The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

Here we are! Finally beginning the adventure. First, let's discuss how you guys met. Any immediate requests or thoughts, or should I dig in myself?

Our Cast:

Imladir: Elyna
    Bansheexero: Hand of Fate

Our Setting:
    Spoiler: The Map
    Show

Last edited by Bobbyjackcorn; 2019-08-12 at 08:58 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

Hello, thanks, happy to be here :)

Regarding how we met, considering the Hand's BG, it seems likely that he was the one to initiate it. While Elyna doesn't advertise what she is (maybe simply not realising it herself, or simply refusing to admit it), it's not like she's particularly discreet. In fact, she's probably reasonably famous in some circles if for no other reason than she was born in Nather from two heroes, and really doesn't behave like it (which depending on who you talk to, can be a good or a bad thing...) so when you know what you're looking for, it's probably not that hard to connect the dots.

After that, it mostly depends on how the Hand wants to deal with it. Maybe they met and even talked a bit, which allowed him to get a first impression (while she probably wouldn't have paid much attention unless he mentioned some specific stuff)?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Thanks for selecting me. As for how the Samsaran came upon me, I would lean into her power set for story. Despite the rather low level (aside from high mythic tier), seeing as she is a Diviner, she could have cast divination spells to find some form of adventure or sort, which led her to Lao-Seth and had her bump into the Hand while he was concealing himself out of "luck." This event would serve as an omen that she was the Godling he was meant to support, seeing as nothing can detect him when he is hiding, so it would have to be sheer fate that caused it to happen. Beyond that, I would wait to see how fate folds out before us to determine what happens next.

The Samsaran will gain spells more rapidly than myself, and I can only use Augury 1/day. Unfortunately, while I can eventually learn Divination, that is a way off and a much higher level. Part of me suspects our interaction with each other might grant some form of empowerment in this regard, or we share a perspective on fate when either of us use divination (could serve as a potential boon, providing a means of communication via tapping into such spells, unique to our complementary abilities). Of course, that would be full Homebrew, but it would allow me to gain audience with Fate more readily, but signs and portents would be up to you.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-09 at 09:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Elyna was born in Lao-Seth (well, Nather just next door to be precise), so she doesn't really need to cast anything to go there. But that also means she spends quite a bit of time there so plenty of opportunities to meet.

I can definitely see Elyna be curious if she were to learn one way or another that someone was there without being able to see anything despite glitterdust / see invisibility or things like that, and try her best to find out who, how and why.

Maybe completely by accident (possibly because she was running after someone for a bet or something) she ran into you, cast a see invisibility but didn't see anything? A bit angry (because she lost the bet now and on top of that, that crash had hurt!) she cast a Create Pit spell that you fell into despite the odds being in your favour and she warned you that if you didnt show yourself she'd fill the pit with something unpleasant?

Not that you'd have to really show yourself at any point of course, she'd have probably cast a grease or something nasty but left after that, grumbling and holding her top on her bloody nose. It's not like she could maintain the pit forever after all and she couldn't know if you were inside or not in the first place. She would have thought she missed, but you'd have seen everything you needed to see.

What do you think?

For the divination stuff, I could grab the augury or divination spells from the Witch list if needed? I'd just replace Deadeye's Lore with it, it's not like that spell is particularly good after all (with Freedom of Movement next if I take both). In fact, as I think about it, it seems to be a much better fit to the character's theme. Thoughts Mr. GM?

Oh, and maybe it'd be a good idea to put links to the sheets and the setting's data in the first post of the thread?
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-10 at 03:08 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

The Hand is from Axis, so his Outlook is very black and white with regards to Law. Also, spells affect him differently. He is immune to charm, dominate, and hold person (as he requires the "monster" versions to affect him). He is repelled or trapped by magic circles against law, chaos hammer can fully harm him, and if his true name is known, he can be summoned via planar binding or planar ally. Both dismissal and banishment also apply to him. And let's not forget, he can only be resurrected by wish or miracle.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-10 at 05:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

It's alright, Elyna will be perfectly happy to educate the Hand on the Merits of breaking the law (even if she has zero chance of succeeding) ^^

Noted for the spells, though it's unlikely to really matter as far as she's concerned. And even if she were to get the True Name arcane discovery (which is unlikely in the first place), it wouldn't be for him.

I don't have access to True Resurrection, so that one doesn't really matter, and I didn't pick Resurrection from the Witch's list. I did however grab Regenerate, would that one (particularly the Epic version of it) work on the Hand?

Obviously I'll have access to (Mythic) Wish at some point and do some crazy stuff, but it's not anytime soon...

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

I believe if I die in Axis, I can be raised/resurrected normally (as I am considered a Native Outsider there, while I'm Extraplanar everywhere else), though like you said, you don't have access to those spells anyway.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Looks like it yeah.

Unlike most living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual natureóits soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, donít work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
    Source

Consequently, Mythic Regenerate should work just fine everywhere since it's a healing effect, not a resurrection one.

What would be my type on other planes? Extraplanar Humanoid [Samsaran] I guess?
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-10 at 09:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Looks like it yeah.

Source

Consequently, Mythic Regenerate should work just fine everywhere since it's a healing effect, not a resurrection one.

What would be my type on other planes? Extraplanar Humanoid [Samsaran] I guess?
    You are a humanoid, so you might just acquire the Extraplanar subtype. Not sure if that makes you subject to Banishment or Dismissal though. Interestingly, I don't need to eat or sleep apparently (though I believe rest is still needed to recuperate my spells and mythic power. You do not become an Outsider, so you are able to be affected by spells the same way no matter where you are.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-10 at 10:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Banishment and dismissal target extraplanar creatures, so I suppose I'll be a valid target anywhere outside of Lao-Seth (so...pretty much everywhere?).

You do not need to sleep or eat... except when you're on your own plane. For some reason, being at home makes you "weaker"?

For Mythic power, it just says "Each day, you can expend an amount of mythic power equal to 3 plus double your mythic tier (5/day at 1st tier, 7/day at 2nd, etc.)." without any mention of needing to sleep.
    For spells, it's probably pretty much the same: nowhere does it say that you need to sleep, rest, commune with a divinity or anything.

So... I suppose you're good to go? Probably just need to decide at which point everything resets (like dawn maybe?).
    Elyna will sleep though, so it's kind of a moot point ^^

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

Banishment and dismissal target extraplanar creatures, so I suppose I'll be a valid target anywhere outside of Lao-Seth (so...pretty much everywhere?).

You do not need to sleep or eat... except when you're on your own plane. For some reason, being at home makes you "weaker"?

For Mythic power, it just says "Each day, you can expend an amount of mythic power equal to 3 plus double your mythic tier (5/day at 1st tier, 7/day at 2nd, etc.)." without any mention of needing to sleep.
    For spells, it's probably pretty much the same: nowhere does it say that you need to sleep, rest, commune with a divinity or anything.

So... I suppose you're good to go? Probably just need to decide at which point everything resets (like dawn maybe?).
    Elyna will sleep though, so it's kind of a moot point ^^
    Well, not sure then, Native Outsider seems to specifically mean a connection to the Material plane. Axiomites are former planar petitioners (mortal souls after death, slowly adjusting to a different reality and eventually forming an Axiomite), so I may be off on my thoughts there.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Uh, that made me think of something: the only reason I have Enlarge Person (to say nothing of the Mythic version of it) is to cast it on you. But... It's only effective on humanoids, so you're not a valid target...

I'll switch the Mythic spell to Protection from Evil which has the advantage of also being useful for me (and take back my unseen servant). Unless you have a better idea?

13. - Top - End - #13

Devil

Uh, that made me think of something: the only reason I have Enlarge Person (to say nothing of the Mythic version of it) is to cast it on you. But... It's only effective on humanoids, so you're not a valid target...

I'll switch the Mythic spell to Protection from Evil which has the advantage of also being useful for me (and take back my unseen servant). Unless you have a better idea?
    Seems good, though Magic Missile becomes rather potent too. Not sure which way you want to handle that. Are you going more defensive? Go with Protection from Evil, otherwise go with Magic Missile if you want more damage. What did you select for the lvl 2 Mythic Spell?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

- Invisibility for myself since you pretty much have it constant. It won't allow Elyna to follow everywhere, but hopefully for the most important parts.
    - Shadow Anchor, to prevent the baddies (or at least one of them) from running. Or following I suppose.

Elyna

I thought about Magic Missile but was not a fan: it'd cost quite a bit of MP to use effectively, namely 3 (or more likely, one of my two uses of Mythic Spell power).
    That being said now that I really look at it, for this I can get six 2d4+1 missiles bypassing Shield and spell resistance with a line of sight range. That's between 18 and 54 (mean of 36) damage. Probably enough to one shot lots of stuff and at least heavily wound anything we're likely to meet. Expensive, but....

OK, ok, I'll remove Unseen Servant again, remove the Mythic version of Protection vs Evil and take Magic Missile (+Mythic). It can't hurt to have such a good long range option especially considering that it's not something you excel at.

And now I'll seriously look at getting Empower and Maximise. Since fireball is not fun, I'll probably add Elemental Spell (probably electricity) and Heighten. That's a lot of Metamagic feats, but hopefully Arcane Metamastery and/or Wild Arcana will make it worth it.
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-11 at 04:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Devil

Contemplating whether or not I should take Mythic Spellcasting at any point. Mostly, I plan to just take Extra Path ability when I can.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

For me, what really makes Mythic Spellcasting shine is the combo Wild Arcana + Mythic Spellpower: a few times per day, I can cast those mythic spells without preparing them, applying a bunch of Metamagic feats... Without having to pay a single MP. Without it, I'm not sure it'd be really worth it. Or at least, I'd probably not take the feat/ability more than once.

The Elemental Spell [Electricity] got me thinking though, and I'm going to take the Eldritch Heritage feat line to grab the Stormborn bloodline (and maybe later retrain into the Sorcerer VMC?).
    I've changed the feats on the sheet accordingly: since I don't have a metamagic feat anymore right now, Arcane Metamastery is useless, so I picked Flexible School [Admixture] instead - that I'll only use for lightning. A max of 10 times per rest is not likely to be a problem anytime soon: it's probably much better than Elemental Spell. Even if it doesn't count as a class feature (but it's an arcane school, and arcane schools are a wizard feature?), so not valid for Recuperation, it's still 10+ / day. Should be good enough?
    Plus, at M8+, I'll be able to transform Elemental energy around me to Electricity, that'll be even better, Elyna will be the queen of storms :) (Good thing you'll have Electricity Resistance 10 though, and I'll have to invest in that...) Uh nevermind, this only works against stuff whose CL is lower than my Mythic Tier... Not gonna happen...

In the end, I think I'll go with something like this with the Eldritch Heritage Spells:
    1: Skill Focus [Knowledge [Nature]]
    3: Eldritch Heritage [Stormborn]
    5: Empower Spell, Improved Initiative
    7: Improved Familiar
    9: Spell Penetration??
    10: Maximize Spell
    11: Eldritch Heritage, Improved [Stormborn]
    13: Heighten Spell
    15: Arcane Discovery [Steward of the Great Beyond]??
    17: Eldritch Heritage, Greater [Stormborn]
    19: Dazing Spell
    20: Arcane Discovery [Immortality]??

For the retrain to VMC, there's a disadvantage: I lose a feat. I'll probably pick Spell Penetration, at this point considering everything else, it probably won't matter all that much. With this there's a big advantage: the bloodline becomes a class feature, so I get every use back with Recuperation, which is a huge (I think?).

That'd give me:
    1: Improved Initiative, VMC - Bloodine [Stormborn]
    3: VMC - Bloodline Power [Stormborn]
    5: Empower Spell, Heighten Spell
    7: VMC - Improved Bloodline Power [Stormborn]
    9: Improved Familiar
    11: VMC - Blood Feat [Bloodline Mutation: Blood Piercing]
    13: Dazing Spell
    15: VMC - Greater Bloodline Power [Stormborn]
    17: Arcane Discovery [Steward of the Great Beyond]??
    19: VMC - True Bloodline Power

I seriously doubt it's the best I can do mechanically, but on top of giving Elyna a cool theme in addition to the divination stuff (and I'll of course pick all the spells related to that (and their mythic versions where I can)), the burden of actually damaging the baddies will not fall on your shoulders only, which is not bad...

Any opinion on all that?
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-12 at 02:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Devil

- Invisibility for myself since you pretty much have it constant. It won't allow Elyna to follow everywhere, but hopefully for the most important parts.
    - Shadow Anchor, to prevent the baddies (or at least one of them) from running. Or following I suppose.

Elyna

I thought about Magic Missile but was not a fan: it'd cost quite a bit of MP to use effectively, namely 3 (or more likely, one of my two uses of Mythic Spell power).
    That being said now that I really look at it, for this I can get six 2d4+1 missiles bypassing Shield and spell resistance with a line of sight range. That's between 18 and 54 (mean of 36) damage. Probably enough to one shot lots of stuff and at least heavily wound anything we're likely to meet. Expensive, but....

OK, ok, I'll remove Unseen Servant again, remove the Mythic version of Protection vs Evil and take Magic Missile (+Mythic). It can't hurt to have such a good long range option especially considering that it's not something you excel at.

And now I'll seriously look at getting Empower and Maximise. Since fireball is not fun, I'll probably add Elemental Spell (probably electricity) and Heighten. That's a lot of Metamagic feats, but hopefully Arcane Metamastery and/or Wild Arcana will make it worth it.
    I mean, either with Mythic feats or Mythic Path abilities, you can get multiple iterations of Mythic spells, which will broaden your repertoire. Protection vs alignment is oft overlooked.

Push comes to shove, I designed Atropos to kill pretty much anything (still has trouble striking Incorporeal targets, but it can act as a Troll Slayer thanks to Punishing Strike (Champion path ability) and can hit dragons quite readily with Unstoppable Strike (Legendary Item Ability). Wasn't sure if you were going to get Craft Magic Arms and Armor, so I took the Upgradeable item ability, otherwise I may have taken Eternal or Dedicated Bond. Curious how crafting magic items would work with you, since Wild Arcana gives you your entire list to cast from. Finding a way to make Mythic Golems would be cool too. You can even build mech suits essentially, as you can make Golems to serve as armor (I believe it is in Ultimate Magic).

Curious, however, if the GM will be starting the IC thread soon.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-11 at 10:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Goblin

Elyna was born in Lao-Seth (well, Nather just next door to be precise), so she doesn't really need to cast anything to go there. But that also means she spends quite a bit of time there so plenty of opportunities to meet.

I can definitely see Elyna be curious if she were to learn one way or another that someone was there without being able to see anything despite glitterdust / see invisibility or things like that, and try her best to find out who, how and why.

Maybe completely by accident (possibly because she was running after someone for a bet or something) she ran into you, cast a see invisibility but didn't see anything? A bit angry (because she lost the bet now and on top of that, that crash had hurt!) she cast a Create Pit spell that you fell into despite the odds being in your favour and she warned you that if you didnt show yourself she'd fill the pit with something unpleasant?

Not that you'd have to really show yourself at any point of course, she'd have probably cast a grease or something nasty but left after that, grumbling and holding her top on her bloody nose. It's not like she could maintain the pit forever after all and she couldn't know if you were inside or not in the first place. She would have thought she missed, but you'd have seen everything you needed to see.

What do you think?

For the divination stuff, I could grab the augury or divination spells from the Witch list if needed? I'd just replace Deadeye's Lore with it, it's not like that spell is particularly good after all (with Freedom of Movement next if I take both). In fact, as I think about it, it seems to be a much better fit to the character's theme. Thoughts Mr. GM?

Oh, and maybe it'd be a good idea to put links to the sheets and the setting's data in the first post of the thread?
    I'm sure what feels best to you will make the most organic character, I've got no direct opinion. I'll attempt to work in anything you guys bring to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    I believe if I die in Axis, I can be raised/resurrected normally (as I am considered a Native Outsider there, while I'm Extraplanar everywhere else), though like you said, you don't have access to those spells anyway.
    Outsiders that die in the following conditions within this setting suffer the following effects:

-An outsider that is on the material plane or any other plane to which the outsider does not share an alignment with who dies there has their body dissipate and return to their home plane. There they are either formed from chaotic creatia naturally in a number of years equal to 5 times their hit die, or should the plane allow it, be fast tracked into one week per hit die. Some exceptions to this abound, including oppositely aligned planes, which have a chance of corrupting the animus on death, for corrupted animus information, see below.
    -An outsider that is corrupted by another alignment (a lawful being that becomes chaotic in temperment, the inverse, a good being that becomes evil in temperment, or it's own inverse) becomes barred from conventional use of their home plane. In this occasion, the body persists on death in all places but their home plane, although it still requires special spells to resurrect it. This state is "divine torpor". The body can be then taken to any plane to which it is within one step of, to be petitioned to be returned to life. Should the plane's inhabitants accept, or the plane itself choose to accept, the body will return to life in one week per hit die.
    Should the body be taken to their home plane, or the outsider die in their home plane, there is a very good chance they will be broken down into their component essentia and repurposed as a brand new version of themselves within five years per hit die of the outsider.
    Outsiders can still be returned to life by typical spells that could do such in official pathfinder errata.

Okay guys, I just returned from vacation tonight, so I'm going to be setting things up, and we will officially begin at the moment of your meeting within the city of Lao-Seth. We will begin this Friday with an official in-character thread.
    In the meanwhile I'll be answering questions, posting maps, and generally filling you in on some of the goings on in the city up till now.
    Last edited by Bobbyjackcorn; 2019-08-11 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Accidentally misspoke

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I have both Crafting Mastery and Mythic Craft: I can craft everything and anything, don't worry about it. If you have the gold, I can do it, so you may as well take something else than Upgradable (there's still the benefit that it's faster but it probably doesn't matter all that much).

Between Wild Arcana and you, the only issue will be activated items (staves, wands, potions and scrolls I think?) for spells of a too high level for us. The rest, I can do.

For Mythic crafts... I probably won't have the room for it, but we'll see.

I'm sure what feels best to you will make the most organic character, I've got no direct opinion. I'll attempt to work in anything you guys bring to the table.
    Alright, I did take Augury and Divination then, the sheet is updated.

Okay guys, I just returned from vacation last night, so I'm going to be setting things up, and we will officially begin at the moment of your meeting within the city of Lao-Seth. We will begin this Friday with an official in-character thread.
    Noted. Hopefully I'm done with my tweaks on the character ^^

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

For me, what really makes Mythic Spellcasting shine is the combo Wild Arcana + Mythic Spellpower: a few times per day, I can cast those mythic spells without preparing them, applying a bunch of Metamagic feats... Without having to pay a single MP. Without it, I'm not sure it'd be really worth it. Or at least, I'd probably not take the feat/ability more than once.

The Elemental Spell [Electricity] got me thinking though, and I'm going to take the Eldritch Heritage feat line to grab the Stormborn bloodline (and maybe later retrain into the Sorcerer VMC?).
    I've changed the feats on the sheet accordingly: since I don't have a metamagic feat anymore right now, Arcane Metamastery is useless, so I picked Flexible School [Admixture] instead - that I'll only use for lightning. A max of 10 times per rest is not likely to be a problem anytime soon: it's probably much better than Elemental Spell. Even if it doesn't count as a class feature (but it's an arcane school, and arcane schools are a wizard feature?), so not valid for Recuperation, it's still 10+ / day. Should be good enough?
    Plus, at M8+, I'll be able to transform Elemental energy around me to Electricity, that'll be even better, Elyna will be the queen of storms :) (Good thing you'll have Electricity Resistance 10 though, and I'll have to invest in that...)

In the end, I think I'll go with something like this with the Eldritch Heritage Spells:
    5: Empower Spell, Improved Initiative
    9: Spell Penetration??
    11: Eldritch Heritage, Improved [Stormborn]
    13: Heighten Spell
    17: Eldritch Heritage, Greater [Stormborn]

For the retrain to VMC, there's a disadvantage: I lose a feat. I'll probably pick Spell Penetration, at this point considering everything else, it probably won't matter all that much. With this there's a big advantage: the bloodline becomes a class feature, so I get every use back with Recuperation, which is a huge (I think?).

That'd give me:
    1: Improved Initiative, VMC - Bloodine [Stormborn]
    3: VMC - Bloodline Power [Stormborn]
    5: Empower Spell, Heighten Spell
    7: VMC - Improved Bloodline Power [Stormborn]
    9: Improved Familiar
    11: VMC - Blood Feat [Bloodline Mutation: Blood Piercing]
    13: Dazing Spell
    15: VMC - Greater Bloodline Power [Stormborn]
    17: Arcane Discovery [Steward of the Great Beyond]??
    19: VMC - True Bloodline Power

I seriously doubt it's the best I can do mechanically, but on top of giving Elyna a cool theme in addition to the divination stuff (and I'll of course pick all the spells related to that (and their mythic versions where I can)), the burden of actually damaging the baddies will not fall on your shoulders only, which is not bad...

Any opinion on all that?
    You ninja'd me when I was going to make a double post, and now I am legitimately making a double post (copy and paste is difficult on my phone, so I can't really append another quote to my previous post). Anyway, I don't play full casters all that often (when I do, it is typically a witch), so not sure what advice to give.

As I said, my custom race (using a rules variant I designed based off of VMC to balance more powerful races) eats 4 of my feats. Ironically, thanks to Student of Philosophy, I can act as a face sometimes (chalk that up to his Axiomatic reasoning allows him to out-logic people into thinking the way he does).

I don't acquire crystalline dust form until much later (level 11), so I am reliant upon my current ability modifiers to edge out most opponents (Level 7 will give me +2 Str and +2 Int, and increase my bonus to Craft skills), so my base non-mythic chassis will be a little hobbled with feat progression.

1st - Power Attack
    3rd - Tier 1
    5th - Furious Focus
    7th - Tier 2
    9th - Vital Strike
    11th - Tier 3 (primarily gain Crystalline Dust form and flight)
    13th - Improved Vital Strike
    15th - Tier 4 (highlights include immunity to disease, improved flight manueverability, increased elemental resistances, and DR 5/Chaos)
    17th - Improved Initiative
    19th - Combat Reflexes or Toughness

Edit- you ninja'd me again, lol. I think I'll keep upgradeable, since it allows me to make Atropos +1 at this low a level (costs 1000 gp, which is factored into its cost already). Also, your storm focus reminds me of another one of my Pantheons (influenced more by the Ancient Greek Dodekatheon (12 major gods)), particularly Shindra, goddess of storms (though she is more of a repurposing of Artemis into a protector rather than a hunter, Torrin (the sun god) and his brother (would need to find the write-up I have, since I forget his name) have Heaven and the Underworld as their domains, while Shindra acts as a barrier between the two as well as making sure the Gigantae (Cross between Greek Titans and Norse Giants) don't rise up again and also guards travelers.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-11 at 11:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

That might have a lot to do with you being on your mobile...and not me :)

Regarding the bloodline, I didn't want Fire (bleh, not cool), acid even less (sounds messy...). And the cold bloodlines are less appealing than Stormborn. Plus, I like the idea of Elyna playing with lightning. Granted it's not particularly original either, but with four choices, it's not like originality is even possible...

I considered Student of Philosophy yeah, and it'd be really good, especially considering my INT. But I didn't dump Charisma (and don't want to), and there are plenty of ways to get bonuses on Charisma rolls. Plus, among the following changes, there's the fact that I took Display of Charisma, so...

Anyway, I made a mistake, again, this time regarding Admixture that I get with Flexible School. Versatile Evocation works just fine, but Elemental Manipulation is useless: I'd be able to manipulate energy sources with a CL lower than my Mythic Tier. By the time I get it, it might already be useless, and it only gets worse from there...

So... I'll remove Flexible School [Admixture] and replace it with... Ha, that's a good question right there. I don't (yet) have a Metamagic feat, so I'm not going to take Arcane Metamastery.

But... But... I'm discovering new options, namely [Mythic] Eldritch Heritage (prerequisite the non-mythic version and skill focus). So for the cost of one mythic and two normal feats, I get the equivalent of the full VMC, or the 4 feats from the Eldritch Heritage line and I get the missing power on top of that. Still can't get the level 20 capstone (unless level 22...), but it's not like I could have it before anyway.
    Except... Except with Robe of Arcane Heritage: for a measly 16k (so 7'600 crafted), I get +4 to my effective Sorcerer level to determine the effects of the bloodline powers...but also to determine to which of those I have access! That's pretty awesome. Lightnings everywhere!
    I lose 10 mythic spells in the skirmish, the bloodline powers are thematically cool but I'm not sure I'll use them, so I don't doubt that as far as the system is concerned...it's not worth it. But meh, who cares. Hopefully 20 Mythic spells will be enough...

--------
    5: Improved Initiative, Elemental Spell [Electricity]
    9: Empower Spell
    11: Heighten Spell
    13: Intensifed Spell
    17: Spell Penetration

For M6+, it will depend heavily on what level we are when we reach those. Or at least the order will, the choices themselves should be those.
    M1 - Wild Arcana, Perfect Preparation, Mythic Spell Lore
    M2 - Crafting Mastery
    M3 - Mythic Spellpower, Mythic Craft
    M4 - Display of Charisma
    M5 - Mirror Dodge, Component Freedom
    --------
    M6 - Mythic Spellpower
    M7 - Arcane Metamastery, Channel Power
    M8 - Mythic Bloodline
    M9 - Mythic Eldritch Heritage [Stormborn], Mythic Spellpower
    M10- True Archmage, Mythic Spellcasting

Oh and... I changed Elyna's weapon from a Quarterstaff to a Longspear. No, she can't use it of course (-4 to hit...), it doesn't matter: the goal is just to not risk seeing Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff at some point. At least a Longspear can be cool, especially when she uses her Thunderstaff bloodline ability to make it shocking! It's still not useful in any way, but it's cool, it counts for a lot :D

22. - Top - End - #22

Goblin

Oh and... I changed Elyna's weapon from a Quarterstaff to a Longspear. No, she can't use it of course (-4 to hit...), it doesn't matter: the goal is just to not risk seeing Favored Weapon: Quarterstaff at some point. At least a Longspear can be cool, especially when she uses her Thunderstaff bloodline ability to make it shocking! It's still not useful in any way, but it's cool, it counts for a lot :D
    Spears *are* indeed cool, Longspears particularly. I'm glad you guys are so vibrant in discussion thus far!

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

I mean, at Mythic 6+, I feel like I'm locked into a pattern
    M6 - Legendary Item (Major Artifact)
    M7 - Mythic Sight x2 (via Extra Path Ability (EPA))
    M8 - Shatter Spells
    M9 - Farwalker x2 (EPA)
    M10 -Open (I suspect I might go Aerial Assault or Sweeping Strike)

As for my Legendary Item
    M6 - Returning (second iteration, can travel across planar boundaries)
    M7 - Dedicated Bond
    M8 - Eternal Bond
    M9 - Recuperation
    M10 - Powerful

Divine Source would make us more akin to gods, though my character is godlike in power, whilst merely being an Agent of a Cosmic Source. I mean I have the room for that ability, but not sure how it would play out (Law and Luck would be my focal domains, but a little unsure if it would allow for subdomains). Spellwise, I tend to focus on self buffs (Divine Favor and Divine Power will see a lot of usage, buffed by Fate's Favored as well).
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-12 at 01:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Careful with Legendary Item: if you take it at M6, your item will only ever have 5 abilities, never 10.Those do not upgrade. It's not really a problem for the second one taken at M5 since you only lose one point (5 instead of 6), put here you'd end up with a Major Artifact with only 5 abilities, not 10... You really should take it only at M10 to have 9 points.

Divine Source means people can pray to you and get domain spells, it doesn't have anything with you really being a god or not. Plus, if (when) we end up as genuine gods, they'd get those naturally anyway so it'd be wasted.

And Elyna will be horrified by the idea of having followers :o

With you not being humanoid, I don't really have low level buffing spells to offer, so it's a good thing you buff yourself. I'll have some pretty nice ones in the future though. Notably, Brilliant Inspiration.

25. - Top - End - #25

Devil

Careful with Legendary Item: if you take it at M6, your item will only ever have 5 abilities, never 10.Those do not upgrade. It's not really a problem for the second one taken at M5 since you only lose one point (5 instead of 6), put here you'd end up with a Major Artifact with only 5 abilities, not 10... You really should take it only at M10 to have 9 points.
    Where does it say that? It says the legendary Item gets a number of abilities equal to your tier. I can't find a source anywhere that says you are locked in at the tier you gained the item at. Pretty much all of the places I searched stated that when you go up a tier, you gain another Legendary Item Ability.

It explicitly stated the item gains abilities at a rate of one per day (so if I waited until 3red tier to take the first iteration, I would immediately gain one ability and have to wait a day for the second ability and yet another for the third). It says once the abilities are selected, I am locked in (so abilities can not be swapped out for different ones) but it says nothing about it not increasing the number of abilities when tier increases. I did a search and found nothing confirming your claim.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-12 at 06:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hmm, you may be right, it's not really clearly stated, and I've found both rulings when I was looking myself.

The daily increase could just be for when you select another Legendary Item path ability for example.

And while it is stated clearly that you're limited at the time of the pick, nowhere does it say that the item does gain abilities up to the normal amount if your tier increase (like it does for mythic spellcasting / mythic spell lore).
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-12 at 06:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Devil

Hmm, you may be right, it's not really clearly stated, and I've found both rulings when I was looking myself.

The daily increase could just be for when you select another Legendary Item path ability for example.

And while it is stated clearly that you're limited at the time of the pick, nowhere does it say that the item does gain abilities up to the normal amount if your tier increase (like it does for mythic spellcasting / mythic spell lore).
    I treat it like a faucet and a bowl. You tier is how deep the bowl is. It takes one day to fill 1 tier's worth of water, but when it is filled to capacity, the water just pours over the size. Go up a tier and the bowl just gets bigger.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Oh it's perfectly understandable (and not that it matters, but I have no problem with that interpretation).

It's just that I saw other opinions (and thought that the abilities were lost if not taken at the right time, for balance reasons or something like that) that's all.

By the way Mr. GM, do you mind if I treat my Longspear also as a staff for the purposes of item creation*? It might as well be useful. Assuming a magic staff can be useful at all of course, and I'll have to wait until I can have CL8+ on the spells I want to put there anyway.
    I might start Enchanting it before then, maybe making it intelligent or something?
    Though I'll discard the one I currently have since it's not masterwork... I'll have to make a good one at some point.

In fact... Maybe Elyna is waiting/looking for some cool materials to do it? Greenwood comes to mind, she'd have to find a Dryad and negotiate with her, it could be a nice subplot.

*Maybe if I make the item intelligent and give it the change shape power? It could go from Quarterstaff to Longspear, and I'd be able to use it as a staff in the first case, as a weapon otherwise?
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-12 at 10:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Devil

Yes, I've had issues with multiple interpretations for the rules. Had a rather long and involved debate on whether Bastard Swords and Katanas are considered 1-Handed or 2-Handed for the purposes of class abilities that apply to such weapons. I think it was about a Bladebound Kensai Magus, apparently it is considered a 2-Handed weapon, Exotic weapon proficiency lets you wield it the "wrong" way without penalty. So apparently a whip is a viable option for that class, but a bastard sword is not.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Uh, I made a Bladebound Kensai Magus with a katana just fine. It's even accepted by Hero Lab.

Plus, even if the rules say otherwise, a katana is supposed to be a one-handed weapon that can be wielded with two hands, not the other way around...

And almost more importantly, a whip Magus sounds lame whereas a katana wielding one is cool.