New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Through the door of Angels

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay I am replying in order so that the timeline doesn't get really weird and messy. Okay so it goes Crystal, Meri, Benedict at the end of Meri's speech, Joshua, Issarel

"Finely someone sensible. I will do just that." The creature you have all dubbed the toilet demon replies in what on a normal person would no doubt be a polite and noble reply, though on this creature it seems more like a bunch of sneers and grunts.

"You serve the empire, those who attack arcanist for being born and wanting to be free. He wishes to live in a world where children do not need to hide their powers in fear of being taken away to never see their families again. Or worse killed because they all wield magic. I highly doubt he would ever agree to a long term truce, though who knows? As for meetings, he has tried them before and been attacked by the Empire's traps. When he believes you are trustworthy he may send another to fetch you all, it won't be myself though."

As Benedict comes into the room, greatsword in hand the vile creature vanishes from sight, winking for all intents and purposes out of existence, the only thing remaining is the horrid smell. However to the Paladins eyes this vile, offensive smelling creature cannot hide as he detects a faint aura of evil coming from the same direction the "toilet demon" was in before. Though if this is its lingering aura of it being here or it is hard to say.

Joshua, whether the "toilet demon" has heard you or not you are unsure, given it does not appear to be in the room and no reply comes from the air.

As you say the word washing the room instantly begins to smell much worse as the creature, invisible to the normal eye seems to do something and a stench of decaying bodies mixed with sulfur and dung seem to surround all of you except Joshua who doesn't seem to notice a change in the smell of the room.

Spoiler: Diabolic stench
    Show

Fort DC 14 or become nauseated for (1d6)[4] rounds

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Benedict peers around the room, his eyes glowing with a holy light, trying to ascertain the location of the invisible demon.

"You converse with evil, companions! And it has not left."

He manages to hold down his revulsion at the now even fouler scent.

Show
    Round 2: Number of evil auras.

Next round is the power and location of each aura, which should narrow it down enough to take a swing with the sword (hopefully).
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-09-17 at 11:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda just stares daggers at her team as they chase off the creature. At least until it disappears and the smell gets unbearable. Now retching in earnest, Meri abandons pretext of being polite, and swings open the windows and retches out the window, desperately trying to take in fresh air.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

The redoubled stench hits Crystal like a kick to the stomach! Wracked by uncontrollable dry heaving, she nevertheless manages to scrape her sword out of its scabbard, remaining determinedly (if unsteadily) between Issarel and the room in general.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Amara

100 gold pieces per ogre. Might be interesting, also might be interesting to see who else wants to try their hand at hunting ogres. And they’re a danger to the populace.

Amara made her way back upstairs to tell the others, holding her nose again as she re-entered the penthouse. She notes everyone gathered at the end of the hall and goes to investigate.

Spoiler
    Show
    amara can see invisible. If she spies the toilet demon she’ll point at it and exclaim “what in the name of the emperor is _that_?”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Lord Benedict as your eyes shine with the holy light of Heironeous you note that the only evil aura in the room seems to be coming from the direction you last saw that vile creature. However it all becomes clear what his plan is as the window opens, and it doesn't take much to guess that it is trying to escape. The problem is there is a rather large table between all of you and the window on the other end of the room. And with Merienda retching out one window there is only one path to the creature. Thankfully it cannot fly given it doesn't have wings, or at least that is what you can only hope.

Crystal stands at the ready it seems to defend Issarel even though she herself is dry heaving as well. A brave move for one who is at a weakness in a fight.

However as a few more seconds go by Lord Benedict confirms the evil creature jumped out the window, and with it the worst of the stench. It's parting gift however no doubt will take a while to air out. It is at that time Lady Amara walks inside, seeing the rest of you. Some with weapons drawn, others tossing last nights dinner straight out the window.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ok, what was this? Joshua asks, still only dressed with his pants.
    I'll be back in a moment, I just want to finish dressing myself
    He walks back into his room, closes the door, open it again to say to Issarel Toilet demon... golden!

5 minutes later, he returns fully dressed, ready to go, combing his long hair and tries to get the point what the others are talking about.

8. - Top - End - #158

RangerGuy

Benedict frowns and glares at the window the demon left through, and his eyes stop glowing.

"The monster has escaped through its dastardly, unholy trickery."

He then turns to the rest of the group, with a particular focus on Merienda and Crystal; the first because she seemed to be having a conversation with the monster when he entered, and the second because he can assume she was doing the same by her stance between the creature and the elf who apparently has some sense about how to treat abominations.

"Am I correct in believing that some of us were having a pleasant conversation with an unholy creature?" Seeing Merienda new-found favor for the window and Crystal's weakening stance, he then asks. "And have we learned our lesson on why that should not be done? If we consort with -evil-, we are little better than those cultists we seek to put an end to."

Noticing Amara, he bows his head somewhat and finally lowers his sword from a readied position. "Good lady."

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Meri gathers her wits at the window, and clenches it with white knuckles as she hears Benedict chastise her. The sheer gall of the man, and the wrongness of his assumptions, combined with the morning's antics was enough to get the elf's blood boiling. She glares daggers at the man.

"Are you an idiot? I was learning about the Cult we were tasked to find. That's what we were hired to do, if you don't remember! And considering we had basically no leads, I'm not about to turn my nose up to one! But you-- your nose is so stuck high in the air it is a wonder you can see at all. Yes, I'm aware it's a vile creature, but it's what our lead used to negotiate. Which was going fine until you and he," she points at Joshua, "arrived with insults and threats and weapons, and made it panic and fill the room with that horrid stench!"

Merienda strides towards the door. Amara, Daruk: Calendi and I will be downstairs deliberating how best to proceed with what we learned. Please join us as soon as you are able.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Towards the end of this peculiar encounter, Daruk struggles to maintain his composure. "Yes..." he seems to agree at least to some extent with Benedict, "....vile, horrid...." suddenly he makes his way to his room in haste "....scuse me". It seems the stench got the better of him, and surely of his appetite for breakfast of any kind. He manages a small nod to Meri: yes...yes, I´ll be there in a minute, or two...

11. - Top - End - #161

BlackDragon

Issarel

At this point, little fazes her. Her response to the toilet demon's escape is a mere shrug. The noisome smell is overpowering, but her earlier revulsion had alread emptied her stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Ok, what was this? Joshua asks, still only dressed with his pants.
    I'll be back in a moment, I just want to finish dressing myself
    He walks back into his room, closes the door, open it again to say to Issarel Toilet demon... golden!
    As the strange man excuses himself, Issarel can't help but admire the man's excellent physique, it is a happy distraction from the situation at hand and the stench. Her gaze might linger a bit more than appropriate, and when he opens the door again to compliment her wit, she almost blushes, but tries to cover it up with a wink and a conspiratorial grin.

She then places a comforting hand on the retching Detective's shoulder. She is touched the woman thought of her safety, it had been a long time since anyone had thought of her as anything other than an object to be used.

She searches the room, to see if there is anything more amiss than that which has already transpired.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Search: (1d20+9)[19]

12. - Top - End - #162

RangerGuy

"I believe you meant to say 'our consorting with evil was going fine'. Causing evil to flee, while less preferable than outrightly destroying evil, is the proper course. Negotiating with evil simply leaves you open to their manipulation, as you have no doubt been. It would have left the stench anyway, as its heart was foul." His words carry with them absolutely no doubt that what he believes wholeheartedly that what he is saying is true. He reverently grasps the silver pendant of a fist holding a lightning bolt hanging around his neck. "The Holy Order of the Supernal Topaz Defenders teach that all evil and aberrant creatures must be cleansed from the world in the name of Heironeous, and to never falter in ones duty to protect the innocent from such threats."

He then smiles somewhat. "Thank you for recognizing that those stout-hearted enough among us drove it away."

He then turns towards Joshua and Issarel, "Good work, both of you. I'm glad that some people have good sensibility about them, and you shall make fine compatriots in our mission."
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-09-18 at 01:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

As the ordure clears Crystal swallows behind her fist a few times to clear the last of the nausea. "Toilet Demon! Classic. Glad I hadn't had breakfast yet though," she quips to Issarel, clearly appreciating the comforting hand.

"No harm done!" she smiles brightly as she recovers, completely brushing aside Benedict's rebuke as she sheaths her sword jauntily. "Talk to a demon; find a gang of dangerous cultists. That's surely a net positive."

Crystal appears much more self assured this morning, displaying none of her previous sheepishness towards him. It's as though having been initially blindsided by his haughty tone the previous evening she's decided not to be intimidated by her social superior, and is instead just going to brazen her way through whatever attitude he decides to take with her. Even so as Merienda pushes past she there may have been a hint of a conspiratorial eye roll.

"So! We learned a lot just now! Let me list what I can think of: Ryl is real; He's a man; He's powerful enough to consort with demons; His opposition to the empire stems from ''Arcanist's Rights''..." (Crystal air quotes) "...he knew about our secret mission almost as soon as we did, AND where to find us; He's clearly very powerful or well connected. I hate to say it, but Agimaex is probably top suspect at the moment. Hopefully we can rule him out of our enquiries quickly. Secondly, Ryl's messenger gave us a location for the Cult of Ryl. Apparently Ryl disapproves of them due to some sort of trademark dispute over his name. They're at the mines. Or at least they will be if we don't misstep."

"Now as Lord Shelford just elaborated, this is probably a manipulation of some sort. But if anyone can think of a better way to learn more about what's going on here than breaking up a gang of cultists, seizing their stuff, and interrogating the survivors, I'm open to suggestions."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-09-18 at 02:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

RangerGuy

"I find it just as likely that this rogue mage who has pacts with demons is directing us into a trap to remove us as one potential danger toward him."

He shrugs. "Never-the-less, I do agree that there's only one way to find out. I'll go get my armor."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda flares again. "No Benedict, I said exactly what I meant to. Kindly never attempt to put words in my mouth again."

She pauses at the entrance to the room, aware that the group's consensus might be to all go together.

"Crystal's assessment makes sense to me." She waits to see if the group is indeed sticking together as they form a plan. As she does Calendi (who dashed to freedom the moment she opened the window) flutters back through the same window to her, apparently deciding that the smell is once again bearable.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Once someone said the enemy of my enemy is my friend. And both we and Toilet Demons master, we both are after the cult. Can you work it this way, holy knight?

I think we're in a hurry? We should go to the mines asap. Wherever they may be...

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Amara

“Good day, lord Shellford,” Amara said with a nod and an awkward curtesy with one hand still on her nose.

She stared in a bit of confusion as an argument broke out.
    “Demons, what?” she said.

Then Crystal launched into her summary.

“Thank you detective,” Amara said, “I didn’t even know such a group of arcanists could exist in the Empire. But we are supposed to be investigating the cult. If we investigate the mines, assuming what that... stinky thing said was true, I bet his lord or employer would try to contact us again, and we could try to follow the lead back to the source.”

“If we’re going to leave the town, we should be careful,” Amara said, “the mayor of this town has put a 100 gold bounty for each ogre slain as they have been attacking travelers outside of the town.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Many options present themselves to the party, however splitting up to tackle all these leads, or to gain extra cash is risky at best which begs the question which mission is most important to the party? Should they continue with their original plan to question the man about his missing wife, or perhaps follow the lead given to them by the toilet demon said to have been sent by a deadman? There are also those personal quests each of you have heard of or received while exploring the town, or as you awoke. The choice remains in your hands however as you all stand around upstairs arguing who to trust, if for that matter your patron can even be trusted. After all someone was able to find you all, and while they may not know you personally they knew where you would be staying meaning their is either a mole or they are extremely powerful. And if the later why have they not made their move yet instead of keeping an eye on you?

19. - Top - End - #169

RangerGuy

Hearing Amara's words, Benedict nods. "Very well, if there are ogres acting as a threat, leaving town as a group will be the best course if we must."

Then he replies to Joshua, "As we already have the information, we should make use of it. To destroy both of our foes. Even if it is a trap, there must be a way that we might end up being the trapper instead of the trapped."

He looks over at the elf, "I do hope that we don't enter into a pattern of consorting with evil, however."

He then heads back into his guest room and starts strapping on his armor since it seems it will be necessary whichever path they decide to take.

20. - Top - End - #170

BlackDragon

Issarel

Issarel steels herself, clears her throat, and comes forward with her letter.

"Unfortunately, it seems, that we are BADLY compromised, probably on multiple levels. Not only does Ryl know of our plans, but so does the Enchanter. He has further insinuated that one or more of us is his puppet, which may or may not be true. Given the Enchanter's interest, it makes me believe Ryl indeed is NOT part of the cult, that some other faction is using his name to further their cause, though further proof is required. In anycase, the Enchanter must be dealt with, or we will all be in peril."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Joshua takes the letter from Issarel, reads it and sits down. Wow... that's... okay... what a huge pile of 'horse droppings'!

Good. So. I don't know what had happen, and why this creepy freek calls you his pet and stuff - that's not my business,

but we're part of the same group now, and as I demand from each of you maximum loyalty, I am also maximal loyal to each of you. And so this threat is not only directed against you and Crystal, but against all of us! Let him come and get us, this pompous ...

So... does anybody know how many days of travel away is Tunta Lignum and how far the mines?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“The Enchanter is an arcanist, right?” Amara asked, “since we know where and when he will be, why not inform our handler and let the him and the Silver Knights take care of it?”
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #173

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fliggl View Post
    Joshua takes the letter from Issarel, reads it and sits down. Wow... that's... okay... what a huge pile of 'horse droppings'!

Good. So. I don't know what had happen, and why this creepy freek calls you his pet and stuff - that's not my business,

but we're part of the same group now, and as I demand from each of you maximum loyalty, I am also maximal loyal to each of you. And so this threat is not only directed against you and Crystal, but against all of us! Let him come and get us, this pompous ...

So... does anybody know how many days of travel away is Tunta Lignum and how far the mines?
    Issarel emotion springs to her face as she looks a bit uneasy, and more than a bit touched by this declaration. Her own people had abandoned her as a weak and unclean thing, and here these people, strangers really, were offering to jump into the jaws of uncertainty with her.

"Thank...thank YOU, I really appreciate your gesture, you have no idea...but really, this is my burden, I showed you all the letter in case...I don't return, and if...I do, do not trust me immediately, you have NO idea how he likes to play his games...you seem like such nice people, I can't plunge you all into this danger."

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Amara

“The Enchanter is an arcanist, right?” Amara asked, “since we know where and when he will be, why not inform our handler and let the him and the Silver Knights take care of it?”
    "Obviously, our "secret" meeting, is the most talked about story in town, I would not step on the same pier with a boat that has as many leaks as this mission. To tell our handler, would risk it being eavesdropped on and tip off the Enchanter, allowing him to slip away and snipe at us at his leisure. Besides, he is my responsibility, I feel horrible enough involving you all, and the fact is, his knowledge of you...my fondness for you...puts you at risk already. Anything that brings me the possibility of joy or hope is to be burnt before my eyes, these Silver Knights would probably just be more collateral damage, and I have seen more than enough of that already."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sorry Lady, but I don't buy this! If you just wanted to inform us, you could have shown us the latter tomorrow? Or put it on your desk and if you both don't come back we would find it?
    You wanted help, you need help, you get help!

But first of all, let's clear these mines
    !

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“Agreed, let’s head to the mines, and we might find something there that would help us against this enchanter,” Amara said.

“We’ll still have time to make it to him if we leave this morning,” she said.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #176

RangerGuy

Coming back out of his room, Benedict is now decked in his armor and with his swords strapped to his body.

"Are we decided on a course of action, then?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Merienda nods. "I think so. Headed to the mines. Might be it's a trap, but based on what we know, it doesn't seem too likely."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Once recovered, Daruk appears to be happy about going to the mines. He seems uneasy, though, when it comes to this enchanter figure. He has missed some of the conversation and tries to at leastget understanding of the core of the issue. "I fear we cannot afford this issue to go unresolved. This is a man that has abused you through his arcane powers, yes?" he asks Issarel. "If so, that is offensive and criminal on many levels, not to mention the danger that situation might pose for our mission." After some thinking, he adds: "Are you potentially still under control or surveillance....I don´t mean to offend by asking, but....is it safe to bring you along on our mission?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

A dead man planning a revolution, a mole in the group, and a mad enchanter wishing to make two of your own into his puppets all lay before you as the decision is made to follow the lead given by the "toilet demon" acting on behalf of Ryl if his word is to be believed. It still leaves a lot of unanswered questions, but with luck some of them may become clear when you arrive at the mines where it is said the cultists can be found.

After a quick breakfast downstairs you all depart from the west gate and follow the road. After about two miles the trail slowly begins to incline, with dips in the ground here and there, thankfully however the roads were built and as such the small inconvenience doesn't seem to slow any of you down to greatly.

Making good time through your travels you make it onto the mountain, though still rather low and covered in forest. No doubt without the road you wouldn't be able to find the trail. About an hour into the mountain pass you find a wagon tilted on its side, blood stains covering a great deal of it. What is surprising however is that it doesn't seem like anything was taken.

Show
    Any checks you wish to make is on you, I will not ask for anything.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Joshua walks over to the wagon. In front of one of the three dead bodies, he kneels down and tells the others, what he has examined so far: You see, they have no defending marks, they have to be caught off guard. But these black and blue spots here, he got hit by a blunt *thing*. Hard! But what really catches me, are the marks here, here and here. It seems like something very sharp made it, but I can't tell what kind of sword made such markings.

Let's see if we can identify these poor souls

Show
    looking, if they have any documents or sigil rings or so that helps identifying.