New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dora the Explorer (2019)

Go see this movie.

Better: read the novelisation.

This movie is not just for kids. It has bilingual jokes, amazing deconstructions of its own concepts and asks all the right questions about the source material.

I see a lot of films, and I can genuinely say this is probably the funniest I have seen yet this year.

EDIT: The original script (and the one the book is based on), was a project by Michael Bay...
    Last edited by weckar; 2019-08-13 at 08:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Dora the Explorer (2019)

Good to hear!

My 12-year-old loved Dora when she was younger. I would wake her up by turning up the volume of the TV and load up the Dora music.

We were going to se this Friday or this last weekend, but evidently we need to take her best friend who was at her Father's house (divorced parents).

I can see if we can go tonight.

My favorite episode was the one where she says "A volcano is a mountain that explodes, let's go there!" It makes me laugh every time I think about it.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-08-14 at 01:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I also saw the film. It was... kinda brilliant honestly. Better than I expected and I expected it to be surprisingly good, so that was fun. There was some stuff I genuinely didn't expect to happen, and all around it was a good film.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'm kind of surprised to hear that, actually. The trailers make it seem like a fairly mundane kid's action movie band-wagon jump (though I will grant the ones (adverts?) I saw before... Must have been Endgame made it look not as banal as the earlier ones).

Good for them, I guess!

5. - Top - End - #5

I saw one trailer for the movie. That creepy CGI monkey is more frightening than the live-action CGI Sonic the Hedgehog.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I'm kind of surprised to hear that, actually. The trailers make it seem like a fairly mundane kid's action movie band-wagon jump (though I will grant the ones (adverts?) I saw before... Must have been Endgame made it look not as banal as the earlier ones).

Good for them, I guess!
    The only trailer I saw included someone saying sarcastically "oh look everybody, Dora brought a knife to the field trip" and that's all I needed really.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I really wish I had kids or that my sister would go ahead and have a kid already so I could go see movies like this in public. This looks hilarious and self aware in all the best ways. Can’t wait for the DVD release.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I saw it tonight. It's the best movie I've seen this year, since Into the Spider-Verse.

I'm way too old to be an original Dora fan. I only know of her from, like, internet memes and I decided I wanted to see Dora and the Lost City of Gold entirely on the back of the trailer.

From which I expected to get my money's worth, a solid 7 out of 10 or an 8 as a pleasant surprise.

10 out of 10, hands down. There wasn't a joke that didn't land, an action scene that fell flat, a single shot that lasted a single frame more or less than I felt it should've. I simply have not experienced this much pure joy in a movie theater since, again, Into the Spider-Verse. Standing purely on its own, Dora and the Lost City of Gold is a cinematic masterpiece.

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

I REALLY liked the first 1/3 of the movie, and wish the whole movie was like that. The movie was good, but the first 1/3 was spectacular.

Spoiler
    Show

The first 1/3 was amazing! I loved the idea of the kid with an overactive imagination, that maybe was a bit to imaginative. If they pulled a Jim Henson's The Labyrinth . . . this would have been a perfect movie.

I think the movie lost some cool-factor when they introduced the mercenaries. I did not care for the main villain, or his henchmen.

I thought calling treasure hunters bad/evil was a bit much. A treasure hunter can be law abiding.

Swiper was a bit odd
    No jaguar, but the monkey and the fox were okay?
    The aquifer with the controls under water was a bit odd
    The magic was a bit odd
    The gods . . . are Swiper and Boots avitars of the Myan gods?
    The monkey puzzle with the water . . . maybe I missed the puzzle but why did the money god not like pretty artwork in a gold medium? The Indiana Jones puzzle was "what was <his> cup", not "what cup would <he> like" . . . I would be <he> would have loved an expertly crafted cup with pretty gems on it . . . you know art.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-08-21 at 07:55 AM.