The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yes, I do feel that that probably does determine a general base level of comfort higher than possibly other combinations of the two. (Though, admittedly, not necessarily.)
    To be fair, it's also a running joke between myself and a friend that everybody likes boobs, but some people pretend not to

    In all seriousness though, I never got the fascination with large chest globes.

    Yeah, that is something that I've noticed tends to happen. At least in my experience. I've certainly heard of different experiences with regard to that. But, because I tend to be a boundary-focused person in general, it means people notice that.
    Yep, it's almost literally by the point I actually enjoy hugging somebody that they stop doing it (exceptions include my ex, and I'm hoping my best friend will eventually get the hint that I want to hug more.) Even in relationships there's apparently no cuddling for this wizard, because I must be kept touch deprived due to not liking people I don't know touch my skin.

    I mean, seriously, I touch a lot of things, I tend to touch things I like an unusually large amount. Is it that hard to believe that I might actually enjoy and find comfort in touching people that I do like? (I mean, some of my friends are touch-averse, and I respect that, but for others they tend to see 'British Autistic' and jump to 'doesn't want touch ever'.)

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I mean, technically that's still an important part of relationships.
    Species is another one to watch out for. Never let an elven druid set you up without first checking the number of legs.

    I'm telling you, can't take a centaur to eat anywhere nice.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground
     
    FinnLassie's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Uusimaa

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Free access to medical facilities and you put it off.... Well, in any event, I hope you don't need to go and it feels better soon.
    I mean it's free to go in but the bill will still come in afterwards. Health care ISN'T free in Finland, but it is UNIVERSAL. It's free for everyone under the age of 18, after that you gotta pay. After your appointments go over a certain sum (depends on your own medical health care area), it's capped and you don't have to pay for following appointments iirc. Never had the cap happen though, and it's A LOT of money to get into that cap. I mean, it's still EXTREMELY cheap compared to the US - my three day hospital visit with all of the xrays and surgical procedure and meds during the stay stuff came under 150 euros, compared to my three hour visit to a US hospital that ended up being about 5000$.

    But for me, it's not cheap, I don't have the money to go to the hospital for every little thing. It's all relative. I'm a disabled student living on benefits that cover my basic costs of living, leaving little room for accidents, getting sick and getting meds that aren't related to my disabilities. I can't afford to have these things happen to me.

    I'm just tired of people thinking health care here is FREE.

    EDIT: I'm just extra frustrated because I'm gonna start tests for my hearing next week and it's not just gonna be limited to one specialist appointment. Hahaha what money!
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2019-08-12 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    lacco36's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Wait, we're not taking about determining the age of something?
    If we are, then look for sharp angles. Like on elbows and knees during walk.

    Other tricks include asking about favourite bands, if they remember last century... and if everything fails, cleave a single leg and count growth rings.

    @AW: I know this sounds rather extreme or even... direct, but have you tried post-hypnotic suggestion? Or just normal suggestion

    EDIT: As someone who lives in a country with the general care being free, it usually comes with a price. You know the triangle cheap-fast-good? Well...
    Last edited by lacco36; 2019-08-12 at 03:29 PM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Yes, that is my name. Feel free to use it.
    Currently GMing:
    Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Kci-Lkttip-Zey-Xim. Obviously.
    At long last I've succeeded in sending Peelee back to the fifth dimension.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Oops.

    The term 'Georgian' officially refers to too many things.
    I blame St. George, who was Patron saint of far too many places. American Georgia and the Georgian poets were both named after British King Georges, who took that name because he's the patron saint of England. Asian Georgia is named after him because he's also your patron saint. Ethiopia and Catalonia have towns named after him, because he's their patron saint. Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I'm almost violently opposed to time travel myself. To many stories with time travel create time loops where people go back in time and create that event or invention or piece of art which deeply inspired them in the future, and I just find such origin stories deeply unsatisfying.
    Whatever you do, don't read Heinlein's All You Zombies. Everyone else, by contrast, is highly encouraged to do so. One of my favourite sci-fi short stories.

    Hmm, I think there might a cultural difference in when people consider it time to seek medical attention between us Nordic countries and you North Americans, if my interaction with people on the Internet contra people I know around me are any indication. I don't know what it would be, though. Maybe a stronger sense of solidarity with society over here making people less willing to "burden the system with their trivialities". After all, just because it's mostly free doesn't mean there's an infinite capacity. Part of the unspoken social contract is recognising when you probably don't need help from the system, and refraining from using it in that case.
    That sounds like the British position to me.
    "Oh, I don't want to be a bother to anyone"
    "Dave, your arm just got cut off"
    "I have another one. I'm sure there are other people in greater need"
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To be fair, it's also a running joke between myself and a friend that everybody likes boobs, but some people pretend not to

    In all seriousness though, I never got the fascination with large chest globes.
    Almost like people have different psychologies.

    Yep, it's almost literally by the point I actually enjoy hugging somebody that they stop doing it (exceptions include my ex, and I'm hoping my best friend will eventually get the hint that I want to hug more.) Even in relationships there's apparently no cuddling for this wizard, because I must be kept touch deprived due to not liking people I don't know touch my skin.
    I don't suppose that you could mention things along the lines of that you "don't mind touch from the people you're close to" to that friend? Because for humans in generals... mind readers are things that they ain't.

    I do understand how that's a difficult subject to broach (and would probably feel awkward in finding an appropriate time), but, hey, if they enjoy physical contact with people, seems fine enough to mention it.

    I mean, seriously, I touch a lot of things, I tend to touch things I like an unusually large amount. Is it that hard to believe that I might actually enjoy and find comfort in touching people that I do like? (I mean, some of my friends are touch-averse, and I respect that, but for others they tend to see 'British Autistic' and jump to 'doesn't want touch ever'.)
    Could be like me. In that they don't really see themselves as being, well, close enough to make that assumption. To make that sort of leap. Always better to err on the side of caution, at least for me. I'd rather think that I'm too distant, than cross a boundary because I think I'm too close compared to where I actually am.

    (One thing in particular that I am very bad with is nicknames or anything like that. I will call you the name you introduce yourself to me as, until you specifically tell me to call you something else. If you introduce yourself as Robert or Samantha, even if everyone else calls you Bob or Sam, I'm not going to assume that I'm close enough to use that sort of diminutive unless you specifically tell me that I can/should call you that.)

    Species is another one to watch out for. Never let an elven druid set you up without first checking the number of legs.

    I'm telling you, can't take a centaur to eat anywhere nice.
    Look, just find a nice robot who's got some modularity. If you hit it off, you've got endless possibilities.

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    lacco36's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I don't suppose that you could mention things along the lines of that you "don't mind touch from the people you're close to" to that friend? Because for humans in generals... mind readers are things that they ain't.

    I do understand how that's a difficult subject to broach (and would probably feel awkward in finding an appropriate time), but, hey, if they enjoy physical contact with people, seems fine enough to mention it.
    Good step is to open with something relatively safe: "It was a horrible day. I could use a hug." Of course, do not use it around people oblivious to certain speech patterns, but high-empathy huggers will jump at the opportunity.

    And if not, repeat the pattern with different context on different day. People tend to notice patterns.

    EDIT/ION: Just got back from swordfighting practice. It's been a long time since I went there, so was pretty nervous, but the people there were great. I'm feeling half dead, came home terribly hungry, but ecstatic. It's been a good day.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2019-08-12 at 03:44 PM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Yes, that is my name. Feel free to use it.
    Currently GMing:
    Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Almost like people have different psychologies.
    Madness!

    I don't suppose that you could mention things along the lines of that you "don't mind touch from the people you're close to" to that friend? Because for humans in generals... mind readers are things that they ain't.

    I do understand how that's a difficult subject to broach (and would probably feel awkward in finding an appropriate time), but, hey, if they enjoy physical contact with people, seems fine enough to mention it.
    By 'hint' I should say 'two direct statements, one saying I feel touch-starved, another saying I enjoy hugging them'. I'm not a complete ejit, only 90% of one.

    Could be like me. In that they don't really see themselves as being, well, close enough to make that assumption. To make that sort of leap. Always better to err on the side of caution, at least for me. I'd rather think that I'm too distant, than cross a boundary because I think I'm too close compared to where I actually am.

    (One thing in particular that I am very bad with is nicknames or anything like that. I will call you the name you introduce yourself to me as, until you specifically tell me to call you something else. If you introduce yourself as Robert or Samantha, even if everyone else calls you Bob or Sam, I'm not going to assume that I'm close enough to use that sort of diminutive unless you specifically tell me that I can/should call you that.)
    God, I wish people would do that. I can tell if people are actually friends by the fact that they call me by my full name instead of the standard diminuitive (Benedict instead of Ben). It's actually interesting, there's about two people I know who have permission to shorten my name, with anybody else then doing it is a major sign that I don't want to become better friends with them because they don't listen to me.

    I introduce myself with my full name, and I will correct people, and they'll still shorten my name. It's annoying because I only give permission in cases of genuine difficulty with my name, and that's an incredibly rare thing. I even specifically got my full name on my name badge at work, and people still insist on shortening it to save a literal second.

    Look, just find a nice robot who's got some modularity. If you hit it off, you've got endless possibilities.
    Unfortunately the last one claimed I was too squishy to do anything with.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    By 'hint' I should say 'two direct statements, one saying I feel touch-starved, another saying I enjoy hugging them'. I'm not a complete ejit, only 90% of one.
    Ah, okay, gotcha. ...even that's, admittedly, not always enough for some people. But, I get it, not wanting to say "Hey, yeah, I'd be totally fine with, and even would want, some more physical contact from you, if you were fine with that." Because... yeah, I know I'd feel super awkward saying that.

    God, I wish people would do that. I can tell if people are actually friends by the fact that they call me by my full name instead of the standard diminuitive (Benedict instead of Ben). It's actually interesting, there's about two people I know who have permission to shorten my name, with anybody else then doing it is a major sign that I don't want to become better friends with them because they don't listen to me.

    I introduce myself with my full name, and I will correct people, and they'll still shorten my name. It's annoying because I only give permission in cases of genuine difficulty with my name, and that's an incredibly rare thing. I even specifically got my full name on my name badge at work, and people still insist on shortening it to save a literal second.
    Ah, well, I'm sorry that people don't respect your wishes in that regard. I know I always try and do my best to make sure that I accommodate people as best as I can. (Though, I do know that I'm occasionally guilty of shortening people's usernames online if they're more than, like, 8 letters and I need to keep referring to the. I am sorry, but I do get a little lazy at times if I'm having to repeatedly having to type out 20+ letter usernames. I feel bad, but when trying to keep up with a realtime conversation and still have a relevant response, sometimes it wins out. )

    Unfortunately the last one claimed I was too squishy to do anything with.
    Oh, yes, I do suppose that's fair. Though, there's nothing wrong with squishy, most of the time, at least. That's why humans are fun, right?

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Comrade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South of Heaven

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I blame St. George, who was Patron saint of far too many places. American Georgia and the Georgian poets were both named after British King Georges, who took that name because he's the patron saint of England. Asian Georgia is named after him because he's also your patron saint. Ethiopia and Catalonia have towns named after him, because he's their patron saint. Etc.
    It's actually an old misconception (promoted by a European traveler who passed through Georgia I think) that the name stems from St. George. He is highly venerated in Georgia, and probably one of two saints who could be called patron saints of the country (the other being St. Nino, whose sermons in the region caused Armenia and Georgia to become the world's first Christian nations), but the English name itself derives from the Persian word for the country, which is Gurjistan-- land of wolves.

    Honestly though, even if St. George was the actual source of the name, I'd probably stick with Gurjistan. Telling people you're from the land of wolves is way more rad than telling people you're from the land of St. George.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    It's actually an old misconception (promoted by a European traveler who passed through Georgia I think) that the name stems from St. George. He is highly venerated in Georgia, and probably one of two saints who could be called patron saints of the country (the other being St. Nino, whose sermons in the region caused Armenia and Georgia to become the world's first Christian nations), but the English name itself derives from the Persian word for the country, which is Gurjistan-- land of wolves.

    Honestly though, even if St. George was the actual source of the name, I'd probably stick with Gurjistan. Telling people you're from the land of wolves is way more rad than telling people you're from the land of St. George.
    This is a very educational thread sometimes.
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I mean it's free to go in but the bill will still come in afterwards. Health care ISN'T free in Finland, but it is UNIVERSAL. It's free for everyone under the age of 18, after that you gotta pay. After your appointments go over a certain sum (depends on your own medical health care area), it's capped and you don't have to pay for following appointments iirc. Never had the cap happen though, and it's A LOT of money to get into that cap. I mean, it's still EXTREMELY cheap compared to the US - my three day hospital visit with all of the xrays and surgical procedure and meds during the stay stuff came under 150 euros, compared to my three hour visit to a US hospital that ended up being about 5000$.

    But for me, it's not cheap, I don't have the money to go to the hospital for every little thing. It's all relative. I'm a disabled student living on benefits that cover my basic costs of living, leaving little room for accidents, getting sick and getting meds that aren't related to my disabilities. I can't afford to have these things happen to me.

    I'm just tired of people thinking health care here is FREE.
    Fair point. Still envious.
    Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    EDIT: As someone who lives in a country with the general care being free, it usually comes with a price. You know the triangle cheap-fast-good? Well...
    Yes, but usually that involves the phrase, "pick two." I took someone to the ER some months back around 4:30 in the afternoon. Around 2 in the morning they got her into an ER room, and got her into a hospital proper room just before noon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    At long last I've succeeded in sending Peelee back to the fifth dimension.
    Nah, for that I'd need to say Eele-heeeey!
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nah, for that I'd need to say Eele-heeeey!
    *Dons comics nerd hat*

    For reasons that were never adequately explained, any third-dimensional being reciting Mxyzptlk's name backwards is sent to the fifth dimension, from which they can return by reciting their own name backwards. Superman once[1] trolled Mxy by travelling to the fifth dimension, ruining his run at a local mayoral election and refusing to say Namrepus. Finally he pretended to slip up, only to not disappear because Superman isn't actually his real name (at the end of the story he returned home by saying Le-Lak). The 60s were weird.

    [1] J. Siegel and M. Weisinger (ed), Action Comics , issue 273, 1961
    NB: While I never mean to offend anybody, sometimes the unfortunate combination of Aspergersism and the inherent difficulty of reading a situation through uninflected text over the internet get in the way of that goal. Please feel free to point out any social faux pas, inappropriate joke timing, etc.

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Insane Jeenyus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's like saying I need to learn underwater basket weaving. I could, but why?
    What about upside down underwater basket weaving? I have a masters in that, working on my PhD. (Piled higher and Deeper)

    In other news, chasing a roadrunner in this weather of the middle south is not advisable. wears the pads off my paws.

    in real life though, every year since 2013 I have gotten severely dehydrated, so this year I have invested in lots of Gatorade Zero... Take care, everyone!


    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Watch 12 Monkeys. The movie, not the lame donkey tv series.
    if you mean the one with Bruce willis, yes - good movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I hope not, I annihilate with that in a burst of hard radiation...
    You mean like a positron contacting an electron? wheeee ! anti-matter is fun!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well I'm trying to cut down my coffee addiction. Today I drink one cup of coffee.
    so did I, then I had another, and another and another!
    Last edited by Insane Jeenyus; 2019-08-12 at 06:28 PM.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

    How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

    Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

    sig thread is here



  14. - Top - End - #104
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    *Dons comics nerd hat*

    For reasons that were never adequately explained, any third-dimensional being reciting Mxyzptlk's name backwards is sent to the fifth dimension, from which they can return by reciting their own name backwards. Superman once[1] trolled Mxy by travelling to the fifth dimension, ruining his run at a local mayoral election and refusing to say Namrepus.
    This is why I love DC over Marvel. The more ridiculous and low-stakes a superhero story can be, the better!
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    *Dons comics nerd hat*

    For reasons that were never adequately explained, any third-dimensional being reciting Mxyzptlk's name backwards is sent to the fifth dimension, from which they can return by reciting their own name backwards. Superman once[1] trolled Mxy by travelling to the fifth dimension, ruining his run at a local mayoral election and refusing to say Namrepus. Finally he pretended to slip up, only to not disappear because Superman isn't actually his real name (at the end of the story he returned home by saying Le-Lak). The 60s were weird.

    [1] J. Siegel and M. Weisinger (ed), Action Comics , issue 273, 1961
    Shouldn't he need to have said Tnek Kralc?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-08-12 at 05:18 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Shouldn't he need to have said Tnek Kralc?
    You mean his alien name?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You mean his alien name?
    No, the name he was raised under and that he never abandonned.

    Spoiler: Then again, maybe both would work
    Show
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Ah, okay, gotcha. ...even that's, admittedly, not always enough for some people. But, I get it, not wanting to say "Hey, yeah, I'd be totally fine with, and even would want, some more physical contact from you, if you were fine with that." Because... yeah, I know I'd feel super awkward saying that.
    Yep. For some reason the only people who can put two and two together ate those with touch issues (where you know what, I won't touch you put of respect unless directly told it's okay. )

    Ah, well, I'm sorry that people don't respect your wishes in that regard. I know I always try and do my best to make sure that I accommodate people as best as I can. (Though, I do know that I'm occasionally guilty of shortening people's usernames online if they're more than, like, 8 letters and I need to keep referring to the. I am sorry, but I do get a little lazy at times if I'm having to repeatedly having to type out 20+ letter usernames. I feel bad, but when trying to keep up with a realtime conversation and still have a relevant response, sometimes it wins out. )
    I have a general rule that you either call somebody by what they tell you, or something completely unrelated. Names cam be heavily tied into somebody's identity, and in many ways I'm more annoyed by diminutives than by nicknames.

    WRT handles, it's interesting. The main reason I prefer my username not to be shortened is clarity, unfortunately the obvious shortenings are rather generic. But at the same time it's not my name, more a self-given nickname, and as such I don't really care when it's shortened.

    Oh, yes, I do suppose that's fair. Though, there's nothing wrong with squishy, most of the time, at least. That's why humans are fun, right?
    I've been told that only humanoids of the XX construction are good squishy, and that things work better if those of XY construction are firm.

    Unfortunately nobody cared to explain why it matters

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    This is why I love DC over Marvel. The more ridiculous and low-stakes a superhero story can be, the better!
    Eh, I tend to find superhero stories only get better as they get lower powered but for higher stakes. More John Constantine (rhymes with Serpentine) than Superman. Tends to drive up conflict, which drives up things being done (I prefer my comedy to come from something funny, like a panel show, so I'm focusing on drama here).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Eh, I tend to find superhero stories only get better as they get lower powered but for higher stakes.
    Imean, that's just normal people if you go far enough. Compare that to a virtual god who starts charging money to save people as a teen? That's one hell of a story!
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show

    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I have a general rule that you either call somebody by what they tell you, or something completely unrelated. Names cam be heavily tied into somebody's identity, and in many ways I'm more annoyed by diminutives than by nicknames.

    WRT handles, it's interesting. The main reason I prefer my username not to be shortened is clarity, unfortunately the obvious shortenings are rather generic. But at the same time it's not my name, more a self-given nickname, and as such I don't really care when it's shortened.
    What, you mean that "Mouswiz" isn't obvious?

    Also... isn't the point of being an anonymous wizard to be generic?

    But, no, I get you on that. It's not quite the same as a name.

    I've been told that only humanoids of the XX construction are good squishy, and that things work better if those of XY construction are firm.

    Unfortunately nobody cared to explain why it matters
    All depends on who you ask, I suppose. I know enough people who complain when humans of any variety are all skin and bones, and lacking squish, as it makes cuddling up with them a lot more uncomfortable.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-08-12 at 06:02 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, the name he was raised under and that he never abandonned.

    Spoiler: Then again, maybe both would work
    Show
    This is one of my favorite things.

    Batman is so ****ing extra. That poor man.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    So who made the watch, and when? seems wrong to me.
    That's the paradoxical thing about the stable time loop.

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Why does "Manuscript draft 3.0" come after "Beta final revision"?

    I don't understand this versioning system.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Why does "Manuscript draft 3.0" come after "Beta final revision"?

    I don't understand this versioning system.
    Same reason that software revisions usually go Alpha (buggy as heck, won't have all the features), Beta (should be feature complete, hopefully less buggy than Alpha) and Release Candidate (feature complete, let's find those last few bugs and iron them out).

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    What, you mean that "Mouswiz" isn't obvious?
    That sounds like the sorcerer of Redwall Abbey

    All depends on who you ask, I suppose. I know enough people who complain when humans of any variety are all skin and bones, and lacking squish, as it makes cuddling up with them a lot more uncomfortable.
    I mean, humans aren't horny enough for. Who wants a flat forehead? Yuk. No, you need something nice and firm you can grab onto.

    Some friends try to tell me I'm too horny, but that's just the way they grew!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Why does "Manuscript draft 3.0" come after "Beta final revision"?

    I don't understand this versioning system.
    Because it was the final revision of 2.X. We're on 3.X now!

    Also, because I'm brimming with confidence.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-13 at 08:13 AM.


    Corvo-Zodi by Cuthalion. I'm not a murderer, I'm a good person! *kills everyone*
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Same reason that software revisions usually go Alpha (buggy as heck, won't have all the features), Beta (should be feature complete, hopefully less buggy than Alpha) and Release Candidate (feature complete, let's find those last few bugs and iron them out).
    Wait, you mean that version numbers have to make some sort of sense, and we can't just call it whatever we like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    That sounds like the sorcerer of Redwall Abbey
    *checks* Ah, book with animals. Yes, yes indeed. I see why you'd think that.

    I mean, humans aren't horny enough for. Who wants a flat forehead? Yuk. No, you need something nice and firm you can grab onto.

    Some friends try to tell me I'm too horny, but that's just the way they grew!
    Well, to each their own, I suppose. Maybe just wear a comedically giant hat to conceal everything?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Because it was the final revision of 2.X. We're on 3.X now!

    Also, because I'm brimming with confidence.
    Oh good, gotta get those roman numerals in, too.

    Also, do brim with confidence. Don't leave room in there for doubt.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Wait, you mean that version numbers have to make some sort of sense, and we can't just call it whatever we like?
    Cupcake ---> Donut ---> Eclair ---> Froyo ---> Gingerbread ---> Honeycomb ---> Ice Cream Sandwich ---> Jelly Bean ---> KitKat ---> Lollipop ---> Marshmallow ---> Nougat ---> Oreo ---> Pie

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Cupcake ---> Donut ---> Eclair ---> Froyo ---> Gingerbread ---> Honeycomb ---> Ice Cream Sandwich ---> Jelly Bean ---> KitKat ---> Lollipop ---> Marshmallow ---> Nougat ---> Oreo ---> Pie
    I'm still pissed that they skipped Smilodon.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Lost in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm still pissed that they skipped Smilodon.
    That's a dessert that starts with a letter between C and P?
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2019-08-13 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •