New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Transformers: Prime

I watched Season 1 of Transformers: Prime on Netflix and I'm going to tell my thoughts on the cartoon.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Transformers: Prime
    Show
    I saw Season 1 of Transformers: Prime and if everybody knows about the show, it's about two robotic teams wage war on Earth. The exalted Autobots versus the vile Decepticons. It's a good show even though they only have Season 1. The show ended with a cliffhanger leading when Optimus Prime and Megatron join forces against Unicron. The show isn't as great compared to other Transformers cartoons but it still a good cartoon overall. I'll give this show 4 out of 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Transformers: Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I watched Season 1 of Transformers: Prime on Netflix and I'm going to tell my thoughts on the cartoon.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Transformers: Prime
    Show
    I saw Season 1 of Transformers: Prime and if everybody knows about the show, it's about two robotic teams wage war on Earth. The exalted Autobots versus the vile Decepticons. It's a good show even though they only have Season 1. The show ended with a cliffhanger leading when Optimus Prime and Megatron join forces against Unicron. The show isn't as great compared to other Transformers cartoons but it still a good cartoon overall. I'll give this show 4 out of 5 stars.
    Interesting that you'd say it isn't great compared to other transformers series. Most people in the fandom I know place it in the top 3.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Interesting that you'd say it isn't great compared to other transformers series. Most people in the fandom I know place it in the top 3.
    Not all Transformers cartoon are perfect and great. The reason why it good because it has a few flaws.

Spoiler: The Flaws
    Show
    Such as the repetitive Megatron and Starscream dramatic leadership conflict.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Not all Transformers cartoon are perfect and great. The reason why it good because it has a few flaws.

Show
    What I mean is which series do you place above it? Since Prime is usually part of the holy trinity of Prime, Beast Wars, G1.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    What I mean is which series do you place above it? Since Prime is usually part of the holy trinity of Prime, Beast Wars, G1.
    1. Transformers G1
    2. Beast Wars
    3. Armada

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I thought it was neat they were able to bring back both Optimus Prime's and Megatron's original voice actors.

I didn't like what they did with Bumblebee, though. He was less a character, and more like a mascot.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    That's pretty much a requirement for being a Transformers series. If it doesn't appear its because one of the two is dead... and even if that IS the case that one of them is dead it doesn't follow the conflict is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I didn't like what they did with Bumblebee, though. He was less a character, and more like a mascot.
    Well that's the fault of the Michael Bay Transformer films, his bumblebee had a damaged voice box so the animated one had to have the same issue. Which makes conveying his character rather difficult.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I thought it was neat they were able to bring back both Optimus Prime's and Megatron's original voice actors.

Though, it did contribute to a feeling of it being a war story.

"Here is a major character. He is disabled due to injuries sustained in the conflict."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Muting Bumblebee was only very marginally better than muting Deadpool.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

So what was their reasoning for muting* Soundwave, the Decepticon with the most iconic voice in the entire franchise? That really bothered me, too.

(*Technically he does speak at least once, I think, but the vast majority of the series he doesn't say anything at all.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

So what was their reasoning for muting* Soundwave, the Decepticon with the most iconic voice in the entire franchise? That really bothered me, too.

(*Technically he does speak at least once, I think, but the vast majority of the series he doesn't say anything at all.)
    Vow of silence, in-universe. Out of universe? Who knows. I personally think that it really worked. As much as I live the traditional Soundwave voice, man, I love what I've seen of Prime Soundwave. He's ominous, effective, and there's just that sense of wrongness that voicelessness gives. He's implacable. You can't reason with him. You can't understand him. All you can do is try to slow him down.

I get why people wouldn't like it, but, man, the Prime incarnations of Soundwave and Shockwave are my favorite portrayals of them. (And Wheeljack gives his G1 counterpart a run for his money.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, man, don't even get me started on Wheeljack. In G1, he was one of my favorite characters. A brilliant engineer and scientist, always making wacky inventions that never quite worked as well as he wanted. But he was a bit mad, too. Like that time he made the Dinobots, just because he could, then realized he couldn't control them. Good times.

Prime Wheeljack is just another grizzled, one-liner spouting action hero. He was so...boring. I don't even know why they chose Wheeljack to fill that role. Seems like there are plenty of other options available they could have used instead. Wheeljack should be more Donatello than Raphael.

I realize I'm starting to sound like I hate this show, but I don't. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I just grew up watching G1 as a kid, so I have opinions. I'll try and list some positive things, though, to balance that out.

I absolutely loved Ratchet in this series. Casting Jeffrey Combs was a touch of genius. Although I might be biased, as I love everything Combs does.

Bringing back Peter Cullen for Optimus was also a smart move. Okay, to be fair, Optimus is a really boring character. He's perfect. He has no flaws and is basically built from the ground up out of ideals and principals. But hearing Cullen's voice talk about freedom being the right of all sentient beings makes me tear up, so I can't help but give him a huge pass (Prime's death in the 80's animated film messed me up as a kid. Now I openly expect him to die, sometimes multiple times.)

Bringing back Frank Welker for Megatron was great, too. He does sound different, but it's clear he's going for more of a menacing character. Really, that sums up the whole show. Prime really comes off as if it's trying to reboot G1 but way darker and grimmer. I mean, it's still a kid's show, so it can only go so far. But the series does open with Cliffjumper getting stabbed to death and bleeding energon all over the place, so...like, dang. But anyway, Megatron is actually kind of scary in this one. I wonder how many kids he gave nightmares to?

Nolan North as Smokescreen is great. But also weird. Mostly because I could only hear Nathan Drake whenever he talked. But also that they made Smokescreen the eager rookie who wants to prove himself, because that's Bumblebee's role. But Bumblebee is not a character in this series, just a mascot, so I guess they had to make a new Bumblebee. Ah, darn it, I went negative again.

Actually, this show had some amazing voice actors in it. Gina Torres, Kevin Michael Richardson, Daran Norris, Tony Todd, Peter Mensah, Michael Ironside, George--friggin--Takei. Honestly, I found myself surprised how many voices I recognized. Hell, they even got The Rock to play Cliffjumper. I mean, they immediately killed him off, probably because they couldn't afford him for the whole series, but still.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I will be honest in that I've not seen the whole thing (just bits and pieces of it here and there), so I probably do not have the full picture. But I didn't mind a Wheeljack who's more willing to get up close and personal, and he seemed to have his own personal combat vehicle - that's something I rather liked. Field testing his own stuff. It's a shame if they took out all of the science bits, though. If that's the case, then, yeah, missed opportunity.

Yeah, in general, Optimus does tend to be rather boring, as a character. But he's important in the way of how he causes everyone else to act, to interact with him. You need someone willing to be that beacon, and he does it so well.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Bringing back Peter Cullen for Optimus was also a smart move. Okay, to be fair, Optimus is a really boring character. He's perfect. He has no flaws and is basically built from the ground up out of ideals and principals. But hearing Cullen's voice talk about freedom being the right of all sentient beings makes me tear up, so I can't help but give him a huge pass (Prime's death in the 80's animated film messed me up as a kid. Now I openly expect him to die, sometimes multiple times.).
    This is why Animated is the best one, because Optimus is largely that because he's still young, idealistic, and missed all the nasty stuff that happened in the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Though, it did contribute to a feeling of it being a war story.

"Here is a major character. He is disabled due to injuries sustained in the conflict."
    Animated still did it better, with their version of Ratchet having PTSD.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-08-17 at 10:46 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    This is why Animated is the best one, because Optimus is largely that because he's still young, idealistic, and missed all the nasty stuff that happened in the war.

Animated still did it better, with their version of Ratchet having PTSD.
    I don't think I saw Animated, which would be an issue. Any idea where it might be streaming?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16

Flumph

It’s on Amazon but not Prime ironically.

Animated deviates quite a lot from the standard Transformers setup. The war was millennia ago and the Autobots won, the main characters are a low level engineering crew working on civilian infrastructure when they encounter the Decepticons in hiding and they crash on Earth, and as the series goes on it becomes more obvious that some principles might have been compromised to win that war.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2019-08-17 at 11:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I tried to watch Animated, but I couldn't get very far. I think I made it, maybe 5-6 episodes in. It was just too kiddy. (And I don't mean that as a criticism; it's a kid's show, after all. I just couldn't enjoy it personally.) Plus, Optimus Prime has lips. It really creeped me out. I don't even know why.

18. - Top - End - #18

Flumph

Yes it’s a kids show, but it respects it’s audience.

The concepts underlying what happens become more complex as the series progresses.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I actually like Transformers Animated and it's great.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Yes it’s a kids show, but it respects it’s audience.

The concepts underlying what happens become more complex as the series progresses.
    That's what I heard, which is why I stuck with it as long as I could. I'm not sure when the complex stuff starts up, but I didn't make it that far.

Maybe some day I'll give it another chance.

21. - Top - End - #21

Flumph

You probably have to make it into season two at least but what US TV show isn’t that true of?

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm on the third episode (it's on Tubi, so ad-supported but free). It's not bad. It's not fantastic, but it is definitely a kids show... aiming at the 8-12 demographic, more than the 13-15
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

You probably have to make it into season two at least but what US TV show isn’t that true of?
    Seems to be how it works, anymore. Season 1 is the pitch to the studio and some low-risk low ball adventures to make studio mandated focus groups happy. Season 2 they get given confidence to drift a bit, Season 3 Things Might Get Wierd.

Transformers Animated starts hitting it stride once the Allspark fragments and other Transformers become more frequent.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.