New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You are suddenly transformed into a 1st level adventurer just outside Shadowdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops08 View Post
    What will you do?

The adventurer you become (Class/Race) is your choice. And there is no going back to earth. You are stuck here. You do have the starting equipment for your class/background.

What do you become, and what is the first thing you do?
    No going back?

Stuck in Forgotten Realms, with its impending disasters of the week... and its crapsack afterlife... I guess I start working on a way to get out, even if I can't get back home.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: You are suddenly transformed into a 1st level adventurer just outside Shadowdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    No going back?

Stuck in Forgotten Realms, with its impending disasters of the week... and its crapsack afterlife... I guess I start working on a way to get out, even if I can't get back home.
    You know, when people up-thread kept mentioning making choices that gave them extra long lifespans, I kept thinking, 'you know, that's pretty much guaranteeing you end up living through one or more life-changing, PTSD-inducing disasters.'

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    You know, when people up-thread kept mentioning making choices that gave them extra long lifespans, I kept thinking, 'you know, that's pretty much guaranteeing you end up living through one or more life-changing, PTSD-inducing disasters.'
    I agree, because living in the modern world, I definitely would never endure life-changing, PTSD inducing disasters of various sorts that would probably violate board rules to list here.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by ShikomeKidoMi View Post
    Yeah, especially if you don't have a DM making sure your encounters are level appropriate. I'd probably be terrified and eventually decide to grind my level up slooowly. Time to go fight some giant rats WITH an adventuring party or something.
    Thankfully, that cuts both ways. Immediately group up with some native adventurers (as cool as it'd be to team up with other isekai'd players, I'd want a first group that a) knows the area fairly well and b) doesn't need any time adjusting to the fact that this is life and death) and grind through those early 3 levels.

Then, you benefit from the fact that there is no DM constantly throwing level appropriate challenges at you. The world isn't going to get more dangerous around you unless you seek out more dangerous areas or the FR goes through its monthly realm-shaking catastrophe. You'll roll through most random encounters.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverLordOcelot View Post
    I agree, because living in the modern world, I definitely would never endure life-changing, PTSD inducing disasters of various sorts that would probably violate board rules to list here.
    Most of us posting on this forum probably won't ever endure life-changing PTSD-inducing disasters of the sort in question. Hypothetically the Yellowstone supervolcano could cut loose in my lifetime?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

6. - Top - End - #66

Most of us posting on this forum probably won't ever endure life-changing PTSD-inducing disasters of the sort in question. Hypothetically the Yellowstone supervolcano could cut loose in my lifetime?
    Most of us won't endure magical disasters because magic doesn't actually exist in the real world, but that seems rather silly to point out. Lots of actual people endure personal and large scale incidents that induce PTSD, and still manage to not want to die afterwards. On a small scale, victims of various assaults by family, criminals, and police still wish to continue their lives, and on a large scale lots of people lived through World War II and wished to continue living afterwards. (Again note, I am deliberately avoiding mention of any current events as that goes specifically against board policy.).

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Most of us won't endure magical disasters because magic doesn't actually exist in the real world, but that seems rather silly to point out. Lots of actual people endure personal and large scale incidents that induce PTSD, and still manage to not want to die afterwards. On a small scale, victims of various assaults by family, criminals, and police still wish to continue their lives, and on a large scale lots of people lived through World War II and wished to continue living afterwards. (Again note, I am deliberately avoiding mention of any current events as that goes specifically against board policy.).
    None of which has anything to do with my comment or WTD's.

Oh well.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

No going back?

I've watched every episode of the 80s D&D cartoon, so I know how this works. Dibs on the cool bow.

9. - Top - End - #69

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShikomeKidoMi View Post
    Yeah, especially if you don't have a DM making sure your encounters are level appropriate. I'd probably be terrified and eventually decide to grind my level up slooowly. Time to go fight some giant rats WITH an adventuring party or something.

Starting at level one also makes the choice of race and class a bit trickier. Wizards are great, but I do not want to be a level 1 wizard with few hitpoints and no armor. That's asking to die an unfortunate death. On the other opposite end of the spectrum, I wouldn't really want to lock myself into Barbarian, cool as those are. Magic is a strong tool. Fighter with hopes of becoming an Eldritch Knight is a good choice. Either that or, weirdly, Warlock Variant Human with Medium Armor proficiency for my feat. Sure, it's not as good as Fighter at survivability, but it still beats the pants off wizard at early levels, you can fight with a shield in one hand and an arcane focus in the other. And being charisma specced means being good at talking to people, which matters even more once things are real and not an abstract game.

Yeah, I think Human Warlock. Survivability orientation means: Probably Celestial. Not only does that give you healing powers, they're the least likely to screw you over. Starting stats (assuming point buy), probably something like STR 8 DEX 14 (+1 from Moderately Armored Feat) CON 14 (+1 from being human) INT 12 WIS 12 CHA 16 (+1 from human). Constitution and Dex for not dying. Wisdom for Perception and not being mind controlled. Now I could trade a couple points of Int for more Wisdom but that starts being less cost effective when you get over 12, so I figured I might as well just take an extra bonus there. INT is theoretically not necessary for the build, but it should be useful in learning about this new world I've been dumped in.

Cleric and druid are also good choices, because again, d8 hit dice, magic healing, and armor proficiency. Less spammable magic attack powers at low levels, though, and sometimes the best defense is a good offense. Especially if that good offense shoves your opponent away from you. Cleric, like Warlock, does have the potential drawback of the source of your power making demands on you, though, which Druid avoids.
    I think a lot like you, i could make my way with you for sure. I agree with a lot of your philosophy, though i went with druid as they seem more survival-specialized. Even at level 1, my Wood Elf Druid who cant wild shape yet is quick, can Fog Cloud and Hide with Mask of the Wild, Has pretty solid ranged damage. So my combat prowess is workable. But what really sells me is Goodberry allows me to create my own food, Create/Destroy water allows me to create my water. I have Mold Earth so i can easily create shelter creating a cave of some kind or shifting the earth around. I took Prestidigitation for Cleanliness/Food reasons. Im able to gain proficiency in Animal Handling, Nature, Survival. I think with a +3 dex Mod and Longbow Proficiency with Studded Leather im strong enough, sneaky enough to get the jump on a few easy fights. I can run away easily if needed.

Should be enough to get to level 2. I mean, Elves live 750 some odd years so i can play it safe. Once i hit level 2, it's Moon Druid and i get 2 Dire Wolf shifts daily, and from there on it's easy-street.

I'd go with variant human druid; I think becoming non-human would alter my personality greatly, and the extra feat will be nice. I'd take Magic initiate: Wizard as my first level feat for find familiar, prestidigitation, and minor illusion, while I'd take druidcraft, primal savagery, and something else with druid cantrips. Druid lets me create food and water while I figure out what the world is like so I can take my time, having a smart pet that can scout for me would be fun and useful, and prestidigitation gives such improved quality of life while living rough and learning the world (eternally clean clothes and every meal can taste like whatever I want). Presuming I make it to second level, I then become a moon druid and get to have fun becoming various animals while being very hard to kill. If I make it to high levels, then I can become an extreme explorer spending all day in elemental forms for protection while using plane shift and transport via plants to get wherever I want very quickly.

Wizard could be interesting, especially if I make it to high levels and get to poke around with how the cosmos works, but surviving as a lone wizard unfamiliar with the world would be really difficult, and having magic based around instinct instead of study suits me better even though I am good at learning things. Also if I want to live forever, wizard options tend to be a lot riskier and scarier, while as a druid I'd have the slow aging and would just need one druid ally to reincarnate into a fresh body. Martials don't really appeal to me, I'd like to have magic in a magical world.
    You also are someone i could party with. You convinced me to drop Shape Water and take Prestidigitation.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

High Elf Wizard, going Bladesinger.

It's not that it's my favorite or anything. I'll probably utilize modern technology to jumpstart a magitech Renaissance (anyone play the Legend of Heroes games? Because the Orbal Revolution has come), and wizards have the best class features to do this. I'll play extremely conservatively until I get some levels and treasure on me, then start my grand works.

Which is all nice, but my biggest concern is actually leaving. Even if I'm "stuck", there are canonical ways to get from Toril to our Earth. If I'm a wizard long enough, I'll simply gain the necessary magic to do so. Then I come home.

As a high level wizard. Which is going to be way more fun than being a tech-savvy person in Toril, I think. I shall bring magic to the masses!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    High Elf Wizard, going Bladesinger.

It's not that it's my favorite or anything. I'll probably utilize modern technology to jumpstart a magitech Renaissance (anyone play the Legend of Heroes games? Because the Orbal Revolution has come), and wizards have the best class features to do this. I'll play extremely conservatively until I get some levels and treasure on me, then start my grand works.

Which is all nice, but my biggest concern is actually leaving. Even if I'm "stuck", there are canonical ways to get from Toril to our Earth. If I'm a wizard long enough, I'll simply gain the necessary magic to do so. Then I come home.

As a high level wizard. Which is going to be way more fun than being a tech-savvy person in Toril, I think. I shall bring magic to the masses!
    You won't, which is why I mentioned leaving for a better setting ASAP. FR has a god that prevent such things. Gond's the reason why black powder doesn't work in FR and has to be replaced with magical alternative, which can't be mass-produced.

Also, I wonder how much "modern technology" you would be able to recreate with late medieval/early renaissance tech base, based just on your knowledge.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    You won't, which is why I mentioned leaving for a better setting ASAP. FR has a god that prevent such things. Gond's the reason why black powder doesn't work in FR and has to be replaced with magical alternative, which can't be mass-produced.

Also, I wonder how much "modern technology" you would be able to recreate with late medieval/early renaissance tech base, based just on your knowledge.
    I'd require magic as the primary crux, entirely because of how the gods tend to interfere. Also because I think they'll end up superior in the long run. Use permanent magic items to replace things like energy sources and even mechanical parts.

I'm a big enough nerd that I've researched the basic construction of things like textile factories, steam engines, combustion engines, and airplanes, and I have some rudimentary knowledge of analog computers and electronics. I'd require research to fill in the gaps in what I know, and experimentation to discover magical workarounds.

Fortunately, questing for long enough will also make me a super genius (by level 8 if I was summoned with point buy), better able to wield what I know now than I could possibly manage at the moment. I'm confident that being a super genius with even the idea of modern convenience will help me recreate them.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

That's absolutely dependable on whoever gets transported, a friend of mine has 2 chemical degrees, another is a farming engineer and I am an environmental engineer. And I would guess that most people on these forum would have plenty of abilities that would absolutely turn a medieval world on its head.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

14. - Top - End - #74

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    That's absolutely dependable on whoever gets transported, a friend of mine has 2 chemical degrees, another is a farming engineer and I am an environmental engineer. And I would guess that most people on these forum would have plenty of abilities that would absolutely turn a medieval world on its head.
    I'm a PA, for example. What i know of medicine would change things.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

While plenty in the world are, I'd hazard to guess that most spending time on this forum are unlikely to be under serious threat of famine or being on the receiving end of a brutal village raid perpetrated by a brutal foe with no regard for what we consider humane behavior. I would want to get back home ASAP where my life is fairly safe and insanely comfortable by the average D&D novel's standards.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

16. - Top - End - #76

In addition to the real world knowledge of technology, medicine and hundreds of other subjects, are we assuming that our knowledge of the Forgotten Realms game world is accurate?

