New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Through the door of Angels

Benedict introduces himself next, after a polite bow of the head to Lady Amara.

"As previously stated, I am Lord Benedict Shellford IV, of Caelum. I am a follower of the lord Heironeous, and have been traveling the Empire of late bringing justice to those who might do it or its inhabitants harm. Sword and horse are my specialties."''

He then looks around the assembled group. "Quite a varied group brought together in service of the Emperor."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda rolls her eyes at the depth of humor on display, but says nothing. For the time being, she listens to the others. It would seem just about everyone was either associated with the Empires government, either through military or politics of nobility, or was an elven outsider. And yet this was far from the rigor of the type of military operation that one would expect. The empire must really be at their wit's end to have called together such a group.

"A man is missing his wife enough to ask strangers for help. I doubt he will take issue with the time of day we come to him. But if you all are agreed, then so be it. Calendi and I are trackers." She says with a motion to the bird behind her. "I imagine that is part of why we were selected. Your human cities aren't my strong suit, but if the cult has taken up residence somewhere in the mountains around this place, we will find them.

Issarel, this man that you mentioned. Do you have reason to suspect he is in Angelis Ianuam, aside from the missing woman?"
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

As Introductions are being made Agimaex bids you all goodnight before departing, leaving you all alone to catch up and get to know one another a bit better and decide what is best to be done in regards to this cult, how to get leads, and most importantly if you should stick as a group or split to keep it looking like you all don't know each other.

About an hour or two of talking goes by, some of it upstairs, in the penthouse, the rest downstairs in the dinning area of the inn at a booth set aside for you all. A clear view of the stage reveals the young half elf from earlier in a flowing green dress with white lace and a simple crown made of white wild flowers adorns her head. A standard harp rests against her arm as she begins to play a gentle melody for all to listen to as they dine.

Unlike earlier the bar is now packed with people, no doubt just getting off of a hard days work and wanting to relax before going home. Most you note are men, though a few women due mingle at a few of the tables. The smell of roasted boar wafts from the kitchen window where Thomas was seen earlier asking when his father would be back with the food. From the aroma alone you can tell this will be a great feast, and when the wooden plates, the size of small serving trays, are brought out piled high with mashed potatoes, a thick slab of boar, bread, and a bottle of mead placed on the table you can tell that today is a good night.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to pause it there, let you all as a group talk a bit more. Let me know when you are all ready to move onto the next day

4. - Top - End - #124

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    Issarel, this man that you mentioned. Do you have reason to suspect he is in Angelis Ianuam, aside from the missing woman?"[/COLOR]
    Issarel

Issarel stiffens, crossing her arms defensively.

"I do not, other than the fact that if the Emperor felt the need to involve me, then it is likely that the Enchanter is somehow involved. Dominating and enslaving women is his...favorite hobby."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda wrinkles her nose in clear disgust. "Well he certainly sounds..." But she trails off, not quite sure what word to use for a man like that.

"Your hunch certainly tracks. If I were an arcanist looking to abuse people with my power, falling into a cult of arcanists is the first thing I would do. Even if this Enchanter doesn't share the Cult's goals, they have reason to work together to oppose the law. We should consider checking in regularly then, and letting each other know of our whereabouts. Particularly us females, since he targets them. The last thing we need is for one of us to go missing without knowing where they were."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm good to either continue planning, or fast forwarding and assume we chat a bit about who we are. There's very little in Merienda's backstory that she wouldn't share.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Uhm... we should make a plan for tomorrow, shouldn't we? I would say one is visiting the husband and the rest, spreading out? Not more than two at a time, I'd say. Let's start after breakfast, we meet again for lunch, discuss what we've found out till tea and then, yeah... we will see.
    Everyone, or team, gets a district. If really something is happening to him or her, we now know where to search.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-09-11 at 01:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Amara

“I think it’s a good idea,” Amara said, “I don’t mind exploring a bit, see what I can find. Would anyone like to be my partner?”

For the dinner, Amara changed out of her armor and travel clothing and into something a bit fancier; a long sleeved sea green ankle length dress, complete with sapphire jewelry and her auburn and blonde hair twisted into a simple braid. She appears to be much more comfortable in the dress than the leathers she wore earlier and enjoys her fill of food and wine, making sure to speak with every member of their group who joined for dinner.
    Spoiler
    Show
    open interaction for anyone to chit chat
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-09-11 at 11:16 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Daruk nods in agreement. "Seeing how a low profile is in order, I believe it not to be a good idea for the likes of me to go around asking questions. I fear I may have too much of a profile, and being less than entirely truthful is not my forte." Quickly, afraid to give the wrong impression, he adds: "I understand why the cloaked action is needed, of course, but it is just not what I am good at. I could trail anyone that could use it to offer protection should they bump into problems."

During dinner Daruk stays the priest he is, offering to lead prayers for those that appreciate it. He does not seem bothered with people that don't share his belief. He chooses to observe the conversations that happen, but is always willing to give his opinion (no matter how minor or inconsequential the topic) when asked.

9. - Top - End - #129

BlackDragon

Issarel

I would do no less than two, if enchantment is being used, harder to compromise someone with a partner.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, you heard about that?" Crystal chuckles at Joshua's recognition. "Viridi Plana was a little quieter than I'd hoped for, but it was a nice enough town. I'm a capital city girl at heart though."

Crystal nods as each of the others come to agree that splitting up is the best course of action. "Ok, I think that makes sense. Amara, you've said you're good with people, and Merienda you strike me as the observant sort - I think you'd complement each other and Daruk can watch over you both. Issarel, I think you might be able to keep a lower profile with Joshua than with Lord Shelford or myself. It seems he's a smooth talker and together you should be able to handle any trouble. And Lord Shellford... Benedict," Cyrstal smiles a little awkwardly, aware of their rocky start. "I think the two of us are going to stand out whoever we pair with so it makes sense we should go together."

"That is, unless there are any objections?"

11. - Top - End - #131

RangerGuy

Benedict nods, "Very well. What in particular are we looking for, at this point? Doors with occult symbols? Or perhaps we are simply walking around to see if cultists attack us?" He glances around at everyone gathered. "We don't really seem to have much to go on yet, after all."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda opens her mouth as if to argue with being told who to group with. But Amara and Daruk seemed fine enough. Besides, people more interested in making conversation with the citizens was fine by her. She looks at Calendi, who pulls a bit at a strand of hair.

"That sounds fine to Calendi and I. Benedict, we have a bit. The missing woman, and the knowledge of what to look for. But the townsfolk may know more as well. If you need Calendi or I, we will be downstairs."

She moves downstairs with the others, but not before packing her armor away for the night. Calendi flutters up to the beams on the ceiling to better watch the patrons, and Meri sits next to Amara. They couldn't appear more different: where Amara is well dressed and her hair done up, Merienda is dressed in the simplest shirt and pants you can imagine, and her hair is worn down and stuck with a few twigs and leaves. Where Amara is sociable and and eats and drinks easily, Merienda is reluctant to start conversations and eyes the food with a bit of skepticism.

"So... It sounds like we're going to be partners tomorrow." It's not a great start to a conversation, but it's something.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm good to time skip to tomorrow when other people are, or spend time talking tonight.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Before you all are leaving... Joshua interrupts the one leaving, who went where? Since you two are too striking to go undercover, you should visit the husband. he says to Wolfe and the Knight
    If someone asks, where a group of adventurers, seeking the missing wife, okay?

And now, have a nice evening! See you tomorrow.

(If no discussion about the who goes where starts) he leaves the penthouse, walks to the temple and prays again to The Mother. Afterwards he returns to the Golden M, walks upstairs, eats a bit of the stuff at the table and goes to bed. He learned it the hard way that you should sleep enough before a new mission starts.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Amara

Amara hid her smile behind a hand as she was told who to work with. Meri, who she already had met, and she wouldn’t say no to someone watching her back, especially a big tough guy like Daruk. So she let it pass without comment.

At the dinner Amara started making small talk with Meri.

“Yes,” Amara said, “err, you have twigs, in your hair. Here, and here.”
    Amara carefully pulled out the offending plants.
    “I’ve lived in the capitol my whole life,” she said, “Where did you say you were from?”

Spoiler
    Show
    im okay to time skip, we can continue talking over dinner in spoilers if necessary
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

As the night winds down each of you eventually make your way back up to the penthouse of the inn and go to your respective rooms to sleep for the night. From below you can just barely make out the sound of Aurelia's harp being played for whatever patrons still sit down below which is like a soft lullaby that helps all the humans in the group fall asleep peacefully, while Meri and Issarel instead slip into their trance like state, having no real need for sleep.

Day 2

As you each wake up to start your day you go about your daily morning rituals, outside you can hear vendors walking by trying to sell their wares and the fresh smell of bread being baked not to far away. Eventually you all leave your rooms and notice that it smells like a privy up here and can swear you hear something pacing back and forth from the direction of the table. Though the footfalls are very soft, like a childs almost.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Oh..." Merienda looks a bit puzzled as the tree bits are pulled out of her hair: neither annoyed nor appreciative of it. She takes the twigs and puts them in her side-slung bag. Who knows, they might be useful later.

"I'm from Ellenthyr. I was born in the Willowsteed Forest, though I don't remember it much: I moved north by the time I could walk and talk. This is my first time in human lands. It's very... Do you travel much, or only because of our work?" She says, generally gesturing to the inn.

The next day, Meri wakes up early as is normal for her: early enough to catch the sunrise, at least. She spends almost an hour in quiet contemplation, feeling the rhythm of nature even here, in a building in the center of town. Some people believe they can silence the Wild: either intentionally or on accident. Those people have just forgotten how to listen.

Eventually, a foul smell breaks her out of her reverie. Meri wrinkled her nose and stood up. Offending smells weren't new to her; animals aren't known for their delicate sensibilities. Anyone who has spent time in a stable can tell you that much. Still, she was in neither a stable nor the wilderness, and such a thing didn't make sense here. With a bit of apprehension, she wrinkled her nose and followed the smell back to the center room.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva
    As you awaken the next morning you find a sealed envelope on the desk near your bed. How did someone get into your room last night without alerting you? Turning it over to break the seal you notice that it is the one of your old Master, with a Stylized T on it that is unmistakable to you.
    Issarel

Issarel stared at the letter long time before finally opening it with trembling hands. What it said was less important than what it meant, HE KNEW WHERE SHE WAS. She retched reading his words, the facts closing in claustrophobically around her. She wept, wept freely as hope left her body. It would happen all over again. He would catch her unaware LIKE HE ALREADY DID, dominate her, and violate her, again, and again, and who knows whom she would have to kill THIS time, probably all the poor bastards she just met. She wanted to flee to run, and run, and run some more, far away from these future victims and HIM, that smug bastard. But it wouldn't matter, she would run, and Jahni would still be dead, and she wouldn't be free, wouldn't ever be free as long as she or HE drew breath.

She stood up, and looked in the room's mirror, her tears had caused her mascara she failed to remove last night to run badly, it did not matter. She drank the bottle of Moonglow she nabbed the night before whole as she composed herself and spoke into the mirror.

You, are Issarel Clanyr of House Clanyr. You were a dancer who was abducted as a youngling, you were beaten, violated and abused. You were forced to steal and kill for an abomination. This is your story. You are not your story. You are Issarel Clanyr of House Clanyr. You are what you do to your story. You will not run, you will not hide. You will stay the course. Though you may fall and fail again, you will NEVER give YOUR will to him freely...again. You shall be the one that defeats HIM, because without YOU, he is empty, and he shall never have YOU again.

With that, she goes down the hall to Crystal's room and knocks on the door with the now empty wine bottle, letter in hand.

"Detective Wolfe, we have a problem...and what is that SMELL?!?"

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Perception for the smell and the sounds: Listen: (1d20+8)[20]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[15]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

As it happens Issarel only gets about one knock in before the door opens of its own accord, the platinum blonde on the other side startled by the unexpected visitor mid-straightening of her sword belt as she leaves for breakfast.

"Issarel! I wasn't expecting you!" Crystal gasps. Her look of surprise turns to puzzlement as she takes in the letter and the empty bottle. "What can I do for...?" she begins to ask, but the thought stalls unfinished as her nose registers the stench with a twitch.

"Urgh! What is that?" she complains, one hand shooting up to cover her nose whilst the other clutches instinctively round her sword hilt. Hearing the sound of footsteps, Crystal's head swivels to track them like an eagle acquiring a target.

She looks back towards Issarel, eyes asking an unspoken question. We're going to investigate this, right?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Amara

Dinner:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ”actually I think this might be my first time out of the city on my own,” Amara replied, “and I’ve never been to a proper forest before. How do the wagons get through without roads?”

Amara breathed through her mouth as much as possible as she dressed, back to the explorer’s outfit today. Less concerned with finding the source of the offending odor than with escaping it, she opens her room door with one hand on her nose. Amara waved to Crystal and Issarel.

“Need air,” she said nasally.
    She turned and headed straight downstairs, aiming to walk straight out the front door until she can clear her head and get her bearings.
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Those who go to investigate the smell
    Show
    For whatever reasons that drive you, each of you find yourself before the table you meet Agimaex the day before. The smell is barely tolerable now as you are so close to the cause, as a figure no larger then one and a half feet tall stops in its pacing and turns to look at all of you. It's yellowish brown saggy skin, and potbelly only made worse by the thick layer of dried ordure covering it from head to toe. Slicked back stringy black hair adorns his pointed, horned head. As it looks at all of you, very clean compared to the creature it almost cringes at the sight.

Spoiler: Those trying to get away from the smell
    Show
    Rushing out of the penthouse and down to the second floor you note the smell is almost completely gone, whatever it was had to be in your room. By the time you make it outside the stench is completely gone, replaced instead by the smell of an early morning in a small town, and the accompanying sounds that come with it. The smell of baked goods wafts gently on the breeze, as a salesman makes his way up and down the streets trying to sell apples, a very large pig pulling the cart. A large amount of people seem to be milling about going of to their respective jobs no doubt. As you watch all this milling around you note a patrol walking by, carrying a parchment, nail, and hammer.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Curious, Amara stepped forward towards the patrol to watch as they put the parchment up.

If they acknowledge her at all:
    “Good morning,” she said cheerfully.
    TC for short

22. - Top - End - #142
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Daruk had woken up earlier than most, as per usual, performing his prayer and meditative rituals in peace in his room before gearing up. Fortunately for him, the incense he uses overbeared the smell from the central room somewhat. This also means that the blow to his senses once he opened his door was just the harder, and he suppresses most of the retching reflex that follows.

He eyes the ladies in the hallway quizzically, what with the scene-fleeing and bottle swinging, and then moves towards the central room. Slightly alarmed, whatever this is, it can´t be good, he makes a step forward to pose himself between it and his companions. "Identify yourself," he says in a firm voice, and making no trouble to hide the sword he carries, "and state your business."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Joshua was the first who went to bed, just to get up early, but instead, he overslept... As a mortician he's used to special odours so he doesn't recognize it at first.

He wakes up from the activities outside (outside of his room, in the penthouse), puts his trousers on (where his whip and kukri are attached to, just for the record), grabs his shirt and walks barefoot out of his room to ask whats going on, when he hears Daruk saying and state your business from the other side of the room, where they sat yesterday all together.

A slap in his face by the smell later, he sprints the short distance to his comrades to stand with them against... whatever it is.

As he arrives he sees the creature. WOW, you are ugly!

24. - Top - End - #144

BlackDragon

Issarel

Issarel stands in the doorway and takes in the scene, looking back and forth from the THING and her sadly empty bottle. What do they put in this stuff!?!

"Oh great, toilet demon..." She says dryly on what is shaping up to be one hell of a day.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Amara outside
    Show
    Following the patrol a short distance you come to a town square of sorts, no doubt in a village this size their are at least four. They all nod their heads respectfully to you as you say good morning to them, though it is clear they are more interested in their work at the moment as they hang up the parchment onto the signboard with a few other such notes on them, including one asking about a mans missing wife. The same you note as the one you were shown last night. The parchment reads as following

Spoiler: The rest of the party
    Show
    As Daruk and Joshua join you, Daruk quickly demands the tiny creature identify itself, sword showing in a threatening manner and you can almost swear the stench begins to get worse as he does so, as if it was part of the creatures defense. "Look who's talking human, with your pink skin and offending smells." the creature replies to Joshua before looking back to Daruk, a look of anger across its face. " As for you, clearly no one taught you manners, like to not attack a messenger." the hideous one and a half feet tall creature says as it stands up at its full height and addresses the party as a whole. "I am here to tell you all that my Master has no ill will for you and wishes for you to know that those who use his name are not followers of his. He sees potential in some of you in fact and wants to propose a truce for the moment. As a sign of good faith he wishes you to know that those you seek are at the mines as we speak. If they will be when you get there though depends on you." the creature with sagggy yellowish brown skin says, lifting one of its arms up and scratching itself under the arm, causing flakes of its dried ordure to fall off onto the table. "Do you have a return message?" it asks waiting a few moments to see if anyone has anything to say.

As Issarel calls the disgusting looking creature a toilet demon it grows very agitated, bearing its fangs at her before speaking in some unknown language. Glupyy el'f, kak ty smeyesh' nazyvat' menya demonom? YA potroshu tebya kak svin'yu i budu pirovat' v tvoyem mozgu.

Show

A knowledge the Planes check can identify this creature, or you could try attacking and killing it. Up to you.

Also for any who speak infernal here (redacted) no one speaks infernal so you can only guess at what he said.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-09-17 at 08:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal stands a half-pace in front of Issarel, sword arm gripping her hilt tightly, ready to draw at a moment's notice.

As it finishes talking she makes a *stay calm* gesture towards the others. Despite the creature's offensiveness these are good leads.

"Thank your master for the tip," she forces out neutrally, if a little tautly, fighting down waves of revulsion.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-09-17 at 08:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

RangerGuy

Benedict wakes in the morning, and his first notice of the scent is expressed by a "What in the name of Heironeous is that god-awful smell! Bloody peasant, most likely!"

Hearing one of his comrades outside the door to his room telling something to "state your business", Benedict immediately goes for his sword and draws the greatsword from its baldric before stepping out of his room into the common area. Having missed the entire conversation, he simply discovers his companions...conversing...with the walking privy.

Seeing the toilet demon, he exclaims, "What unholy abomination is this? Heironeous, grant me strength!"

Not that he really needs to, but he then casts Detect Evil just be be sure.
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-09-17 at 09:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda pauses when she sees the offending creature, certainly having no idea what it was or where it came from. She shoots a glare at Joshua: ugly though it may be, now was hardly the time to bring that up.

Through a distinctly wrinkled nose, she says, "Thank you, messenger. A truce for the moment only? I don't believe we have any cause for... animosity. Especially if your master doesn't associate with the cult that bears his name. Ask your master if he would like to meet; we may be able to clear up more over a proper discussion. As Crystal said, thank you for the tip."

And then Benedict barges in, cussing out the creature. Meri puts a hand to her forhead and abandons all hope of having a peaceful conversation with this thing.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-09-17 at 10:16 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Toilet demon! Oh gosh, this is so funny *hrmmmmmpfff* Joshua tries to swallow the laughter down after Iss gives the thing this name.

Then, after Meri: Ahm, no, I don't think anybody of us wants to spend more time with you. And you should leave by now, so no guards from the outside are offended by your smell! Thank you, but... don't came back!

Show
    this, in fact, was an intimidation attempt (1d20+10)[25]
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-09-17 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Edit the edit because of edit

30. - Top - End - #150

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva
    As Issarel calls the disgusting looking creature a toilet demon it grows very agitated, bearing its fangs at her before speaking in some unknown language. Glupyy el'f, kak ty smeyesh' nazyvat' menya demonom? YA potroshu tebya kak svin'yu i budu pirovat' v tvoyem mozgu.
    Issarel

While Issarel has no idea what idea what the creature is saying, it's intent and posture are quite clear.

"Ooh, such language, prithee, did I offend? You should watch your mouth toilet demon, before someone washes your mouth out WITH SOAP!"