The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Land of Fate OOC

Geography:
    Azhan - Large capital city at the mouth of a river and east side of the narrow portion of the gulf of Azhan.

Waydah - The river runs from mountains to the east through the desert to the large bay (Bay of Javabod).
    The west of the gulf is a garrison to provide a base of operations for patrols and missions into the Deep (western) Desert, on the west side of the Gulf.
    Javabod Bay has lots of islands with their own little fiefdoms (under control of the grand caliph, less so the farther away they are) and hidey-holes for pirates.

Shaynah - A second large city on the west side of the bay, at the southern tip of the land mass (Dhalla), both to defend it and act as a trading port city for visiting ships, and base of operations for the Navy. Monsoons provide water here to the coast, but to the north is the Deep Desert.

Yamran - Large island off the coast of the port city was an independent country, but recently occupied; many of the sailors and soldiers from the defeated island nation are now pirates and mercenaries.

Small fishing villages on the peninsula on the southeast side of the bay, interior is jungle (south of the mountains, moisture diverted here so plenty of wet) with tribes and pyramids and ritual sacrifice and blood clerics. Mostly left alone because they keep to themselves and nobody wants to end up a ritual sacrifice, and the cost of pacifying and civilizing them is too high, and would take a third priority after the desert nomads and the pirates.

Eastern Desert has several minor towns and villages built around oases, with the rest of the people moving around as founts of water appear or dry up.
    Mihag Mountains - There are gems and metals to be mined farther north in the mountains, and then transported across the desert to the river, and finally to the capital for transport.
    Hofusha - Deep Desert People, hardy and tough, nobody really knows how they survive, or where they live.
    Al-Badia - Nomads who populate the Eastern Desert
    Al-Hadar - City People
    Agdhal Tahid - Jungle people
    Al Khalij - Island People / Boat People

Overland Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Culture:

Notable Power Structures:
    Genies & Elementals - Djinn & Marid, Dao & Efreeti
    Human Civilization
    Nomadic Desert Tribes
    Free Sea People / Pirates
    Local government on defeated island nation

Island nations within the bay and nearby, some within the purview of the Empire and some allied and some independent / hostile:

Masons, Sea Shipping, Land Shipping, Bardic/Musical, Artisan (plays and artwork), Various Temples/faiths.

Important NPCs:
    Government Officials
    - grand caliph
    - ministers - heads of:
    army - Zayed
    cavalry - Roda
    navy - Khail
    magicians - Murooj
    education - Al-Wasi
    transportation - Salman
    law enforcement - Al-Nasr

Emir of Shaynah - Bin-Hadiqa

Head of Delegations from Djinn races
    Djinn
    Marid

Leaders of hostile Genies:
    Dao
    Efreet

Religious leaders
    Satwah -
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-08 at 09:00 AM.
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Land of Fate OOC

Non Inventory Assets/Issues:

Current Objectives:

The Story So Far:
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Very much looking forward to both the world building and the game that ensues.

This is, at present, a placeholder post for my character sheet and background.

Background:
    Spoiler
    Show

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

Khalid Ibn Anwar is an air genasi, a grandson of a Djinn noble of the elemental planes. His grandfather was a powerful cleric, and mentored the young human halfbreed grandson, seeing him as a useful tool for his people in their dealings with the humans of the Prime Material Plane.
    As a young man, he was sent as a junior assistant in the entourage of the elemental delegation to the lands of Zakhara. He has worked his way up in the ranks of the delegation over the last twenty years, and is now quite senior.
    He is not exactly a spy as such, but he gathers intelligence for the use of the Djinn ambassador in his dealings with the humans. This requires that he travel a great deal, which he would do anyway, for the reason listed below, which provides him with a good cover for his intelligence gathering activities.
    The intelligence service of the Caliph is aware that he gathers information, and allows it, since it is not used to prepare for war between the elementals and humans.
    He is famed not only for his mastery of elemental magic, which is quite impressive for one of his age, but is also infamous for his failure to save the last Grand Caliph. He learned of a plot against him, but was too late to save him from an attack by a Dao noble, who had infiltrated the city of Golden Huzuz openly, then during a meeting with the Caliph, killed him.
    Khalidís life was only saved by the fact that he killed the Dao murderer, but even then, he was under great suspicion as to being involved in the assassination, since he was also an elemental. It took a direct intervention of the new Grand Caliph, son of the former, to save his life. Despite this, he still feels the need to travel a lot, since when people learn of his presence they can become hostile.
    He is famed as being not only present moments after the Caliph was killed, he has developed a reputation for failure. This has mostly been due to Fate dictating poor timing. He always seems to arrive moments too late to prevent bad things happening. He has arrived minutes or even seconds after a necromancer raised an army of zombies, which he had to painstakingly destroy after fighting the necromancer, and he has arrived too late to prevent the slaughter of a military patrol he was trying to rescue with his main force. Although he is not blamed, but instead it is blamed on Fate, he is infamous enough that his nickname is The Accursed. This is usually said more in pity than anger, however.
    He is one of the Al-Hadhar, the stationary city dwellers of Zakhara, as opposed to the nomadic Al-Badia people. This is the main distinction between the people of this land, rather than being divided into rich and poor, or divided by race.
    Khalid is a reasonably handsome man, mostly due to his exoticism. He wears noble clothing, as is appropriate to the grandson of a powerful elemental noble, and as a member of the elemental embassy. He looks human, being just a little taller than most humans. His skin is slightly blue, though at a distance he just looks pale. His hair is constantly tousled and moving even if there is no actual breeze. And his eyes are a startling lightning-like electric blue, which attracts people.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

Khalid wants to remove the stain on his reputation by being in time to prevent the next major catastrophe. Although he desperately doesnít want bad things to happen, when they inevitably do, he wants to be the one to get there in time to prevent it or save the day. He is sick of having to clean up after bad things happen that he is not in time to prevent.
    He also would like to gather enough personal power and authority that he can be promoted to the title of Ambassador of the Elemental Planes. This will be challenged for two reasons. One is that he is a halfbreed genasi, and the other reason is the next point below.
    As a player, I want him to learn that the Dao assassin was actually sent by Khalidís own grandfather, the powerful Djinn cleric, Farid. Then he will have to face up to his own honour and compare it to that of his master, his grandfather. He may have to decide to face his grandfather as a murderer of an ally, though it might have helped his own elemental nation.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

He wants to rid himself of the title of The Accursed by any means possible. He has even considered setting up a situation himself, that he could come in and prevent, purely in order to be hailed as a hero. He dismisses such thoughts, but they are always present as an option in his mind. Obviously, he cannot tell anyone about this idea, since it would be both unheroic as well as foolish.
    The second secret is the one listed previously, that his grandfather, Farid, is the one responsible for the murder of the last Grand Caliph. This will truly shake his opinion of politics and his place in the multiverse, since it was actually information that he personally gathered which unwittingly helped his grandfather to arrange the murder.

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

Khalidís grandfather, Farid, is a powerful elemental cleric, serving the god Akadi, the god of air in almost all planes. He is a noble Djinn, and these are usually good aligned. He is actually neutral, verging on evil, since he is devoted to his own ambitions first, the good of the genie-kind and elementals second, and the rights and lives of humans a distant third.
    Jamila is a fellow genasi, though she is a water genasi. She is lawful good in alignment, and is a sorceror. She is the spymaster and intelligence chief for the new Grand Caliph of Golden Huzuz. She is, unlike Khalid, totally devoted to her human side and the needs and lives of humanity and the other mortal races of Huzuz. She is not an enemy, and the two get along with friendship and professional courtesy, but at the end of the day, they work for different sides, and neither can forget it. There is even a touch of romance to the friendship, and the two flirt as well as speak as friends and rivals. They both know that in spite of their attraction to the other, that there would be immense difficulties in two intelligence chiefs of friendly, if rival, nations becoming romantically attached.
    Khalidís own enemy is an unexpected one. It is actually the elemental ambassador to Golden Huzuz himself, the Efreeti noble known as Aziz. He has a chip on his shoulder because he was not born a noble, but rose to the position and power later in life. He hates Khalid because he desires his elemental magical mastery, and resents a half human being derived from the nobility. He is a warrior by training, and has the same aggressive attitude. Which makes him a difficult choice of ambassador, since he is even aggressive when dealing with his human rivals. He is evil in alignment, though his law-chaos aspect varies, so he is probably more neutral evil overall.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

Khalid is haunted by the sight of blood, since whenever he has failed, there have been pools of blood involved. Whether it is the sight of a village killed by the undead hordes of a necromancer, or the pool of blood beneath the body of the former Grand Caliph, it is a sight and smell that he despises. It always makes him slightly paranoid and agitated, no matter how little the amount.
    His nature as an air genasi makes his voice very breathy. He often has to repeat himself, because his voice comes out like a gentle breeze at first, and he must strengthen it consciously to be heard. But when he must, his voice shrieks like a gale. EVen his spellcasting can be difficult to make out, because his voice sounds just like a squalling wind.
    He is an inveterate gossip. He simply canít help himself, he simply has to tell people all sorts of things. However, he is controlled enough that he never spills dangerous secrets, and because his gossiping is well known, he can often get away with placing falsehoods and carefully designed fabrications that will help his cause. It is usually impossible to tell when he is lying and when he is simply spreading true tales that most would prefer kept secret.

Character Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1984714
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-08-17 at 10:06 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Please repost the background you submitted (plus any changes you might have made since) in that 3rd post, thanks.

Any thoughts on what the land we're going to be playing in should look like? I know Zakhara was like a big peninsula, but we can do whatever we want. I'm thinking there would be a few major cities and large swaths of largely unsettled / nomadic deserty land.

Any preferences on power structures (racial, cultural, historical etc) for some built in conflict? I can put some things together, but interested to get your thoughts first.

Any preference on starting level, stat array, etc?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-08-12 at 10:29 AM.
    TC for short

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

I have updated post 3 with my background.

I have been reading a book on the Barbary pirates, which has given me some ideas for the game. In light of that, although it doesn't have to be a peninsula, a primarily desert land mass beside an island-filled sea would be good, since it will allow for corsairs. A few major cities would be ideal, with Golden Huzuz, or an equivalent, as the capital and heart of the Empire. The desert would need to have the occasional oasis, which will allow for fixed areas for some nomadic tribes, and also will allow for both a power centre and base of operations for them.

With regards to the power structure, I can think of five major axes of conflict. First, there are the genies and elementals against the humans. Although many genies, mostly Djinnis and Marid, are friendly to humans, some, like the Dao and Efreeti, are evil and hostile to most humans. This will be primary for my character, as he is a part of the genie embassy, and will be heavily involved in disputes between themselves and the humans, as well as between different genies of the various types and alignments.

Second, there is the ancient conflict between the city dwellers and the nomad tribes. This would be the main conflict for the Empire as a whole. People in the cities are basically perfectly safe at all times within their walls. They just can't leave the city safely. And the tribes would have to be wary, because an army sent from an angry city would be able to destroy entire tribes.

Third, there is the age old dispute between rich and poor. This would be interesting because the rich would own slaves, who would take the work normally done by the poor free labourers in most settings. The poor would be loyal to the distant Grand Caliph, but not so much so towards their lower level lords, who are remote from them in lifestyle, to a greater degree than that of a medieval European knight versus peasant.

Fourth, there can be a dispute between the bureaucratic administration of the Empire and the corsairs, who comprise the effective navy for the Empire, and the jannisary soldiers who are the main army for the Empire. This idea came from the book I am reading. The corsairs and jannisaries were both independent of Imperial control in reality, though in theory they served the Empire. In the cities, especially those distant from the Caliph's capital, they even had final say on all appointments of governors and senior officials. This could create some good complex roleplay situations in trying to work out the truth behind a series of alignment structures.

Fifth, there can be a conflict between the religious followers of Fate and the gods of this land, and the barbarian followers of other gods of the outsider lands. Since trade is common in this land, it would make sense that there are many foreigners. Although foreigners are not hated, their proselytising for their gods, who want to expand their reach, would bring some dispute to the land.

Mechanically, I would like to start at an even level. This is because I will be running a wizard, and they get new spell levels at odd levels. Plus, I have to account for the +1 LA for the genasi race. So an even level would work best. The character is reasonably senior in the embassy, so either level 10 or 12 would make the most sense. I was thinking along the lines of the higher level of the two, but on consideration, there is no real reason why it couldn't be the lower of the two. I will leave the final decision up to you, since I am not focused on a specific spell or item that requires a particular level to get, and since you are the one who will have to come up with balanced encounters for the character.

As far as a stat array, 32 points would work for me, but I don't mind going lower if you prefer. It isn't like there are other characters I need to balance him against, and encounters can always be adjusted for difficulty. I don't want any homebrew, and am planning on making the character a Wizard 5/Elemental Savant X. Elemental Savant is a prestige class from Complete Arcane. It isn't very powerful, but it is very well flavoured for this game and character in particular.

Standard starting wealth would be fine. As a wizard, I usually don't go for much in the way of equipment.

We can make the game gestalt if you want me to be able to cover more bases, but I am not bothered either way about that. My main concept just calls for wizard, so anything else would just be a bonus.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

This is all fine please create a charsheet (myth weavers is fine), start at level 10, WBL and 32 pt buy.

I will update the first few posts when I have some time and then we can put finishing touches on and get started.
    TC for short

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

I have just updated Post 3 with the link to my character sheet. Sorry I took a couple of days. My schedule has been unusually full the last few days, so I lacked time to finish it until tonight.

I think the sheet covers everything. If you are okay with it, I would like to refluff my small air elemental improved familiar into being a sort of mini-djinni in appearance, though retaining the normal stats and abilities. I think it would suit the character better.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2019-08-17 at 10:09 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    I have just updated Post 3 with the link to my character sheet. Sorry I took a couple of days. My schedule has been unusually full the last few days, so I lacked time to finish it until tonight.

I think the sheet covers everything. If you are okay with it, I would like to refluff my small air elemental improved familiar into being a sort of mini-djinni in appearance, though retaining the normal stats and abilities. I think it would suit the character better.
    Fluff like that is fine. I've been swamped as well.
    I think I'm going to have to make use of a random name generator to come up with Zakharan sounding stuff for the names of all these places and organizations and individuals.

Any good reference page for culture and the concept of Fate?
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

You can buy the 2nd Edition book for five dollars from drivethrurpg.com if you are prepared to spend the cash, though it is available for free from various sources if you don't mind that route instead. Otherwise, the best site I can find for the setting is http://hastur.net/abbe/al-qadim/index.html

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You can buy the 2nd Edition book for five dollars from drivethrurpg.com if you are prepared to spend the cash, though it is available for free from various sources if you don't mind that route instead. Otherwise, the best site I can find for the setting is http://hastur.net/abbe/al-qadim/index.html
    There's a lot to read there so will need some time to get through it and figure out what we should incorporate (I'm thinking most of the culture and spiritual stuff, leave the individuals out so we can make our own).
    TC for short

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

I haven't looked at it in any detail, but I assumed it was the site for a specific game. So we can definitely ignore that, and just stick with the general setting material. I can also look through the original books, and copy out the material on specific sections, such as Fate, if you like.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't looked at it in any detail, but I assumed it was the site for a specific game. So we can definitely ignore that, and just stick with the general setting material. I can also look through the original books, and copy out the material on specific sections, such as Fate, if you like.
    I'm sure I can find that much. Take a look at the geography and let me know if all of that sits well (or if it's impossible to decipher, I wrote it quickly).
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

The geography seems to work well for me. It is close enough to that of Istanbul that I can get a good image of it in my mind. It has a variety of environments to work with, for plenty of diverse adventure opportunities.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. I should get some time to flesh a few things out this week, hopefully.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Sounds good. There is no rush, though. I hope for this game to run for the long term, so a slow startup is no issue for me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Check out the overland map. Zoom out to get a better view. Let me know your thoughts.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Looks pretty much as I pictured it. What are the light blue spots in the mountains? Other than that query, it all looks good to me.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Looks pretty much as I pictured it. What are the light blue spots in the mountains? Other than that query, it all looks good to me.
    Those are mines. Gems and metals and ore need to make their way out of the mountains to the bay for shipping and trading.

I will put comments in later once we come up with names for everything.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-08-19 at 10:29 AM.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

I see. That will make things easier, since I assume they would be reasonably well known locations.

As far as names, I discovered a pair of sites that might help you. One is a name generator, the other a place name generator, both for Al Qadim/Middle Eastern type settings.

http://www.rolang.com/archives/335
    https://www.fantasynamegenerators.co...town-names.php

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Been busy, will hopefully be able to get back to this Monday
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

There is no rush. These things happen. I won't be going anywhere.