The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 376
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Breccia's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    So...Belkar just inhaled a lot of death worm spores. That can't be good.

  2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    I have mixed feelings about Curly. On the one hand, being a vampire in a dwarven city that is about to sound the alarm about vampires doesn't make me feel good about her chances to survive until dusk, when she might escape. On the other hand, she is smart enough to run. If she can overcome her panic (assuming Hilgya continues not to give a damn), find a smoke-filled room, and hide out, then she might have a chance to escape, perhaps to join with that pair of displacer beasts who similarly knew when to keep away from the protagonists. But Hel might not give her that chance. I think Curly might be let down by her god.

    Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Also, she did actually die in battle sometime in the last 24 hours. Itís been a bad day.
    Curly didn't die in the last 24 hours, her host did.

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LordSith View Post
    I don'"t remember if it's publicly known: is Roy left-handed?
    Iím not saying he isnít, actually I think it would be kinda cool if he was, but this strip does not seem to show such.

    When completing his sword swing, I note royís left arm appears to be fully extended. This would occur if the swing had begun over royís right arm. Traditionally a power swing would come over the shoulder of your dominant arm because it has more force. Roy appears to have his right hand on top of his grip on the handle of his greatsword, traditionally where the dominant hand would be, and finally he sheathes the sword one handed over his right shoulder. This suggests he is right handed for two reasons.

    One, when taking an action that only requires one hand, people normally use the dominant one, and secondly, as I noted a moment ago, in a case where you would need to draw your sword and immediately transition to an attack, you would expect it to be over the dominant shoulder as that would give your starting swing more of a natural motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

    six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AvangionQ's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Gender
    Male

    mad Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Did the giant death worm's spirit just infest the last vampire on the field? Give both the torch ... 🔥🧛🔥
    Last edited by AvangionQ; 2019-08-15 at 02:36 AM.

  6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post
    not not-thad. not-thad not back, not not-thad not see because not-gontor cast not seeing on not not-thad. also, not thad. thad off on journy of self-discovery.

    I'm sure someone could do this better than I.
    Yep. The Giant did.
    But yours is nearly perfect! I enjoyed it, thanks :)

    I thought the fight was very long, since in the first panel of the outside fight, the LDW's aura looks like Belkar was growing a beard (like the beard of the guy trying to poison Hinjo during the battle of AC).

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Well at last somebody bothered to put the failcrawler out of its misery.

    You know how pathetic it was because the OotS didn't earn a single exp. That's why Belkar couldn't even be sure it was defeated. A collapsing failcrawler is pretty hard to tell from a fullpower one after all, they're both equally useless.

    At least one vampire seems to somehow have escaped the durkon's clan anti-mistform mary sue aura. Helspeed brave one. You faced Durkon's Clan and managed to (un)live for some extra time, that is surely be the most badass epic moment in all the worlds that ever existed, not even the Snarl itself would've survived such proximity to the mary suest family that ever mary sued. Now just need to find some other dwarves and presto, new vampire army.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2019-08-15 at 07:32 AM.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    At least one vampire seems to somehow have escaped the durkon's clan anti-mistform mary sue aura.
    No matter how much you say this, it isn't true. People have taken the time to repeatedly explain the facts of the story that conflict with your narrative, and you ignore them and persist. Why don't you read the comic that exists instead of the one you made up in your head to hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Helspeed brave one. You faced Durkon's Clan and managed to (un)live for some extra time, that is surely be the most badass epic moment in all the worlds that ever existed, not even the Snarl itself would've survived such proximity to the mary suest family that ever mary sued. Now just need to find some other dwarves and presto, new vampire army.
    For that matter, if this is your attitude toward the comic, why read it at all? I quit doing things I don't enjoy; I don't dig in and keep doing them, then invent reasons to hate them on top of that.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-08-15 at 03:18 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes it would because that would be disregarding the very rule that stops their ennemies from fireballing their asses right now. The rules that keep you alive are the ones you donít try to work around if you are not a complete imbecile. Again, what purpose would that achieve that couldnít be achieved by sending adventurers after her later?
    Establishing that you can be willing to be "the help", because they don't let people murder you when you're "the help".
    How is that not achieved by sending people at her later? What does breaking the truce brings to the table?



    Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    You allow anyone to kill the people putting on the Godsmoot, you're not going to have another one.
    Now, that's just plainly wrong. The Creed of the Stone is probably not the only non-theistic religion around. And evene if they were or if the others would somehow become magically aware of what happened, any wizard or sorcerer group could fullfill the same role and be just as neutral (if not more). And even if that was not an option, the Churches could agree to send, say two Clerics each, ahead of time to act as Neutral ushers. Or they could just do without ushers since their role seems to be purley decorum (the Moot did not need a Giant cathedral fashioned out of a mountian peak to happen).

    But this doesn't even matter since the last we see of the Priests is one of them proposing they change the rules, strongly implying that attacking the ushers will be outlawed going forward.



    Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    It was secret before the fact. There's no reason for it to be secret after the fact.
    If you hold meetings semi-regularly and you want those meetings to be secret, you don't reveal their existence individually after each is done. That would be asinine.



    Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    And if you think the slaughter of the Order of the Creed is going to be kept secret after the fact, you live in a very interesting world.
    No, I'm pretty sure it is easy to cover up the disappearance of a dozen people who hosted a secret meeting in a world full of dragons, fiends, liches dark lords and armies of Evil.



    Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    "If you kill the hosts of the Godsmoot, everyone else attending will gang up and kill you afterwords" is the kind of rule you have when you want to have people willing to host Fenrir's draped priest.
    Didn't seem to bother the Creed of the Stone, now did it? Because that rule was very much not in place. It will probably be afterwards, but that doesn,'t mean they will apply it retro-actively.


    Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    Durkula didn't care about that, because there wasn't going to be anything after this Godsmoot.
    No, Durkon* did very much care not to transgress any rule because he knew the other Priests would nuke his ass unto Oblivion and back if he stepped on any line, which is why he threatened Wrecan with an accident instead of stomping him.
    Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, but Thog is dead.

    I had already pointed this out in another discussion a while ago: the sole reason why the Giant left Thog's death in a state of flux was to avoid foreshadowing too early that the plot of the book was leading straight to the full demise of the Linear Guild.
    GDGU lampshades that no-one knows wether Thog is alive or not, so I think your Giant's-mind reading machine is malfunctionning.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    GDGU lampshades that no-one knows wether Thog is alive or not, so I think your Giant's-mind reading machine is malfunctionning.
    The rest of your post is long and I mostly agree with it so I'll ignore it, but they did!? Yay!

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The rest of your post is long and I mostly agree with it so I'll ignore it, but they did!? Yay!
    Spoiler: GDGU, well not really, just a bit, it's not important to the actual contents of the book but it is a nice surprise
    Show
    Thog gives us the foreword. Then complains that he doesn't even know igf he is alive or not and concludes "thog schrŲdinger's antagonist!"
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Also, she did actually die in battle sometime in the last 24 hours. Itís been a bad day.
    The vampire isnít the original person itís a separate soul
    'Utķlie'n aurŽ! Aiya EldaliŽ ar AtanatŠri, utķlie'n aurŽ! ďThe day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lůmŽ!" The night is passing!"

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    The vampire isnít the original person itís a separate soul
    She almost certainly remembers it though.

  14. - Top - End - #194
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    The vampire isnít the original person itís a separate soul
    Sure, but Curly**ís ďworse day everĒ was probably the one that started with a terrible haircut, followed by working the night shift in the temple. Oh, and then she was slaughtered by vampires.

    Iím just saying itís probably been a really really bad day for both Curly* and Curly**.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    d12's schtick is basically unrelenting negativity.
    I reckon heís just rooting for the villains. Some people do.

    After all, somebodyís got to be buying all those Kylo Ren action figures.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I reckon heís just rooting for the villains. Some people do.

    After all, somebodyís got to be buying all those Kylo Ren action figures.
    What about the people rooting for a Kylo Rendemption?

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hroĢila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I reckon heís just rooting for the villains. Some people do.

    After all, somebodyís got to be buying all those Kylo Ren action figures.
    That's ridiculous, why would anybody root for the vĖ
    Spoiler
    Show

    Ok, I get it.
    ungelic is us

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground
     
    danielxcutter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Seoul
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Brightstone, eh? That's another thing we know about Logann's mom, then.
    Awesome custom psywar avatar made by Coronalwave. Thanks dude!

    Most of my old signature has been moved to the new extended signature.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Sure, but Curly**ís ďworse day everĒ was probably the one that started with a terrible haircut, followed by working the night shift in the temple. Oh, and then she was slaughtered by vampires.

    Iím just saying itís probably been a really really bad day for both Curly* and Curly**.
    If we are calling the vampire Curly*, and we are calling the original host Curly** (which, by the way, makes no sense, because she would be the alternate for the alternate for herself, which... kinda makes sense, but is confusing as Hel - and that one is a mess of a goddess :-p ), then who is Curly (no asterisk)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I reckon heís just rooting for the villains. Some people do.

    After all, somebodyís got to be buying all those Kylo Ren action figures.
    There's rooting for the vilain... and there's rooting for the whiny self-important egoist character who... wait, are we talking Kylo Ren or Hylgia?
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-08-15 at 09:21 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot View Post
    Iím not saying he isnít, actually I think it would be kinda cool if he was, but this strip does not seem to show such.

    When completing his sword swing, I note royís left arm appears to be fully extended. This would occur if the swing had begun over royís right arm. Traditionally a power swing would come over the shoulder of your dominant arm because it has more force. Roy appears to have his right hand on top of his grip on the handle of his greatsword, traditionally where the dominant hand would be, and finally he sheathes the sword one handed over his right shoulder. This suggests he is right handed for two reasons.

    One, when taking an action that only requires one hand, people normally use the dominant one, and secondly, as I noted a moment ago, in a case where you would need to draw your sword and immediately transition to an attack, you would expect it to be over the dominant shoulder as that would give your starting swing more of a natural motion.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that you use your dominant hand for everything. I'm right-handed, but when it comes to swinging something with both hands (golf club, hockey stick, stuff like that), I suddenly become left-handed.

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that you use your dominant hand for everything. I'm right-handed, but when it comes to swinging something with both hands (golf club, hockey stick, stuff like that), I suddenly become left-handed.
    And that's your super-power
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    And that's your super-power
    They took the dual-handed reverse dominant feat (it has very specific use).

  23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that you use your dominant hand for everything. I'm right-handed, but when it comes to swinging something with both hands (golf club, hockey stick, stuff like that), I suddenly become left-handed.
    I'm mostly left-handed but I use my right hand as dominant in a few situatuions (mostly sports), however I think Roy uses his right hand foremost consistently.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that you use your dominant hand for everything. I'm right-handed, but when it comes to swinging something with both hands (golf club, hockey stick, stuff like that), I suddenly become left-handed.
    My handball coach got furious when he saw my brother signing something. My brother does everything with his left hand! Except for throwing balls. For that he uses his right hand...

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    If we are calling the vampire Curly*, and we are calling the original host Curly**
    I should probably use Curly-1 for pre-vamped Curly, but itís a lot of work to type on a phone.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I should probably use Curly-1 for pre-vamped Curly, but itís a lot of work to type on a phone.
    ylruC?

    Moe?

    Return of the Living Cleric?

    Larry?

    UnCurly?

    Wavy?

    The One Who Died?

    Blue Tunic Cleric?

    The Cleric to be known as Curly?

    The Ending One?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-15 at 10:22 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Curly Prime? Curliving?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    The Giant is a skilled visual artist, among other things. These kinds of details get fudged all the time in movies to make the shot look better.

    Example: The Nazgul are predominantly right-handed, as easily proven by inspection of various scenes. Yet the Nazgul enter the Prancing Pony with their sword in their left hand -- that was a director's choice to give a full and unimpeded view of the length of the sword.

    I would bet a large amount of money that The Giant mulled over which hand to go where and decided he liked left on top better for this particular panel. Clearly Roy usually goes right on top, and he puts away his sword the way a righty would.

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    The Giant is a skilled visual artist, among other things. These kinds of details get fudged all the time in movies to make the shot look better.

    Example: The Nazgul are predominantly right-handed, as easily proven by inspection of various scenes. Yet the Nazgul enter the Prancing Pony with their sword in their left hand -- that was a director's choice to give a full and unimpeded view of the length of the sword.

    I would bet a large amount of money that The Giant mulled over which hand to go where and decided he liked left on top better for this particular panel. Clearly Roy usually goes right on top, and he puts away his sword the way a righty would.
    Roy probably has used a two-handed weapon for long enough to be effectively ambidextrous anyways, even if he doesn't have a fancy mark on his character sheet saying that.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA

    Default Re: OOTS #1175 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    What about the people rooting for a Kylo Rendemption?
    I havenít watched the video, but Iím going to go out on a limb and say those people are wrong.

    Itís the Internet. My odds are pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    There's rooting for the vilain... and there's rooting for the whiny self-important egoist character who... wait, are we talking Kylo Ren or Hylgia?
    The character of Hilgya, played in a pen-and-paper D&D campaign on 8chan by Kylo Ren, as played by Ross Geller.
    Last edited by Fish; 2019-08-15 at 10:38 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •