New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Mage armor/ Shield for duskblade?

So I want to do a duskblade 5/Abj. Champion 5/ Duskblade 10 build. However from what I can see Duskblade doesn't have any spells that grant an armor or shield bonus, so they can't benefit from abjurant armor, precocious apprentice misses both mage armor and it's greater version, so what can I do to get these types of spells? are there cleric domains that grant it? any help is appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Mage armor/ Shield for duskblade?

Dip a level?
    Yes, there are cleric domains, but i wouldn't.

Mage armor isn't an abjuration?

I assume you want your bab and duskblade caster level as high as possible. I don't know any way to get those spells on your duskblade list, but a dip in sorcerer/wiz 1 would get you both spells. If you found some spells to spam at caster level 19 it might be cool.

But you can't cast them in armor?

Beguiler 1 adds only mage armor, but also adds silent image, detect secret doors, whelm, and undetectable alignment (abj)
    Last edited by bean illus; 2019-08-16 at 04:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Mage Armor is a Conjuration spell, anyway, not Abjuration. So even if you got access to it, it wouldn't work.

You could take Arcane Preparation and be Exalted Good in order to cast Luminous Armor (and its Greater version) as Sanctified spells. They are, as long as stealth isn't an issue, strictly speaking better than Mage Armor.

You can get Shield by way of Ring of Theurgy, I think, but only once until someone has to refill your ring for you... so that's not great.

The lack of good abjuration spell protection in the ABJURANT CHAMPION prc was always kind of a facepalm, especially since the mention of Mage Armor in specific was a whups.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Extra Spell feat might work, ask your DM.

Likewise, you could engage in spell research (talk to your DM). Also you could research a spell that's the same as Mage Armour but is of the Abjuration school.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Abjurant Champion doesn't benefit Mage Armor as it's not an abjuration. Luminous Armor and the greater version in BoED benefit from it though, anyone good-aligned who prepares spells can cast sanctified spells. Spend a feat on Arcane Preparation and you can cast those, and get a Rod of Bodily Restoration to fix the Str damage that occurs when the spell ends.

Another option is to take Magical Training in PGtF for a few 0-level spell slots and a spellbook in which you've scribed a few 0-level spells to prepare in those. Per the Rules Compendium, since you cast spells from a spellbook, you can learn new spells and add them to your spellbook via a method identical to the one Wizards use. Thus you can learn spells like Shield and (Greater) Mage Armor, among others, and count them as spells your character has knowledge of. Take Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon, that allows you to spend two spontaneous spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher, which would include spells you've learned and added to your spellbook.

Yet another option is to get a custom Runestaff (MIC p224), preferably via Ancestral Relic in BoED so you can freely determine which spells it contains. Max out Use Magic Device and you can emulate a class spell list when attuning to it each day to be able to cast the spells it contains using your Duskblade spell slots.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Or just houserule mage armor to be an abjuration like it should be.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Or just houserule mage armor to be an abjuration like it should be.
    BuT MuH CoNjuRaTioN MaSteR SchOoL!

Edit: sorry... forgot the /s in case anyone has thin skin.
    Last edited by AnimeTheCat; 2019-08-17 at 12:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Duskblade doesn't need mage armor since he wears actual armor

Shield is a good idea though, duskblade has a notorious lack of defensive spels on his list. I'd houserule shield to be a DB spell, really.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

This is generally accepted as a good home-brewed expansion of the Duskblade's spell list.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    The problem with the Duskblade spell list, as I see it, is the PHBII authors were constrained to include only spells from that book and the PH. There are plenty of thematically appropriate spells on other lists in other books. So, a while back Fax Celestis and I wrote up an expanded list of other spells that were consistent with the duskblade list. That initial discussion is here.

The list is here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like Fax and I put together a list a while back of spells that were in line with the types of spells Duskblades get, but were from other sources. These are the kind of spells already on the duskblade list - the spells we think WotC would have put on the list if they could have. (They generally write each supplement as if only it and core exists so that it doesn't require other books to use.)

So it isn't about what's super-powerful so much as extending the list to other reasonably similar choices.

Here it is

Fax's list from the Spell Compendium:
    From the Spell Compendium, adjusted to what I think would be fair Duskblade level:
    L0
    Caltrops
    Electric Jolt
    Know Greatest Enemy
    Launch Item
    Stick

L1
    Corrosive Grasp
    Critical Strike
    Deafening Clang
    Fist of Stone
    Ie Dagger
    Lightfoot
    Nerveskitter
    Nightshield
    Persistent Blade
    Phantom Threat
    Rhino's Rush
    Snowshoes

L2
    Battering Ram
    Bladeweave
    Body of the Sun
    Bristle
    Combust
    Daggerspell Stance
    Delusions of Grandeur
    Fireburst
    Flame Dagger
    Infernal Wound
    Ironthunder Horn
    Mountain Stance
    Rainbow Beam
    Scorch
    Shadow Spray
    Weapon Shift
    Wracking Touch

L3
    Belker Claws
    Body Blades
    Clarity of Mind
    Diamondsteel
    Find the Gap
    Knight's Move
    Know Opponent
    Moon Blade
    Ring of Blades
    Spectral Weapon
    Spider Poison
    Steeldance
    Sppress Breath Weapon
    Unluck
    Whirling Blade

L4
    Bands of Steel
    Blindsight
    Displacer Form
    Flame Whips
    Forcewave
    Frost Breath
    Lion's Charge
    Mind Poison
    Vulnerability

L5
    Acid Sheath
    Aura of Evasion
    Charge of the Triceratops
    Emerald Flame Fist
    Fireburst, Greater
    Girallon's Blessing
    Ray Deflection
    Translocation Trick

From Magic of Incarnum:
    L2
    Divest Essentia

L4
    Rend Essentia
    Soulbleed

L5
    Valiant Spirit

From Complete Scoundrel:
    L1
    Armor Lock

L2
    Enlarge Weapon

L4
    Spell Theft

From the PHB-II:
    L2
    Cloud of Knives

My list from other sources:
    First, I would give them access to every 0-level spell. I know they get some as spell-like abilities from Arcane Attunement, but I think they might as well have access to all of them on the spell list (and not the mere four listed).

(I don't have my SC right now, but here's what I've culled from other sources.)

My premise is that I'm just extending the list to where it should be had the PHBII authors not been constrained to PHB & PHBII. Thus, I assume they included all the PHB & PHBII spells they desired, so while I might want to add more, it's not really in keeping with their intent. (I do think there are more PHB spells that would be fun on their list, perhaps even in keeping with the duskblade flavor, but I'm reluctant to go there.)

BoED
    Lantern Light
    Eyes of the Avoral
    None
    Elation
    Warcry
    Radiant Fog
    Radiant Shield
    Vanishing Weapon
    Emerald Burst
    Touch of Adamantine

BoVD
    Unnerving Gaze
    No Light
    Slash Tongue

Death Grimace
    Abberate
    Bestow Wounds
    Tongue Tendrils
    Unheavened
    Addiction
    Masochism
    Sadism
    Sap Strength
    Darkbolt
    Shriveling
    Devil’s Eye
    Evil Eye
    Tongue Serpent
    Vile Lance
    Abyssal Might
    Hell’s Power
    Wrack
    Resonating Resistance

Libris Mortis
    Ectoplasmic Armor
    Necrotic Awareness
    Blade of Pain and Fear
    Ghost Touch Armor
    Necrotic Cyst
    Spawn Screen
    Ectoplasmic Feedback
    Necrotic Bloat
    None
    Kiss of the Vampire
    Necrotic Burst
    Night’s Caress
    Other:
    Spectral Touch (6) as (4)
    Avasculate (7) as (5)
    Energy Ebb (7) as (5)

Later, when someone asked about the spells from Complete Mage, I added:

Hmm, buffs, rays, movement enhancements, and touch or weapon delivered spells are most consistent with the duskblade list. Off the cuff...

Complete Mage
    Assassin Spells
    Bloodletting (1)
    Catsfeet (1)
    Summon Weapon (2)
    Rusted Blade (3) (or (4) as per Wiz/Sorc list)
    Unseen Strike (4)

Wiz/Sorc Spells
    Steam Jet (1)
    Escalating Enfeeblement (2)
    Heart of Air (2)
    Tenacious Dispelling (3)
    Heart of Water (3)
    Prickling Torment (3)
    Heart of Earth (4)
    Crypt Warden's Grasp (5)
    Touch of Vecna (5)
    Heart of Fire (5)
    Tactical Teleportation (6) as (5)

Very cautiously, I might suggest the following in an otherwise highly optimized campaign...
    Adamantine Wings (7) but as (5)
    Unicorn Heart (7) but as (5)

I didn't even consider the WuJen or Hexblade spells nor the divine ones. And this is quite off the cuff based on the short descriptions and my memory.

This was not an attempt to "power-up" the duskblade, just to include material from other sources that was in line with the existing list. More variety represents a slight theoretical increase in power, but not much. Depending on the optimization level of the game, I might also increase the spells known slightly. (I've played one such game with moderately well-optimized allies and it didn't seem unbalancing.)
    Just FYI, if you really want Shield on the Duskblade's known spells, in a 100% RAW method, there's Dragonblood Spell-Pact (DoF p.115).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

And iirc the main AC spells that Abjurrant Champion does boost (both near useless) are lesser deflect and deflect - which the Duskblade does get (though should never take).
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2019-08-17 at 11:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    This is generally accepted as a good home-brewed expansion of the Duskblade's spell list.
    What did you add when someone asked about Complete Mage?!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    What did you add when someone asked about Complete Mage?!
    I've added the missing nested quote to my post.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Arcane Disciple[Spell] might be pretty good. It gives you access to Mage Armor, but also to Anyspell. Anyspell is really good if you can use it, which is in doubt due to requiring a domain slot that you don't have. Nevertheless, it's reasonable to ask a DM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

My advice: Knight of the Weave (CoV) PrC. Easy to qualify for, provides both Shield and Mage Armor (though you don't really need the latter).

Alternatively just ask the DM to allow you to take Shield as Duskblade spells, it comes at a cost anyways, since he need to use one of his precious few spells known for it (and while you're at it, ask him for Magic Vestment as well...).
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

15. - Top - End - #15

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    My advice: Knight of the Weave (CoV) PrC. Easy to qualify for, provides both Shield and Mage Armor (though you don't really need the latter).

Alternatively just ask the DM to allow you to take Shield as Duskblade spells, it comes at a cost anyways, since he need to use one of his precious few spells known for it (and while you're at it, ask him for Magic Vestment as well...).
    Mage armor will be useful at low levels, shield in abjurant levels, and Divine Favor at Abj Champ 5, when KotW's caster level is set to BaB (+3 luck bonus as a spontaneous spell).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Mage armor will be useful at low levels,
    Why, though? It gives the same AC as a chain shirt, which you're proficient with. Am I overlooking something?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voidstar01 View Post
    So I want to do a duskblade 5/Abj. Champion 5/ Duskblade 10 build. However from what I can see Duskblade doesn't have any spells that grant an armor or shield bonus, so they can't benefit from abjurant armor, precocious apprentice misses both mage armor and it's greater version, so what can I do to get these types of spells? are there cleric domains that grant it? any help is appreciated.
    i just recently came across the Beguiler (Kind of a stealthy spellcaster) but one of its abilities grants you the ability to pull spells from the sorcerer wizard spell list. might be worth checking out.

Also if you need more armor why not just buy more armor and buy a shield, and enhance the armor and shield.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Duskblade are spontaneous so why not Knowstones?
    Last edited by animewatcha; 2019-08-21 at 12:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I'd probably just get Bracers of Armor. to eventually get upgraded into Bracers of Mailed Might of the Magelords when it becomes convenient to do so.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Why, though? It gives the same AC as a chain shirt, which you're proficient with. Am I overlooking something?
    Armor check penalty, dex cap, weight, initial cost, enchanting it as you level up instead of just shifting to Greater Mage Armor, etc.
    It's not a terrible detriment, but it's there.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Mage Armor also protects against incorporeal attacks, which regular armor won't without Ghost Touch or similar...

22. - Top - End - #22

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Mage armor will be useful at low levels, shield in abjurant levels, and Divine Favor at Abj Champ 5, when KotW's caster level is set to BaB (+3 luck bonus as a spontaneous spell).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Armor check penalty, dex cap, weight, initial cost, enchanting it as you level up instead of just shifting to Greater Mage Armor, etc.
    It's not a terrible detriment, but it's there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Mage Armor also protects against incorporeal attacks, which regular armor won't without Ghost Touch or similar...
    You can sleep in mage armor ...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

We house ruled to add the bard and assassin spell list to the duskblade.