New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The sand rod is given to you as a "rental" (for free), it's taken away at the end of the sequence. You have to rent or buy it after that to continue using it.
    Ah, forgot about that.

And none of the other items are required at any time? I never knew that. Pretty cool, I gotta say!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #332
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Ok, there is actually one thing I do need to clarify. When I said much earlier that I found the items in dungeons, I meant that I found or purchased all items/item upgrades outright, as both of these are things you do in other Zelda games. However, my statement was not clear on that (buying is obviously not finding), my intent was to mean "not renting". Some people may have taken this to mean that I found items you can only purchase (or rent), which was what my sentence said in a literal sense (thus it was my fault for not being clear), but not what I intended to say.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Why would buying count as renting?
    Because you're not finding it in a dungeon.

EDIT: And, I got ninja'd with an explanation, in which Rawhide stealthily admits that he was ignoring the actual complaint about the game.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-21 at 10:28 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

What are you talking about?

I finished A Link Between Worlds 100% without renting a single item. Ever.
    I-

Ok, there is actually one thing I do need to clarify. When I said much earlier that I found the items in dungeons, I meant that I found or purchased all items/item upgrades outright, as both of these are things you do in other Zelda games. However, my statement was not clear on that (buying is obviously not finding), my intent was to mean "not renting". Some people may have taken this to mean that I found items you can only purchase (or rent), which was what my sentence said in a literal sense (thus it was my fault for not being clear), but not what I intended to say.
    Oh okay, okay. I see the issue now. Glad his was cleared up. Because I was very confused!

For a minute there I thought I'd found myself in a Smooth Shark situation.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Because you're not finding it in a dungeon.

EDIT: And, I got ninja'd with an explanation, in which Rawhide stealthily admits that he was ignoring the actual complaint about the game.
    The complaint was about item rental. Item rental is optional. I never rented an item. You do not have to rent items. How was that ignoring anything?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Why should this being an option affect your experience? I played the entire game without renting a single item. You only need to rent if you want to play the dungeons out of order.
    Renting items is not optional, buying is only available after third dungeon (and even then is incredibly expensive, 800 rupees for bombs!?). But that's not my real complaint with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What he means is that he prefers to find them in dungeons.

As for myself, I love the item system in A Link Between Worlds, since the item gauge being a thing plus all the items effectively being available at once if you've got the cash means you get to actually experiment with items that you'd tend not to normally. It's one of my favorite things in Zelda, taking my tools and rubbing them against things to find out what works and what doesn't. It's why in Skyward Sword I basically just kinda bopped everything with my beetle friend.
    I dislike the resulting lack of structure to the narrative and even more the lack of a difficulty curve. Being unable to assume I have the bow/bombs/hookshot/whatever means the puzzles can't get more complex and start to require more items (not that Zelda was ever great about that), and the lack of structure means the dungeons can't assume your health is slowly increasing as you go along.

I prefer to find them in dungeons. I found them in dungeons. I didn't once rent an item.
    You have to rent the Hammer and helicopterwind rod, as well as the bow if you die during that dungeon. You don't even get the option to buy until after the third dungeon (at which point I immediately bought the bow and am saving up for the bombs).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Fun fact! I've danced onstage with Weird Al during a concert in Montgomery. The meet n greet before didn't happen but we got to get the small one after. Dude is super kind and down to earth.
    Neat! He always seems like he'd be a really chill person to hang around. Certainly was lively on stage, though. And, he was indeed right. You have not heard Dare to be Stupid until you've heard it on a 41 piece Orchestra.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    You have not heard Dare to be Stupid until you've heard it on a 41 piece Orchestra.
    Likewise with Harvey the Wonder Hamster, apparently.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-08-22 at 01:53 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Likewise with Harvey the Wonder Hamster, apparently.
    Indeed. Though, to be fair, I had never heard it, period. So, it was very, very much true.

10. - Top - End - #340

Am dying. Vast amounts of fluids have been exiting me from all possible avenues in great force for two hours now. My body is pain. I am both freezing and burning up. When I die, foment revolution until I am posthumously made Greatest of the Mods. I loved you all.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Am dying. Vast amounts of fluids have been exiting me from all possible avenues in great force for two hours now. My body is pain. I am both freezing and burning up. When I die, foment revolution until I am posthumously made Greatest of the Mods. I loved you all.
    Life is indeed suffering. But, I have confidence that you will pull through! And then your rebellion can be quashed personally.
    (But, in all seriously... get well soon. And may you not be allergic to modship.)

12. - Top - End - #342
    Barbarian in the Playground

DataNinja, I am Jealous of you going to see Weird Al. *Pout*

Pee Lee, I am not the least bit Jealous of your situation. - been there, done that. get well soon
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Be strong and take care of yourself. Then you can lead the revolution in person!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So what you're saying is, you're calling in sick today? You ain't going to work, no way? Oh come on, you didn't really expect to mention illness while discussing Weird Al without somebody making that reference, did you?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Oh Lord I hope that's a joke.

Sad otherwise.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

16. - Top - End - #346

Feel better soon Peelee please don't die.

17. - Top - End - #347

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    So what you're saying is, you're calling in sick today? You ain't going to work, no way?
    I appreciate that. And, for reals, oh lord no I ain't going in. I'm having hard enough time wandering in and out of consciousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Oh Lord I hope that's a joke.

Sad otherwise.
    The embellishment was. Fortunately all fluids are staying where they belong now, but that's the only improvement. Don't get me wrong, it's one hell of an improvement, but I still feel like death.
    Feel better soon Peelee please don't die.
    Thanks! I make no promises.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-22 at 09:32 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

...Fortunately all fluids are staying where they belong now, but that's the only improvement. Don't get me wrong, it's one hell of an improvement, but I still feel like death...

Sad to learn you still feel awful, glad to learn you're getting better.

Here's some pop-punk to cheer you up the words of which were written by a former friend of mine:

(yes I have fallen even deeper into thr clinical nostalgia pool lately, been pretty sad)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ...How's this different to a normal pub?

Well your "pubs" sound awesome then!

Are bars/taverns are more like this (about 4 minutes and 30 seconds in, to the five minute mark)
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #349

Sad to learn you still feel awful, glad to learn you're getting better.

Here's some pop-punk to cheer you up the words of which were written by a former friend of mine:

Both that fact and song are awesome! Hope you feel better.

For me, though, I managed to survive the Death Race and make it home from my mom's just now, so I'm safe and snuggled up in my bed, finally. Probably put something on TV and fall asleep to it and hopefully wake up less dead.

20. - Top - End - #350

A restaurant that is somehow Canadian only that we have up here is Mary Brown's Chicken. It's not super great, it's basically just cheap deep fried chicken. But what has to be mentioned is that they use the chicken deep fryer for everything.

The end result is that their potato wedges, which they call tater tots but are so explicitly not tater tots that I'm ****ing dying looking at them called that, had a vaaguely chicken tender-y coating on the skin.

They're simultaneously the best and worst potato wedges I've ever had. They're disgusliscious.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Well your "pubs" sound awesome then!

Are bars/taverns are more like this (about 4 minutes and 30 seconds in, to the five minute mark)
    A tavern is a pretentious pub.

A bar is a black to get trousered and collect STDs*, not always in that order. A club is essentially a bar++, with a wider range of chemical impairments and intimately transfered infections. So yeah, like that.

* State Transition Diagrams, of course.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-22 at 03:02 PM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #352

PirateCaptain

A club is essentially a bar++, with a wider range of chemical impairments and intimately transfered infections.
    A nightclub is as described. A club is a large building full of old leather chairs where refined men (and in many cases also now women) sit around drinking fine brandy and occasionally asking if anyone has 26 down in the Financial Times crossword (which is hegemony today, by the way).

23. - Top - End - #353

OldWizardGuy

A nightclub is as described. A club is a large building full of old leather chairs where refined men (and in many cases also now women) sit around drinking fine brandy and occasionally asking if anyone has 26 down in the Financial Times crossword (which is hegemony today, by the way).
    And, every once in a very great while, making crazy bets during a discussion, which leads the gentleman in question to rush off in madcap dash to circumnavigate the globe within some impossibly short period of time with their harried valet.
    Last edited by Sermil; 2019-08-22 at 04:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

And, every once in a very great while, making crazy bets during a discussion, which leads the gentleman in question to rush off in madcap dash to circumnavigate the globe within some impossibly short period of time with their harried manservant.
    It's the number six cause of death in the UK, trying to circumnavigate the world in ten minutes and sixteen seconds.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-22 at 04:13 PM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #355

OldWizardGuy

It's the number six cause of death in the UK, trying to circumnavigate the world in ten minutes and sixteen seconds.
    Only to realize that because they crossed the International Date Line going east, they lost a day, meaning they arrived 23 hours 49 minutes and 44 seconds before they left!

No, wait, that doesn't work....

26. - Top - End - #356

A restaurant .. .. .. .. .. They're disgusliscious.
    I sprained my tongue trying to say that word.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

27. - Top - End - #357

Feeling significantly better. Still feel terrible, but I've gone from deaths door with my body doing its level best to dangerously dehydrate me to general fatigue and exhaustion, with a fever. Marked improvement, I say! Plus, discovered Corner Gas is on prime video, so bonus there. Really sad I couldn't play with my baby all day, but I don't want that passing right back to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Life is indeed suffering. But, I have confidence that you will pull through! And then your rebellion can be quashed personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Be strong and take care of yourself. Then you can lead the revolution in person!
    Y'all are really bad at this "posthumous" thing.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Y'all are really bad at this "posthumous" thing.
    No, no, I think you are. On account of still being here.

29. - Top - End - #359

PirateCaptain

The others are of course:
    5. Drowning 69,000 miles below sea level.
    4. Killed by dinosaurs while investigating an Icelandic volcano.
    3. Attempting to reach the moon by being fired from a cannon.
    2. Bankruptcy and starvation after attempting to purchase the North Pole.
    1. Running out of Jules Verne references and dying of embarrassment.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

The others are of course:
    5. Drowning 69,000 miles below sea level.
    That’s not what the title means!

7. Starving to death on a barren Island.
    8. Being killed by Tatars while delivering a message.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.