The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 91
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    It was a chilly night, wind whipping about the boughs of the gargantuan trees of the many forests about the land, sweeping through the valleys and hills, rushing in a gale past the dim lights of street lamps as they guttered in their posts. It was a fateful wind, what came to the city of Lao-Seth, and it would signal the change of many things.
    Our story begins as this wind passes the faces of two individuals, slated to become intertwined in the many days ahead. They sit on the pier, overlooking the impossible submersible vessels that the people of the lake utilize to reach the underwater tunnelways that lead to so many strange and far off places.

    Spoiler: Elyna's Perspective
    Show

    You were searching the docks for barnacle slugs and spirilic crabs as part of an experiment you had wanted to run and thinking about a dream that you had had last night. There was a massive symbol where the sun should be, and from it, order radiated like light. Beneath, the earth was a shapeless mass of clay, vibrating slowly and arythmically. When you spoke, your words floated up into the symbol and fell down into the earth alike. In your dreaming, you spoke of the fate of the cosmos, but when you awoke, you could remember no more than a vague gesture.
    You were just about to pick a fat spiral of crab out of the water beneath the dock and add it to your basket full of them when you bumped into a lithe elven figure. His eyes shine with a green light, and on his left forearm is the symbol you saw in the sky of your dream...


    Spoiler: Hand of Fate's Perspective
    Show

    IMPERATIVE: FIND THE GODLING
    Mission status: In flux. you have searched for 30 lunar cycles across the city, and though some gods call this place home, no new gods have shown themselves.

    Current Affairs: You were scavenging the pier once more, looking for signs of deific activity, when you bumped head-first into a young Samsaran with a basket full of slugs and crabs, nearly spilling the contents of the basket onto both of you...


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    "Oops, sorry." Elyna said reflexively, before apparently deciding it couldn't be her fault - obviously - and puffing up angrily. Or at least, trying to give that impression, with no more success than a kitten would have had: instead of feeling threatened, the only reaction most people would have would be to think her cute. "Err, no, I mean, hey, be careful, can't you see me?"

    Her eyes drawn to the man's tattoo, the girl frowned and a second later, she was waving one of her spirilic crabs under his nose. "Who are you? No never mind that, what's that?" With the hand holding the crab, she indicated the tattoo. "Not the tattoo, the symbol?"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Flickering into view, the Hand of Fate appears. His form is that of what appears to be a tall, golden elf, lean, yet with well defined muscles. His eyes are pure white, yet seem to give off a pale blue radiance. His skin is odd in that it seems to fade at the edges, flowing into a glow formed into esoteric mathematical equations. In his right hand is a large, ornate and imposing scythe, bearing a similar mark as his tattoo.

    As he regards this woman in front of him, he states, "I am but a servant of Fate, one who is tasked with ensuring it flows in it's proper order. As for the symbol, it is the mark of those who serve fate and are devoted to its purpose. My mission is to ensure the next Godling meets his or her purpose. It would seem that by stumbling into me, fate has chosen you, as I have been here for quite some time and you are the first person to even come close to finding me."
    He kneels down on both knees and bows nearly to full prostration, as a sign of devotion to this new path as it interacts with his own personal Wyrd.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-17 at 10:11 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    For a while, Elyna opened and closed her mouth without a sound coming out of it, obviously unable to process what had just happened. After a moment, she rubbed her eyes tiredly and grumbled. "Can you get back on your feet please? You're going to draw attention to us like that..." She tossed the crab she had in her hand back in its basket, which was the only thing she had on her, though some kind of tool picked out of it. "And I didn't find you, I... no, you bumped into me." With a grimace, she rubbed the tender flesh where that contact had hit. "Plus, do I look like a 'Godling' to you?"

    She spread her arms to the side, inviting the man in front of her to get a good look. She was wearing simple clothes, obviously well worn even though it wasn't the bad kind of worn, but the one favored clothes took when picked too often. Surprisingly, they were clean despite multiple layers of mud on the girl's hands and a drop or two that somehow managed to reach her cheeks and made a stark contrast to her eyes, solid white with no trace of pupils or irises.

    Despite that, she looked flawless, her face perfectly symmetrical, her skin albeit of an unusual light blue color was spotless. At just shy of two meters she was really tall, especially for a girl barely looking more than fifteen, and thin with a willowy build, but it worked for her. Though of course, her long light blue hair tied in a ponytail reaching down to her thigh kind of marred things a bit, looking like it could really use a good - and long - brushing session.

    "Anyway..." She looked once again at the tattoo, frowning, and mumbled. "Fate? That doesn't make sense..." She looked up at the man to ask. "Is there some kind of alternate sense if associated with the sun?"

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    "Fate does not make mistakes . . . well not mistakenly. It does make mistakes, but only when there needs to be a mistake. Every mistake made is fated to be so, yet fate itself is not mistaken." The Hand continues talking, seeming to try to dig himself out of the verbal and existential dilemma he just presented. He disliked speaking in the Common tongue as it packed the necessary phrasing.

    After a while, he returns focus to the Samsaran woman. He says, "Your moon has completed it's cycle 30 times since I have been here, and I have remained completely undetected and completely free of mishaps such as when you bumped into me. That on its own should indicate the portent I have just presented you with."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    "Hmm..." Elyna didn't look convinced. "Or maybe you grew bored and subconsciously put yourself on my path? From where I stand, you're as likely to be right as to be... Err... Not right." in the head, but that wouldnt have been something nice to say to someone who hadn't given her cause to be mean. Plus... Even if she didn't really like to think about it... Well... She had to admit that she fit the description of a godling rather well, at least as far as power level was concerned. Given that she was kind of an open book, her thoughts were easy enough to follow.

    Still... After a second, she frowned. "I'm not sure I like your definition of Fate though. You make it sound like everything is preordained and that we effectively have no say into how things will play out. I very much intend to make my own path, to be in control of my future." She tapped her lips pensive. "I don't know what would be worse, that our actions would be predefined or that no matter what we'd do the end result would be already set..."

    She squinted suspiciously. "Unless yours is the kind that spews meaningless prophecies that don't mean anything but no matter what happens can be interpreted as if it was right all along? There's a whole street for stuff like that over there..." She waved one hand in a rather vague direction towards the city. Well... Except that... There was that godling thing, so...

    The girl shook her head. "Nevermind that. As far as my purpose goes, you're going to be bored pretty soon, I don't have any big plans." Which wasn't to say that she didn't have any of course. "And I doubt you're here to see what I'm going to do with this." She lifted her basket to emphasise her point.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    "The existence of Fate is independent upon whether you "like" it or not. As for anything preordained, well, you still have choice. Fate does not necessarily supercede or render it irrelevant, but rather works in tandem. The choice is yours, and when it is made (or not made), it directs fate to the next such intersection. I believe this would be a concept shared by many of your ilk, young Samsaran, following the wheel of Karma."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Elyna snorted. "I'm too young to have unlocked many memories of the past, and since you've apparently spent so long around here, you can probably tell that there aren't many Samsarans around."

    After a second, she shrugged. "Karma is not Fate. Karma is the product of one's actions, something some of us build over many lifetimes. I think. In fact, you could almost say that karma has nothing to do with Fate. One or the other though, there is a difference in acknowledging the role of luck, fate, destiny or however you want to call it, and surrendering to it. One is perfectly fine, the other is not." She frowned. "Or at least, I'm not fine with it."

    "If there are choices, and I'm the only one to make - or not make - them as the case might be..." she shrugged. "I guess I'm fine with it, but it suspiciously sounds as simple cause and effect then, which is another thing entirely."

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    ​The moon docks itself into the nestled tree line, the shaky wind-sea of the far off hills silhouetted in the blackness of the night and the rich light of that celestial globe. Beneath the moon, the waters chop errantly at the docks, churned and moved by a thousand underwater portals and their navigable terrains.
    The winds blow down south on Rae Anon Street, and with them the two carry on, discussing the cosmological mystery and walking down the dock beside the street, where even now some carts still pass, horsedrawn and lanternlit in the darkness. The two pass Trigintus Avenue when each simultaneously notice something...

    Spoiler: Elyna's Perspective
    Show

    You'd been walking with the strange elf talking "cosmic politics" (as morality is known in the city to be called), when you notice a beggar, huddled in the corner between an overflowing trash can and a bench. He whispers as you pass, just so loud as you can hear "Spare a coin for an old beggar?"
    He looks gaunt and frail in a tattered tunic with rotten-soled shoes. His fingernails are yellowed and jagged.
    Roll me a will saving throw.


    Spoiler: The Hand of Fate's Perspective
    Show

    Something is amiss. There is chaos here, you can smell it.
    Suddenly you hear a voice in your mind, "Get Lost Law-Licker. This one is mine."
    The godling is talking to a beggar beside you. Could it be...them?
    Spoiler: The Hand of Fate's Perspective
    Show
    He looks gaunt and frail in a tattered tunic with rotten-soled shoes. His fingernails are yellowed and jagged.
    Roll me a will saving throw.
    Last edited by Bobbyjackcorn; 2019-08-17 at 05:56 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Elyna glanced at the beggar then shook her head slightly. "I'm sorry, I don't have my purse with me." She lifted her basket for a second. "All I have is this and the crabs it contains." Well, crabs and slugs, but it didn't change much, right? There was no way she was going to part with her trusty multi-tool. "You should be careful though, it's late to do this...."

    Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+3)[20]

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Stopping suddenly, the Hand puts his, er, hand on the Samsaran woman. "Hold! Something is amiss!" He grips his scythe more tightly.

    Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    HoF's Will (1d20+7)[25] + spending mythic power for a surge (1d8)[8]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    The thick waft of magic fills the air, acrid like gunsmoke and perfume. The body of the old beggar morphs into a form more lithe and full of muscle. His ragged hair folds down in midnight sheets of velum like hair, and from his head sprout two horns. His eyes, once beshadowed by his downcast face are now shining in the moonlight like two glittering serpent's eyes.
    "Back off fledgling, Fate isn't the only one who has plans for the girl."

    Turning to Elyna, he hops to his feet, unfurling wings out from the small of his back. Batlike Wings.
    His skin is a deep blue in the moonlight.
    "Don't let me frighten you, I meant to find you here alone. I have searched for you, I have crossed the skies looking for signs of your power. You see..."
    He holds up his hand, and mythic power surges through it, forming into a conflagration that spews out above it and into the air, dispersed but for ash of errant birds on their ill fated night sojourns above.
    "I am God-Kin too. That is why you must come with me. He can't show you the ropes, but I can."

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Elyna frowned as she looked at the hand on her, apparently not particularly pleased by it. She was however even less pleased by what happened next, as she coughed and waved her hand in front of her face to disperse the terrible smell. She took a step back to breathe, then crossed her arms under her breasts. "Maybe you should both consider that I might not care about either of your plans, and that I'm not some piece of meat you should fight over?"

    While she seemed to include both in her speech, she still kept the Hand between her and the other in front of her: she wasn't all that fond of this Fate of his, but she was even less so of the demon particularly when he burned some birds to ashes just to demonstrate his power. "Plus, if you merely wanted to show me the ropes as you say, why wouldn't you be able to do it here? She looked up with a grimace. "Except for the fact that everyone in the city knows something is going on right now of course..."

    Spoiler: Identify the protagonists
    Show

    While it didn't matter all that much to Elyna before, she's going to try to identify who the two of them are. Or more precisely, what they are.
    If it's possible to take 10, that'd be a 23 in Knowledge [Planes].

    If it's not: (1d20+13)[33]

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Removing his hand from Elyna's shoulder, the Hand grasps his Scythe with both hands, readying himself for battle.

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative roll (1d20+11)[28]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Elyna frowned as she looked at the hand on her, apparently not particularly pleased by it. She was however even less pleased by what happened next, as she coughed and waved her hand in front of her face to disperse the terrible smell. She took a step back to breathe, then crossed her arms under her breasts. "Maybe you should both consider that I might not care about either of your plans, and that I'm not some piece of meat you should fight over?"

    While she seemed to include both in her speech, she still kept the Hand between her and the other in front of her: she wasn't all that fond of this Fate of his, but she was even less so of the demon particularly when he burned some birds to ashes just to demonstrate his power. "Plus, if you merely wanted to show me the ropes as you say, why wouldn't you be able to do it here? She looked up with a grimace. "Except for the fact that everyone in the city knows something is going on right now of course..."

    Spoiler: Identify the protagonists
    Show

    While it didn't matter all that much to Elyna before, she's going to try to identify who the two of them are. Or more precisely, what they are.
    If it's possible to take 10, that'd be a 23 in Knowledge [Planes].

    If it's not: [roll0]
    Spoiler: Knowledge Planes Result
    Show
    Knowledge Planes, 33: The Hand is a burgeoning Axiomite, denizens of the lawful neutral planes whose spirits are resolute in their adherence to Cosmic Law. From his size and physical dimensions you can figure that he is from the Null plane of Axis, bearing no taint of positive or negative energy.
    The demon standing before you is an incubus, although larger in size and stature than typical incubi. From the thick musculature and long limbs you would reckon he is from the additive chaotic evil plane, "The Slideways." It is a land of perpetually expanding webs of flesh, being gnawed on and acidically consuming in turn its denizens.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Removing his hand from Elyna's shoulder, the Hand grasps his Scythe with both hands, readying himself for battle.

    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative roll [roll0]
    Spoiler: Initiative Outcome
    Show
    Enemy Initiative result:19.
    You pull your scythe up and at the ready before the Incubus has time to react.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    The Hand seems to attack in a flash, as he moves towards the target, slashing at it in a sweeping arc with his wickedly sharp blade.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Moves to engage target.
    Power Attack with Scythe (1d20+9)[11]
    Crit? (1d20+9)[25]
    Damage is (2d4+14)[19]
    If Crit, add (6d4+42)[59] to damage.
    Due to Punishing Blow, deactivates any Regeneration (unless there is nothing that can bypass it (such as the Terrasque) or Fast Healing until the beginning of my next turn.

    The Incubus should be flat-footed until he takes his first combat action, so not bothering with Invisibility yet. Not the most efficient or aggressive action I can take, but not sure about overall threat level
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-18 at 09:52 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    "What the!?" Elyna's eyes widened noticeably, not having expected a fight to break out like that. Suddenly, almost as soon as the Hand attacked, without anything leading to it she disappeared nowhere to be seen or heard, while the weird flying assemblage of minerals and gemstone went up and to one side.

    Spoiler: Elyna's familiar
    Show




    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    1) As a free action, Elyna uses Prescience: (1d20)[1]. She'll be able to replace any one roll before her next turn with it if she wants.
    2) Elyna casts Augmented Mythic Invisibility. She uses Wild Arcana to do so as it wasn't prepared, which transforms the spell into an SLA (so no need for speech, somatic or gesture components) and increases the CL by 2 (duration 5 minutes). She also uses Mythic Spellpower to cast it, which means she doesn't spend any Mythic Power.
    After that, she moves a bit away to not be under the two outsiders' feet, ordering her familiar to take a slightly different path (same rough direction, but not the exact same or invisibility would be useless...)
    She is concerned the demon brought friends, which is why she doesn't want to go too far. Should it be necessary: Elyna's perception (low light vision) (1d20+4)[24], Familiar's Perception (blindsight 30ft) (1d20+3)[7]

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    The Hand seems to attack in a flash, as he moves towards the target, slashing at it in a sweeping arc with his wickedly sharp blade.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Moves to engage target.
    Power Attack with Scythe [roll0]
    Crit? [roll1]
    Damage is [roll2]
    If Crit, add [roll3] to damage.
    Due to Punishing Blow, deactivates any Regeneration (unless there is nothing that can bypass it (such as the Terrasque) or Fast Healing until the beginning of my next turn.

    The Incubus should be flat-footed until he takes his first combat action, so not bothering with Invisibility yet. Not the most efficient or aggressive action I can take, but not sure about overall threat level

    The blade of the scythe slides across the air like a knife through hot butter, swinging fast and loose on the edge of an arc. The incubus side steps the blade, dodging with a grace as yet unseen.


    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    "What the!?" Elyna's eyes widened noticeably, not having expected a fight to break out like that. Suddenly, almost as soon as the Hand attacked, without anything leading to it she disappeared nowhere to be seen or heard, while the weird flying assemblage of minerals and gemstone went up and to one side.

    Spoiler: Elyna's familiar
    Show




    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    1) As a free action, Elyna uses Prescience: [roll0]. She'll be able to replace any one roll before her next turn with it if she wants.
    2) Elyna casts Augmented Mythic Invisibility. She uses Wild Arcana to do so as it wasn't prepared, which transforms the spell into an SLA (so no need for speech, somatic or gesture components) and increases the CL by 2 (duration 5 minutes). She also uses Mythic Spellpower to cast it, which means she doesn't spend any Mythic Power.
    After that, she moves a bit away to not be under the two outsiders' feet, ordering her familiar to take a slightly different path (same rough direction, but not the exact same or invisibility would be useless...)
    She is concerned the demon brought friends, which is why she doesn't want to go too far. Should it be necessary: Elyna's perception (low light vision) [roll1], Familiar's Perception (blindsight 30ft) [roll2]
    Elyna vanishes, moving silently back from the two aligned outsiders and readying her beautifully encrusted wyrd. She looks frantically left and right for signs of the demon's possible allies. Suddenly, she notices two piles of garbage by the trash bin moving. Two creatures, gaunt but well muscled humanoids with the heads of shaggy goats.

    Spoiler: The Enemy's Turn
    Show

    The Incubus slashes his hands through the air, forming a rusted scimitar as they fly into motion. It strikes twice, the first sliding between the plates of the Breastplate of the Hand, but stopping shy of the naturally thick hide of the denizen of Law. The second splashes rusty bits of metal and sparks off the surface of the breastplate.
    The two goat-headed monsters emerging from the trash hop out, back up, and bum rush the Hand with reckless abandon. Both narrowly miss him. The incubus shouts something harsh in a bubbling, blistering language.
    Spoiler: Language: Abyssal
    Show
    " Find the girl, grab her and get her back to the King of Dust! Don't waste time with this worthless Lawlicker, leave that to me!"



    And So the turn comes round again.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Suddenly out-manned and with the Samsaran woman disappearing, the Hand decides to stop holding back. He summons his power to vanish so as to allow fate to act unseen. He then resumes his onslaught against the Incubus, this time his blade moves unseen. He decides to ocus on these enemies for the time being, as fate will lead him back to his charge one way or another.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    The Hand expends mythic power to not only become invisible, but act as if under greater Invisibility for 10 rounds. (I used an immediate action for Absorb Blow I assume, so becoming invisible would consume a move action instead).

    Power Attack vs Incubus, expending legendary power from my weapon for Unstoppable Strike (negates armor/natural armor, etc. Coupled with invis, it should reduce his AC to 10).
    (1d20+9)[27]
    Crit? (1d20+9)[21]
    Damage (2d4+14)[21]
    If Crit, add (6d4+42)[60]

    Since the Hand has not otherwise moved, he takes a 5 ft step (free action) back, out of melee range after his attack
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-19 at 11:55 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Elyna hesitated for a moment: on the one hand, she didn't want to leave the Axiomite alone to deal with the demons. On the other... she was far from ready to be able to help. The main problem was that she'd need a full minute if she wanted the whole array of defences, which was probably far too long. Something to consider for the future to be sure, but for now, she basically had two choices: wait and hope... or act...and hope.

    With a grimace, she moved in such a way that she'd be able to cast an Ear-Piercing Scream on the two goat-like demons at least, the incubus if she could, but avoiding the Axiomite, then cast her spell, hoping to at least disable the two goat demons. She wouldn't cry if the Incubus fell for it though...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Free Action: Once again, a Prediction, hopefully a better one: (1d20)[3]
    Move Action: move in such a way that a 30-foot cone hits as many of the demons as possible while avoiding the Hand
    Standard Action: Cast Mythic Augmented Ear-Piercing Scream. I'll make it Potent to increase the DC by 2. So that's (2d8)[11] sonic damage and be Dazzed for 5 rounds, with a Fortitude Save DC 20 to halve damage and negate Dazzed condition. And while it's a spell I have prepared, I'll cast it with Mythic Spellpower to avoid MP cost and Wild Arcana, because...

    There's some Spell Resistance to overcome apparently. I have CL = 3, augmented by +2 for SR checks with Potent, and another +2 with Wild Arcana so:
    - Incubus: (1d20+7)[14]
    - Goat Demon 1: (1d20+7)[8]
    - Goat Demon 2: (1d20+7)[27]
    If needed, I'll replace one of those three rolls with the Prediction one.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Suddenly out-manned and with the Samsaran woman disappearing, the Hand decides to stop holding back. He summons his power to vanish so as to allow fate to act unseen. He then resumes his onslaught against the Incubus, this time his blade moves unseen. He decides to ocus on these enemies for the time being, as fate will lead him back to his charge one way or another.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    The Hand expends mythic power to not only become invisible, but act as if under greater Invisibility for 10 rounds. (I used an immediate action for Absorb Blow I assume, so becoming invisible would consume a move action instead).

    Power Attack vs Incubus, expending legendary power from my weapon for Unstoppable Strike (negates armor/natural armor, etc. Coupled with invis, it should reduce his AC to 10).
    [roll0]
    Crit? [roll1]
    Damage [roll2]
    If Crit, add [roll3]

    Since the Hand takes a 5 ft step (free action) back, out of melee range after his attack
    The Hand steps into the land-between-sight, slicing as he goes with reckless abandon and willful strength. A mighty slash forms across the incubus's flesh and black ichor spews from the wretched creature's wound.
    The action turns to Elyna, invisible and standing before the four outsiders as they do battle in the street. In the distance a bell is tolling out fast and shrill. ashes still rain from the sky like grey petals from a mighty dying tree.
    The shaggy, goat-headed creatures bleet and gaze around with wild eyes...

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Imladir View Post
    Elyna hesitated for a moment: on the one hand, she didn't want to leave the Axiomite alone to deal with the demons. On the other... she was far from ready to be able to help. The main problem was that she'd need a full minute if she wanted the whole array of defences, which was probably far too long. Something to consider for the future to be sure, but for now, she basically had two choices: wait and hope... or act...and hope.

    With a grimace, she moved in such a way that she'd be able to cast an Ear-Piercing Scream on the two goat-like demons at least, the incubus if she could, but avoiding the Axiomite, then cast her spell, hoping to at least disable the two goat demons. She wouldn't cry if the Incubus fell for it though...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Free Action: Once again, a Prediction, hopefully a better one: [roll0]
    Move Action: move in such a way that a 30-foot cone hits as many of the demons as possible while avoiding the Hand
    Standard Action: Cast Mythic Augmented Ear-Piercing Scream. I'll make it Potent to increase the DC by 2. So that's [roll1] sonic damage and be Dazzed for 5 rounds, with a Fortitude Save DC 20 to halve damage and negate Dazzed condition. And while it's a spell I have prepared, I'll cast it with Mythic Spellpower to avoid MP cost and Wild Arcana, because...

    There's some Spell Resistance to overcome apparently. I have CL = 3, augmented by +2 for SR checks with Potent, and another +2 with Wild Arcana so:
    - Incubus: [roll2]
    - Goat Demon 1: [roll3]
    - Goat Demon 2: [roll4]
    If needed, I'll replace one of those three rolls with the Prediction one.
    The demons roil back, the incubus and goat-headed creatures covering their bleeding ears with their clawed hands and screeching/bleating a terrible cacophany of sound as the wave of screaming energy blasts them. Unfortunately, the hearty demons shrug off the worst of the spellcraft.

    Then it comes to their turn.

    The Incubus sprays a purple mist from his mouth wildly across the dock street, but without knowing where his opponents are, he misses both with his effect.

    Both of the goat-headed creatures bleat angrily and ram through open spaces at the sides of the Incubus, trying to hit the Hand. Both too would strike, if the Hand were not so nimble as to dodge away at the last moment, causing them to bash their heads together, locking horns for a raging moment before resuming their hunt.

    In the distance, the sound of a ringing bell grows steadily louder.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Hoping to remove these agents of entropy, the Hand focuses on his divine conviction and devotion to order and fate to empower him. He then moves around to the side of the Incubus, coming down again with his scythe, hopefully finishing the job.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Activates Judgment - Destruction (+2 sacred bonus to damage rolls)
    Moves to the side and slightly behind the Incubus for another attack (does not use unstoppable strike again yet).
    Power Attack (1d20+9)[29]
    Crit? (1d20+9)[22]
    Damage (2d4+16)[21]
    If Crit, add [/roll]6d4+48[/roll] damage

    Edit - due to a typo, I rolled the crit damage on the OoC. It added 62 damage, for a total of 83
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2019-08-19 at 05:43 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Hoping to remove these agents of entropy, the Hand focuses on his divine conviction and devotion to order and fate to empower him. He then moves around to the side of the Incubus, coming down again with his scythe, hopefully finishing the job.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Activates Judgment - Destruction (+2 sacred bonus to damage rolls)
    Moves to the side and slightly behind the Incubus for another attack (does not use unstoppable strike again yet).
    Power Attack [roll0]
    Crit? [roll1]
    Damage [roll2]
    If Crit, add [/roll]6d4+48[/roll] damage

    Edit - due to a typo, I rolled the crit damage on the OoC. It added 62 damage, for a total of 83
    The Hand slices with wanton abandon at the unaware Incubus, and abyssal gore splatters the street. He reels back, "You haven't seen the last of me you bastard! A scar welting over his diced up face. He steps five feet back, and disappears. The Goatmen scatter to the four winds.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Elyna grumbled, obviously displeased by the effects of her spell. For a moment, she considered shooting the fleeing demons down but in the end decided against it as it would create even more of a mess.

    For a second, she turned her head in the direction of the bells, then looked back at the Hand. "We should leave now, I'm pretty sure you don't want to answer the questions the people coming are going to ask."

    The girl looked towards her familiar who came back and preceded her as she appeared ready to leave the area and resume her walk, albeit at an increased pace compared to before that encounter.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Not sure who the Samsaran is speaking to, the Hand reappears off to her side. However, he nods and decides her chosen course of action is prudent, and so he follows.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    The two run through the streets, the sounds of clatterings of guards slowly becoming a more common and closer occurrence. Behind, ahead, around, the noise of armored men moving through the streets comes from everywhere.
    "Over here!" shouts a guard as he passes right past the invisible duo, pointing instead to an alleyway with the outlines of the shadow of a goat-shaped head give away the secret hiding place of one of the Goatmen. Several other guards approach, and as the two slink off, they can still hear the sounds of clattering metal, and bleating anguish.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Considering for a moment that it might be better to take care of those two agents of chaos, but he realizes his duty is to guide the chosen one. So, he keeps his eyes on his charge as he tries to follow as best as possible.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    As she walked in the streets, Elyna looked around with a frown, obviously trying to spot someone and not liking being unable to. She thoroughly disliked that feeling of knowing that someone was shadowing her but she couldn't do much of anything about it, especially considering that her own invisibility had dropped when she had cast her spell to try to stop the demons - and even if it hadn't, it wouldn't have lasted until that point anyway.

    At some point though, with all the guards running around, it became clear she would have to take some measures to avoid being stopped herself. To avoid that, she cast another invisibility while her familiar - Marble - went straight up and disappeared in the night with instructions to get back to inn where she had a room. As for herself, she used her knowledge of the city to take advantage of the five minutes of invisibility the spell afforded her to slip away and disappear by taking a completely different path. She didn't have much against the Hand, but she really didn't want to follow anyone's plans but her own.

    Which... Well, it would have to start with her deciding on what those plans were going to be in the first place...

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Elyna uses Wild Arcana and three MP to cast an Augmented Mythic Invisibility, which means for five minute she's pretty much completely impossible to detect.
    She'll use that and her local knowledge to take another path back to her inn.

    The idea is probably once there to write a note and send her familiar to take it to her moms, but I'll stop this message here in case something happens.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (I.C) Secrets of the Lake of 1,000 Waters

    Overhearing Elyna's discussion with her familiar, the Hand proceeds to the aforementioned inn, to wait for her. Qhileysome danger might befall his charge, he has faith in fate that she will find him again, and besides, her magic is, at least in the confines of the city, more than capable of protecting her.

    While waiting, he consults fate to determine a course of action.

    Spoiler: Augury
    Show
    In terms of guiding his charge to her fate, would it be beneficial if the Hand went to pursue the goatmen before she arrives at the inn?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •