The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 191
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Uh, I made a Bladebound Kensai Magus with a katana just fine. It's even accepted by Hero Lab.

    Plus, even if the rules say otherwise, a katana is supposed to be a one-handed weapon that can be wielded with two hands, not the other way around...

    And almost more importantly, a whip Magus sounds lame whereas a katana wielding one is cool.
    Makes me wish I could find that old SNL skit with Bill Murray playing the Whipmaster. He's challenged to whip the cigar out of a guy's mouth and can't, but instead whips the Hell out of the guy's face.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    It seems to have been very effectively removed from the web...

    Anyway, a whip can be nice. I can perfectly imagine it on characters like a wizard, a sorcerer, a ranger or a bard among other things. But on a really martial character, it screams "I'm here for the stats of the whip, I don't care at all about anything else". It's not really my cup of tea.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Oh it's perfectly understandable (and not that it matters, but I have no problem with that interpretation).

    It's just that I saw other opinions (and thought that the abilities were lost if not taken at the right time, for balance reasons or something like that) that's all.

    By the way Mr. GM, do you mind if I treat my Longspear also as a staff for the purposes of item creation*? It might as well be useful. Assuming a magic staff can be useful at all of course, and I'll have to wait until I can have CL8+ on the spells I want to put there anyway.
    I might start Enchanting it before then, maybe making it intelligent or something?
    Though I'll discard the one I currently have since it's not masterwork... I'll have to make a good one at some point.

    In fact... Maybe Elyna is waiting/looking for some cool materials to do it? Greenwood comes to mind, she'd have to find a Dryad and negotiate with her, it could be a nice subplot.

    *Maybe if I make the item intelligent and give it the change shape power? It could go from Quarterstaff to Longspear, and I'd be able to use it as a staff in the first case, as a weapon otherwise?
    You know, that sounds like a lovely idea. Longspear as a staff sounds cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Makes me wish I could find that old SNL skit with Bill Murray playing the Whipmaster. He's challenged to whip the cigar out of a guy's mouth and can't, but instead whips the Hell out of the guy's face.
    Reminds me of that scene in caddy shack where he's teeing off the flowers with a golf club.

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    It seems to have been very effectively removed from the web...

    Anyway, a whip can be nice. I can perfectly imagine it on characters like a wizard, a sorcerer, a ranger or a bard among other things. But on a really martial character, it screams "I'm here for the stats of the whip, I don't care at all about anything else". It's not really my cup of tea.
    Yeah, but at the same time, being able to be indiana jones with disarming people and such is pretty nice.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Yeah, but at the same time, being able to be indiana jones with disarming people and such is pretty nice.
    Or a Belmont from Castlevania, especially since Pathfinder has the Vampire Killer weapon.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Indiana Jones is allowed to have a whip, no problem :D
    In fact, it's more the idea of whip + heavy armor than anything else that I don't like...


    I made a few more tweaks, especially regarding the traits but it's all quite minor:
    - Hedge Magician replaced by Spark of Creation. Does the same -5% to the cost of items, but with a +1 trait bonus to crafts.
    - Survivor replaced by Savant. Survivor is a bit extreme (Elyna didn't grow up in hell after all...), and the Hand already covers Sense Motive much better than Elyna ever would. Plus, it kind of makes sense for her to not be particularly good there. Granted, Perform is perfectly useless (she's not a bard after all...), but it's alright.
    - Illuminator replaced by Trustworthy. Elyna is not going to be praying Sarenrae anytime soon... Not that she has anything against her but still... So that's -1 in Diplomacy, but it's still a Class Skill and +1 in Bluff can't hurt I suppose.
    - I gave my familiar the Valet archetype so that it can help me craft, probably the best thing it can do for me...

    I'm going to ditch the Iridescent Spindle, Cracked Ioun stone (it gives a bonus to hold breath, so...) and the Ioun Torch and instead get my Greenwood Longspear. Its cost is 5 (longspear) + 300 (Masterwork) + 50*9 (Greenwood) = 755, so divide by 3 for crafting costs gives 251.7gp, with the Ioun Stones costing 237.5+35.625 it fits (and I even have a decent amount of remaining gold now...)

    With Mythic Craft, I don't need to roll for the Masterwork part, only the normal longspear. I know I don't really need to but... Well... I want to see how nice Elyna's spear is. The DC to craft a weapon is 12 (Simple Weapon). There are no options to make the DC higher to make the item "better" sadly.

    Anyway, next, let's see how I can improve my craft roll:
    - Traveler's Any Tool: +2 (Circumstance)
    - Crafter's Fortune: +5 (Luck)
    - Visualization of the Mind: +5 (Untyped)
    - Mythic Surge: +1d8

    With a base of 12, that gives me a total 1d20+1d8+24. Not much risk to fail... But, more important question... Will I beat the DC by 20+? [roll]1d20+1d8+24[/roll]

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Uh, of course I fail on the roll... So... (1d20+24)[33] and I add (1d8)[4]

    Total of 37, so I beat the DC by +25, pretty nice :)

    And maybe it'll look like this?


    It's not very green, but that's what varnish is here for.
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-13 at 07:27 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    So I've made a rough beginning draft of the cosmology of this world. Still a WIP, but observe.


  8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    So I've made a rough beginning draft of the cosmology of this world. Still a WIP, but observe.

    Reminds me of a custom cosmology I ran years ago. I had a central demiplane called Pandora (it is also called "The Box" as it is a sprawling city within the confines of a Tesseract). Also created two custom transitive planes to replace the Astral and Ethereal planes - mine were the plane of Mirrors and the plane of Dreams. The group would go to different planes to do stuff, but without a direct portal, they'd have to pass through one of these two planes.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-13 at 02:04 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Reminds me of a custom cosmology I ran years ago. I had a central demiplane called Pandora (it is also called "The Box" as it is a sprawling city within the confines of a Tesseract). Also created two custom transitive planes to replace the Astral and Ethereal planes - mine were the plane of Mirrors and the plane of Dreams. The group would go to different planes to do stuff, but without a direct portal, they'd have to pass through one of these two planes.
    In this cosmology, the positive, negative, and elemental planes are transitive, with Air and Earth being easier to access from the Material than fire and water. The Pos and Neg suffuse everything, and everything is categorized as being either positive (additive), negative (subtractive) or material adjacent (null). To this effect, each alignment in the outer planes has three planes associated with it, one additive, one subtractive, and one null. Each plane also corresponds to an "elemental quadrant" except for null planes, which correspond to both air and earth. From there the aligned planes are split into two halves. Lawful and Good planes tend to spread out naturally from each other, while chaotic and evil planes tend to clump together. In the case of Lawful Good, the planes are so spread out as to be completely inaccessible from each other alone. In the case of Chaotic Evil planes, they are so close together that they intermingle at the edges in an orgy of perpetual violence.

    Any questions, I know that's a dense wall of text.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    One question: if each alignment has 3 planes, that should make a total of 27 planes. There are only 9 in the figure.

    Does that mean that only three alignments are shown, or that each one of them is instead the collective noun of the additive / subtractive / null that would be layered on the Z axis?

    Considering the null = Air+Earth the second doesn't seem to make sense, but the first one is not any better. Unless I'm missing something?

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    If the Lawful Good planes are spread out so far that one cannot access the other from them alone, would that affect planeshift then? If I wanted to go from an additive LG plane to a subtractive one, could I do so via a single casting of planeshift, or would it require a second and/or third casting. Also curious how this would interact with the Returning quality of Legendary Items. So far, I only have the first iteration, but the second lets you call the item across planar boundaries. Would this be limited in a similar manner?

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    One question: if each alignment has 3 planes, that should make a total of 27 planes. There are only 9 in the figure.

    Does that mean that only three alignments are shown, or that each one of them is instead the collective noun of the additive / subtractive / null that would be layered on the Z axis?

    Considering the null = Air+Earth the second doesn't seem to make sense, but the first one is not any better. Unless I'm missing something?
    The model here is an example set meant to display all the principles I could on a 2d image. Ill work out an isometric to explain better later. Imagine the world as an xyz axis. Subtractive planes are all negative points on the x axis, additive are all positive points on the x axis. The material plane is 0,0. All null planes are 0 on the x axis, all lawful are positive on the y axis, while chaotic are negative on the y axis, all good is positive on the z axis, all evil negative on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    If the Lawful Good planes are spread out so far that one cannot access the other from them alone, would that affect planeshift then? If I wanted to go from an additive LG plane to a subtractive one, could I do so via a single casting of planeshift, or would it require a second and/or third casting. Also curious how this would interact with the Returning quality of Legendary Items. So far, I only have the first iteration, but the second lets you call the item across planar boundaries. Would this be limited in a similar manner?
    You are correct. Traveling from one LG plane to the next would require moving through other planes first.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    OK cool thanks :)

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Is Lao-Seth sufficiently coterminous to other planes to facilitate travel to any of them via a single "jump," or do some planes still need multiple planeshifts from that place to reach?

    Also, are your planes static, or do they move around, making jumps to certain planes more direct/easier at certain times of year and harder at others? Sort of like how the moons affect it in Eberron.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-13 at 08:05 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Is Lao-Seth sufficiently coterminous to other planes to facilitate travel to any of them via a single "jump," or do some planes still need multiple planeshifts from that place to reach?

    Also, are your planes static, or do they move around, making jumps to certain planes more direct/easier at certain times of year and harder at others? Sort of like how the moons affect it in Eberron.

    Lao-Seth is coterminous with the planes of earth and air, the positive and negative, and all of the aligned planes such that one plane shift is sufficient from there, although as my full diagram will show (I'm having a friend construct a proper representation in a 3d graph), some planes require more than one plane shift to reach from each other, relying upon the intermittent spaces of elemental planes and negative and positive energy planes to get by in between. More often used are Lao-Seth's submersible magical boats that travel the underwater currents to the planes via the lake's enchantments. Passage aboard a ship is always there for able bodies and quick wits.

    It's planes themselves are stationary, but access to the elemental planes and their associated spaces can become easier or harder depending on the time of year. The Solstices are famous for bringing about fire and air each, while equinoxes embolden the strength of water and earth.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Another few changes (I'll stop when we start, promise :P)

    I've discovered the feat Sacred Geometry while looking for something completely different, and it sounds really good. I'll take it (with Extend Spell and Still Spell as the 2 associated metamagics, it's mostly to use for out of / pre combat buffs, or if we somehow find ourselves in a situation where we can't move and speak), and in fact I'll take it right now:

    - first, because it can be useful straight away or at least level 4 (and I'm sure the Hand will love that mathematical stuff Elyna will do from time to time, she'll milk it as much as she can...), whereas Eldritch Heritage will only be useful when I can get the level 3 power...so level 5 (unless I manage to craft the items needed before then, but it'll probably be too expensive at that point, and not a priority in the first place). Which is important because...

    ...Second, It'll be an opportunity to actually have the bloodline (and the full storm theme that goes with it) be unlocked RP which could be something pretty nice, and I could possibly get Eldritch Heritage, Mythic Eldritch Heritage and Elemental Spell [Electricity] all at once at level 5 for example.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    @Imladir I realized another reason to keep Upgradeable on my weapon. You are not lawful, so you would not be able to make it Axiomatic, which is a goal (unless you took Beyond Morality, but that costs you a valuable Path Ability slot. I, myself, could not benefit from it all that well, since even if I had no alignment, my Outsider subtype remains Lawful).

    @Bobbyjackcorn How would you handle swift actions with regards to using more than one on a given round compared to other actions? The way I run it is one swift action is simply a swift action. Two swift actions in a round burns your move action. Three swift actions in a round is a full-round action (unless I am mistaken, that is how Star Wars Saga Edition runs it). I ask because a lot of the Inquisitor's abilities use swift actions to activate.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-14 at 03:15 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    I could make it Axiomatic just fine while it is a requirement, it's not an item creation feat requirement, and Axiomatic is not a spell-completion, spell-triggered or potion effect.

    So the only consequence to me, is that the DC increases by +5. Probably +10 since you'll probably want it before you can cast level 4 spells so I wouldn't have Orderís Wrath either.

    So the DC would be 15 + Weapon CL. Right now, I can have a +24 on weapons crafting. If the CL is 10 or less (it's 7 for the Axiomatic), 100% guaranteed success. If you acquire a scroll or two of the spell, as long as none of the other qualities are CL16+, it'd be fine. All that without taking into account increases in my own level of course.

    Of course, you can still keep the Upgradable and do it yourself, I don't mind. Elyna will probably think the Hand botched things, but that's another problem entirely ^^

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    @Bobbyjackcorn How would you handle swift actions with regards to using more than one on a given round compared to other actions? The way I run it is one swift action is simply a swift action. Two swift actions in a round burns your move action. Three swift actions in a round is a full-round action (unless I am mistaken, that is how Star Wars Saga Edition runs it). I ask because a lot of the Inquisitor's abilities use swift actions to activate.
    You know, that seems like a lovely way to handle it.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    What happens with Immediate Actions? The big limitations on those is that they burn your next turn's swift action, which is apparently kind of a big thing.

    Would it simply mean that on the next turn I'd be able to have either a swift or move action, plus a standard action OR a move and a swift?

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    What happens with Immediate Actions? The big limitations on those is that they burn your next turn's swift action, which is apparently kind of a big thing.

    Would it simply mean that on the next turn I'd be able to have either a swift or move action, plus a standard action OR a move and a swift?
    I think it means you would have used your first swift action on an immediate action.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Noted, that works for me.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    I didn't make any change on my sheet today... Am I done!?

    Well, I did prepare a shopping list (and found a way to give myself proficiency with my longspear, cool!) but that doesn't really count.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Trying to figure out how to play the Hand. Part of me wants to go the whole "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition," Castiel personality, the whole deadpan, yet naive kind of thing.

    Contemplated swapping the Path Dabbling from Absorb Blow to Inspired Spell, but I mean, Inquisitor spell slots seem like more than enough and their spell lists are such that most all useful spells can be taken. Was always curious why they made Cure Wounds spells Conjuration rather than Transmutation or Necromancy. Of course in 3.0, spell schools where really swapped around (Bestow Curse used to be Transmutation, for one thing).
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-15 at 12:04 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    I didn't make any change on my sheet today... Am I done!?

    Well, I did prepare a shopping list (and found a way to give myself proficiency with my longspear, cool!) but that doesn't really count.
    Glorious signs of things to come! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Trying to figure out how to play the Hand. Part of me wants to go the whole "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from Perdition," Castiel personality, the whole deadpan, yet naive kind of thing.

    Contemplated swapping the Path Dabbling from Absorb Blow to Inspired Spell, but I mean, Inquisitor spell slots seem like more than enough and their spell lists are such that most all useful spells can be taken. Was always curious why they made Cure Wounds spells Conjuration rather than Transmutation or Necromancy. Of course in 3.0, spell schools where really swapped around (Bestow Curse used to be Transmutation, for one thing).
    Cas is a fun character, definitely down with that interpretation, but I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever you decide on.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Perdition, perdition...

    Careful that you're not the one ending drunk in a tavern with two hookers in your arms!

    (Not that Elyna wants to have anything to do with either of those)

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Looking at mythic rules and I wonder why they seem to consider DR Epic stronger than DR -, the one can be bypassed far more easily than the other (A +1 Vorpal weapon or a +2 Axiomatic Corrosive burst weapon can do it). Looking at the rules for Armor as DR, DR epic is viewed as an upgrade compared to DR -. I wonder why that's a thing. I mean:

    Weapons with special abilities also count as epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction if the total bonus value of all of their abilities (including the enhancement bonus) is +6 or greater.
    Whereas DR - cannot be bypassed except for abilities that bypass any form of DR
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-15 at 11:40 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    It might be a question of balance: since Epic DR can be overcome at some point, they can put it a bit more freely on the monsters to make them a bit challenging. Whereas with DR X/- they need to be really careful?

    By the way... we're Friday, right? Which means we're starting, right?
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-16 at 06:14 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    By the way... we're Friday, right? Which means we're starting, right?
    It's Friday! I'll have an I.C and the beginning of the campaign written up at some point before 8pm EST today, depending on how busy work is.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Not that I have to worry about it anyway, but I noticed that if you are invisible and under the effect of Mind Blank, See Invisibility does not work on you (it is actually explicitly listed in the spell description).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •