New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Posting visuals made in Excel

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this, but I've created a bunch of lovely visual representations in Excel to support a post I'm trying to make... and just realized I have no idea how to get them from Excel into the post. Is there any way to copy and paste something from Excel (with formatting intact, ideally) into a GitP post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Posting visuals made in Excel

I think you'd need to export them as images (GIF or PNG will probably work better than JPG), and then post the images. And for posting images, I think you need to find someplace to host them yourself online, like imgur or Google Photos.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Tables or graphs?

Code:
    Tables you could save as 'CSV' (I.E each cell is marked with a comma, each row with a new line) then open in notepad and replace (enter) with [/td][/tr][tr][td] and ',' with [/td][td].
    Then afterwards tidy up the first and last row and copy/paste
    It wouldn't be ideal, but it would at least get a table structure into the forums without having to recreate it totally.

Long term you could probably even create a short macro to build it and add other formatting.
    ___ETA
    this is a table
    1 1 1 1
    2 2 4 8
    3 3 9 27
    4 4 16 64
    Graphs will be a pain.
    Last edited by jayem; 2019-08-11 at 08:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    I think you'd need to export them as images (GIF or PNG will probably work better than JPG), and then post the images. And for posting images, I think you need to find someplace to host them yourself online, like imgur or Google Photos.
    That's what I've always done in the past.

If you really need people to see something on a live spreadsheet, you could host it on dropbox and link to it.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Same concept as the Dropbox Ninja_Prawn mentioned, you could import the Excel spreadsheet into Google Docs, and then "Publish" it, assuming something doesn't bugger up when it is imported. That will give you a link you can give to people so they could see the spreadsheets via Google. It won't embed directly on the board, though.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

There's an free Excel add-in I knew once that let you export Excel cells into HTML tables doing all the hard formatting and stuff. It was made purposefully to allow people post their Excel problems into a Excel helpforum. It might not be compatible with this forum in the sense that forum software different in what can be achieved with respect to visualization.

Windows this day and age can be quite clever though, it's possible it'll understand copying from Excel to turn it into HTML.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-08-12 at 09:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Thanks for everyone's advice! I ended up saving it to Google Drive and linking it from there, but next time I'll see if I can make any of the other suggestions work, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II