New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Through the door of Angels

Daruk

Daruk briefly and politely introduced himself to the old man: "Daruk Stonesplitter". He sat down without taking any of the drink or food. He actually had many questions, and the feeling that some of the group were better informed than he was. The young lady asked a rather good and relevant question, so instead of adding a question of his own he decided to produce an acknowledging grunt, supporting Amara´s question.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal sits between Amara and Daruk, helping herself to a fresh bread roll, though not any alcohol yet. She nods towards Amara in agreement as she spreads butter onto the steaming roll. "And why us?" she adds.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-09-08 at 05:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

"Besides their appears to be a cult going by the name of the Disciples of Ryl who are at least mildly skilled in the arcane arts? I can tell you that from the few people I have seen dead that it seems the work of some kind of summoned creature most of the time, so if I had to guess our enemies are conjurist of some kind. The acid and burn marks as well as claws could come from a dragon as well however so the possibility of this being aided, at least subtly by Kurast has not escaped the notice of our intelligence.

As for solid leads however, we have very few at the moment, this is one of the reasons outside help was looked into as a best outcome to resolve this. We know of the cult, however how the members tell themselves apart, where they meet, or what their end goals are besides magical freedom is unknown to us. And as an Arcanist myself I can say without the proper training a mage is very dangerous, meaning granting freedom to all of them to do as they wished would end in ruin for the empire."
    Agimaex explains patiently, stopping in between to take a sip from his cup before continuing.

"As for why the seven of you are here, I thought that would be obvious given the letters, and after seeing each other if it had not been it would become clear. None of you, well besides Detective Wolfe and Daruk look like anyone who has ties to the crown. Take yourself for instance. Noble's daughter who has lived in the capital all of her life never able to explore the world on her own without having to dodge her guards, and even then being recognized easily in the capital running of to the nearest town to finally get a taste of freedom. Or at least that is what it will appear like to those who know who you really are, and to those who do not there is nothing about you that jumps out besides your auburn hair which is uncommon in the Swordwatch Empire. Who would suspect you of working for the crown?" he replies, raising his eyebrow to accentuate the point.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Joshua lifts his hand and opens his mouth to start saying something, but instead he shuts his mouth again and covers the raising arm with a grip to the nearest bottle, filling his glas, leaning back in his chair and continues listening.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda chews absentmindedly, listening and thinking.

"The note said that the Empire's tries to get a rat in the cult failed. Lying to people isn't something I'm practiced at, but finding them is. A cult must leave big tracks. I don't know if it's the best plan, but if we know where one of these bodies are, we can start to track them down. One way or another our first step has to be to actually find them. What we do after that... I don't know."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Joshua as you go to raise your hand the older man looks at you waiting to hear your question before you quickly change directions and refill your cup. "If you have a question don't be afraid to ask it." he says before turning his head to address Meri. "The note was true to an extent." he says pausing briefly to make sure everyone was paying attention. "As you all know magic is a dangerous tool that in the wrong hands could cause unknown destruction. So it was decided long ago those with the gift for the arcane arts would go to one of three schools, depending on where their skills were. The warmage collage Oremare near Umbra Morsin, the school for the emperor's elite Royal guards Servator where duskblades are trained. And lastly Caelum Ligatus is where most wizarding types are trained, spies and such. Though others like myself can also be found studying there." he explains, something all of you already knew to some extent.

"And this cult, the followers of Ryl seem to all be magic users. As you can suspect that casts a very large net on a populace that already fears magic mostly as a whole. So we have had the Silver Knights out in a bit more force as of late and a few places have seen more magical activity then normal as of late in the empire. Angelus Ianuam being the newest case, and closets to the Empire we were hoping that they would get sloppy here. But we could not send the Silver Knights because then they would know we were onto them. And if we told the populace what was going on there would be mass panic and everyone who uses magic would be at risk of being attacked by a scared mob. So the Emperor and his advisors choose to outsource to people they believed could get the job done where official's of the empire could not. Make no mistake you are not on any imperial seals, if you are arrested no one will come to bail you out. This is a dark of night operation and it will be denied by anyone within the empire's hierarchy, unless of course you succeed in which case you will be rewarded with titles of your own and possibly more. You are allowed to keep whatever you take from prisoners and enemies of the state however, and so long as you stay and continue to work for the empire, food and lodging will be provided for you here at the Golden M. We have 3 other teams like yourself in the field in different towns at the moment, each acting independently with only their liaison's communicating together. I would be that for you., but yes we do need to find these cultists if they are in the city and stop them."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“I see,” Amara said, considering his words carefully.

It wasn’t the first time she’d done work for the Emperor, but apparently he didn’t know that. Odd, but she wasn’t going to say anything about it.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ah, no, it's not that I'm affraid, it's just... I don't know how to say.
    I still don't know, why I was chosen. Why not my neighbor Rando M'Namee? Or my brother Jonas? In this kingdom, there are a lot of people, which never served for the crown, I suppose.
    Another question is, what do we earn? What if we find nothing, not a single piece of copper? Look, I'm a Mortician. If I don't bury people, I earn nothing. I don't want to be rude, I just want to survive...

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

"Your brother was in fact considered." Agimaex as easily as breathing. "In truth it was he who turned us down and instead told us to give his spot to you. That you would serve our cause well and it would help you gain experience, whatever that means." he explains to you, letting you know that you were not the Empire's choice, but in fact your brothers.

"If you find nothing then were you ever looking? Every minute of every day something is happening in this great big world around all of us. All we have to do is stop and listen and one can find opportunity is never far away. Your family follows the Mother if I understand it correctly, the Goddess of Death. There is a temple to the Lover's within this village. No doubt they could offer you work on the side if you wished it. After all people die everywhere and a mortician must go where the bodies drop."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Amara

“Do you have any leads?” Amara asked, “why this town?”

Surely there had been some activity for the Empire to target this place out of the entire country.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-02 at 10:43 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda looks to Amara. "It sounds like because they've noticed more arcane happenings here. So presumably a better question is: why is the cult here? I guess that's for us to find out. Perhaps one of us can... searse... Hmm, become friends with the people in town, and hear rumors of the cults activities. Calendi here should be able to keep an eye on things in the sky. I imagine sooner or later they will do something to alert us."
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

PaladinGuy

Daruk

When there is a moment to put his own questions forward, Daruk scrapes his throat and speaks up. His voice is deep and its tone calming, and you can imagine the priest being practiced at speaking to and inspiring groups of people. "Has it been considered that the marks and burns might actually be a distraction? I can imagine such a secretive cult would either cover their tracks or create false trails". Dark has one more question: "And perhaps related, have victims not part of teams hunting them been found, and if so did they have any commonalities?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Merienda looks to Amara. "It sounds like because they've noticed more arcane happenings here. So presumably a better question is: why is the cult here? I guess that's for us to find out. Perhaps one of us can... searse... Hmm, become friends with the people in town, and hear rumors of the cults activities. Calendi here should be able to keep an eye on things in the sky. I imagine sooner or later they will do something to alert us."
    Amara

“I meant, specifically, what arcane happenings, and where, and who was involved,” Amara said, “that would help us find individuals to focus on instead of looking for a needle in a haystack.”
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Benedict completely ignores the wails of the commoner and the threats of theivery, nods to the fellow follower of Hieroneous, and bows his head politely to Lady Amara when she speaks up. He's rather clearly caught by surprise with the voice further in the room.

...they could have mentioned there was someone else here...

He follows the others to the table and takes a seat, quietly listening to the discussion until he feels he has something to add.

"I don't suppose you'd have a map of the city that you might provide us, so that we might find our bearings faster?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Jonas said what...? Joshua leans back into his chair and removes into his listening position.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

As Amara asks her question your liaison is about to reply when Meri steps in and speaks up which receives a nod of agreement from him. "The Empire's network is able to detect the amount of magical energy focused in any individual area and when it goes above the norm it is written down and looked into. Given the cult's activity and the rise in magic as I stated within the village it was determined this should be one of the places looked into. Its small enough that someone could easily hide in the outlying area with ease if they so wished, and close enough to the capital to cause a serious threat to security." Agimaex replies before turning to address the next question.

"It is a good theory Daruk, and one the Empire has not yet put to rest. The possibility of these being false trails is within the realms of possibility from what I understand. But given all those who have these marks are people we sent looking after the cult that we found, and we still have a good six or so unaccounted for who knows. Other victims are hard to say, every town has someone go missing from time to time its part of life. So determining which ones are freak accidents, people killed by bandits on the road, mauled by wild animals, or attacked by a cult requires a bit of time for each case to be looked into. As of the moment every missing person case we suspect may be a lead falls apart when the person comes back a few days later." he admits, letting you know that they had been looking into a few different leads but so far none had shown any true fruit.

"Lady Amara what you are asking is if the Empire has a way to record and track every magical user and identify them simply by seeing a wound or spell cast. If the Empire had any solid leads like a person, the arcane happenings as you put them, or anything besides an uptake in the magical energies gathered in the area we would not have called in the lot of you." he puts frankly. "The Silver Knights would have instead descended upon those we saw as a threat and questioned them to learn the truth, dealing with the problem with the full force and punishment the law demands for unlicensed magic. If it helps you look at this." he says unfolding a map of the entire Swordwatch Empire. " Now each place in the Empire has a light above it, and depending on how brightly lit that light is and how high up it is tells us the amount of magical power in any given place. As this is a closely monitored map kept in an undisclosed location, variants in the map are often noticed quickly and if they last more then a few hours are noted and someone is sent to investigate. You are that someone. As for looking for a needle in a haystack finding a mage of any talent that is not part of the guard should not be hard at all if you ask around long enough. People know the dangers of an untrained mage and are often more then happy to turn them over to the authorities."

"I do not, however I am sure one could be inquired about with Mitéra Iulia. My skills lie more in geography as a whole, the history of the empire, and how to build things that can last against dragonfire. So I do have a map of the Empire as a whole as you just saw, and another that shows the eight miles around the village itself, but nothing showing the tunnels in the mountain that lead to the dwarven kingdoms for instance below the mountain nor anything of the village layout."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you like I can try to draw a rough map of the village, but I do not have one on hand at the moment. Or we can do theater of the mind.

Turning at last to Joshua the older man looks at him as if he isn't sure if that was an actual question or simply him speaking out loud. "He said he had faith in you being able to serve the Empire in the task we required." he repeats again before looking out to the sun that was now only about a half hour from setting. "If none of you have any further questions I will depart and allow you all to get acquainted with one another and get ready for bed. You all have an early day in the morning."

17. - Top - End - #107

BlackDragon

Issarel

Issarel regards the man's comments with focus and regard.

"Have you a guess at the size of this supposed dragon from the size of the wounds? Are any dragons of the black known to be in the empire? Does this name Ryl have any significance? And you say all of your leads come to dead ends....is there any evidence that perhaps your operatives minds have been tampered with?"
    Last edited by Ancient; 2019-09-04 at 08:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Turning towards Issarel the man seems to think a moment before responding. "We never said it was a dragon, we said claw marks, acid, and burn marks. While I can see where those three things could turn into a dragon from what our intelligence has determined it is a group of people. Add in the fact our war with Kurast, any dragon spotted in the Empire would be an enemy of everyone and turned in immediately for the safety of their families." he replies calmly seeing how one could easily draw the line to a dragon and no doubt agreeing after Issarel pointed it out that the possibility was there, though slim.

"As for the name, the only Ryl we have documented died almost four centuries ago. He was a child that was never recovered in a raid the Silver Knights took part in. A family of surprisingly highly skilled conjurers had set up shop outside Silens Pratus and were posing as farmers from what the report says. However that was four centuries ago and this was a human child. Even if he were only a few years old he would be long dead by now."

"If enchantment magic was able to effect the minds of those sent to investigate they would have to be powerful indeed. It is a good possibility however. There was a missing person in town that our operatives checked in on a few months back who came back. The lady in question said she was out visiting family and we had no reason to question her further." he replies.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While talking about missing wifes, do you know her? Is she one of the victims found or the lady which came back, just to be lost again?
    Joshua searches the flyer and shows it to the old man.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the flyer you hand to the old man he sits for a few moments. "I believe I may have seen her once or twice when I arrived in town two days ago. She seemed to be friendly with one of the former missing girls and they were talking about shopping and such. Looked like a middle to upper class girl, someone with money. She has been missing for two days now by my count. A solid lead, well done Joshua now it seems you all have a place to start your investigation come the morning."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Meri looks on in a mix of shock and amazement at the glowing map, showing all of the magic in the Empire right before them all. She lets out an astonished expression in elven, then says,
    "I knew this Empire kept a careful watch on magic, but this... I didn't think was possible!"

She sits back down. "Yes, I agree with Joshua and Agimaex. A missing person becomes suspicious when we are expecting a cult to show up. I think we should investigate sooner rather than later. Every hour the trail gets colder. And if we are wrong, and only help find a missing person... well, that is not the end of the world."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“Well, that definitely qualifies as a lead,” Amara said quietly.

Here she could put her natural social talent to good use, bring to heel enemies of the Empire.

“Do we have any way to call for help if we need it?” she asked, “or do we come here and find you?”
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

"Nice work Joshua! We should try and retrace her movements, see if we can reconstruct what happened to her. The sooner we start the better," Crystal agrees, putting down a half-eaten bread roll and daintily brushing aside a few crumbs.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"Most people don't that is the reason it works so well. Maps like these are kept mostly in the capitals war room, however given the situation it was decided that it would be best for each of the teams to have one." he explains in regards to the map that showed the different power levels of magical concentration, a great deal of which seemed to be at the main keeps of the empire as well as the magical schools which is to be expected.

"The choice if yours, I will be here, in a room rented out downstairs on the second floor. It was decided that each liaison would arrive ahead of their charges and have their own room so no one could connect the group to the person. After all military officials are kind of hard to hide." Agimaex says as he turns to look out the window, perhaps an hour of light is left before the lanterns begin to be turned on. "How much you get done this evening though is unknown given the late hour. I doubt many people will be wanting to talk at this time, the choice is however yours."

At the question of any way to call for help he produces a simple looking stone that upon inspection is smooth to the touch, but besides that seems perfectly ordinary. Placing it onto the table he explains that throwing it onto the ground will summon him to the exact location no matter the time or place. "It's a one use item. If it is used I will give you another, however they are difficult to make and not unlimited so only use it when you must. I will be here at the inn if you need me otherwise. Give a note to Nero and it will find its way to me."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You were summoned, no matter what? And what if you ... doing your business? HAHAHA, Golden! he whipes a tear away.

Ok, back to seriosity. I think we should get know each other. We're going to spend some time together, so I would appreciate to know who you all are. He takes a sip from his glas and takes an apple in front of him, cuts it in half and bites. Without chewing down, he continues So, Joshua van der Kerkhoff's my name. I'm a mortician, servant of The Mother and I'm here because my brother, the first choice everywhere, said I need the experience. another bite and the first half is eaten.

And let's face it: If you were outside, now, in this shady light, and a group of strangers were coming your way, would you feel comfortable in this situation? It's best to start the investigation by tomorrow

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

Amara glared at Joshua for his rudeness, then introduced herself.

“I am Lady Amara van Tannin,” she said, “I don’t have any really special skills, but I am good with people. I think we should split up tomorrow, all of us together will be intimidating regardless of time of day. After this meeting I intend to dine downstairs, anyone who is not too tired, feel free to join so we might get to know one another better.”
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #117

BlackDragon

Issarel Clanyr

Issarel regards this Joshua human oddly, he manners were very human. Perhaps he was just nervous, still his point about starting the investigation in darkness was not as ridiculous as his comment.
    She cracks a polite smile.

"As we are introducing each other, I am Issarel. Lets us be smart and vigilant, and work with unity and purpose, so we never find ourselves in a situation where we need to summon our Patron, regardless of his...activities. I will not mince words, I am on a hunt for an Enchanter, a sick man who abducts people and bends there will to his own. These missing women sound like something that MIGHT be connected, and I am very interested in bringing this man to justice as quickly as possible. Still, I must agree with Joshua that inquiries of honest citizens of the Empire are best done in the light of day. What that light reveals, is best struck in the dark."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"Then we'll wait until morning," Crystal concedes to the general consensus.

"I think I introduced to most of you earlier, but if we're doing this again let's get into the detail: My name is Detective Sergeant Crystal Wolfe. I've been seconded from the Cor Justorum city watch for this case. As has been pointed out-" she glances briefly at Lord Shellford "-I've been with the watch about five months so my probationary period has technically not yet expired; however, I expect that will be a formality. Before that I served my time in the military intelligence unit at Viridi Plana. I was top of my conscripted intake in several track and field events and hold the Viridi Plana all time rookie pentathlon record."

"In terms of what I bring to the team, I'm fast, strong, nimble, and have exceptional endurance. I'm good with both sword and bow. I may not be as good with people as some-" this time Crystal indicates Amara "-but I can tell when someone's playing me false and I'm very observant. I'm good at getting to the truth of matters. I know where to look, who to listen to, and I can put pi and root 3 together. Military Intelligence taught me a wide range of subjects and in particular how to hunt the users of the arcane arts."

"I don't say this to brag, but it's important we all know what each other are capable of if we're going to be working together."

"I agree with Lady Amara that we'll cover more ground tomorrow by splitting up, at least initially. Then we can reconvene and share any leads we've uncovered."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You were that Rookie? Joshua shouts out. You know, I'm from Viridi Plana... Of course I have heard about it. Congrats! he bows his head in true appreciation
    I was told I'm good at scaring people. I'm telling it more of convincing people than scaring them, but I'm somehow talented in feeling related stuff.

30. - Top - End - #120

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Daruk introduces himself after Crystal´s introduction. "I too, have served a long time in the military, leading small troops of soldiers to the thickest part of battles. My name is Daruk Stonesplitter and I am a humble servant of Heironeous. I decided a while ago to leave the military and devote my life to the temple." He collects his thoughts before he continues: "I see myself surrounded by many a talented person, quick on their feet and with their wits. I move at a slower pace, I know that much about myself. However, I am available for advise en most of all protection and healing, should the need be there."

"I agree starting tomorrow makes sense. I also think that we need take care about the type of formations and constellations we venture out of this inn and into the city. For sure, our band catches the eye and would easily raise suspicion from vigilant criminals."