New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Inadvertent Sphinx Pox Apocalypse

I was reading an unrelated topic regarding a particular comic strip, then clicked to this one, and then sudden realization dawned upon me.

Apparently, a single cat somehow contracted a deadly disease from... who knows what or how. And it infected every other humanoid being on the mechane within a span of a few days. Or perhaps, it spread to a couple people who then spread it to some more, etc.

It's not that I think Sphinx Pox will have a huge impact on the story. For all we know, the Order will wrap up this Dwarven Council business in short order then fly on over to the last gate and have their final showdown with Xykon. The disease will probably never be an issue for the main story. My main concern is the disease's seemingly alarming rate of transmission, and what happens after.

Think about it. The one who probably spent the most time with the cat is Belkar. And I don't imagine other members of the Order or Mechane shipmates getting particularly close to either of them for long, yet the disease still spread to every other member of that crew.

For now, the Order is visiting Dwarven territories, so it seems likely that the disease will spread to any dwarf that they have any amount of prolonged contact with. And of course, from there, the disease could spread to just about every last dwarf in the kingdom before the symptoms start manifesting, and it might take them a few days to figure out what's going on. By time they do, they'll all be muddled in riddles, and there won't be nearly enough cure disease magic to save most. I think Hel could get a huge score on Dwarven souls without even realizing it.

What is even more alarming than this is that the Order almost certainly spread this disease earlier at different locations. It's unlikely that they spread the disease to Tarquin or any of his goons, but after that, they visited a gnome civilization and had prolonged contact with many of its inhabitants, having joyful brunches and visiting various temples.

After that, the Order came to the godsmoot, wherein clerics from all over the world have gathered. Imagine, if just a few of them initially contracted that disease (actually Wrecan and Veldrina almost certainly got it, along with her pet tiger), and they were forced to stay waiting for the tie breaker vote for some weeks. Probably every last one of them would have the disease too, without even realizing it, and then they'd all go back home, to their places all across the globe. This situation is probably the perfect, most catastrophic "ground zero" for the beginnings of a pandemic disease, if there ever was one.

Laugh it off, play it down as you will. But I do think Rich is an extremely brilliant writer, who could take a comic that appears to have a harmless, forgotten joke, and turn it into a serious threat.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Inadvertent Sphinx Pox Apocalypse

Would Sphinx Pox be resistant to Cure Disease somehow? It might have been a problem aboard the Mechane where there was no clerics (at least not powerful ones), but in large population centers it should be manageable.
    It might still matter to the story, but it could easily be a one-off joke too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it would be resistant to the cure disease spell. But I do think that its long incubation period and seemingly high contagiousness mean that there won't be nearly enough clerics and paladins to cure everyone.

They'll all get infected and spread it around more before even realizing they have it, and that is the biggest challenge.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-10 at 05:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hel used her powers to ensure that everybody on the ship got the disease. This she ahs altered either
    1) The disease itself,
    2)The immune system of the people on the ship,
    3)Both.

Since she was unable to speed up the incubation phase it seems like she can't modify the disease itself.
    so it was most likely B, which I guess would manifest as an autofail on whatever saving throw is used when you are in contact with an infected person. As such I am confident that Sphinx pox won't be as infectious to the people who were not on the Mechane.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfPirate

Note that Hel says "Thanks to my unholy power", which I take to mean that everyone on the ship becoming infected not as a natural outcome of the disease but rather by Hel interfering as goddess of disease. [ETA: I've been beaten to this observation while I was researching the time hints for the following]

But you've got me thinking about that five week incubation period. How much do we know about how much time has passed since the end of Don't Split the Party when Belkar had seven weeks to live? The Order spent three days in the Empire of Blood waiting for Tarquin to tell them what he knew about the Draketooths, and another day to rescue V from the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing. Then they spent one day in Tinkertown and I think that's been it so far? So there is enough time for the Sphinx pox to kill Belkar on schedule. It might not, of course, and this theory wouldn't explain how others (at least Elan, for his happy ending) survive (if it is Cure Disease why not cure Belkar?) But I think the timing checks out.
    Last edited by Bogardan_Mage; 2019-08-10 at 06:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bogardan_Mage View Post
    Note that Hel says "Thanks to my unholy power", which I take to mean that everyone on the ship becoming infected not as a natural outcome of the disease but rather by Hel interfering as goddess of disease. [ETA: I've been beaten to this observation while I was researching the time hints for the following]

But you've got me thinking about that five week incubation period. How much do we know about how much time has passed since the end of Don't Split the Party when Belkar had seven weeks to live? The Order spent three days in the Empire of Blood waiting for Tarquin to tell them what he knew about the Draketooths, and another day to rescue V from the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing. Then they spent one day in Tinkertown and I think that's been it so far? So there is enough time for the Sphinx pox to kill Belkar on schedule. It might not, of course, and this theory wouldn't explain how others (at least Elan, for his happy ending) survive (if it is Cure Disease why not cure Belkar?) But I think the timing checks out.
    They spent two days with Tarquin, Nale showing up made him agree to give them info early. And Durkon was vampirized for around six days. Also it took them some time to get from the ships to the fake coordinates point to Bleedingham. I think the disease is set for after Belkar's death.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Along with what the others have mentioned above, I highly, highly doubt that this story is going to end "And then the Dwarven Kingdom was devastated by Sphinx Pox, killing untold thousands until the plague was contained, allowing Hel to rise as the queen of the Northern Pantheon anyway."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It's more likely that if Hel has brief cutaway to her, then she will probably bring up Sphinx Pox...just in time for someone to say "and we've gone ahead and cast cure disease on everyone, just in case!"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    For now, the Order is visiting Dwarven territories, so it seems likely that the disease will spread to any dwarf that they have any amount of prolonged contact with. And of course, from there, the disease could spread to just about every last dwarf in the kingdom before the symptoms start manifesting, and it might take them a few days to figure out what's going on. By time they do, they'll all be muddled in riddles, and there won't be nearly enough cure disease magic to save most. I think Hel could get a huge score on Dwarven souls without even realizing it.
    If it comes down to that they can always use Eugene's plan and charge a dragon or start a quick civil war
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks to my unholy power" could be interpreted in a lot of ways. I'm thinking that she can enhance the success rate that it spreads. Given the couple weeks the ship crew all spent on board with Belkar and his cat, that turns into just about a guarantee. But:

1) Note that at the end of the strip, apparently Hel can't alter the disease that much anyway.
    2) People and animals can naturally contract the disease anyway. Otherwise, how did Mr. Scruffy get it in the first place?

I doubt that the story ends with the whole world dying to Sphinx Pox, but I just think that it will go from "haha funny one liner joke!" to "oh wow, this is something that needs to be dealt with!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    "Thanks to my unholy power" could be interpreted in a lot of ways. I'm thinking that she can enhance the success rate that it spreads. Given the couple weeks the ship crew all spent on board with Belkar and his cat, that turns into just about a guarantee. But:

1) Note that at the end of the strip, apparently Hel can't alter the disease that much anyway.
    2) People and animals can naturally contract the disease anyway. Otherwise, how did Mr. Scruffy get it in the first place?

I doubt that the story ends with the whole world dying to Sphinx Pox, but I just think that it will go from "haha funny one liner joke!" to "oh wow, this is something that needs to be dealt with!"
    I think it will be mentioned at some point in the next ten years (because OOTS will probably be over by then), but it will only be as brick joke of sorts, nothing serious.

12. - Top - End - #12

I think it will come down to “Cure Disease.”

Hel will threaten not to grant that spell to a priest of Thor, but Thor (or Loki) reminds her of the domain agreement. Hel boasts that she’s going to do it anyway, but they tell her what Durkula said to Durkon: “Frankly, you’re just not that important.”
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Remove Disease" is still a 3rd level Cleric Spell, that any cleric of level 5 or beyond can cast.

Also, since Hel's unholy power was involved in it's rapid spread, it makes sense that Thor might have already eliminated while Hel was busy following the infiltration of her vampires in Firmament.

14. - Top - End - #14

Am I the only one to think that

Spoiler: Blood runs in the family
    Show
    they got sphinx pox from that sphinx with pox at the counter? I thought it was acne, but now I'm not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

It was brought up not too long after the book came out - in this post from mid-2018:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Havran View Post
    The Order encountered a sphinx with pox marks on the face on their route from Sandsedge, in one of the bonus strips in book 5.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It was brought up not too long after the book came out - in this post from mid-2018:

Spoiler
    Show

Was Mr. Scruffy at all nearby then?

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Was Mr. Scruffy at all nearby then?
    Depends how you define nearby:

Spoiler
    Show
    he wasn't, as far as we know, in the same room with the sphinx - only Haley, Elan, and Vaasuvius were. But he was in the vicinity of the little building the sphinx was in - everybody was.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Depends how you define nearby:

Spoiler
    Show
    he wasn't, as far as we know, in the same room with the sphinx - only Haley, Elan, and Vaasuvius were. But he was in the vicinity of the little building the sphinx was in - everybody was.
    Not nearby enough to reasonably get any disease from him, so not nearby (in this situation).
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-08-10 at 01:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

A possible way:

Spoiler
    Show
    Sphinx fleas hopped to one of the three who were mere feet away from the sphinx, then hopped off the person and onto Mr Scruffy shortly after the party were reunited.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-08-10 at 01:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Given that Hel attributes the mass infection to her unholy power, maybe she gave Durkula some sort of spell to make it spread more while he was still on the ship?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HeraldOfExius View Post
    Given that Hel attributes the mass infection to her unholy power, maybe she gave Durkula some sort of spell to make it spread more while he was still on the ship?
    I guess, though I don't see why Durkula would risk his ride in the event that everything goes wrong.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #22

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

Show
    they got sphinx pox from that sphinx with pox at the counter? I thought it was acne, but now I'm not so sure.
    I went back and reread that part... A reminder why V is one of my favorite characters.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post

Show
    Which strip was that?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    "Remove Disease" is still a 3rd level Cleric Spell, that any cleric of level 5 or beyond can cast.

Also, since Hel's unholy power was involved in it's rapid spread, it makes sense that Thor might have already eliminated while Hel was busy following the infiltration of her vampires in Firmament.
    Thor's power is Storms and Thunder/Lighting. He's not the super healer guy.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Which strip was that?
    687a in the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I think that Rich choose the cat as a vector of contagion for a feline monster is somewhat significant.

Maybe the sphinx pox is a feline disease that can spread among all feline races (even if the main race dealing with this disease is the sphinx).
    The disease can be transmitted from feline to human, but is not able to transmit from human to human.

Let's look at an equivalent disease in our world : the avian influenza due to H5N1 virus.
    It's a bird flu that transmitted strongly among the birds, the poultry as well as the wild ones.

The epidemy was big among the birds, few people were infected and were mostly in prolonged exposure (workers of poultry farms).
    There's a few cases of infections that are suspected to be human to human transmission, but it isn't confirmed.

So I think that the sphinx pox is a bit like that.
    Transmission between feline is common and really highly possible.
    Transmission feline-to-human(oid) is a risk less common, but possible, specially with prolonged exposure (like being all living on a flying boat with an infected cat)
    Transmission human(oid)-to-human(oid) is really rare if not even possible.

Hel may have given a little push in the infection on the boat to be sure everyone is infected (giving the virus a longer life outside organism for example), but she can't really alter the whole way the disease works (like the incubation period of five weeks she had to deal with), so it's unlikely she can change the list of infectious races.

Mr Scruffy have been walking through the dwarf city (and a bit in the gnome city), but the "not-prolonged" exposure of the gnomes and dwarves make it unlikely there's a lot of contamination. Well, in the dwarf city, Hel may have pushed a bit the infection like in the flying boat, to gain a few more souls, but I don't think she was really focused on that goal at that time.

So there might be a bunch of unfortunate dwarves dying on the way, but I think we won't but close to a tragic epidemic.

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

I would be surprised if Sphinx Pox adds nothing at all to the story. It seems an awfully detailed and specific plot element to throw out there for it to cause no problems whatsoever for our heroes. That said, I don't think it's going to be what ends the world. I can see a few possibilities, however, including:

1. It's Hel's final card to play. Our villainous goddess has had layers upon layers of contingencies and fallback plans in this arc, but she seems to be running out of tools at this point. While it's certainly complicated by the fact that Loki is watching her at the moment, she seems wily enough that she could possibly try to activate the disease, either as a final bit of leverage or just out of spite.

2. It will come up at an inconvenient time in the future. Somewhere down the line, the Order may have to pause whatever mission they're on to save the Mechane and themselves and anyone else affected, possibly giving whatever villains they're facing some extra time or something similar.

3. It could be widely cured, but someone (possibly Belkar) slips through the cracks and dies of it. I don't consider this mutually exclusive with my theory #2, so both could possibly be the case.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    I would be surprised if Sphinx Pox adds nothing at all to the story. It seems an awfully detailed and specific plot element to throw out there for it to cause no problems whatsoever for our heroes.
    You might be overthinking this a bit. It seems like its a one-off joke that doesn't actually set up anything. If anything, it's poking fun at how inept Hel actually is in comparison to how powerful she feels she is.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For all that's been said here, it's clear that the riddle of Sphinx Pox has not been deciphered yet...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

30. - Top - End - #30

ElfWarriorGuy

Its a pending apoxalypse!
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan