The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Streaming games from PC to TV

I have a nice desktop in a corner of the room, and I just got a nice big TV. I'd like to be able to stream games to it, so I can take my controller over to the couch and enjoy the TV, but...I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. I tried using Chromecast to cast my desktop, which resulted in a beautifully crisp image...and a persistent one-second lag. Steam Link has usually worked okay for me, so I tried connecting my tablet to the TV, but that only sorta worked and the extra layers of resolution scaling made the UI totally illegible. So, uh... anyone have an idea for a solution that doesn't require me to find a 50ft HDMI cable?

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Streaming games from PC to TV

I suspect lag will be an issue with pretty much anything, but I admit I haven't looked into this particularly. I'd probably just go with the cable.

At work we use Airtames to connect laptops wirelessly to projectors, but a bit of lag is not as big of an issue for a slideshow as it is for games, so I really can't speak to lag with that product.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Would there be some way to get a remote desktop application running on your TV (something like teamviewer or whatever)? That might result in less lag. I think your best bet would actually be that 50 foot HDMI cable though (though apparently really long HDMI cables do come with some problems as well). A bit of googling also reveals that there is such a thing as wireless HDMI (so using a wrieless connection to transmit your screen from one device to another directly), but those tend to be quite pricey if the article I skimmed was any indication.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Would there be some way to get a remote desktop application running on your TV (something like teamviewer or whatever)? That might result in less lag. I think your best bet would actually be that 50 foot HDMI cable though (though apparently really long HDMI cables do come with some problems as well). A bit of googling also reveals that there is such a thing as wireless HDMI (so using a wrieless connection to transmit your screen from one device to another directly), but those tend to be quite pricey if the article I skimmed was any indication.
    I can tell you with teamviever it will be significantly laggier. Because the signal will be goign via the net. Yes even if you are doing it in your own homenetwork.

The problem is going to be lag regardless of what oy try. There's just no lagless way (I know of) to transfer the signal from the outputport to something transmittable and then back again without it causing lag.

Basically I think you might have to move the computer closer. Or get a 50 foot cable.

Windows 10 computers should be able to cast the screen directly onto compatible screens (Project to Screen) if you hook the tv up to the same network computer is on. I've done it wirelessly from my Surface to a Samsung tv at work for a metting eg. But not sure if it is an effective solution it's probably laggy for gaming too.

This all said the tv itself might just not be good enough to do the gaming on. TVs and computer screen tend to come with subtle differences depending on intended purpose.

Not to mention the computer might not be capable of keeping up with the tv if it has higher resolution then the gfx card can easily do for a game.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-08-14 at 05:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Further to the above, some TVs have settings that need to be changed to enable gaming - I know I need to change some settings on my TV to reduce the lag when using consoles, so I'm wondering if you need to do something for streaming off a PC?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

You can get HDMI cables in lengths up to 5 metres easily, and they work. 50ft (15 metres) might be pushing it, but if you can see your TV from your computer, why do you need 50Ft?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've used 2 different 50ft HDMI cables in 2 different setups with no problems. Never tried to measure lag with them though since they were 'conference' type setups.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The TV shouldn't be an issue; like I said, it worked beautifully apart from the lag. Guess I'll have to measure and see how long a cord I'll need.

Thanks, guys!

STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm glad somebody mentioned it before I needed to. =p

I use this setup for both my gaming in one room and the TV in the living room. I basically use my laptop and an HDMI cable for all my tv needs.

The cables are pretty cheap too, as long as you don't mind replacing them every couple of years. I had a 30 ft. cable I found for $.80 (and yes that decimal is in the right place) on Amazon in 2015 and it was good for about 18 months.