The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: (OOC) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...9#post24092519

The I.C is up! Let the game begin!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Cool :)

I realized after answering that I maybe should have described Elyna, but it's on her sheet anyway so it should be alright (simple clothes, and a pony tail whose function is probably just to keep her hair out of her eyes). I'll add it on the next post, it can't hurt.

Oh and a question though: for when we need dice rolls, should we do it here, directly in the IC or in a dedicated thread?

3. - Top - End - #63

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Cool :)

I realized after answering that I maybe should have described Elyna, but it's on her sheet anyway so it should be alright (simple clothes, and a pony tail whose function is probably just to keep her hair out of her eyes). I'll add it on the next post, it can't hurt.

Oh and a question though: for when we need dice rolls, should we do it here, directly in the IC or in a dedicated thread?
    You can roll it in the IC, it'll smooth things out more.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

OK, I'll try not to mess that up...

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

My text was a little hard to differentiate speaking vs narrative, so I made my speech bolded to help out with that a bit.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Roh... Tell me the situation is too stressful/distracting to allow a "Take 10"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hmm, I suppose I should roll for initiative too in case it's needed since while Elyna is not expecting combat, as a diviner she's able to act even in surprise rounds.

Initiative: (1d20+6)[26] (it should be +7, so 27 total)

Woh, two 20s in a row...
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-18 at 11:45 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Devil

Well, I most likely missed, should have used Unstoppable Strike, so I could reduce his AC to 10. Doesn't really say if using Vanishing Move provokes AoO's if I recall correctly. It is not listed as an SLA, so you may want to rule on this.

If he attacks and hits me, I'll spend Mythic Power for Absorb Blow (reduces damage from a spell or attack by 25 and grants DR 1/- and Resist Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire 5 for every 10 points of damage I absorb with this ability and it stack's both with itself and with my innate Resistances (Acid, Cold, and Electricity 5). Using this ability consumes an immediate action.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-18 at 09:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well, I won't be using that Prescience die anytime soon. I suppose it's to balance the fact that I also rolled my third 20...

Now it'll be funny if the Hand disappears too and they just can't find each other :D

Oh and I had a question: do we feel something when someone uses Mythic Power? For example, I can't help thinking that casting mythic spells particularly, creates a sort of ripple we can "feel", and the more MP spent the bigger it is. Unless things like Mythic Spellpower are used since it sets the MP cost of one spell to zero.

Regarding Vanishing Move, it's a Supernatural ability, so it doesn't provoke AoOs (source).
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-18 at 10:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Well, I most likely missed, should have used Unstoppable Strike, so I could reduce his AC to 10. Doesn't really say if using Vanishing Move provokes AoO's if I recall correctly. It is not listed as an SLA, so you may want to rule on this.

If he attacks and hits me, I'll spend Mythic Power for Absorb Blow (reduces damage from a spell or attack by 25 and grants DR 1/- and Resist Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire 5 for every 10 points of damage I absorb with this ability and it stack's both with itself and with my innate Resistances (Acid, Cold, and Electricity 5). Using this ability consumes an immediate action.
    I'll factor them in. I take it you are using Vanishing Move?

Well, I won't be using that Prescience die anytime soon. I suppose it's to balance the fact that I also rolled my third 20...

Now it'll be funny if the Hand disappears too and they just can't find each other :D

Oh and I had a question: do we feel something when someone uses Mythic Power? For example, I can't help thinking that casting mythic spells particularly, creates a sort of ripple we can "feel", and the more MP spent the bigger it is. Unless things like Mythic Spellpower are used since it sets the MP cost of one spell to zero.

Regarding Vanishing Move, it's a Supernatural ability, so it doesn't provoke AoOs (source).
    Yeah, Mythic Power is a noticeable sensation. Love the art for the wyrd btw.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hmpf, I'll use one MP to Surge the Incubus' SR check (1d8)[2]. Hopefully it'll be enough. Grrr, it's not. Why do I always roll either a 20 or something terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Love the art for the wyrd btw.
    It's actually the only decent image I found about a Ioun Wyrd so...
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-19 at 12:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Devil

Well, I actually did crit, but screwed up the bonus damage roll due to a typo. So here is the bonus crit damage (6d4+48)[62]

Edit - Hopefully 83 damage is enough to cut that demon in half.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-19 at 05:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Devil

Hmm, shame I missed that opportunity, but I suppose it would be niche and inefficient for such a small group. It would be interesting to have Incubus basically turn into cupid. If you've ever read The Heroes of Olympus (forget if it is book 3 or 4), but Cupid is merciless and terrifying. He is big on the drawing out the most painful thoughts, and if you don't follow suit and answer honestly, he remains invisible while taking you out with arrows. They draw a comparison between Cupid and Thanatos (the Ancient Greek grim reaper) and have them appear nearly identical physically, but the conclusion was that Thanatos is merciful and less dangerous than Cupid. Would be interesting to play or encounter.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-19 at 07:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Just a little something, as soon as Elyna cast her Ear-Piercing Scream (or her whisper...), the invisibility dropped since it's considered an attack.

Other than that... I really need to find more ways to increase my caster level (at least for SR checks), and maybe even more importantly, the Save DCs of my spells...

15. - Top - End - #75

Devil

Shame my Str score is not high enough yet to just carry you places while still holding my gear. I'm faster than you by a good amount without my armor in the way (Speed 60 ft, and if I use mythic power, it increases to 110). Without my gear, however, you are well below my light load capacity.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeeeeaaah... Elyna might not be particularly enthused by that idea though

17. - Top - End - #77

Devil

Hmm, looking at the Champion path and wondering if I should invest in Always a Chance, so if I am invisible and use Unstoppable Strike, I will always hit.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well, on the plus side, it doesn't cost anything. On the minus side... Are you sure you want to invest in something that will only matter 1/20th of the rolls? Sure, missing one attack here and there could be a problem, but still... Maybe there's a way to reroll an attack on an item or a spell maybe?

19. - Top - End - #79

Devil

Well, on the plus side, it doesn't cost anything. On the minus side... Are you sure you want to invest in something that will only matter 1/20th of the rolls? Sure, missing one attack here and there could be a problem, but still... Maybe there's a way to reroll an attack on an item or a spell maybe?
    Well, my build at the moment is moving towards Vital Strike. Since I would not be focusing on iterative attacks, I suspect a miss would bite me in the @$$ more often than it would other melee types. Of course, given my BAB, I can only get up to Improved Vital Strike, so I may try a different route. My build skips Improved Critical, since I have fewer feat slots, but benefits from Furious Focus (which is Paramount for a Vital Strike build). Precision would be useful were I more interested in Iterative attacks, but sees far less utility for me.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Look at Fallback Strategy.

I could make you some kind of magic item for it very easily since the spell is on your list. Hell, for 2'000GP I could make it permanent. In theory anyway, in practice it seems a bit too powerful for the cost. Maybe limit it to one reroll a day, or only reroll 1s?

Sure, you could always roll two 1s in a row I suppose but that's so very unlikely (0.25%)... I'm pretty sure that's much better than using one of the few mythic abilities you have.

I can't say I know much of anything regarding Vital Strike, I pretty much never play martial characters ^^
    Last edited by Imladir; 2019-08-20 at 10:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Devil

Look at Fallback Strategy.

I could make you some kind of magic item for it very easily since the spell is on your list. Hell, for 2'000GP I could make it permanent. In theory anyway, in practice it seems a bit too powerful for the cost. Maybe limit it to one reroll a day, or only reroll 1s?

Sure, you could always roll two 1s in a row I suppose but that's so very unlikely (0.25%)... I'm pretty sure that's much better than using one of the few mythic abilities you have.

I can't say I know much of anything regarding Vital Strike, I pretty much never play martial characters ^^
    I've actually rolled double 1's and double 20's each at least six times each IRL. Probability and I have a weird relationship (it averages out the same, but tends towards more extreme results). The funny one was when I rolled a d6 on a completely flat surface and it landed corner up. Did that one twice (I've also flipped a nickel and had it land on edge twice, again on a flat surface). So far, I've rolled double 20's twice on these forums, and that is just the past year.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-20 at 11:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Well, maybe you're not fated to hit this time if you roll two 1s in a row

More seriously, having rolled three 20s and a 1 here in eight rolls or so, I can certainly understand. I probably wouldn't make that choice, but I can understand.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Mr. GM, should we post again? No problem if you want us to wait for you, I just want to avoid that deadlock of everyone waiting for everyone else ^^

Elyna is heading home right now, to talk to her moms a bit, probably for them to decide that she has to get away from Lao-Seth for a while as it's now too dangerous...and get her stuff since right now, she has pretty much nothing.

24. - Top - End - #84

Goblin

Feel free to expound. It seemed like a moment you would talk at. You are a five hour journey away from home, you likely have purchased an inn room to spend the night in the city, at which you would store anything you'd typically travel with. Of course I doubt Elyna would want this stranger to follow her back to where she sleeps, so you'll have to figure out parting ways. At the same time, I doubt The Hand would want to let the prophesied child go.

25. - Top - End - #85

Devil

Curious, Undetectable on my weapon says I cannot be detected by any means, does that mean sound too? I mean, I know certain forms of Blindsense and Blindsight can use Hearing, so if it renders me undetectable to those methods, I suspect it would fully mute any sounds I make as well (I suspect verbal Spellcasting would still work, I would just take the penalty to cast as a deaf person would (the sound is still there, it just isn't being detected by anyone).

Shame I don't have a minute to use Augury and still keep up with the prophesied one, I could ask if it would be beneficial to take down those goatmen before we head to her house.

Edit - Also unsure how much Elyna wants to play into the sheer creepiness factor of having a guy follow her around all the time, and even when she thinks she's alone, he could be standing only a few feet away and be watching her with no way of detecting him. That's rather disturbing on its own. You may want to look into spellwarding your home or base of we ever get one.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-21 at 07:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Devil

On a slightly different note, I had an idea for a magic item that seems more mythic in a mundane utility sort of way, though I typically only had it accessible for lvl 25+ epic games. It is an extension of the bag of holding I call the Vault Key. The key can take different forms though it usually is a charm that can be worn on a bracelet or necklace. What it does is open a portal to a demiplane storage unit. It has divided display rooms along a hallway and containers. While things do not age here, they are not held in stasis outside of the containers and/or display rooms (though you can swap this on or off). It not only can container a full horde of treasure or two, but can also hold a menagerie of creatures or act as a sort of prison, useful for interrogation. The spell it is based off of is magnificent mansion (which is essentially made permanent). In the grand scheme of things, it can be seen as a less versatile, but infinite use Gate Key (epic magic item. Has 50 charges, expend a charge and touch an opening to set a portal and expend more to make other portals, you can define access to each of them as you chose at the time of linking said portals). The Gate Key is actually relatively cheap compared to other epic magic items.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjackcorn View Post
    Feel free to expound. It seemed like a moment you would talk at. You are a five hour journey away from home, you likely have purchased an inn room to spend the night in the city, at which you would store anything you'd typically travel with. Of course I doubt Elyna would want this stranger to follow her back to where she sleeps, so you'll have to figure out parting ways. At the same time, I doubt The Hand would want to let the prophesied child go.
    Oh ok, works for me, I'll do that. As for allowing him to follow her, that's a bit complex since she basically has no way to even know he's here... She supposes he is, but can't prove it and it's unlikely to change anytime soon (though I have a couple of ideas for it, but that's definitely not short term).

Regarding invisibility, she had to drop it to cast her Ear-Piercing Scream, so for the most part, she's not invisible anymore. While she probably cast another one to slip out of the guards' net (I'll detail that IC), at that point she can't be detected in any way (blindsense, blindsight, tremorsense, etc. nothing works), and that includes by the Hand. With one caveat: her familiar doesn't turn invisible when she does. She'll deal with that, but it could be a way to do it. At any rate, her invisibility only lasts for five minutes, so while she'll try to escape and will likely do for a while, after that she's not particularly hard to find. A well worded Augury could work just fine for example.

Regarding the magic item, there's a M6+ Archmage Path Ability that does pretty much the same thing:

Spoiler: Sanctum
    Show
    You gain access to your own personal extradimensional sanctum. By concentrating for 1 minute without interruption, you conjure the door to your own personal sanctum, similar to mageís magnificent mansion, but with the following differences. The sanctum takes up a space equal to six 20-foot cubes per tier, shapeable when you first create it as if it were a spell whose area or effect is shapeable. The sanctum is permanent and persistent, so you can store objects within the sanctum and retrieve them on future visits. The sanctum includes one unseen servant per tier. When you conjure the sanctumís door, you decide which creatures can see and use it (to all other creatures itís invisible and impermeable). The door remains until you dismiss itóa standard action with unlimited range as long as you are on the same plane as the door. If you dismiss the door while you are outside the sanctum, all creatures other than your familiar are immediately shunted outside. Conjuring the door automatically dismisses any other active door. As a full-round action, your familiar can enter or leave the sanctum from any square adjacent to you, without using the conjured door.

28. - Top - End - #88

Devil

Oh ok, works for me, I'll do that. As for allowing him to follow her, that's a bit complex since she basically has no way to even know he's here... She supposes he is, but can't prove it and it's unlikely to change anytime soon (though I have a couple of ideas for it, but that's definitely not short term).

Regarding invisibility, she had to drop it to cast her Ear-Piercing Scream, so for the most part, she's not invisible anymore. While she probably cast another one to slip out of the guards' net (I'll detail that IC), at that point she can't be detected in any way (blindsense, blindsight, tremorsense, etc. nothing works), and that includes by the Hand. With one caveat: her familiar doesn't turn invisible when she does. She'll deal with that, but it could be a way to do it. At any rate, her invisibility only lasts for five minutes, so while she'll try to escape and will likely do for a while, after that she's not particularly hard to find. A well worded Augury could work just fine for example.

Regarding the magic item, there's a M6+ Archmage Path Ability that does pretty much the same thing:

Spoiler: Sanctum
    Show
    You gain access to your own personal extradimensional sanctum. By concentrating for 1 minute without interruption, you conjure the door to your own personal sanctum, similar to mageís magnificent mansion, but with the following differences. The sanctum takes up a space equal to six 20-foot cubes per tier, shapeable when you first create it as if it were a spell whose area or effect is shapeable. The sanctum is permanent and persistent, so you can store objects within the sanctum and retrieve them on future visits. The sanctum includes one unseen servant per tier. When you conjure the sanctumís door, you decide which creatures can see and use it (to all other creatures itís invisible and impermeable). The door remains until you dismiss itóa standard action with unlimited range as long as you are on the same plane as the door. If you dismiss the door while you are outside the sanctum, all creatures other than your familiar are immediately shunted outside. Conjuring the door automatically dismisses any other active door. As a full-round action, your familiar can enter or leave the sanctum from any square adjacent to you, without using the conjured door.
    Curious if you verbally communicate with your familiar about where you are headed, as I so rarely play full casters, I do not know if and when you gain telepathic communication with it.

Also, @Bobbyjackcorn, since my Invisibility flickers me in and out, if I made a stealth check while I am using this form of Invisibility to hide the brief moments I become visible, would there be any circumstance bonus to said stealth check? I believe that regular Invisibility grants +40 to stealth, but given my flickering, would +20 be acceptable?
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-22 at 11:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Telepathic communication is not a thing ever. At 5th level, there's verbal communication from the familiar, but that's all.

So here it's simply Elyna giving a verbal instruction to her familiar, since it has an Intelligence of 7 it's more than enough for it to understand something like "go to the inn" I suppose.

30. - Top - End - #90

Devil

Telepathic communication is not a thing ever. At 5th level, there's verbal communication from the familiar, but that's all.

So here it's simply Elyna giving a verbal instruction to her familiar, since it has an Intelligence of 7 it's more than enough for it to understand something like "go to the inn" I suppose.
    Ok, so I suspect the Hand would hear that discussion then, just so he knows where Elyna is going.