The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    The best part about dating a succubus is that if you get permanently taken out of the game, that just means you have to go to a different setting for your dates. You can just go grab a car and go sightseeing on the highway to hell
    Plane shift's a thing so correct me if I'm wrong they can just travel back whenever they want, Nale is just limited in what he can do.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anyone else read Hel's comment not about Curly, but about the souls? Loki was brought in to distract her from the Council meeting.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Plane shift's a thing so correct me if I'm wrong they can just travel back whenever they want, Nale is just limited in what he can do.
    Honestly Nale *should* be due for some sort of damnation or soul war or whatever goes on in the OotS Evil afterlife to the individual souls (we have a solid idea as to what the demons do, just not much indication concerning the souls themselves) but Sabine would probably take him out of that so they can go...enjoy the scenery.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #154

So, Hel is watching one of her last remaining clerics flee the battle. You can see Curly in her scry-pool

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Anyone else read Hel's comment not about Curly, but about the souls? Loki was brought in to distract her from the Council meeting.
    But why? She's looking at Curly, he doesn't really care about the souls and the transition makes sense.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Cool to see that Logann is someone of importance in Dwarven society. Durkon’s family is definitely anything but typical. I’m glad to see that the OOTS was able to defeat the worm; nice to know they were being useful offscreen while Durkon was saving the day. I wonder if Hilgya is going to do some unlikely heroic work.

I'm hoping the comic ends with a bunch of strips where we get to see like everyone's final fate.
    That would be pretty cool to see.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Can someone explain why the Likeable Deathworm was feeling sleepy? Was that a spell from V or?

That’s the third time she escapes a close encounter in less than a dozen hours and she’s out of allies. ‘Not again’ is the correct response. Any idea where she reformed?
    Perhaps she is going to found "The Reformed Church of Hel" ?
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

8. - Top - End - #158

Honestly Nale *should* be due for some sort of damnation or soul war or whatever goes on in the OotS Evil afterlife to the individual souls (we have a solid idea as to what the demons do, just not much indication concerning the souls themselves) but Sabine would probably take him out of that so they can go...enjoy the scenery.
    We also don't really know where he's going, because of Rich implying he isn't actually Lawful Evil (though the IFCC can pull strings anywhere due to their inter sectionalism of evil).

9. - Top - End - #159

We also don't really know where he's going, because of Rich implying he isn't actually Lawful Evil (though the IFCC can pull strings anywhere due to their inter sectionalism of evil).
    Signs point to Evil, but he could plausibly be Neutral or Chaotic. Probably is honestly.

Still, the IFCC look like reasonable bosses and they don't seem to have too many employees yet (they're slowly making a name for themselves, but they have some ways to go) so letting Sabine have her boyfriend is probably a net win for them. Besides, what's one soul in comparison to the improved efficiency on an employee who will net you thousands?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-14 at 06:29 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

10. - Top - End - #160

Signs point to Evil, but he could plausibly be Neutral or Chaotic. Probably is honestly.

Still, the IFCC look like reasonable bosses and they don't seem to have too many employees yet (they're slowly making a name for themselves, but they have some ways to go) so letting Sabine have her boyfriend is probably a net win for them. Besides, what's one soul in comparison to the improved efficiency on an employee who will net you thousands?
    And Nale always has his uses even as just a spirit.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

On the other hand, the IFCC agreed with Qarr that the Linear Guild was "a bunch of morons" if I remember correctly, so Nale might not be their first choice.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    On the other hand, the IFCC agreed with Qarr that the Linear Guild was "a bunch of morons" if I remember correctly, so Nale might not be their first choice.
    They probably went through several groups that were either too competent or fell victim to random good adventuring parties before they hit upon the Linear Guild. Sabine was sent there to advise/manipulate Nale, though she legitimately fell in love with him (to some extent, but that gets into questions about demonic biology and social constructs the like).

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    It increases the effectiveness of one of your two employees, even if Nale is just about useless and an idiot Sabine has to be useful enough to be one of they first employees (considering she was assigned years ago clearly they had some use for him outside of the Oots, because why would they matter? They probably don't even exist at that point).

14. - Top - End - #164

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    Perhaps she is going to found "The Reformed Church of Hel" ?
    Shower thought time!

This is actually a good moment for Hel to wriggle loose of the bet once and for all, assuming she's smart enough to realize that. The bet which caused this whole mess is still in force. Since Hel came within one round of winning it all this time, the other gods really shouldn't take the chance on her getting lucky again the next time an opportunity like this comes up (and sooner or later it will, a world that lasts for an infinite time is funny like that).

She should offer to be let out of the bet now, in exchange for Curly and the Frontarch going free. If the world ends, she's no worse off--the bet's already lost and she knows it. If the OotS pulls off a win, she gets her church back, and an indefinite time--possibly infinite--before she has to make good on her wager once the next world is created.

20 quatloos says she doesn't realize any of that, however.
    Last edited by Teln; 2019-08-14 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    If the world ends, she's no worse off--the bet's already lost
    We don't actually know what the "winner" of the bet gets, but Hel hasn't lost anything here. Her plan to force a victory has failed, but she can still hope that the situation with Xykon gets bad enough that the gods decide they have to act after all, or that the Snarl breaks free and the gods again decide they need to destroy things quickly before all of reality is consumed. In either circumstance she still gets all those dwarven souls. If the world is saved, and even in that circumstance, she still gets a bunch of dwarven souls naturally as long as the bet continues. The only case where she definitely loses is if the Snarl consumes the world before the gods can act, because she'd get no souls then, and she's clearly received fewer than she expected.
    Last edited by facw; 2019-08-14 at 08:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

There's little to suggest that Hel *can* leave the bet before the world ends.

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    What is Hel planning now? Presumably the “one left” is that last vampire.

She can’t, like, Rita Repulsa her last vampire, can she?
    That would probably be a bad idea as the roof is all that's holding the Sunlight back.

And we all know Rita likes 'em Kaiju sized.

(But also as that's not really in her purview as a Death/Undeath Goddess OR Disease Goddess, I kinda doubt that's the kind of cheat she would throw even if she DID think she could cheat. Also Odin probably forbade that somewhere. Same Idea as Thor. )

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    There’s no time limit to misting right? Because if there isn’t, her reforming means she is going to try to do something.
    Or she's getting panicky and not thinking in terms of optimal behavior.

Vampires are known to let their emotions do that to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Is Captain Brightstone Not-Thad?
    Nope, Not-Thad was dumped on the Plane of infinite Slopes or wherever.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

18. - Top - End - #168

There's little to suggest that Hel *can* leave the bet before the world ends.
    Right. Strictly speaking, when the bet was discussed, they never mentioned any time frame, but knowing what we know now, it seems likely they were supposed to compare their power at the end of the current cycle (given the history, I'm sure all parties assumed this time would end with failure like all the others). Frankly given that Hel seems to think the deal was bad for her (because she didn't expect Thor to warn the dwarves), she might well have already backed out if she were able, and her position doesn't seem to have gotten any stronger. I guess we'll see.

19. - Top - End - #169

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Weeee, are the adiquate, my friends. [bow, bow-bow]
    Weeee'll help out until the ennnnnd.

Weeee, are the adiquate
    Weeee have to practice,
    So no time to hang out,
    With our friends!
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

20. - Top - End - #170

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    but knowing what we know now, it seems likely they were supposed to compare their power at the end of the current cycle.
    I don’t think it was a “wager”, I think it was a good old fashioned informal bet, like you used to do in 3rd grade:

Bo: “Hey Cletus, I bet I can jump this Dodge Charger over a moving train! Hold my beer!”

Cletus: “Ha ha! Let’s see it!”

*smoosh*
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-08-14 at 09:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I don’t think it was a “wager”
    Possibly, but something feels wrong with that. Specifically, if the terms discussed are all there is, then Hel gets more power if she wins, but if she loses, there's nothing there for Thor, all the followers are spread across the rest of the Northern Pantheon, so he only gets a power increase compared to Hel, not compared to the rest of the Pantheon (though perhaps saving the dwarves benefits him more). Frankly the whole bet is a little weird, since from what we know, Thor isn't betting just on his behalf, but on behalf of the entire Pantheon (and possibly all gods, I don't know what happens if a dwarven worshiper of a Southern god dies without honor). I feel like for this really to be a bet between Hel and Thor, there has to be more on the line, because otherwise, it's just a bet between Hel and everyone else.

22. - Top - End - #172

I don’t think it was a “wager”, I think it was a good old fashioned informal bet, like you used to do in 3rd grade:

Bo: “Hey Cletus, I bet I can jump this Dodge Charger over a moving train! Hold my beer!”

Cletus: “Ha ha! Let’s see it!”

*smoosh*
    You REALLY shouldn't be driving Dodge Chargers OR drinking beer in 3rd Grade.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #173
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    Possibly, but something feels wrong with that. Specifically, if the terms discussed are all there is, then Hel gets more power if she wins, but if she loses, there's nothing there for Thor, all the followers are spread across the rest of the Northern Pantheon, so he only gets a power increase compared to Hel, not compared to the rest of the Pantheon (though perhaps saving the dwarves benefits him more). Frankly the whole bet is a little weird, since from what we know, Thor isn't betting just on his behalf, but on behalf of the entire Pantheon (and possibly all gods, I don't know what happens if a dwarven worshiper of a Southern god dies without honor). I feel like for this really to be a bet between Hel and Thor, there has to be more on the line, because otherwise, it's just a bet between Hel and everyone else.
    I agree; that Hel intends to collect winnings from the bet in addition to the souls certainly suggests there's a prize for her to win (almost certainly from Thor).

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it’s too bad she decided to reform right in front of ms. murders mcmurderface.
    I thought perhaps Hilgya might try to convert her, but then I remembered Loki's teachings about the gross ickiness. So Hilgya might torch her. Or she might not care enough to.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    But the fact that Loki says that pretty much tells us - from a story point of view - that it's clearly not over yet.
    Or it's just a punchline. A lot of these comics end in a punchline.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Well at last somebody bothered to put the failcrawler out of its misery.

You know how pathetic it was because the OotS didn't earn a single exp. That's why Belkar couldn't even be sure it was defeated. A collapsing failcrawler is pretty hard to tell from a fullpower one after all, they're both equally useless.

At least one vampire seems to somehow have escaped the durkon's clan anti-mistform mary sue aura. Helspeed brave one. You faced Durkon's Clan and managed to (un)live for some extra time, that is surely be the most badass epic moment in all the worlds that ever existed, not even the Snarl itself would've survived such proximity to the mary suest family that ever mary sued. Now just need to find some other dwarves and presto, new vampire army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

26. - Top - End - #176

*scrubbed*

I for one will miss the Likeable Negative Energy Abomination Worm. Because hey, feelings are tricky things.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2019-08-21 at 09:55 PM.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

d12's schtick is basically unrelenting negativity. One wonders why this comic interests them, given I can't remember a positive comment.

As always, the Ignore List exists if you'd rather not read the posts.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's the real reason why Hel won't give up the wager, even after how far against her it's gotten.

We Gods may have a lot of bad qualities--but we sure ain't quitters.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Uh, knowledge that Ponchella died is exactly the reason why someone might wish she hadn't.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don'"t remember if it's publicly known: is Roy left-handed?