New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Ninja Sex Party feels like one of those things I would have loved as a kid but as a person now I just cannot stand. Danny Sexparty is a good artist and a relatively decent person overall, but personal grudges and a general just distaste for that kinda comedy means I cannot actually find myself enjoying him.

Which sucks because I feel like I still would enjoy it. I just don't due to dumb silly but ultimately valid reasons.
    Nah, it's all very fair. Heck, even just a person or event is a valid reason for not liking something. I've had media that I associate with accidentally almost breaking a friendship, so, uh, yeah, can't look at anything related to that anymore, even if I really enjoyed it before. And taste is also a thing. You shouldn't force yourself to try and enjoy something that you don't like the taste of, really. It's as true for everything else as it is for food.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Fair. They're secondhand for a reason, though, usually.
    Look, you try affording this stuff on a student budget :smalltongue@

I mean, technically it's two parts... just each of those parts have the immediate family, which involves preliminary visiting, and then the family who shows up just for the dinner part. But, yeah. Last Christmas-y season, with Birthdays (there're two of them in that stretch, one of them mine), and Christmas, and all of that... I ended up with, like, seven family events in ten days. By the end of it I was just done.
    Ah, yep, I feel your pain. Nothing as heavy as that personally, but I feel ya.

Don't worry. It'll be in the last place that you look. I guarantee it.
    In all seriousness, I once spent like twenty minutes as a teen trying to work out why that is.

I might not be very bright
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Look, you try affording this stuff on a student budget :smalltongue@
    Magic ain't cheap, indeed.

In all seriousness, I once spent like twenty minutes as a teen trying to work out why that is.

I might not be very bright
    To be fair, it's not something that's necessarily obvious at first glance. It just feels that way in retrospect.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    ...I'm not sure where this came from, or where you're trying to go with it. But it feels like a place that probably isn't too light and fluffy, and might possibly err towards the political.
    It was a song in the sixties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_(T..._Starr_version
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

So I'm watching Another Life, and I'm annoyed at this idea that you want risk takers for space travel. No, you very much want sensible pragmatic people who won't risk the spaceship to save a few months (which is implied to be within their tollerences).

Also, what's up with all the reactionless drives operating at multiple-gs and not being used for relativistic travel when FTL is impractical. In fact I like relativistic travel, it gets across the vastness of space better to be unable to go back to what you've left. I'm starting to go back to one of my earlier attempts at space opera which tended to have species develop reactionless drives or FTL travel (that was practically capped at approximately 3c, 10c for the 'advanced' species), and rework it to be a better exploration story set on a ship with a roughly 4g reactionless drive. Now I just need to get the time to actually write when I'm not shattered.

EDIT: Quote, huh, what is it good for, absoloutely nothing, say it again
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-14 at 04:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I did web search of myself and found that the The.East Bay Punk Digital Archive had PDF copies of a fanzine from 1988 one of which read;

'Even the normally dour [my name] could be heard exclaiming "I haven't had this much fun since the RAMONES back in 1985 ([my first name] is one of the few members of his generation pos-sessing a sense of history),

an issue from 1989 read:

"Still, there are a few DJs like Mel , Alisa, Last Will, and of course
    [my name] (actually, I don't know if he's still on the air, but his memory will live forever), who are as good as any DJ anywhere. Better, acrually",

plus Tré Cool" of Green Day posted the lyrics of an old song that names me (and yes it really was me the song was referring to amongst others, I was there (ironically, while I had friends who knew Tré I didn't know him and I was friends with Sweet Children/Green Day's original drummer instead. Feel free to call me a "hipster" dagnabbit, in my days that was something you had to earn)!

I told my wife, and she was not impressed.
    I'm impressed! I quite love a rich and intertwined history, be it of people, things or just a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose50 View Post
    War, what is it good for? TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMNET! Say it again!
    I'm trying, but I'm not entirely sure on how to pronounce "ADVANCEMNET". Is it AD-VAN-CEM-NET? Or is it ADVANCE-MNET?

ION:
    Settlers of Catan is perfect fodder and ripe soil for puns. Also, the number 3 has won me a game, and 10 lost me the other. Seriously, in the second game, we had a streak of five 10s in seven rolls. I didn't even have enough resources to trade for the sheep I needed for my third village for several rounds. Meanwhile, my co-players flooded the market with stone.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would read it advance--em-net, with an appalachian accent.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I'm watching Another Life, and I'm annoyed at this idea that you want risk takers for space travel. No, you very much want sensible pragmatic people who won't risk the spaceship to save a few months (which is implied to be within their tolerances).

Also, what's up with all the reaction-less drives operating at multiple-gs and not being used for relativistic travel when FTL is impractical. In fact I like relativistic travel, it gets across the vastness of space better to be unable to go back to what you've left. I'm starting to go back to one of my earlier attempts at space opera which tended to have species develop reaction-less drives or FTL travel (that was practically capped at approximately 3c, 10c for the 'advanced' species), and rework it to be a better exploration story set on a ship with a roughly 4g reactionless drive. Now I just need to get the time to actually write when I'm not shattered.

EDIT: Quote, huh, what is it good for, absolutely nothing, say it again
    [rant]I am watching that too, and not only is the science weak and the character personalities off, as you have pointed out, I would like to say the acting is cold and mechanical. I have done stage drama several times and I would say I know a thing or two. Also the character of Nico is an underrated part for the actress. I remember her from Longmire. The can do better with that actress's skills.

The only paths shown were through or to the clockwise direction. What about over or at an angle? space is 3 D![/rant]

.. .. .. .. .., huh, what is it good for, Technological Advancement, say it again!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Perhaps the dumbest question of my life: What do parliamentary countries call class/school presidents? The public doesn't elect the PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Perhaps the dumbest question of my life: What do parliamentary countries call class/school presidents? The public doesn't elect the PM.
    Because the title has nothing to do with real world political structures, which we will not discuss, and instead reflects the fact that they are an official chosen to preside over a meeting or assembly.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Because the title has nothing to do with real world political structures, which we will not discuss, and instead reflects the fact that they are an official chosen to preside over a meeting or assembly.
    You've made me sad to discover there's no Prime Student.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I feel very calm today because I drink one small cup of coffee and three cups of water at work.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've never actually heard of such a thing in the UK. I think at posh places like Eton you might have a "head boy", but a class president? Nah.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Class President? What's That?

(Then again, the prefects and head boy/girl at my school had little in the way of powers or responsibilities.)

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Class President? What's That?

(Then again, the prefects and head boy/girl at my school had little in the way of powers or responsibilities.)
    Class president is probably pretty similar to the prefect's or head boy except that they are elected by the student body. They don't really have any power the only thing they really do is bring issues to the attention of the principal and maybe pick the theme for some dance or something.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Class president is probably pretty similar to the prefect's or head boy except that they are elected by the student body. They don't really have any power the only thing they really do is bring issues to the attention of the principal and maybe pick the theme for some dance or something.
    More power than the prefects at my school

In all seriousness, I think my school only had prefects and a head boy/girl because it used to be a grammar school, there were like six prefects including head boy and head girl, with head boy and girl technically elected by the students but with a veto held by the teachers. Mostly they seemed to keep the common room in line, because those with issues needed to be brought to the head teacher tended to be on the other campus (yes, there were two campuses, used to be two schools but they merged and split the campuses by years).

Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The main power of the Head Boy/Girl is that they can list being the Head Boy/Girl on their university application.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Is Bumblebee a student of Optimus Prime?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Valedictorian.

Kinda.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    The main power of the Head Boy/Girl is that they can list being the Head Boy/Girl on their university application.
    True, their main responsibility is making sure that's still a good thing when the next Head Boy/Girl is applying to uni.

It's like being on the committe in a small (less than twenty person) society, nobody expects you to do a lot running the society because at that point you can pretty much run it via direct democracy*, but at the same time you've got to keep it from going overboard and keep control of the purse strings so it looks good on the next exec's CV.

* Seriously, I was in a society that did this. The main point of exec meetings was to work out all the details.

Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Calling the elected student the princeps would be pretty sci-fi.

22. - Top - End - #172

Calling the elected student the princeps would be pretty sci-fi.
    I hear that and just think ancient Roman empire.

... Which is a plus, far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-15 at 10:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I hear that and just think ancient Roman empire.
    Yeah but a lot of sci-fi uses Roman names In Space!

24. - Top - End - #174

Yeah but a lot of sci-fi uses Roman names In Space!
    One of these days I want to see a space sci fi culture that uses Roman names but also is like, Roman in aesthetic and flavor as well.

Give me laser legionaries please.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

One of these days I want to see a space sci fi culture that uses Roman names but also is like, Roman in aesthetic and flavor as well.

Star Wars is actually pretty close, they just needed to address the enslaved droid issue more and it would be Space Rome. The Rebellion were the wrong heroes the whole time :)

26. - Top - End - #176

There's this new show out, pretty good. I think you'd like it. Space Voyage or something.

27. - Top - End - #177

For the second time this week a client came in to get some stuff done and he brought me hot chocolate.

My man there's a reason your last name is King.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground

I did make up a space-age Roman empire when I was a kid. They were called the Romulans and I was very upset when I heard about Star Trek.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

For the second time this week a client came in to get some stuff done and he brought me hot chocolate.

My man there's a reason your last name is King.
    Nice. Always cool when people do stuff like that. Restores some faith in humanity. ...and clients.

30. - Top - End - #180

He's a wonderfully polite and nice man with a lot of joy in him despite the fact that the government very definitely set his lodge on fire by accident or on purpose. If I was him I'd probably be incredibly pissed off at all times because what the actual ****.

Working in a law office is fun, by the way.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-15 at 01:30 PM.