New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Through the door of Angels

Daruk

"We should at least try," Daruk says. Before actually doing so he assesses the situation to see where the rocks came from, what kind of person this is and he asks the figure: "What happened?"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While Daruk starts talking with the poor soul on the wall, Joshua takes a look to find a pole or something else he can use as a lever.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

"Benedict, can you still sense evil presences?" Crystal asks, covering the entrances to this particular cavern with her bow.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Issarel Clanyr

Alert for danger, the sharp eyes of her people do not fail Issarel. Something is...off about the whole scenario. The figure, and the blocks just don't line up. It is, the kind of set up she herself would have used to slip a quick knife into a gullible soul. Whatever was in the rubble, it wasn't trapped, but perhaps they were...

"Ambush!" Issarel shouts a warning to her companions as she launches an arrow at the person she was just a moment ago rushing to save.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Moving to V14 and loosing an arrow.
    If I miss, I call it a warning.

To Hit: (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage: (1d8)[8] Sneak Attack: (1d6)[5]

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Issarel it is only due to your sharp eyes that you notice the attack before it is about to take place, however the trap by your side remained hidden. At least that is until Daruk stepped on it, uncovering a ten foot deep chasm with the unconscious bodies of four humans.

Spoiler: Daruk
    Show
    As you step forward to aid the poor soul trapped, looking for something to help them you feel the ground beneath you shift and begin to give way just as Issarel comes on your left side calling out ambush.

Spoiler: Reflex DC 20
    Show
    (1d6)[4] fall damage and you are 10ft. down a hole in that square prone.

As Daruk struggles with the trap the "helpless" creature stands, revealing another of those devils you fought earlier. Thankfully this one seems to be a lot slower then his breathen, giving you a chance to recover. The question is however is the rest of the ground safe to walk on, and if not where is it safe?

Spoiler: Important
    Show

Party
    Knocker Devil (Crystal does know what it is so no use hiding the name)

Map

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“It’s another one of those little devil things!” Amara shouted, “Daruk, are you okay?”

She raised her crossbow to her shoulder to loose on it, reloaded, and took a step deeper into the room to make way for the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+4)[24]
    Damage: (1d8)[3]
    Edit : +6 from ooc thread for 9 total damage, assuming ac 20 or less.
    Diagonal 5’ step moving to the back wall.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-11-10 at 10:29 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #307

RangerGuy

"No, I don't--", he almost manages to say before the cry of "ambush!" occurs.

He moves into the room and then declares, "Oh, right. That."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move to T15, not much else to do since he didn't really know what was in there or where to go yet
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-11-11 at 10:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Issarel Clanyr
    "Ambush!"
    Joshua jumps a little when Issarel shouts out. The last thing he would have thought was that the poor soul is a traiter, a devil in disguise.
    So he organizes and rearranges his thoughts and mind and starts to attack the devil straight forward.

Show
    if possible, charge attack (drawing whip as part of the movement)
    To hit: (1d20+8)[20] for (1d6+3)[8] damage
    Charge triggers dreadful wrath: will save DC14 or shaken for 1 minute

Edit: X18 it should be

Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-11-11 at 03:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309

PaladinGuy

Daruk

With a loud metallic crash Daruk lands at the bottom of the pit. "Ouch....yes!" The scraping that follows indicates that the cleric is trying to climb out....

Spoiler: Climb (?)
    Show
    Climb (1d20-4)[8] (no ranks, +2 strength, +6 armour check penalty)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

"Hold on, we can handle this. It's another one of those first devils," Crystal calls to Daruk as she reaches the edge of the pit trap. She shoots an arrow in the direction of the devil floor.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+4)[5] +1pbs -2da
    Damage (1d8+8)[13] +1pbs +4da
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-11-11 at 05:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

As the devil readies to attack all of you Amara lets lose a bolt from her crossbow, catching the creature in its throat, stopping it in its tracks momentarily. All the while Lord Benedict rushes in trying to get in a position to help his allies in the fight to come against the vile creatures of darkness. However it is the heroic stand of Joshua as he lets his whip fly ahead of him, snapping at the perfect moment that deals the fatal blow as the dagger at the end of the whip plunges into the devils chest.

Daruk as you land at the bottom of the hole the sounds of those beneath you begin to grown, no doubt your landing waking them up from whatever sorry state they had been in before. "How long have we been down here? Did the town send you to look for us?" one of the people asks as you try to climb out on your own, however due to the weight of your armor it is to no avail. "We tried that at first to, but that thing would only hit us when we got close to the top. It's no use." Another of the four bodies says.

Show
    Going to assume Crystal doesn't shoot at the dead corpse *my fault for not being able to post sooner*

70exp each

Map

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Amara
    “Does anyone have a rope?” she asked.

She stepped up to the pit.
    “We’ll get you out of there. Can everyone walk?” she asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-11-11 at 11:41 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think Fred can. He has been down here the longest, and well we all kind of fell on him." one of the voices calls up from the pit.

Another voice joins the other, "I think I can with a little help."

A third voice also calls up "No my leg is broken."

However there is no forth voice you note, no doubt from this Fred person.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Me has one, wait a minute. Joshua puts his backpack to the ground and takes out his rope. He's looking for some kind of pillar where he can lay it around, a good stop point(?)

Spoiler
    Show
    Stop point it is what google translater says. I never heard it before, so... you know, a pillar or so where you can lay the rope around to not have the direct force, when eg someone falls down while climbing with a rope...

15. - Top - End - #315

PaladinGuy

Daruk

"Oh.....´scuse me." That´s awkward. Daruk ponders a moment on what was said: "Wait, you mean the cover closes when we try to move out?"

16. - Top - End - #316

RangerGuy

"I'm afraid that rope is one thing I do not have. Though if we can help the poor fellow out, he can ride Sigfried back to town so that he does not further strain his leg."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda rushes in, just in time to see the demon in disguise shot down. She curses in elven under her breath.

"They're disguising themselves now and making traps? By Ehlonna's bow, this is going to be harder than we thought... Benedict, we might end up with a group of survivors by the end of this. I think we should avoid sending them back one by one if we can help it."

Although not the strongest member of the party, Meri makes herself useful when the rope gets set up, helping pull others out of the pit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anchor might be the word you're looking for Fliggl. Usually anchor refers to the thing that stops a ship from moving, but an anchor can be anything that is used to hold something in place.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

RangerGuy

"Indeed. I wasn't suggesting now. It would be unwise to send them off alone."

19. - Top - End - #319

BlackDragon

Issarel Clanyr

Issarel contemplates the encounters so far.

"These fiends are cunning to be sure, so we must be on our guard. That said, it puzzles me that the one I engaged ran from the scythe wielder, it seems that they may not be wholly united, if we can divide them, we should be able to overcome them. "

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

With Joshua taking the rope out of his bag and quickly tying one end of it to one of the support beams of the cave you are sure it will hold, as the other end is dropped into the hole in the ground. Merri and the others grab hold of the rope and begin pulling up those trapped below with ease thanks to the amount of people helping.

However when Daruk asks about the lid closing the man shakes his head. "No that fat thing with horns would hit us with his pick every time we tried to escape while he was making the cover. And well when he did we knew if we moved it he or one of his friends would find us and do it again. They are evil I tell you. They look and act like miners like any of us, but they seem to hate us for some reason." the second voice replies to your inquiry.

When at last Fred and all the other miners are out of the whole a sigh of relief is seen on all of their faces. "We thought we were going to die down there. Thank you." and a few other things are said to the lot of you before the second speaker steps forward, looking badly wounded but able to walk. "Be careful deeper in. We have been working these mines for a long time now and the old timers have always said something lurked in the shadows. We never did see what it was, but it wasn't one of the ones who caught us of guard. It's a lot smarter then they are and no doubt is the one leading them all." he warns you all, before adding that they had a clear understanding of mining and traps involving holes or things collapsing.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“I know you’ve all been through a lot, but if any are well enough and have knowledge of the tunnels and stonework traps you could help us rescue any others trapped and bring the Emperor’s justice to the creatures who did this to you,” Amara said.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy take 10 for 27 persuade someone with knowledge of the mines and traps to act as a guide for us. Failing that, draw us a map of the mines.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #322

RangerGuy

As the information that the devils look like miners, Benedict's eyes once again resume glowing with a holy, white light--the light that had graced them prior to the initial combat. He slowly scans each of the miners to make sure that none might be hidden among them waiting for their moment to strike.

Show
    Cast Detect Evil at will--woo paladin

23. - Top - End - #323

BlackDragon

Issarel Clanyr

Issarel addresses the miner's. "What do you think these devils want? What have they been doing here besides making your lives miserable?"

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Benedict As Amara and Issarel ask the three conscious miners questions you scan them over with your eyes that glow faintly blue and pass over each in turn. Thankfully none of them appear to be evil, and given how they look nothing like the devilish creatures you have slain with the others you are certain they are what they appear to be.

"Well there were no traps set up by us miss so we can't really help you with that." the miner who seems to have the most wits about him replies to the question. Testing his footing and balance he nods before going over to the dead creature and picking up the mining pick it was using to fight you all. "Help me get the others to the mouth of the cave and I will go with you. It's the least I can do to help us find the others." he says a bit shakily, as if he is unsure of himself and doing this, but knowing he is in the best shape out of the four of them to do so. "The name is Timothy by the way."

"Honestly all they have been doing is making our lives miserable until recently. It would often be random sounds of someone working down a tunnel we had closed, or calls for help from a small child or other such things that would grab our attention and make us investigate. Only recently have they become more violent and begun using the mine itself as a trap if you will. It might have something to do with the most recent area we uncovered. A large room with natural formed stone columns. And at the front was a single stone chair carved into the face of the stone." Timothy says before one of the others pipe in.

"Don't forget about the door carved into the stone that doesn't open."

"It doesn't open because it is scratched into the wall. Can't open something that is a picture now can you." Timothy replies before looking back to you all as if waiting to see what was next.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“Thanks Timothy,” Amara said, “I’m Lady Amara. We’ll try to keep you safe.”

“Let’s get everyone back to the entrance where the dwarf and the mining cart are, then we’ll go back in,” Amara said.

She asked the miners to give them a layout of the mine, so they don’t miss anyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    can we fail in the map?

After that, if nobody objects, she would lead the way to the westernmost room (C10) and open the door.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-11-20 at 11:43 PM.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #326

RangerGuy

"Well, good man, I believe that you should show us to that room in good time, then. It may be the source of these problems if they only became violent once it was discovered."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Joshua, while rolling his rope back together, nods once in a while, listening to Timothy. I think we should go to that room, with the carved door

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fliggl View Post
    Joshua, while rolling his rope back together, nods once in a while, listening to Timothy. I think we should go to that room, with the carved door
    “I agree, but we need to make sure we don’t get surrounded,” Amara said, “what if there’s another one of those things in here?”
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

As the group debates on where to go next Timothy draws a crude layout of the mines on the ground ending in a large chamber with what looks like many support columns. "This is where that room is. Over here..." he says indicating to a spot exactly opposite your own, "Is a closed down section of the mine we boarded up when people started to go missing. It goes a lot deeper down into the mine." he explains before pointing to a room roughly in the middle of the map her drew. "This is where most of us would go to take our breaks, or treat any injuries we received while working. It started out as a rich vein of ore, however dried up quickly and we turned it into a room." he explains.

"I hope this helps you all decide what to do. The door is down over here though on the first level of the mine thankfully. Who knows with luck if you can stop all those things we can perhaps try to reopen the other one and start working again. Once me and my friends are better that is."

Map

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

Amara knelt down next to the map.
    “If it’s boarded up I think we can leave it,” she said, “let’s clear the mines of these things, to the door drawing.”
    TC for short