New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Robe of the Archmagi derivatives

I've planned out weaker variants of the Robe of the Archmagi for each rarity category from uncommon on up. I welcome input regarding whether or not they are appropriate for their rarity.

Robe of the Street Magician
    Wondrous item, Uncommon, (Requires attunement by a Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard)

While wearing this robe, you gain the following benefits:
    • When you do not have advantage nor disadvantage, you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws against spells & other magical effects.
    • Your spell attack bonus increases by 1.

Robe of the Magic Virtuoso
    Wondrous item, Rare, (Requires attunement by a Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard)

• If you aren't wearing armor, your base AC is 11 + your Dexterity modifier.
    • When you do not have advantage nor disadvantage, you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against spells & other magical effects.
    • Your spell save DC & spell attack bonus each increase by 1.

Robe of the Magic Maestro
    Wondrous item, Very Rare, (Requires attunement by a Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard)

• If you aren't wearing armor, your base AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier.
    • When you do not have advantage nor disadvantage, you gain a +3 bonus to saving throws against spells & other magical effects.
    • Your spell attack bonus increases by 2.
    • Your spell save DC bonus increase by 1.

With the above I am mainly only concerned with power vs rarity. I have also have though up variants fit for monks, which I expect to be more controversial:

Gi of the Martial Artist
    Wondrous item, Uncommon, (Requires attunement by a Monk)

• If you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield, your base Armor Class is 11 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.
    • You have advantage on Dexterity saving throws.

Gi of the Disciplined Warrior
    Wondrous item, Rare, (Requires attunement by a Monk)

• If you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield, your base Armor Class is 12 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.
    • You have advantage on Strength & Dexterity saving throws.
    • Your Ki save DC increases by 1 for all your ki abilities except Quivering Palm.

Gi of the Master
    Wondrous item, Very Rare, (Requires attunement by a Monk)

• If you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield, your base Armor Class is 13 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.
    • You have advantage on Strength, Dexterity, & Constitution saving throws.
    • Your Ki save DC increases by 1 for all your ki abilities except Quivering Palm.

Gi of the Enlightened Sage
    Wondrous item, Legendary, (Requires attunement by a Monk)

• If you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield, your base Armor Class is either 12 + your Dexterity modifier + double your Wisdom modifier.
    • You have advantage on Strength, Dexterity, & Constitution saving throws.
    • Your Ki save DC increases by 2 for all your ki abilities except Quivering Palm.

Keep in mind the properties of the Legendary version are basically lifted straight from the DMG's Robe of the Archmagi (RotA) & reflavored to fit a Monk.

I imagine many people will see a problem with adding so much AC to a Monk; although, personally, I don't see why when adding a similar boost to any other class is already considered generally acceptable, as exemplified by the RotA itself.

However, I do see what I consider to possibly be a more significant balance issue in that Con + Dex throws includes the majority of saving throws. Again drawing parallels to RotA, all magical effects also probably includes the majority of saving throws. The idea was to take the advantage on all magical effects saves of RotA & translate it into advantage vs physical effects. I'm not sure how to quantify whether or not this comes out to equal power. I feel as though the answer to that probably varies wildly between different DMs &/or campaigns, but if the entire community feels that advantage on Con + Dex saves is definitely more powerful than advantage on all magical effect saves, then I would choose just one.

Moreover, is excluding Quivering Palm from the DC bonus the right thing to do?? It's easy to see how 1HKOing the BBEG would be too much. I guess that's what Legendary Resistance is for, but still I can't help but feel the potential for it to be exploited could be anticlimactic, antitactical, & antifun. However, if that property weren't too apply to QP then it certainly wouldn't be on par with +2 spell attack & save DC. Perhaps I could say this deficit makes up for the potential for higher AC & more successful saves compared to RotA.

All feedback welcome. Also taking suggestions for similar holes that need filling, either in the magic items list or other aspects of the game.
    Last edited by Zazamori; 2019-08-17 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Changed some stuff