The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now

Thread: DoKB OOC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default DoKB OOC

This is the OOC thread for this game.

More to follow ...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: DoKB OOC

Character Sheets

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Iím picturing a knight from Vertland, who was raised into the vanguard of Royceís forces as a young man and became a small member of the royal gaurd. He was loyal to Aldenís ideals and defense of the people, believing him to the best possible king for the common people. He maintains an image of valour and style but in truth is a grizzled and ruthless veteran who will do what must be done to protect the interests and people of his present kingdom.

Main Aspect:
    Veteran Knight: 4

Side Aspects:
    Noble Savior Faire: 3
    Leader of Men: 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Feirgon View Post
    Oh, I just thought of something.

As a westerling, she would've spent a lot of time learning to navigate travel through the see. But she soon realized she was exceptional proficient at navigating by the stars.

So for her final aspect I will say Star-Gazing Navigator 3.
    Spoiler: all Cliches:
    Show
    Unstoppable Axe-Wielding Death Maker 4, Unafraid to Speak Her Mind 3, Star-Gazing Navigator 3

---

As to her relationship with the knight, I like the idea that she is a sword for hire and was once forced to cross blades with the knight. She later found herself on the same "payroll" as the knight and the two got to know each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    Hi! I've actually been waiting for the little prelude between Adrian and Shayala to finish before dropping in

I have very bad experiences with Pbp, but this system intrigues me, I like the setting, and I feel certain that I can post several times a day for the rest of the summer if required, and probably daily on average afterwards. If you guys are willing to have me tag along, I'd like to present Herlinde:

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Herlinde (Herli for her friends) is an older woman, but still fit as a fiddle. She might just be old enough to remember the last years of King Garrick's reign from her childhood. Her father was a travelling merchant from Riversend who fell in love with a Stahlmen miner's daughter (ooc: I've noticed that you don't list Stahlmen as a race option. I picked the Fauchard minority to accentuate her dislike for the current political situation, but it's easily changed to some other mix, like her father being from Greycliff and her mother Kylnnic.)

She basically grew up on horseback and remembers her parents praising King Royce for favouring peace over conquest, riding undisturbed from city to countryside, through mysterious forests, bucolic valleys and rugged mountains, the horizon always beckoning. Of course, travelling with valuable merchandise isn't always safe, so she learned to shoot and to aim - after all, you often don't get a second chance. Becoming a bounty hunter just grew naturally out of her itinerant lifestyle and her love for the Thrannish Empire.

Now, everything has gone haywire: there are border checks wherever you go and most of her contacts and friends would consider each other enemies. She has no idea where her loyalties should lie, but one thing is certain: Royce's decision to split up the empire was a cowardly act of betrayal to the people.
    Spoiler: Clichťs
    Show
    Herlinde thinks of herself as a Deadeye Bounty Hunter with Good Manners (4). Despite her manners, she also has a bit of an attitude which stems from her age and experience: "I've been playin' this game since before the Empire was split." (4) (I couldn't think of anything more concise). Finally, she Cooks a Mean Vindaloo (2) - a recipe she got from an old Dhartan woman who she helped to track down a childhood friend.

As religious affiliation, I choose Suntouched - she's the type to get up at the crack of dawn and have everything packed and ready to go before anyone else has finished their coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    Alfred "the gold"

The third son of minor Thrans nobility, at a young age Alfred was given over to the church of the moon, where he soaked in history, theology and writing amidst other scholarly arts, he was dedicated and driven, but time after time the gnomes around him ascended just a tad easier and enjoyed knowledge and privileges he couldn't after a while leaving with a few "borrowed" texts to barter away and a drive to learn far from the controlling shackles of the hierarchy.

Cliches: Illicit binder 4, well connected middle man 3, wizened scholar 3.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Will Alfred be joining us soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Now that we have this, I won't be checking the recruitment thread again. Let's get regiciding
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedKnightGirl

I suspect that we're all waiting for Alfred to introduce himself? I'll be honest, I have no idea what we could be doing at this point IC.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    The cleric was walking through a forest when he heard a loud explosion. Upon investigation, he quickly uncovered the ruins of a large tower he couldn't remember seeing there before. He decided to search the rubble for anything worth looting. At that point, I told the wizard to start rolling to see if he would stabilise.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I, too, am unsure how to respond IC at the moment.

