The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 448
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Spoiler: @Joshua before upstairs
    Show
    As you return to the Golden M after buying your new Kukri you notice a rather large group of people sitting at the bar for such an early time, all seeming to be focused around two figures. An older woman that seems to work at the bar, and another in town watch like uniforms, though the colors don't exactly add up to those you have seen those in the town wearing.

    As you ask Cora about someone who could deliver the letter for you she thinks for a moment before answering. "I mean I guess I could, its not something we normally do here, but after my shift is over I could run over to the courier office and have them send your message. Where would I be sending it to and how far?" she asks waiting for the details before nodding her head, explaining to you their standard charge is 2 copper pieces per mile.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I don't think we exactly stated where your parents live/are from only where the base of opperations would be. If I overlooked it that is my fault thats why I simply left it at 2cp/mile instead of an exact price.




    Spoiler: @Benedict
    Show
    As you mention to the man if he were to ever need work and found himself in Caelum your family would gladly hire him he continues to take care of your horses needs. "My place is here with my family, you have a better chance of seeing me go to live with the elves then to Caelum."

    Spoiler: OOC Spot check DC 15
    Show
    At the mention of Caelum, and your families name he seems to stop in his brushing, if only for a single moment before going back to work as if nothing had happened


    With no objections Laelia begins to bring you back to the inn, though stops as you ask her outside the stable what her surname is. "Well yes Lord Benedict it is, though why do you ask?" she says finding your question rather odd to ask it seems as she looks to the inn door as if she were in trouble or something. Was he going to kidnap her, was he looking for someone related to her, she didn't know anything about this stranger and he already knew her last name which she had not even given yet.


    Spoiler: @Everyone minus Lord Benedict who is still outside
    Show
    You all watch as the cat seems to walk over to Merri's hand and sniff it for a moment before looking to the eagle near her. An almost visible shrug can be seen after a moment of it not doubt debating on whether to try and catch the bird or be pet crosses its mind and it ALLOWS itself to be picked up and pet.

    The voice, still coming from behind the last wall of the penthouse, replies, though it doesn't seem to get any closer as it does so. "Someone who has been waiting for seven yet only counts six." replies the voice, sounding firm and gravelly.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    He smiles at her, "A lucky guess, miss. Thank you for showing me to the stables."

    He then walks in through the Inn door and heads to the front desk to check in for his reservation.

    "Pardon me. I am Lord Benedict Shellford IV, and I believe there should be a reservation set aside for me. If you might point me to my room, it would be appreciated. The journey has been long and tiring."

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Spoiler: @Lord Benedict
    Show
    Whether it is for sheer wanting to believe your statement or simply wanting to move past it Laelia seems to accept your answer and move on with life. "Your welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay here." she says as she walks you into the Golden M and points you in the direction of the old woman sitting behind the counter.

    As you go to speak with her you notice a man on the second floor walking around the outer balcony all the way to the left hand side before vanishing from view, the three people from earlier that moved because of your horse still sit in the corner they moved to. Though upon seeing you they do start to grumble a bit more.

    As you make your way to the front desk the older woman introduces herself and begins asking you a few questions which you are able to answer after a short amount of time. "The others are already upstairs waiting for you. Best hurry." she says as you note a half-elf with dirty blonde hair, in the same attire all the waitress's have here, come down the flight of stairs leading to the second story.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    "Thank you very much, ma'am."

    With that, he heads toward the stairs to go upstairs as directed.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thundercracker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Lady Amara

    Amara glanced back as the rider from earlier stepped up behind them and waited for the detective to ask her question when she was struck by something.

    “How did you know there were only six of us here?” she asked the disembodied voice.
    TC for short

    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    "You know for a moment I was sure the voice was coming from the cat," Crystal says, glancing between Amara and the deeper part of the room. She's just about to venture deeper when Lord Shelford appears at the top of the stairs.

    Crystal's eyes widen briefly, and she averts her gaze down and right, adjusting a rogue bang behind her ear as she addresses the newcomer indirectly. "You must be our seventh. I'm Crystal. I'm sorry, but I've asked all the others to identify themselves : have you got your invitation letter with you?"

    In the immediate presence only of identified group members Crystal is a little more open to direct examination of documents.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thundercracker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Amara

    how interesting,” Amara thought to herself as she watched Crystal’s interaction with Lord Benedict, almost like she was a completely different person.
    TC for short

    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    He seems somewhat surprised by the presence of so many in his suite, but since he's here on the instruction of the Emperor he knows better than to question it.

    "Lord Benedict Shellford IV, ma'am. And I do have an invitation on me."

    He makes no move to show it, however.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Crystal's lips tighten slightly at the resistance, and she now looks at Benedict directly, though her tone is still apologetic.

    "I'm sorry Lord Shelford, I'm not trying to be difficult but I came through military intelligence. Anyone can just say 'yes that's right'. I'm mostly sure Madam Iulia will have established your credentials already, but I didn't actually see that, so..."

    "I'm going to have to actually see the seal. Or you could tell me the last word of paragraph one if you prefer and I'll believe that. The first word of the second paragraph is 'Recently' if that helps."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-08-28 at 02:29 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thundercracker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    From farther down the hall, next to one of the doors, Amara watched the exchange, an amused half-grin on her face.
    TC for short

    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Benedict regards Crystal with a cool demeanor, even at the continued questioning. As if his word was not good enough...

    "I believe that I am in the correct place, good lady. I was told there were six others, and I see six others."

    He smiles somewhat, clearly satisfied that he is, in fact, in the correct place and having reached his destination after a long journey, and unfastens the buckle holding the baldric and greatsword to his back. He lowers the sword, point down, to the ground and appears relieved to have lessened some of the weight carried.
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-08-28 at 10:57 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    "Yes, you were told there would be seven by me as you arrived."

    Crystal tenses up further, her voice now expressing frustration. This wasn't at all how she'd wanted this introduction to go.

    "Nor do you really know that we are the six you are expecting. Really Lord Shelford, basic security precautions are everyone's concern." She glances round the rest of the group, clearly appealing for some support.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Meri scratches behind the cat's ears as she listens to the awkward exchange evolving between Crystal and Lord Benedict. Typical human self-appointed arrogance mixed with typical human skepticism. They were not fifty steps into their quest and already butting heads. But of the two of them, Crystal at least had a reason behind her questioning.

    "Benedict, what possible reason could you have for travelling all this way and then not proving you are who you say you are?"
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    "And what possible reason, I would counter, would I have for entrusting that you all are who you say you are. Correct, miss intelligence?"

    He shakes his head slowly, clearly perturbed by the continued questioning. And then, lifts a hand to the pendant of Heironeous hanging around his neck and begins casting a spell.

    Spoiler: Detect Evil
    Show
    Spellcraft DC: 16


    After casting the spell, he looks over each person in the room, nods once, and opens the pouch at his hip. He pulls out a scroll bearing the broken seal of the Emperor and holds it clearly in view of everyone in the room.

    "Sufficient? Or must I also recount the tale of how it was delivered to me by a page boy of perhaps twelve years with brown hair, blue eyes and a mischievous glint to his eyes in order to prove that I didn't simply kill the original bearer of this scroll and take his place?"

    Clearly, the journey's length had taken its toll and his patience was wearing thin.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Joshua was amused of the verbal dispute between the inspector and the knight. Since he grew up upon, he knew how stubborn they could be. And both had a good point, from their view.

    But when the knight started casting some spell, against him, Joshuas sympathy swept over to Wolfe.

    Wait, stop it, what are you doing here? I do not want to be the target of your casting! Joshua protests!

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    spellcraft check vs DC 16 (1d20+6)[24]

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Benedict turns his attention then to Joshua. "Fortunately, then, you aren't. Heironeous blesses me with additional insight, thus I am the target."

    He smiles then. "Besides, your heart is clean. You've little to worry about."

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    As you all finish arguing the black cat jumps out of Meri's arms and walks back to the way it came, behind the wall with a single empty chair visible. The same place the voice has been coming from, that seems to have remained silent as the argument of if someone should be trusted or not was going on. Before vanishing out of sight the cat looks back to all of you, meow's once, and then continues walking, no doubt to its owner, the voice behind the wall.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    The cat leaping out of her arms causes Meri to jump a bit. This conversation was becoming more antagonistic than she cared to deal with.

    Without a word, she follows the cat into the other room.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Really? ...you aren't the target, because I'm the target, 'cause I'm blessed... let me say it politely as I'm able to: this isn't the way adults are talking with each other. And if you hold your necklace in my direction again, I guess I have to take it from you, and put it somewhere, where even Heironeous holy light doesn't shine, ok? Good. No need of anger or the like.

    Look, even the cat wants to continue.

    So, mystery voice behind the corner, are you the one we think you are, the one, who arrenged this all, the one who we should call ... Simply “host“?


  20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thundercracker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Lady Amara

    As the situation quickly began to spiral, Amara withdrew her letter with the broken seal and stepped between the others to stand before Benedict.

    “Good day, Lord Benedict Shelford,” she said with a small curtesy, befitting of a first meeting between equals, “my name is Lady Amara van Tannin of house van Tannin, it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

    She gave him a warm smile.
    “Please excuse Detective Wolfe, she’s doing her duty for the Empire,” she said, “spies and insurgents could be anywhere, and I for one feel safer for her efforts.”

    “It’s been a long journey for everyone,” she said, glancing at the others, “we’re all weary from the road, but with the letter and the light of Hieroneous, I hope we can agree that we are all, in fact true servants of the Empire and his excellency the Emperor.”

    Spoiler
    Show
    playing peacemaker and giving everyone an ic excuse to move forward.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-08-28 at 07:40 PM.
    TC for short

    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Spoiler: @Merri as she is the only one who walked around the corner to the round table area on the map
    Show


    As you follow the black cat into the adjoining room you notice the cat jump up onto the table and walk over to the man sitting on the opposite side of the table, the setting sun giving him an aura like glow. Minus the chair he seems to be seated in there are seven others around this round table, and the older veteran extends his hand offering you to take a seat of your choice.

    Looking over the seated figure it is clear he is old by human standards, though in truth you believe you may have a few years on him given his full head of messy white hair, and thick white beard. Robes akin to those seen on the mages of the Swordwatch empire adorn him, simple in design, but no doubt able to afford him a great deal of protection. And judging by his general build at one point he was no doubt a very real threat to engage in close combat as well as from a distance given the intelligence hiding behind his brown, almost amber like eyes.

    Set on the table is a simple meal, with a few different bottles of what you can easily assume to be liquor in them. Slices of some spiced meat seem to be in the middle of the table as well as cheese, while steaming hot bread is infront of each chair placement, except for his you note as it seems he has already eaten his with his cat he introduces as Nero.

    Reaching a hand out to pet his cat, you note as the cat seems to behave perfectly for him, he begins to pet it gently atop its head before looking back to you. "Figures the elf would not be distracted with infighting and make sure the person in the room with them was not an enemy." he says with respect towards you. "I have always found your kind to do what they believe is right, it is one of the reasons I asked for your name to be put on this list." he explains to you, though you doubt his voice will carry across to the others as he was not projecting it as he had before.


    As the rest of you determine who is friend and foe you note Meri vanish behind the wall with the cat and now hushed voices are talking from their general direction. You could stay here and debate on who or what is trustworthy or you could go and join. "It depends on who you 'think arranged this all. If you are all done squabbling like children come and sit and we can introduce ourselves like proper people. Or we could just continue to question each other, either way myself, Ms. Merienda, and Nero will continue to enjoy ourselves.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-08-29 at 02:07 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Oh, fine... Joshua walks around the corner, takes a seat and waits silently.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2019

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Daruk

    Daruk had witnessed the exchange between the newcomer and the others silently. He had noticed early that the man called Shelford was a knight of his own clerical order. Interesting to see how the others would react to a champion of Heironeous, but also good to learn that apparently his social background made the knight a rather ... uptight variant: Daruk´s heart was much softer.

    Daruk gives Lord Benedict Sheldon a stern, steel and confident stare when he subjects him to his detection magic, surely the paladin must have noticed Daruk´s own garments declaring him a cleric of Heironeous, followed by a short but friendly nod.

    When encouraged to do so, Daruk moves towards the other side of the penthouse, where the voice came from. In passing he makes sure to give Crystal a warm and understanding smile, perhaps as an attempt to apologize for what had happened.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Merienda takes a seat with Calendi gripping onto the chair behind her. She pulls her feet onto the seat as well, such that she's comfortable curled up on the cushion. She takes a small handful of the meat and cheese and holds a bit of sausage out to Calendi, who snaps it up happily. She quietly chews the rest as she listens to the man.

    "Are you someone that Ophelia knows, then?" She asks, figuring it was the only way he could know her specifically.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RCgothic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    "That's sufficient," Crystal confirms, taking a deep breath to settle herself before affecting a friendly smile. "Really, I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot. I can only check what I can corroborate. Come on, let's find out who our host is."

    Thank you she mouths at Merienda and Lady Amara as they pass her by. She takes a seat at the table, curious about what comes next.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-08-30 at 06:17 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thundercracker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "That's sufficient," Crystal confirms, taking a deep breath to settle herself before affecting a friendly smile. "Really, I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot. I can only check what I can corroborate. Come on, let's find out who or host is."

    Thank you she mouths at Merienda and Lady Amara as they pass her by. She takes a seat at the table, curious about what comes next.
    Amara gives Crystal a subtle wink as she passed by but let’s everyone proceed ahead of her unless they motion for her to go first.
    TC for short

    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    As each of you in your own time cross the small divide of the room to the hidden section of the penthouse you notice a large round table made from what appears to be a massive mahogany tree, for the entire thing looks like a solid piece of wood. Each chair is made of the same dark wood, with a deep crimson velvet seat cushions. Seated at the opposite end of the table, with his back to the window and it's setting sun, sits an older man who has seen better days. Scars from countless battles cover parts of his face, and it looks like burn marks cover most of his hands. His stark white hair and thick beard are left mostly untamed, as his amber brown eyes look at each of you as you sit down, tilting his head ever so slightly. His left hand rests on his chairs armrest, while his right is busy petting the black cat from earlier that seems to have decided to sprawl out in front of him, its yellow eyes looking at each of you though it makes no indications it intends to move.

    Placed on the table at each place which holds a seat are small freshly baked breads, while in the center is a dish with slices of a spiced meat and from the looks of it a local cheese. Two bottles, one looking much like Elven Moondrop and the other Dwarven Garnet Wine, sit in the center of the table with a pitcher of water. A simple wooden cup a big contrast compared to the rest of the place so far, sits by each plate of bread waiting to be filled with each patrons choice of beverage.

    When everyone is finally seated the older figure lifts up his cup and drinks from it, no doubt to get his throat ready to answer all the questions he has no doubt you all have. Looking first to Merienda he answers her question, his voice gruff and gravely, though not unkind. "I am someone who knows of Ophelia through a friend, Nathaniel Aradao. He trusts her and thus trusts you. And as an outsider if you are part of a group it is less likely to draw the attention a group of travelers of the empire would." he says turning to see who would ask the next question.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thundercracker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Lady Amara

    Amara took a seat at the table and looked around for a moment, a bit confused. Then she took the moondew wine and poured herself a cup.

    Nobody else asked a question, she spoke up.

    “What information do you have for us about why we’ve been gathered here?” she asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-08-31 at 03:48 AM.
    TC for short

    "I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    Issarel

    Issarel takes a moment at the door before rounding the screen and seeing the man before her. Nonplussed, she pours another glass of Moondrop and introduces herself with a slight nod and dip of courtesy, "Issarel Clanyr" she says simply and sits lightly in a seat, regarding the man and taking in his words with serious interest.

    Here it begins, one step closer to The Enchanter, and revenge. She thinks to herself.

    Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Listen check at the door to make sure we are not being eavesdropped on.
    Listen: (1d20+8)[12]

    Knowledge (Nobility) to recognize this rather distinctive gentleman: (1d20+4)[16]

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Through the door of Angels

    A lot of questions come to his mind, but Joshua waits silently and still on his chair, listening to the others.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •