New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy: Chaos Crystal [IC]

Moowgli tries his earthen footwork again, bringing himself to the same height as his companions and gliding the mound forward to stay dry. He looks briefly puzzled. "Kuupo."

I had a troubling dream, in which I was an unhappy human. Blessed be the awakening, for the dream has passed.

The plight of these villagers does concern me, however. This does not fit the profile of any monster attack I've heard of.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

I am doing good, I wish I felt this good in my old body. If you see any vines let me know, I could weave some sleeping mats. You may call me Three Claw, I am a warrior. the big bear creature said as he trodded through the muck, with his spear and shield at the ready.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-08-21 at 06:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Moowgli finds he can't mold the earth fast enough to keep up with a walking pace.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

An unhappy human... I guess he would rather just be Moowgli now...

It seems wrong, but Deshy's hardly in a place to address it. At least it confirms that everyone is having a similar experience.

"Well, hopefully we won't need to set up camp before we find Priya. My boots are soaked through as it is," she says as she extricates her foot from another mudpuddle and tries to keep her balance on comparatively safe tree roots. "I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well in real life."

D'Shi winces at the thought of her life not being real, but plays it off by brushing an invisible gnat from her face.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"As well as can be expected." Hasi ducks under a low branch seemingly still a little shocked by his height. "At least this is familiar. Gotta spread the encounters. It helps immerse new players or something. Although... maybe not necessary in this case." He laughs, though not entirely happily. "Or maybe I'm crazy. Who cares right now. Seems like crazy gets us fed here at the moment."

6. - Top - End - #36

NecromancerGirl

Zyrn listens, a bit concerned. "If all these extra memories are true... what happens when we leave? If this is a game as much as half of me says... then... leaving it could be ripping ourselves apart, nevermin the existential horrifying possibilities. If we get used to this... some part of me says therapy will need to be a major thing later."

Zyrn goes silent, then shakes her head, her ears waving around somewhat as she does so. "I... I can't fully beleive that's even possible. Though I suppose I find myself as curious as ever to see this world that is being talked about."

Zyrn would keep an eye on the time to ensure they had time to look for dry ground before nightfall.
    Last edited by Mai; 2019-08-22 at 04:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

As you talk and travel through the swamp.... you get real tired of traveling through a bunch of swamp. It's very dull and smelly and generally unpleasant. And then all of a sudden it's all of those things except dull as you sense the hostile intent of creatures that have just appeared around you.

Combat Map is live.
    Deshy and Zyrn are at the top of initiative with no monsters between you so either of you can act first.
    The whole map here is difficult terrain unless you swim in the deep water or climb a tree.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-08-22 at 10:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

NecromancerGirl

This was growing to be concerning. This was not good terrain for a fight, yet this is what they found themselves in anyway, as it became clear that the monsters approaching were in a very hostile and aggressive mood. She would turn to watch all those near her, keeping and eye on them. But this mushroom thing was closest, and moving away would not be too smart, so she would target it first. "I'm guessing we are getting a bit closer than they'd like us to. I'd be sorry, but frankly they started this, and wouldn't understand me anyway." Zyrn says, seemingly to herself due to the softer voice. She says this in Sylvan, seemingly out of habbit.

(1d20+3)[8]
    (1d10-3)[-2]

Spoiler: combat round actions:
    Show

I used a bonus action to observe all the monsters in range, and an attack action. I rolled damage at the same time because that seemed obvious.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

"Watch out behind you!"

Not terribly interested in being surrounded, Deshy moves into position to shoot at the lizard clambering around the tree behind her. Her boots make an unpleasant shlorp as she pulls them from the mud and splashes them into the water, but she can move just enough to line up the shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving up to Q17 and shooting at L2 with Warding Arrow

Bow: (1d20+5)[10]
    Arrow: (1d4+2)[5]

I think we're supposed have some kind of spell to go with that, right...?
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-08-23 at 06:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Deshy's arrow skewers the lizard. Somewhat surprisingly the arrow doesn't break.

One of the spiders moves from its perch on a tree and onto Hisu, biting her. It hurts a bit, but could have been worse.
    An octopus takes Zyrn by surprises as it darts forwards, latches a tentacle around her in a not so gentle hug, and begins dragging her into the water. The strange mushroom-man creature moves out of the water and into the shade of the trees behind Zyrn and tries to punch at her, but is as thrown off by the octopi's attack as she was.
    Like the spider, a lizard leaps from a tree and onto Moowgli, but the moogle easily fends it off.

Spoiler
    Show

Deshy killed Lizard 2.
    Since doctor didn't roll for the arrow breakage, I did. It didn't break.

Spider 1 moves from V17 to W16 and bites Hisu. Dealing 1 piercing damage. Hisu passes a Con save and doesn't take poison damage.

Octopus 2 moves from R10 to R14 and grabs Zyrn with a tentacle dealing 1 bludgeoning damage and grappling her (escape DC 10). Then it moves from R14 to R13, dragging Zyrn with it from R15 to R14.

Lizard 1 moves from P14 to R16 and bites at Moowgli, but misses.

Myconid Sprout moves from S14 to R15 and punches at Zyrn, but misses.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-08-23 at 07:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hasi yelps in surprise as the spider lands on him, swatting at it half instinctively with his whip. "Damn swamp. Damn spiders. Why is there an octopus. No. Wait. There's two of them."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Whip attack. I couldn't find any specific rules that applied to this situation
    (1d20+5)[6]
    (1d4+1)[5]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Hasi hits the spider straight on with his whip. And somehow it breaks. The whip, not the spider. How is this possible? Who knows? How is a spider laughing possible? Again, who knows?

Meanwhile the glowing dog sized beetle bites at Three Claw, who easily evades its chomping mandibles.

Spoiler
    Show

Giant Fire Beetle bites at Three Claw and misses.

13. - Top - End - #43

Moowgli gracefully dodges the lizard's bite, takes to the air and spits out a clipped "Kupo!". Fire springs to life around the lizard.
    Wanderer, dancer and warrior!

Show

Moowgli moves 5 ft directly up (still in reach, so no AOO) and casts Create Bonfire on the lizard that was formerly in his square.

Dex save DC 13
    Damage: (1d8-2)[2]
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2019-08-23 at 08:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

The lizard tries to claw at Moowgli as it falls off, but that doesn't do anything much, and then it falls into the bonfire and dies.

While that happens a vulture swoops in from far out of right field swamp and pecks at Three Claw.

At the same time a quipper, a vicious fish, smells blood and darts over to Hisu and bites him.

Spoiler
    Show

Lizard 1 failed it's save and died.

Vulture 1 moves from AI7 to X15 and Beaks Three Claw for 1 piercing damage.

Quipper 1 moves from Z19 to W16 and Bites Hisu for 1 piercing damage.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2019-08-23 at 08:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Three Claw moves to engage vulture, striking with all his new found strength, only to plunge it into the ground and snapping the blade off.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    see attack in ooc thread natural one
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-08-24 at 12:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

A quipper and an octopus try to tag-team Deshy. She evades the tentacles but not the biting teeth.

A brave and foolish spider circles around a tree and tries to leap onto Moowgli... but falls short and falls into the bonfire. There is a very faint pop.

Another vulture joins the frey and viciously pecks Hasi several times.

Spoiler
    Show

Quipper 2 moves from T23 to Q17 and bites Deshy for 1 piercing damage.

Octopus 1 moves from M16 to P17 and misses Deshy.

Spider 2 moves from P15 to R16, trying to jump onto Moowgli. Jump fails and it lands in the bonfire. Fails its Dex save and dies.

Vulture 2 moves from AK22 to W17 and Beaks Hasi for 4 piercing damage.

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGirl

Zyrn misses the mushroom thing, and, after hearing a splash, turns to get caught by some big octopus thing, a creature she had no experience with. What the heck is that thing? Her upper thigh and pelvis flashed with pain as it grabbed her ans began pulling her. She would say something that sounded like a lighthearted almost curse in giant, and adjust the grip of her greatsword. She could struggle to free herself, but it could just grab her again. Best to try and stop this rather than prolong it. And so she would swing her sword at the octopus.

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show

Attack Roll:
    (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage Roll:
    (1d10)[6]
    Critical Roll:
    (1d10)[9]

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Still using the bonus action to observe, as I have no other bonus action use. Then I took the attack action against the octopus. Being grappled prevents movement.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah!"

On instinct, Deshy recoils and splashes back out of the water, shaking the biting fish off of her arm. Thinking perhaps naively that the aquatic animals won't pursue her onto the mud patch, she quickly aims to shoot the myconid off of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[6]
    Crit?:(1d4)[2]
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-08-25 at 01:52 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Deshy avoids a tentacle but not the biting fishy jaws as she moves back onto what we'll generously refer to here as "land". She shoots an arrow at the myconid sprout, snapping off one of its arms but not finishing it off before it can sock Moowgli right in the unmentionables from below.

The spider on Hasi bits him again. It wouldn't be a big deal if he wasn't already hurting pretty bad.

Zyrn is surprised as the octopus grabbing her drags her away from the others and under the water.

Spoiler
    Show

Deshy provokes AoOs from O1 and Q2.

Octopus 1 misses.

Quipper 2 hits for 1 piercing damage.

Myconid Sprout hit, still alive. Deshy's arrow breaks this time.

Spider 1 bites Hasi for 1 piercing damage. Hasi passes a Con save.

Octopus 2 Dashes from R13 to O9Down3 (15 feet) and drags Zyrn along with it. Zyrn now has to hold her breath. She can do so for four minutes. Please note you now operate by Underwater Combat rules.

Myconid Sprout Punches Moowgli for 3 bludgeoning and 3 poison damage.
    Moowgli passes Concentration check for Conjure Bonfire.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"Oh good. More. Oww." Hasi straightens as best he can, making the correct gestures to evoke the only eidolon he has access to. The suddenly flurry of feathers and talons provides enough cover for him to slip awa from his attackers, though it didn't offer much else.

Show
    Action to Evoke Eidolon (Chokobo). Bonus action to Disengage, movement to run away. W16 to R19

Summon Effects: For the next minute, you and up to seven of your allies may Disengage as a bonus action and when an affected creature takes the Dash action, their movement speed for that Dash is 60 feet so long as they are moving away from a hostile creature or no hostile creatures are within sight.
    Additionally the overland movement speed of all affected creatures is doubled for the next hour.
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2019-08-27 at 12:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Moowgli struggles for altitude, tiny wings pumping even as he stomps his foot and waves his staff.

"Kupoo!"

Rejoice, for the earth welcomes you back!

The fungus creature attacking him finds Moowgli suddenly out of reach as a sink hole opens underneath him. Other denizens of the swamp find vines attempting to draw them down into the earth.

Show

Moowgli uses a bonus action to use mold earth to lower his attacker 5 ft so that he is out of reach. He then moves a further 5 ft up. The bonfire goes out.

Moowgli then casts entangle on V1, S1, Q1, V2 (if possible, angling it diagonally so that it does not get Three Claw). Strength save to avoid, DC 13.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The giant fire beetle continues to shine light... and continues biting at Three Claw. This time successfully.

Moowgli's entangling vines capture all the creatures he'd hoped it would.

The vulture still next to Three Claw attempts to bite at him with its beak but is deflected by his shabby armor.

The entangled quipper struggles in vain to free itself.

Spoiler
    Show

Giant Fire Beetle bites Three Claw for 3 slashing damage.

Entangle: V1 fails, V2 fails, S1 fails, Q1 fails.

Vulture 1 Beaks at Three Claw and misses.

Quipper 1 fails to break out of entangle.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Three Claw stabs at the fire beetle with his broken spear.
    Spoiler: attack
    Show
    (1d20+5)[14]

Spoiler: damage
    Show
    [roll]1d4[/roll] plus 6, man never had so much troublerolling damage.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2019-08-27 at 06:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

The giant beetle dies upon Three Claws' spear.

A Quipper left behind by Deshy moves through the newly made water path past the Myconid and to Hasi, biting him.

The octopus that was previously flailing at Deshy follows after her and does so some more.

One of the vultures breaks free of the entangling vines and swoops up into the air above Three Claw.

Spoiler
    Show

Quipper 2 moves from Q17 to T18 and Bites Hasi for 1 piercing damage.

Octopus 1 moves from P17 to Q18 and misses Deshy.

Vulture 2 breaks free from Entangle and moves from W17 to W14 up 50 feet.

25. - Top - End - #55

NecromancerGirl

Zyrn takes a last breath of air, struggling to maintain her ability to fight as the octopus pulls her under. She struggles somewhat, and has to resign herself to a frustrating underwater fight. She swings her greatsword at it desperately as it pulls her under.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[13]
    (1d20+3)[5]

(1d10)[9]

Zyrn attacks and observes as normal.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey! Quit it!"

As Deshy tries to line up another shot, she's briefly distracted by the octopus' continued antics. Thankfully, Chocobo's power seems to make her boots less sticky; she easily hops away from its grip and splashes into the water on the other side of the mud.

Of course, she can also see what the other octopus is doing with Zyrn. This is not good... but she'll be fine. She's too big for one octupus to handle alone. The mushroom guy is still the biggest threat.

With that, she shoots the myconid, hoping to interrupt it as it winds up its next punch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disengage from 18R to 18S as a bonus action

Attack: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]
    Crit?: (1d4)[1]
    26+ breaks the arrow: (1d100)[63]
    Using Warding arrow: On a hit, if the Myconid moves towards Deshy on its turn, it takes 1d4 radiant damage.

Healing Word: (1d4+4)[6]
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-08-28 at 12:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Deshy's arrow fells the myconid spout. The loudest part about this is her arrow breaking since the creature was already standing in water.

In the not so distance a spider struggles to break free of vines holding it in place. A truly ironic circumstance.

The octopus trying to drown Zyrn drags her down to the not-so-deeps and continues to crush her....not very well because its a fraction of her size.

Spoiler
    Show

Myconid Sprout dies. Arrow breaks.

Spider 1 attempt to break entangle and fails.

Octopus 2 drags Zyrn to the bottom (20 feet deep) of the water and Tentacles. Hitting and dealing 1 bludgeoning damage.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hasi's yelps again as the fish nips him, gesturing slightly frantically to complete the appropriate gestures for a fire spell targeting his latest attacker.

Show
    Sacred Flame against the quipper in his space. movement seems a bit arbitrary right now.

Reflex Save, DC 13, no benefits from cover.
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2019-08-28 at 11:28 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The quipper experiences a brief confusing sensation of burning and expires.

30. - Top - End - #60

Moowgli takes 3 pebbles from his bag and blows on them. They begin to glow and he chucks one at the nearest vulture. Moowgli sighs in relieve as he is finally able to use the angles his mind has been obsessing over today.

Show

Moowgli uses a bonus action to cast magic stone. He then throws one of the stones at V2 and climbs a further 5 ft in the air.

Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7] + (if crit) (1d6)[6]