Is everything we know about the maps, terrain, environments, history, current NPCs, dungeon locations, gods, politics, monsters, magic, etc from reading published materials considered to still be accurate upon our arrival?

Because that alone gives us a huge advantage. Depending on how well versed you are in FR game lore and 5E stat blocks, you are not just arriving with your knowledge and skills from the modern world, you are arriving with a trove of knowledge about your new world to rival the greatest of sages in Faerun.
    Last edited by Yakmala; 2019-08-14 at 01:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Callin - Variant Human Hexblade Warlock (Replacing level 6 ability with level 6 ability of Stone Sorcerer. Using the Modifying Class rules.)

Background- Inheritor (Variant)- Ring of Spell Storing (level 1 Horde can roll off Table G which is on there)
    Variant Feat- Magic Inititate- 0-Mage Hand, Prestidigitation. 1st- Find Familiar
    Variant Familiar with Sidekick Rules- Faerie Dragon- Spellcaster Class- Druid

First thing I would do is head to Elminsters as someone else said. Lheo would of course turn me away but I would leave a message for him about how I am from the same world as Ed Greenwood who I know has sat in on some of Elminsters meetings with Powerful mages from other Prime Material Planes. (early 2000s Dragon Mag article). So something that off the wall would hopefully get me an audience.

From there I would just hang in Shadowdale for a bit. Mourn the loss of certain old book favorites and then hopefully meet up with a Party of people and try to live my life.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Honest question to some people here.

Do you really have the mechanical knowledge and skills to replicate modern technology?

I know I don't. I couldn't make a car or gunpowder or indoor plumbing or modern textiles or steel or harness electricity or most other modern conveniences.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post

Do you really have the mechanical knowledge and skills to replicate modern technology?

I know I don't. I couldn't make a car or gunpowder or indoor plumbing or modern textiles or steel or harness electricity or most other modern conveniences.
    There are some things that I figure I could explain well enough for competent smiths to turn into something useful. I am not, however; the Professor from Gilligan's island.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

No, but the OP said I can choose my race and class and I think a level 1 artificer would have a head start on such things.

But as I said in my post, I would get to supplying Adventurers ASAP. I'd want to ensure my worth to them to convince them I was worth keeping alive so I could hopefully make it past first deadly levels.

At that point I'd actually figure that adventuring would amass myself more wealth more quickly than trying to revolutionize the forgotten realms with modern technology would.

21. - Top - End - #81

None of which has anything to do with my comment or WTD's.
    WTD postulated that people were foolish for seeking immortality when they might live through "PTSD inducing" disasters. I pointed out that real people endure literal PTSD-inducing disasters and can expect more to come, yet continue to want to live as a counter to the idea that the possibility of living through a PTSD-inducing disaster should lead people to not want to be long-lived in that scenario. It is a direct response to WTD's comment, which was the one I quoted.{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-02 at 09:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
    While plenty in the world are, I'd hazard to guess that most spending time on this forum are unlikely to be under serious threat of famine or being on the receiving end of a brutal village raid perpetrated by a brutal foe with no regard for what we consider humane behavior. I would want to get back home ASAP where my life is fairly safe and insanely comfortable by the average D&D novel's standards.
    Again, discussion of current politics is specifically forbidden on this forum, so I'll just say that I disagree with your assertion and leave it at that.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tallytrev813 View Post
    I'm a PA, for example. What i know of medicine would change things.
    Would it, though? Your knowledge may not be fully appliable to anything not human, fantasy diseases (including actual disease-causing demons and a literal gods (as in, multiple of them) of disease) could still be a problem, and does penicillium or other useful resources even exists in FR? Even if it does, instantly curing any disease costs 40 gp, which is 2/3 of month's wage for a skilled worker... propably proportionally cheaper, and definitely more effective, than alternatives based on actual biology. Dealing with injuries is even cheaper, and just as fast, unless we're talking missing limbs.... which requires very high level caster, but is something modern medicine can't do at all. Not to mention raising dead.

Medicine is one field where magic offers huge advantage over mundane solutions. The cheaters don't really need knowledge to back up their tricks.

Again, discussion of current politics is specifically forbidden on this forum, so I'll just say that I disagree with your assertion and leave it at that.
    .{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-02 at 09:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

I could be a Forge Cleric and create items with Blessing of the Forge. I could be an Artificier. I could choose to have expertise in Tinkering. I could be a Conjuration Wizard and make a temporary example from which other smiths, tinkerers, forge clerics or artificers could gain the knowledge to re-create the item in question.

And not every "invention" I introduce to society requires mechanical, chemical or medical knowledge to make an impact.

I could become one of the greatest Bards ever known simply by taking credit for the hundreds of song lyrics I know, poems I've read or the re-writing of famous plays to make them fit the world of Faerun. I could introduce card and board games they have never heard of or cocktails they have never tasted. Even with my limited cooking skills I can introduce recipes they never considered.

25. - Top - End - #85

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    Variant Human Arcana Cleric of Mystra with a Noble Background and Magic Initiate (Druid) starting feat.

• Cleric of Mystra because I want to be in good standing with Elminster and Storm Silverhand.
    • Arcana Cleric + Magic Initiate (Druid) means seven starting cantrips and the ability to perform Divine, Arcane and Nature magic.
    • Noble Background allows me to associate with high society when needed.
    • I could live a quiet life casting cantrips, healing those in need and (assuming I still possess it) using my 21st century knowledge to "invent" some interesting things...
    • ... But if it became necessary, I have the right combination of arms, armor and magic to defend my home or even adventure.
    This is very much what I would do as option 1. Having mold earth, shape water, mending, and prestidigitation would make you a very successful all-round workman who could build all sorts of infrastructure quickly. Having goodberry and cure wounds on top of it means you'll be self-sufficient and beloved in the community (if you use your magic to the benefit of the people). SAD Shillelagh/GFB or BB means you'll be handy in combat with basically 0 gear investment. Stick on guidance and light and you're pretty much set for adventure. If adventure never calls, you can make dirt castles and fill them with pitfalls and try and rack up XP from the rats that wander in.

For option 2: Aarakocra rogue. High mobility and stealth can let you take the engagements you want so you can actually level, survive, and join an adventuring party without being a dead weight.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

WTD postulated that people were foolish for seeking immortality when they might live through "PTSD inducing" disasters. I pointed out that real people endure literal PTSD-inducing disasters and can expect more to come, yet continue to want to live as a counter to the idea that the possibility of living through a PTSD-inducing disaster should lead people to not want to be long-lived in that scenario. It is a direct response to WTD's comment, which was the one I quoted. Not sure why you couldn't see this on your own, but there you go.
    Your use of blue text in the previous makes it very hard to parse any real point. Are you in fact trying to be sarcastic? Serious as you seem now to be saying? The reference to something probably violating board rules and now putting PTSD inducing in quotes like that makes it genuinely unclear exactly what is going on, but I'm reading some hostility there in between the lines.

Regardless, my point was a response to MK's, comment that FR is something of a crapsack world. The printed history of Fearun is what? A couple thousand years? 5-10? Certainly something that a 1:10 aging elven druid or the like's lifespan could approach a majority of. Yet every 3-800 years or so seem to be extreme, ginormous, continent reshaping, entire people eliminating, pantheons of gods redistributing cataclysms and such. None of this is arguing that, were you to find yourselves in the OP situation, you should just up and commit suicide or the like, or even just live 'live hard and die young' lifestyle. Instead, I was trying to argue that treating living absolutely as long a life as possible not to be a primary goal. Nothing more or less.

Instead (and I didn't have time to expand on this in my last post, but I will here), I'd argue that one would want to maximize personal fulfillment, and a subjective sense of a long, well-lived life. Everything written about elves tends to paint them as not thinking of their own lives as long, but merely normal (and the other races are just short lived creatures to them, kind of like how we think of dogs or cats). Elves will spend 10 years on this or that flight of fancy because it means nothing to them, but that means the 10 years also means nothing. It's just adding a zero to the right of everything. Druids too, get an extended lifespan, but it doesn't necessarily mean that their lives are full (but does increase their odds of experiencing their whole world being turned upside down). The mindset for why druids got slow aging to begin with is a little poorly articulated back in early A/D&D, but they sure painted the picture of forest guardians, as slow to change as the landscape they protect. To my mind, the people that win out on the lifespan lottery are those that get to live 'a little more than they think of as "normal."' For that, half elves, living amongst humans, seems to be a good choice -- your frame of reference is that the normal lifespan is approximately 70-100 years, and you get to live about twice that.

27. - Top - End - #87

BardGuy

Would it, though? Your knowledge may not be fully appliable to anything not human, fantasy diseases (including actual disease-causing demons and a literal gods (as in, multiple of them) of disease) could still be a problem, and does penicillium or other useful resources even exists in FR? Even if it does, instantly curing any disease costs 40 gp, which is 2/3 of month's wage for a skilled worker... propably proportionally cheaper, and definitely more effective, than alternatives based on actual biology. Dealing with injuries is even cheaper, and just as fast, unless we're talking missing limbs.... which requires very high level caster, but is something modern medicine can't do at all. Not to mention raising dead.

Medicine is one field where magic offers huge advantage over mundane solutions. The cheaters don't really need knowledge to back up their tricks.

Not just current: I've recieved a warning for mentioning ancient Egyptian politics.
    Medicine gets pigeonholed into Penicillin in these instances easily.

There's a lot of preventative medicine that would still apply in this world concerning diet, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and identifying medical issues. Prescribing Azythromycin is a very small aspect of what a PCP does.

In particular, i specialize in Psychiatry.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

28. - Top - End - #88

BardGuy

Your use of blue text in the previous makes it very hard to parse any real point. Are you in fact trying to be sarcastic? Serious as you seem now to be saying? The reference to something probably violating board rules and now putting PTSD inducing in quotes like that makes it genuinely unclear exactly what is going on, but I'm reading some hostility there in between the lines.

Regardless, my point was a response to MK's, comment that FR is something of a crapsack world. The printed history of Fearun is what? A couple thousand years? 5-10? Certainly something that a 1:10 aging elven druid or the like's lifespan could approach a majority of. Yet every 3-800 years or so seem to be extreme, ginormous, continent reshaping, entire people eliminating, pantheons of gods redistributing cataclysms and such. None of this is arguing that, were you to find yourselves in the OP situation, you should just up and commit suicide or the like, or even just live 'live hard and die young' lifestyle. Instead, I was trying to argue that treating living absolutely as long a life as possible not to be a primary goal. Nothing more or less.

Instead (and I didn't have time to expand on this in my last post, but I will here), I'd argue that one would want to maximize personal fulfillment, and a subjective sense of a long, well-lived life. Everything written about elves tends to paint them as not thinking of their own lives as long, but merely normal (and the other races are just short lived creatures to them, kind of like how we think of dogs or cats). Elves will spend 10 years on this or that flight of fancy because it means nothing to them, but that means the 10 years also means nothing. It's just adding a zero to the right of everything. Druids too, get an extended lifespan, but it doesn't necessarily mean that their lives are full (but does increase their odds of experiencing their whole world being turned upside down). The mindset for why druids got slow aging to begin with is a little poorly articulated back in early A/D&D, but they sure painted the picture of forest guardians, as slow to change as the landscape they protect. To my mind, the people that win out on the lifespan lottery are those that get to live 'a little more than they think of as "normal."' For that, half elves, living amongst humans, seems to be a good choice -- your frame of reference is that the normal lifespan is approximately 70-100 years, and you get to live about twice that.
    I think you articulate a good point, i just wholly disagree with the philosophy. To me, a longer life is a major benefit. Time is the single most valuable resource there is.

A life of 6650 years affords you so many more opportunities for travel, experience, etc. Are you risking Disaster? Sure, thats what life is. Risk.

I'd much rather have 6,000+ years in favor of 200 years of life, because i love life. It would give me the opportunity to master anything, to experience everything, and to truly live that existence to it's fullest.

My goal would not be to live the longest, it would be to reach safety and security with an extended life span to go out and do anything and everything i wanted to do in that existence. And, as a Moon Druid who can shape shift into all manner of creatures AND is a Full-Spellcaster...there's a lot to do!
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

29. - Top - End - #89

Does the Druid's Timeless Body actually extend your lifespan?

The text of the Timeless Body Ability states

"For every 10 years that pass, your body ages only 1 year."

So, a 700 year old Elf will have the body of an (Elven) 70 year old. But is their lifespan actually extended? The text does not specifically state this.

Assuming you still only get 700-1,000 years of life as an Elf, the best route to a long life might be something like this:

1: Elf: 700-1,000 year lifespan.

2: Long Death Monk. At level level 15 you have Purity of Body, Mastery of Death, Diamond Soul and Timeless Body. You don't show any of the frailty of age and can't be magically aged. You are immune to poison and disease. You no longer need food or water. You have proficiency on all saving throws. And best of all, you can be knocked down to 0 HP 15 times per short rest and spend a Ki point to be at one HP instead. And this ability does not take an action, bonus action or reaction so you can do it even when incapacitated. Add on Evasion and the ability to gain Temp HP from your kills and you are extremely hard to put down.

3: Zealot Barbarian. At 3rd level, you gain Warrior of the Gods, making spells that restore you to life free from material components. Add on the Acolyte background and you can get free spell services at your temple. So, if somehow something manages to get past your Long Death Monk ability to not die multiple times per day, you can still be brought back to life for free as long as something remains of your body to bring to a temple.

You only get 700 to 1,000 years of life, but it's highly unlikely anything is going to prevent you from reaching the finish line. And you'll still be healthy and spry when the Raven Queen finally comes for you.
    Last edited by Yakmala; 2019-08-14 at 03:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

The blue text was, in fact, sarcastic, which is what blue text indicates on this board, while the non-blue text was not sarcastic, as blue text indicates sarcasm. "PTSD inducing" is in quotes because it's an exact quote from the material I was referencing, that's how quotation marks are normally used..{Scrubbed}

Regardless, my point was a response to MK's, comment that FR is something of a crapsack world. The printed history of Fearun is what? A couple thousand years? 5-10? Certainly something that a 1:10 aging elven druid or the like's lifespan could approach a majority of. Yet every 3-800 years or so seem to be extreme, ginormous, continent reshaping, entire people eliminating, pantheons of gods redistributing cataclysms and such. None of this is arguing that, were you to find yourselves in the OP situation, .{Scrubbed} Instead, I was trying to argue that treating living absolutely as long a life as possible not to be a primary goal. Nothing more or less.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to desire to be an immortal with godlike powers (high level character, especially a caster) and have to deal with a crisis situation every half millennia that they can meaningfully impact with their amazing abilities. That sounds a lot less 'crapsack' than worrying about the domestic, international, and climate-related threat..{Scrubbed}

Also, we should compare 'crapsack' Faerun, which has something bad enough to cause widespread PTSD to happen every 500 or so years with the real world. .{Scrubbed} Changes in gods? Yeah, some 'slight' changes in religion between each 500 year mark. Changes in geography? OK, that one doesn't really happen, but it's also not PTSD inducing as that happens from personal trauma.

The argument just doesn't hold up, and the idea that "PTSD inducing" events don't happen to people who can participate in gaming, or messageboards, or both is very insulting and dismissive to people who have lived through such events.
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-02 at 09:47 PM.