The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Choose your own Adventure

I've been working on a CYOA book.
    I've been looking at others and they all seem to be written for younger kids.

If there were a gritty, bloody, PG-13/R rated D&D CYOA, would you read it as an adult?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Choose your own Adventure

Have you ever heard of the Lone Wolf books? That sounds a bit like what you're talking about. The author made them freely available to download here if you want to give them a try. They're a bit of a cult classic, but they sound like what you've got in mind. There are some other series like Fighting Fantasy or Fabled Lands too. You have stats and abilities for your character in addition to forking decision paths.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkarts View Post
    I've been working on a CYOA book.
    I've been looking at others and they all seem to be written for younger kids.

If there were a gritty, bloody, PG-13/R rated D&D CYOA, would you read it as an adult?
    I've always felt that CYOA's in this day and age would be better off being visual novels, which would bring them closer to being games, which is what they're kinda-sorta trying to do anyways. And yes, I'd play a good one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I've always felt that CYOA's in this day and age would be better off being visual novels, which would bring them closer to being games, which is what they're kinda-sorta trying to do anyways. And yes, I'd play a good one.
    I'm thinking it could be printed in a book form but also in a digital form where each decision is just a hyperlink to that chapter.
    Maybe some art as a chapter header, but still very much a book.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've played Fabled Lands, which is basically as you describe (albeit with some dice involving probabilistic instead of chosen decision points, along with some other very clever quirks), so generally yes. I'd read a CYoA aimed at an older audience.

That said, the phrase "gritty, bloody, PG-13/R rated D&D CYOA" is a major turnoff. It sounds like pointlessly edgy gore in a discount knockoff fantasy setting. My immediate impression from that is a work both juvenile and staggeringly uninspired, and if I wanted that I'd read the Forgotten Realms novels or something.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep in mind that you cannot call your book a Choose your own Adventure; that term is copyrighted.