The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Well I just discovered the Zelda Oracle games are on the Nintendo eShop, I've picked up Ages and will get Seasons for a linked game when I've finished because I remember I got the orange one as a kid thinking it was like Pokémon for some reason, because hey it was my first exposure to the series (I was pretty much the only Zelda fan around when growing up, first playing Seasons and then the original and LttP when they came out on GBA, and Twilight Princess on the Wii before I lost access to all Nintendo consoles until a few years ago).

    This makes me incredibly happy, I loved OoS back in the day and didn't think to check because I remember the games not being that well recieved when I looked them up online. So while they aren't as good as LttP (or ALBW, which I'd adore if it wasn't for the 'renting items' mechanic) it's going to be nice going back to something I have incredibly fond memories of.


    In other news, it's going to take about six months before my hair's at a decent length, anybody got tips to making it look good in the in-between period?
    The Oracle games are my first owned Zelda games, and some of my favorites. Straight up just, the best hand held Zeldo's in my opinion, baring things ported from N64 to 3DS.

    I will think of better advice after work but; invest in nice hats.

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

    F
    *sends hugs*
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-21 at 03:03 PM.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

    F
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

    F
    *hugs* yeah that sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The Oracle games are my first owned Zelda games, and some of my favorites. Straight up just, the best hand held Zeldo's in my opinion, baring things ported from N64 to 3DS.
    Going back to them, the controls are incredibly good, much better than I remember them being. The shield being an item just makes sense, the items so far are as intuitive as I remember (got the sword, shield, shovel, seed satchel, and power bracelet so far), but considering how much I played Seasons it's going to take a bit of time not to expect to have the Seed Sliongshot (I hope that's in here) or Roc's Cape on hand. Also need to see if I can find the right horn if they're in the game, I like the swimmy mount the best.

    Nice to see more changes in the overworld compared to Seasons as well, it's looking to be a fun ride.

    I will think of better advice after work but; invest in nice hats.
    I'll need to find a decent hat shop then. I'm thinking a tricorn, a bobble hat for the winter months, a top hat, and the most outlandish feathered hat I can find.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Going back to them, the controls are incredibly good, much better than I remember them being. The shield being an item just makes sense, the items so far are as intuitive as I remember (got the sword, shield, shovel, seed satchel, and power bracelet so far), but considering how much I played Seasons it's going to take a bit of time not to expect to have the Seed Sliongshot (I hope that's in here) or Roc's Cape on hand. Also need to see if I can find the right horn if they're in the game, I like the swimmy mount the best.

    Nice to see more changes in the overworld compared to Seasons as well, it's looking to be a fun ride.

    I'll need to find a decent hat shop then. I'm thinking a tricorn, a bobble hat for the winter months, a top hat, and the most outlandish feathered hat I can find.
    I forget how to get Dimitri's Flute in Ages, sorry. It may be the same way as in Seasons, where you do a silly dance minigame to get it.

    I can say, sadly, the Seed Slingshot is not in Ages. There's something cooler . I'm pretty sure they both have Roc's Cape though. But it has been awhile!

    Yeah, Ages being a past/present scenario leads to a bit more of a dynamic overworld than Season's Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer dynamic, because it's both more and less complicated. Seasons also having an entire secondary overworld due to Subrosia is likely related to this.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-21 at 04:45 PM.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    2D8HP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Spoiler: When the whole tavern is filled with Bards
    Show

    .
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all


    Extended Sig




    PBP's

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Insane Jeenyus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I don't know if I mentioned it here, but my grandfather died a few weeks ago. We weren't particularly close, but...

    F
    So sorry for you. My grandpa and I were very close and I wept off and on for about 2 decades. I was about 26 or so.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

    How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

    Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

    sig thread is here



  7. - Top - End - #307
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I forget how to get Dimitri's Flute in Ages, sorry. It may be the same way as in Seasons, where you do a silly dance minigame to get it.

    I can say, sadly, the Seed Slingshot is not in Ages. There's something cooler . I'm pretty sure they both have Roc's Cape though. But it has been awhile!

    Yeah, Ages being a past/present scenario leads to a bit more of a dynamic overworld than Season's Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer dynamic, because it's both more and less complicated. Seasons also having an entire secondary overworld due to Subrosia is likely related to this.
    I just looked up Dimitri's Flute, apparently you get it via, shop which is good, I remember that mini game (my first encounter with Dimitri wad actually because I went back to see if you could redo that).

    And I'm not sie you can hey cooler than shooting three seeds at once.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Spoiler: When the whole tavern is filled with Bards
    Show

    .
    How's this different to a normal pub?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Teddy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Anyone ever go to eat something while reading, and then realize they devoured the food instantly? I unpeelee a banana just a moment ago, got a text and somehow swallowed the entire banana by the time I unlocked my phone. I'm in public and hoping no one saw.
    I'm the exact opposite. I throw a glance upon the screen and an hour later I realise I still haven't touched my food. So I dutifully shove down a pair of bites, then throw a glance at the screen...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    How's this different to a normal pub?
    Every patron is a man in the age bracket 25-35 with relatively high voices, and there's no barkeep?
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

    Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ALBW, which I'd adore if it wasn't for the 'renting items' mechanic
    Why should this being an option affect your experience? I played the entire game without renting a single item. You only need to rent if you want to play the dungeons out of order.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I just looked up Dimitri's Flute, apparently you get it via, shop which is good, I remember that mini game (my first encounter with Dimitri wad actually because I went back to see if you could redo that).

    And I'm not sie you can hey cooler than shooting three seeds at once.
    In my defense I forgot the Seed Shooter is in Seasons and not Ages. I think Ages has something good for the slingshot upgrade since so much of the game involves using seeds for puzzles... unless I'm thinking about Seasons which was primarily combat based but did at times have puzzles.

    Look I'll have a more concrete answer to this question when I do an LP of the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Why should this being an option affect your experience? I played the entire game without renting a single item. You only need to rent if you want to play the dungeons out of order.
    What he means is that he prefers to find them in dungeons.

    As for myself, I love the item system in A Link Between Worlds, since the item gauge being a thing plus all the items effectively being available at once if you've got the cash means you get to actually experiment with items that you'd tend not to normally. It's one of my favorite things in Zelda, taking my tools and rubbing them against things to find out what works and what doesn't. It's why in Skyward Sword I basically just kinda bopped everything with my beetle friend.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-21 at 06:02 PM.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What he means is that he prefers to find them in dungeons.

    As for myself, I love the item system in A Link Between Worlds, since the item gauge being a thing plus all the items effectively being available at once if you've got the cash means you get to actually experiment with items that you'd tend not to normally. It's one of my favorite things in Zelda, taking my tools and rubbing them against things to find out what works and what doesn't. It's why in Skyward Sword I basically just kinda bopped everything with my beetle friend.
    You just reminded me of the bomb arrows in Link's Awakening, which made me smile.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You just reminded me of the bomb arrows in Link's Awakening, which made me smile.
    Still never as good as path-directed explosive mouse friends from Phantom Hourglass.

    In other news: Looking forwards to tonight, because I'm getting to go see Weird Al live. I'm not normally a concert girl... but I can make an exception in this case.

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Are the words "well" and "actually" monosyllabic?
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Are the words "well" and "actually" monosyllabic?
    "Well" is I believe, actually isn't. At least not how I say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What he means is that he prefers to find them in dungeons.
    I prefer to find them in dungeons. I found them in dungeons. I didn't once rent an item.

    It's a completely optional system, you do not need to use it at all unless you want to break from the more linear sequence of exploration.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I prefer to find them in dungeons. I found them in dungeons. I didn't once rent an item.

    It's a completely optional system, you do not need to use it at all unless you want to break from the more linear sequence of exploration.
    N...

    No.

    A Link Between Worlds does not have that as a function by it's very nature.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    "I'm so bored. I'm watching actual static on TV right now."
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2019-08-21 at 07:47 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground
     
    HalfTangible's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Primus Imperium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    "I'm so bored. I'm watching actual static on TV right now."
    Gee I wonder why you're bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

    Extended Sig

    Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    N...

    No.

    A Link Between Worlds does not have that as a function by it's very nature.
    What are you talking about?

    I finished A Link Between Worlds 100% without renting a single item. Ever.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Gee I wonder why you're bored.
    You do realize that I was being sarcastic right?

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    What are you talking about?

    I finished A Link Between Worlds 100% without renting a single item. Ever.
    Just to be clear:

    Buying counts as renting for the purpose of this discussion, right?

    I've never played it and I don't know who to believe.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-21 at 07:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Just to be clear:

    Buying counts as renting for the purpose of this discussion, right?

    I've never played it and I don't know who to believe.
    Why would buying count as renting?

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Just to be clear:

    Buying counts as renting for the purpose of this discussion, right?

    I've never played it and I don't know who to believe.
    It does not. To beat the game, assuming no glitches to skip things, you need to have all of the rentable items (though not necessarily all at once). Whether you bought or rented it doesn't matter, but each dungeon needs a different rentable item to get in, and no dungeon is optional.

    Renting is cheaper, but you lose the item when you die, and you can't upgrade it. Upgrades are never required but are generally nice to have.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-08-21 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground
     
    HalfTangible's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Primus Imperium
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    You do realize that I was being sarcastic right?
    Yes Bart, as much as I personally dislike the trend of using blue text to denote sarcasm, I am aware of it and I am not colorblind.

    You realize I was being snarky too, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

    Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

    Extended Sig

    Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Yes Bart, as much as I personally dislike the trend of using blue text to denote sarcasm, I am aware of it and I am not colorblind.

    You realize I was being snarky too, right?
    No I didn't realize it thank you very much.

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Still never as good as path-directed explosive mouse friends from Phantom Hourglass.

    In other news: Looking forwards to tonight, because I'm getting to go see Weird Al live. I'm not normally a concert girl... but I can make an exception in this case.
    Fun fact! I've danced onstage with Weird Al during a concert in Montgomery. The meet n greet before didn't happen but we got to get the small one after. Dude is super kind and down to earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I prefer to find them in dungeons. I found them in dungeons. I didn't once rent an item.

    It's a completely optional system, you do not need to use it at all unless you want to break from the more linear sequence of exploration.
    I thought they weren't in dungeons and you had to get them from Ravio?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I thought they weren't in dungeons and you had to get them from Ravio?
    There are items you find, and there are items you can (optionally) rent or buy.

    You've always been able to buy some of the items/item upgrades in Zelda, and some have been ones you find. This is no different, you can just choose to rent if you want.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    There are items you find, and there are items you can (optionally) rent or buy.

    You've always been able to buy some of the items/item upgrades in Zelda, and some have been ones you find. This is no different, you can just choose to rent if you want.
    It's just, I don't remember being able to get the sand rod any other way (or being able to control sand any other way), for example.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Qwertystop's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    There are items you find, and there are items you can (optionally) rent or buy.

    You've always been able to buy some of the items/item upgrades in Zelda, and some have been ones you find. This is no different, you can just choose to rent if you want.
    The difference is, the rentable items in ALBW are of the sort that gives some significant new capability and are required to get past some obstacles. A few games have one or two of those as purchases (the wooden shield and Zora and Goron tunics in OoT, the slingshot in TP), but almost always they're found in dungeons. Purchased items are more often nice-to-haves – a fishing rod, heart container, larger storage capacity for one consumable or another, potions, and so on.

    ALBW has every dungeon (after the first section of the game) focus on the use of a single item, you have to have that item to get in the front door, and all (or nearly all?) of those items are exclusive to Ravio's shop, as far as I know.

    (As a side effect, no dungeon is designed under the assumption of you having any item other than the one you need to have to get in, and all of the rentable items except the Sand Rod are available from the start, so the difficulty curve is pretty flat. Even the dungeon that needs the Sand Rod doesn't assume you have anything else, because even though you needed it earlier, if it was a rental you might have lost it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's just, I don't remember being able to get the sand rod any other way (or being able to control sand any other way), for example.
    The sand rod is given to you as a "rental" (for free), it's taken away at the end of the sequence. You have to rent or buy it after that to continue using it.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •