New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Is Fate Core considered a derivative of Fudge?

So, I'm working on a system that is somewhat based off of Fudge, and I'm finding myself wondering what it actually means, legally, to be based off of Fudge, and what I'd need to do or not do in order to be considered "original".

Now, one thing I've noticed is that Fate, another RPG that is a well-known derivative of Fudge, has its 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions published under OGL, because they are derivatives of Fudge. Fate Core (i.e. Fate 4th edition), however, is able to publish under both OGL and CC-BY, because it's... not a Fudge derivative? Somehow? Maybe?

I don't really understand this. I might also be getting ahead of myself, but I'd rather figure this out now so I know how to build (or not build) my system in order to comply by the rules. The simplest way to make sure I don't fall foul of any legal issues is to make sure my system is "original", and then I can publish under whatever license I want to. (I'm also not sure what the major differences between OGL and CC-BY are, but CC-BY seems like a simpler and easier license to understand, and also probably the more open of the two).

I'm just not quite clear as to what makes a system count as a derivative of Fudge. Fate Core uses "Fate" (Fudge) dice and has a trait ladder, albeit the ladder is slightly different from the one used in Fudge. As far as I can tell, those two things (Fudge dice and the trait ladder) are almost the entirety of what Fudge really is. Most of the rest of Fudge seems to be peripheral fluff or optional rules, or specific implementations of Fudge. So how does a system copy the most fundamental parts of Fudge without being considered a derivative of Fudge?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Is Fate Core considered a derivative of Fudge?

We can't give you legal advice on this forum, unfortunately.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I suppose that does make sense. No one wants to be held liable in case some sort of legal action does occur.

So, my own system aside, what about Fate Core? Is it considered a derivative of Fudge, and why or why not? I figure that's something that can probably be answered here. And if not, where could I go to get an answer? I suppose I could post on the Fudge or Fate forums...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pirate in the Playground Moderator

PirateWench

The Modly Roger: As Unavenger said, it is against forum rules to seek or give legal advice on this forum. The question of whether one piece of work (whether yours or not) is based off another piece of work in terms of Intellectual Property Law is a legal question. If you want legal advice on how to distinguish your piece of work from another piece of work, I recommend you consult with a lawyer.

Given that the whole purpose of this thread is to seek legal advice, I am now closing it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The Mod Life Crisis:

NUDGE:

Per the forum rules on Inappropriate Content

Professional Advice: Please do not give any form of professional advice to other posters, whether it is solicited or not, even if you are a licensed professional in that field (and especially if you are not). This includes (but is not limited to) legal, financial planning, psychological, and medical advice. As a rule of thumb, if you need a license to practice such a profession, you can't practice it here. You may suggest that someone seek out such a professional away from these message boards, but you may not actually dispense any other guidance. This rule is to protect those who need such advice from the possibility of being misled with faulty or even dangerous suggestions - however well intentioned - and to protect both you and us from unforeseen liability.
    Please do not solicit professional advice on this forum, nor give any in response to any such solicitation.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link