7. - Top - End - #7

RedKnightGirl

Thanks, Jbe!

However, I have just noticed "I have decided to take an indefinite period of time away from this." in our DM's signature, so unless I've been particularly unobservant up till now, I suspect that we will be having a break for a while. Having been on the receiving end of unexpected "life" that prevented me from keeping up with Pbp, I certainly don't mind, and will keep up with the threads through my subscription.

Hope to see you all soon!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just got better from a disease that got me bedridden for the better part of the last two weeks, came here to apologize mostly, but seeing as the game is stopped anyhow I'll just say that I'm ready if our DM returns, and hopefully we get to play this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Excuse the interruption, just popping in to tell ner his PM box has been full for a while...
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Still not fully back to involvement in this stuff. However, I'll note the following areas for players to explore: Sir Adrian - knowledge regarding details of security for the Dark Anointing. TN 10. If you succeed at the roll, expose what you know. If you fail at the roll, expose what you think you know. Either way, you and all the other characters believe what you say. Alfred - knowledge regarding details of the Anointing itself. TN 9. As above. Herli - rumors in town regarding King Bryce's intentions for what to do following the twin Anointings. TN 7. As above. Shay - routines of the city watch between the Tower of the Moon and the mooring of the getaway boat. TN 5. As above.
    Last edited by Tibbius; 2019-08-27 at 08:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regarding the preceding post:

Write out what you think your character knows, then make the roll to find out whether it's correct.

12. - Top - End - #12

This is probably just a lack of familiarity with the system...but what is TN? And what kind of roll is associated with it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I believe itís target Number? Not sure about that though as I think an aspect would have to be denoted that the target number in question was for.

So my current knowledge:

While many of Bryceís troops will surround the ceremony only a small number will be allowed inside. With the political importance of denoting spaces to the right level of people there will only be room for about ten gaurds to cover the entire chapel with two honour gaurd allowed to stand by his side.

The main barrier will be protections cast by the gnomish wizards. An annulus open to the sky allows the relevant energy through where the gnomish clerics channel it into magical protections. If weíre going to do this we either need to block the annulus on the roof or disrupt the gnomish ongoing rituals.

Iím not sure if being a veteran knight (I encountered this as a gaurd of the princes and am quite sure it hasnít changed since) or Noble Savior Fare (I heard the details from the Duchess of Alsace at the Viscountís party). So I will default to the higher number.

(4d6)[5][3][4][4](16)

Eh, above 10 either way.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2019-08-27 at 12:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedKnightGirl

I'm going to take some time to think about what could be interesting. What I'd like to do is come up with a few potential rumours and make separate rolls for each one (but in the same post, of course).

In the mean time, I'm a little unclear as to what "success" means for my rumours. I'll explain with an example, "the king likes ice cream":
    • Option a: success (the king does actually like ice cream) or failure (he prefers cake, or doesn't care)
    • Option b: success (the majority of the people believe he likes ice cream and have prepared a surprise ice cream statue in his likeness) or failure (these are just the ramblings of one person who saw the king enjoy an ice cream once)
    • Option c: success (Herli has heard the rumour that the king likes ice cream, without knowing whether it's true), or failure (she hasn't heard anything about his dessert preferences at all)

I don't need to know this in order to come up with ideas, but I thought it would be a good idea to let you know.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    In the mean time, I'm a little unclear as to what "success" means for my rumours. I'll explain with an example, "the king likes ice cream":
    • Option a: success (the king does actually like ice cream) or failure (he prefers cake, or doesn't care)
    • Option b: success (the majority of the people believe he likes ice cream and have prepared a surprise ice cream statue in his likeness) or failure (these are just the ramblings of one person who saw the king enjoy an ice cream once)
    • Option c: success (Herli has heard the rumour that the king likes ice cream, without knowing whether it's true), or failure (she hasn't heard anything about his dessert preferences at all)

I don't need to know this in order to come up with ideas, but I thought it would be a good idea to let you know.
    it's either (a) or (b), your choice. Herli definitely has heard whatever rumors you come up with.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbius View Post
    it's either (a) or (b), your choice. Herli definitely has heard whatever rumors you come up with.
    ooh, I'll have to mull over what Alfred knows for a bit.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

17. - Top - End - #17

Shay - routines of the city watch between the Tower of the Moon and the mooring of the getaway boat. TN 5. As above.

Shayala

These people and their customs are opaque to Shayala. Her ability to discern the correct course of action in a social setting is, at best, lacking. Unfortunately for her, many people aren't willing to take the time to educate a Westerling in basic social norms. But taverns seem to break this rule.

Taverns, inns, and other locales of libation are the few places where Shay's "other-ness" is more acceptable or at least ignored. These are places that she can get comfortable and ask questions without putting other people off. It is often the case that her conversations are with those looking to speak with a stranger. Maybe it helps that she is a female, but she is still uncertain to what degree this is an advantage. Regardless, it is through these many nights that she ends up being a sounding board to many locals; even the town guard.

Now, this was helpful as she was not always employed by those in favor of the law. And knowing where to be and when could mean the difference between a successful mission or a less than successful mission. So, she uses these opportunities to learn not just about the culture of these people, but also to the specifics of their life, if such specifics intersect with her line of work. The older guards were often less glib on the nature of the work, this contrasted with the younger guards. And even if the younger guards weren't immediately forthcoming with the work they did, Shay was never one to mince words and would often challenge them to drinking games to further their inebriation and willingness to speak.

As it turned out, she had learned a bit about the town guard routines of many sectors of the city, especially the docks. Many believed the patrol pattern there was random, but Shayala learned that each individual guard had their own pattern to follow. It was more of a matter of learning which guard was on duty on any given night. This may be a bit random, but it was often the case that the younger members of the guard would handle evening duties when the city was holding an event.

This "Dark Anointing" is very much an event.

Shayala is confident she knows that the guards near the tower are to be the more senior and those at the docks are to be the younger. Hopefully, she can remember the specific patterns of the patrols for the guards on duty tonight.

Unafraid to Speak Her Mind (3d6)[4][4][6](14)
    Last edited by Feirgon; 2019-08-29 at 06:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Having a busy week, I'll write down my info tomorrow

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

While we're waiting for action IC and background info OOC, I thought I should mention a change back to the default rules for resolving combat.

Initially I liked the highest die option that's presented in the Risus Companion (which you don't need to play this game, but it's kind of quirky and interesting). However, pre-playing a potential group combat in my head, I realized that the highest die option falls apart (at least for dramatic purposes) when you have a team of chumps coming at a smaller team of highly skilled people. Generally we'd like the highly skilled people to subdue the chumps, because unless there are an overwhelming number of chumps that usually is what happens in the real world. But using the highest die option, the dozen chumps get as many dice as do the four skilled people, and this cuts down significantly on heroics.

So I'm going to waffle back over to the default rules where the higher total wins each round of a combat, the lower total drops a die, and when you team up, you use all of the leader's dice and all sixes from other team members' dice. This stuff can be found at page 3 of the rules.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Can the remaining to please roll and write up thier checks so we may continue with the plans?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

sorry about that, every time I got some time I was less than inspired and just let time fly past me.

Alfred, anointing rituals:

What few connections Alfred kept to the church at large were sparce, and he preferred it that way, pious people tended to dislike him this days, still the anointing rituals were old and very much unchanged as of late.

Those that happened in Moon Tower consisted of the reciting of hymns and songs, with particularly popular minstrelas and tradicionally by the king/queen as well (if only to keep their devotion out of doubt), to start, the High priest of the moon (despicable little gnome) praises while subtly poking flaws in a speech embodying some of the moon's principles, then the new monarch drinks from the goblet father and grandfather once drunk from, filled a week before with water from the sacred pools tended by the gnomes, said to divine future events; he is covered in the glimmering dark blue mantle that is the gift of the moon to the kindom's monarch and a cut opal to fit the ancient crown (all siblings making a crown with similarly sized sockets, expectant of this moment).

wizened scholar TN 9: [vroll]3d6[/vroll]

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

sorry for double post, forgot how it works:

wizened scholar TN9: (3d6)[5][5][3](13)

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Waiting at this point for a player to make a move ... either response to stimulus or narrate the passage of time and making of plans (e.g., enter the Tower of the Moon before or after the king, investigate the argument in the plaza, other?)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does Sir Adrian really go around in full armor ready for combat 24/7? I'll allow it but I'll have to adjust how people respond to him.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I mean weíre planning to do a full on elimination mission today, Iíll be more equipped than usual.

And no, itís not the full plate armour he would wear into battle, itís a helm and a decent amount of chain mail and hardened leather.