blow), or for "elemental" effects : you can't use reactions from lightning damage, you're slowed from cold, etc.

Try thinking about the "story" you want the mechanic to tell.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

4e's biggest mistake was using small static bonuses sometimes. To write them better:

Here we transform a static +1 bonus to a power boost resource that is mechanically similar:

Tieflings get a +1 to hit Bloodied creatures
    When you miss an attack and the target is bloodied, you can reroll your attack once. If this reroll hits, you cannot do this again until you take a short or extended rest.
    Dragonborn get a +1 to hit when they are bloodied.
    When you miss an attack while you are bloodied, you can reroll your attack once. If this reroll hits, you cannot do this again until you take a short or extended rest.

If you make ~20 attacks that qualify between rests, the +1 to hit makes 1 attack hit.

You could strip the "if the reroll hits" clause, but I like abilities that are reliable in the long term; it rewards tracking and using them. Abilities that could make a different (but never do) can be disappointing to track. And by making it only consume the token when it hits, it encourages using it in hail mary situations, and decreases decision paralysis.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2019-08-29 at 03:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

If you have the offline Compendium, type "bloodied" and choose what category - races, powers, creatures, magic items etc... - you're interested in. That's the fastest way to get a comprehensive list of when bloodied matters.

If you don't have the offline Compendium, then email me for all the offline tools:
    scrivenerofdoom
    at
    gmail
    dot
    com
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom