New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ReSeed IC

1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: ReSeed IC

Miniboss discuss their options. Moving to a dead end, 5 minds think, and consider whether they should go out. They evaluate another message. They gauge risk. Then, they move.

Spoiler: The Plan. Hallowed be it's name.
    Show

No alerting the Aurora. This may end up being dumb.

Moving to a dead zone, Miniboss Squad-
    Round 1: Deploys Funnels. Miniboss Squad looses Swift Actions in any turn funnels act.
    Round 2: Has funnels cast Walk Unseen. Due to personal range, the funnels turn invisible.
    Round 3: Cloak of night. Funnels become immune to special senses and must be detected using listen/spot. Also turn pitch black and featurely, which probably looks weird. 18 seconds after deployment beings, Funnels no longer impact stealth beyond making the group take up more squares.
    Round 4 and 5: Fell Flight/Cheetah Sprint. Funnels now have a 50mu (Good) fly speed. Each can spend a swift action to move at 170mu for one round. I'm assuming teamwork abilities don't work for funnels, so while maintaining stealth Funnels will be moving at 25mu/round for positioning.... I may end up taking feats to get combined Defensive/Offensive funnels given their movement speed/etc.

Funnels are noted as having all senses of Mech's, so now I have more informer radars in space configuration. Spacesense is irrelevant but: "Blindsight 60 mu plus you can see through fogs as well as obstacles not made of metal as long as they're less than 5 feet thick and within 240 mu."

After this, Funnels attempt to gain entry to hostage room through vents to minimize detection, while Miniboss Squad moves to entry. If they're unable to, Miniboss will wait near entrance while funnels regroup.

Spoiler
    Show

Questions:

Which happened/Let's see how stealth went. I'll let you roll, that way I don't know how close things are/etc.

If stealth seems successful what's the current layout? The room's quite large, can Miniboss Squad feasibly get behind the hostages, preferably within arms reach? [I don't think they were against a wall.]
    How feasible does it look regarding removing the hostages without alerting the Einist due to sound or things like an Einist sitting on the web to detect movement?
    Are there Einist behind the Hostages/in such a position where they could see the mechs open up?
    Could the Funnels get in position in the room such as to draw the attention of the Einist when invisibility fails?
    -Is there anything in the room that looks fragile/fail distractingly/like it'd explode if hit by a couple of 6d6+10 untyped hardness ignoring or 3d6+5 + push effect blasts? General light conduits also work since the Einist would need to activate mecha headlights limiting their vision (If they have some.)
    -Bronze Blast causes hit foes to need a reflex or be thrown 30ft/mu directly away from the caster. It explicitly doesn't allow extra damage and immediately stops pushing if they hit something solid. I assume this won't allow me to bowl einist into multiple others to delay their reaction because they need to all get up. Would I be right?

Knowing an illusion is fake grants a +4 to Disbelief saves. Any chance I can take 10 to disbelieve my own illusions/the illusions of my team/automatically disbelieve as if I'm the caster for them?

From the posts, I'm assuming:
    -Dunno so DM response.
    -Not likely to get away with this. But knowing if one's sitting on the Web would be useful.
    -I think there'd be Einist behind them.
    -Presumably there'd be a side of the room further away from the hostages or the Funnels could set up spread around the corners if the hostages are towards the center.
    -Dunno.
    -RAI The Einist probably just stop prone in the same square of a comrade making it harder for the hit one to get up without it affecting others in away way beyond maybe difficult terrain in their square... Annoyingly.

And I'm not sure if the rules will allow auto disbelief or a routine check for a routine tactic but I figure checking is worthwhile to see if I can move at 20mu/round reliably instead of maybe moving at 10 mu.

Current engagement plan is multiple Nightmares Made Real to reshape the train to simulate some sort of artillery/laser strike opening the room to space, causing multiple will saves vs entangle and drawing lots of attention [Entangle is not anchored so just half movement and combat penalties], while making the web look like it's been destroyed/hostages are moved, dead einist lying around/etc. Any I don't have doing that will open up with Hammer Spear or Bronze Spear at whichever Einist looks most important/items look like they'd fail usefully.

Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2019-11-07 at 05:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks to their careful planning and preparation along their eldritch technology, Miniboss squad manages to infiltrate their funnels inside the hostage room while positioning themselves at the entrance whitout attracting any of the drone's attentions.

Spoiler: Questions Answers
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Which happened/Let's see how stealth went. I'll let you roll, that way I don't know how close things are/etc.
    Secret rolls rolled, so far so good for you.

If stealth seems successful what's the current layout? The room's quite large, can Miniboss Squad feasibly get behind the hostages, preferably within arms reach? [I don't think they were against a wall.]
    The hostages themselves are at the center of the room so there's no "behind" or "front" per se, drones all around including directly below and above.

How feasible does it look regarding removing the hostages without alerting the Einist due to sound or things like an Einist sitting on the web to detect movement?
    If you've got some kind of slashing implement, it would be possible to cut the hostages free from the einst web with minimum fuss (-20 on the hide check basically). However cutting the web would count as an attack and break invisibility.

Are there Einist behind the Hostages/in such a position where they could see the mechs open up?
    Could, but with your stealth abilities you may be just be able to do it while they're looking another way (included in the -20 penalty above basically).

Could the Funnels get in position in the room such as to draw the attention of the Einist when invisibility fails?
    Yes.

-Is there anything in the room that looks fragile/fail distractingly/like it'd explode if hit by a couple of 6d6+10 untyped hardness ignoring or 3d6+5 + push effect blasts? General light conduits also work since the Einist would need to activate mecha headlights limiting their vision (If they have some.)
    Some machinery and power lines here and there that look like they would explode nicely if shot with such level of power yes.

I'll rule that causing such a distraction would remove the -20 penalty on hide for cutting the web. Basically have somebody in miniboss squad blow something up to distract the drones for a moment while the others take that moment of distraction to cut the hostages free.

-Bronze Blast causes hit foes to need a reflex or be thrown 30ft/mu directly away from the caster. It explicitly doesn't allow extra damage and immediately stops pushing if they hit something solid. I assume this won't allow me to bowl einist into multiple others to delay their reaction because they need to all get up. Would I be right?
    Yes, now bowling einst unless it's explicitly allowed.

Knowing an illusion is fake grants a +4 to Disbelief saves. Any chance I can take 10 to disbelieve my own illusions/the illusions of my team/automatically disbelieve as if I'm the caster for them?
    Ok to disbelieve your own illusions automatically.

From the posts, I'm assuming:
    -Dunno so DM response.
    -Not likely to get away with this. But knowing if one's sitting on the Web would be useful.
    -I think there'd be Einist behind them.
    -Presumably there'd be a side of the room further away from the hostages or the Funnels could set up spread around the corners if the hostages are towards the center.
    -Dunno.
    -RAI The Einist probably just stop prone in the same square of a comrade making it harder for the hit one to get up without it affecting others in away way beyond maybe difficult terrain in their square... Annoyingly.
    Hope the questions are answered, but just wanted to comment that although in the real world (and some games) allies can and will get in each other's way, in D&D there's explicitly no penalty to moving over allies except during a charge.

Current engagement plan is multiple Nightmares Made Real to reshape the train to simulate some sort of artillery/laser strike opening the room to space, causing multiple will saves vs entangle and drawing lots of attention [Entangle is not anchored so just half movement and combat penalties], while making the web look like it's been destroyed/hostages are moved, dead einist lying around/etc. Any I don't have doing that will open up with Hammer Spear or Bronze Spear at whichever Einist looks most important/items look like they'd fail usefully.
    Ok, make your rolls/tell me the relevant DCs for the drone's saves and how many/which kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

In the bowls of the station, distant booms can be heard. Quiet explosions and electrical failures as lightning hits cords in no way meant for it.

Spoiler: The Action!
    Show

Funels 1-2: Bronze Spear. Two random conduits are hit by lightning (Lightning is 3d8-3d10. 3d6+5 is probably hard to differentiate from lightning.), this creates the surprise.
    Funels 3-5: Nightmares made real. All Einist who even percieve the casting need to make a DC 22 will save or be entangled. The spell lasts for 12 rounds. a 51 10mu by 10mu cubes now look like some sort of attack has hit the station and damage the walls, sections fallen off and bowed. Being a shadow effect I can only create things, but using really black patches I can mimic holes, but not being experts when it comes to designing terrain, there's spots where you could tell it's there. Because the terrain is nightmarish, fake damage such as tiny fires and a couple of dead einist that look like they fell wrong are on the ground. Additionally, all enemies in the space take 1d6 damage on the start of my turns. So none this round, and a really small amount, but it's there. To maximise actual space covered by the illusion given it's type, it'll mostly cover the walls and a few spots of floor.

Miniboss Squad: All open their suits using the noise and trouble with lights to try and hide it. Having Nacht Systems on their automated armor (And their own invisibility) and leaving their armos stealth systems on (Which include greater invisibility), they're almost impossible to see in the gloom. Any grumbling about needing to bring mech sized knives and crowbars having long since been stowed.

Spoiler: Turn 1 Initiative Check/Actions
    Show

(1d20+2)[7]

Funnels 1-2 will use Nightmares Made Real to simulate cascade conduit failures, focusing on making the area's around 3-5 look like they've failed. Being pitch black drone swarms they might not be immediately noticed. If not, oh well. Again, they threaten DC 22 will saves.
    Funels 3-5 will Ready an action use Bronze Spear on random Einist when 1-2 use Nightmares Made real. The timing of this might hide them. Might not. Anyway, more confusion abounds!

Miniboss all reach out to grab their hostages. Lacking knives, this is the best they can do and they hope active combat will hide them. If it's possible to grab them as a move action, then they'll also get back in their suits. Hopefully excess web doesn't gum them up too much.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside the Steel Nest, Evaro's sensors can't detect anything unusual, but the captain's keen eyes spot some faint flashes in the distance emerging from roughly the middle of the top of the space station's ring.

Spoiler: Miniboss Squad
    Show

There's quite a bit of nice fireworks in as power cables are overcharged by eldritch electricity, turning the drones eyes away from the hostages and creating an opening for Miniboss squad.

The webs were made for holding normal sized humanoids, and it's trivial for the zentradi to snap them to snatch the goey hostages inside. But the brutish job pulls a lot of threads making the whole web shake violently and the drones touching them instantly turn their heads towards Miniboss squad's position. Even if they still seem unable to see the invisible mechas and pilots, the drones clearly now know something is there tearing at their web.

Worst, the drones completely disregard the illusions in a matter of nanoseconds! Maybe their minds too simple. Maybe their biosenses are too evolved. Maybe they're too alien to even understand the concept of nightmare. Do they even dream at all?

Still those nanoseconds to realize the danger is nothing but a fake construction are still wasted nanoseconds from the drones, allowing for Miniboss squad to move first before the alerted drones can take action.

Spoiler
    Show

Grabbing hostages would count as move action.

Drones made their saves but Miniboss won initiative so they can go first.

"You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"We've been made."
    Quiet words are transmitted loudly in Hopi of reaching the Evaro. Sure, they've announced thier position, but in the next seconds the Einist would do it anyway.

Meanwhile more lightning cracks.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Stocking with the plan. Miniboss can grab hostages, suit up and maintain funnels as a full round of actions.

The funnels will apply blasts and illusions as planned. They'll also move 70 my towards their pilots

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Most of miniboss squad’s shots just bounce off the drone’s carapace, only one managing to crack it a bit.

Then the einst guardians quickly scramble to surround the area from where the web’s strings were being pulled, opening their maws to reveal living generators that unleash barrages of bio-beams over an huge area, clearly trying to hit the invisible invaders!

There’s also a sudden clear buzz along the corridors, seemingly of other drones in the station swiftly converging upon the position.

Spoiler
    Show

All of Miniboss squad who were near the web where the hostages were take 53 damage (if AC under 24), 49 damage (if AC under 35), 59 damage(if AC under 28), 47 damage (if AC under 22). All damage Rending and Pinning and counts as Beam.

Miniboss squad’s move again.

Aurora and everybody else along her can retroactively take an action from the previous round and then an action for the new round.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Miniboss is used to to loosing mechs.
    They're less used to being hit by full barrages instantly. Armor warnings blair internally, quite loudly, as they do their best to scatter. Meanwhile the swarms rush in to cover Miniboss Squad as rapidly as they can.

Show

Spoiler: Miniboss
    Show

I'm deciding everyone was busy grabbing a number of hostages basically at random. Avoids prioritizing.

Minibosses Swift is used to keep the Funnells running. Then as a full round action they scatter 10mu, all heading directly up assuming that won't have them hitting a drone or moving within 5mu of a drone, in which case they'll move up while trying to avoid them.
    They take no stealth penalty for full move. Hide check is made at +42 (Greater Invisibility), Move Silently at +22.

Status: AC 27. Pinned*2. Mech HP 26/120. 69/69 personal. (I should have actived my amulets of tears. Oops.)

Looking at that HP, I may be making a bunch of Death or Glory attacks next round... Or I may not to preserve invisibility and try to run in Zentradi size. Does Invisibility cover the unconscious people I'm carrying or would I be visible as a couple of webbed people floating mid-air?
    Also, regarding pinning, if I burn Cheetah's Sprint for bonus speed, does that get added after Pinning reduces my speed to 5mu, or does it do nothing?

Spoiler: Swarms
    Show

Swift Action: Burn through Cheetah Sprint, giving them a 190mu move speed for this round.
    Full Round: Run to cover where miniboss was at ground level, aiming to be a distraction/feint to draw fire since they've visible. To be clear, all of Miniboss Squad will be firmly out of the swarm, which seems to be spreading sideways towards one of the doors.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

The Aurora's crew response to the first sign of engagement was immediate. The ship's veteran crew knew what was expected off them, and the captain's orders served only to confirm that they where doing what was expected off them.

"Unlock power limiters. Reroute power to engines. Tell omega Squadron to touch down."

When the call from Miniboss came, the ship was already moving. "Understood, miniboss. ETA, 12 seconds. We'll be blasting our way in."

Show

Round 1:
    Omega Squadron:
    move action+free action: return to the Aurora and board.

Aurora:
    Swift: The aurora enters the "Disable all Safeties" stance (energy: 70/100)
    full-round: enter cruising mode (speed*3 and moving doesn't cost energy, but ship can't take other actions than standard moves)

round 2:
    Omega squadron: delay to initiative count 12 (just after Aurora)

Aurora/Evaro:
    energy regen(95/100)
    Swift: use 1 charge from belt of battle for +1 move action
    2*move action: move 420 MU twice (840 MU total, distance to target is now 280 MU)

Omega squadron (after delay):
    Launch from Aurora(speed doubled to base 140 MU for 1 round thanks to launcher pad feat).
    full-round action: "run" 300 MU to be near target but out of line of fire for the Aurora main beam cannon (energy:85/145)

Last edited by DeTess; 2019-11-16 at 09:36 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Outside, as the Aurora rushes to the station they catch the attention of the drone patrol but were distant enough that they'll take some more seconds before being in reach.

Inside, Miniboss's squad ruse seems to work as the drones attention is drawn towards the funnels and unleash their next barrage of lasers at the robotic swarms!

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+19)[37]
    (12d6)[40]
    (1d20+19)[35]
    (12d6)[38]
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (12d6)[47]
    (1d20+19)[21]
    (12d6)[32]
    (1d20+19)[34]
    (12d6)[48]
    (1d20+19)[21]
    (12d6)[35]

Miniboss's funnels take 54 damage vs AC 37, 52 damage vs AC 35, 61 damage vs AC 36, 46 damage vs AC 21, 52 damage vs AC 34, 49 damage vs AC 21.

Burning Cheetah's sprint bonus wouldn't be affected by a previous speed mofidier.

Well since getting the hostages inside the invisible mechas makes the invisible, if forced on foot Miniboss squad could keep them invisible by stuffing them inside their suits (move action like storing a item), otherwise would be seen as "couple of webbed people floating mid-air"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Captain Evaro watched the distance to the target section of station count down as the Aurora's engines strained. 600...500...400...300 "Disengage engines, reroute all power to the main beam cannon."

The crew on the bridge leapt into motion to execute her orders. A few seconds more passed, then the station came within range. "Fire!"

Spoiler: Aurora actions
    Show

energy regen: 100/100
    free action: drop out of cruise mode
    swift action: use 1 charge from belt of battle for another move action
    move action: move forward 90 MU (energy: 82/100, distance to target: 190 MU)
    full-round action: full-round attack with the main beam cannon (energy: 37/100, current stance removes heavy property allowing for iteratives)
    to-hit*/damage
    attack 1: (1d20+17)[29] / (12d12+7)[76]
    attack 2: (1d20+12)[30] / (12d12+7)[73]
    attack 3: (1d20+7)[20] / (12d12+7)[97]

*to-hit should be formality as the station isn't going to be dodging and the cannon has the 'power' property for negating a lot of the armor, but my current stance means that I take 12 damage (ignoring DR) whenever I roll a 1 on a d20).

Chief Engineer Spence could hardly contain his frustration. Most of the allies they'd picked up had been very slow in readying for action. Finally though Captai Rubii's crew where standing by in the launch catapults. "Captain Rubii, you're cleared to launch as soon as the Aurora's main canon is done creating an opening. Good hunting!"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Even with his mech's systems automatically damping the worst of it, the glare of the Aurora's main beam gun was still painfully bright for Lt. Ilbar. He kept his sights trained on the soon to appear opening in the station's hull however, ready to start picking off the Einst within. After several long seconds the beam of light tapered off, leaving a gaping hole in the hull. Targeting information started appearing on his screen immediately afterwards and he wasted no time pulling the trigger.

Spoiler: Omega squadron actions
    Show

energy regen: 118/145
    full-round action: Fire orgone rifles N, assuming 2nd range band (55-110 MU) for targets (ammo 7/8).
    To-hit (and the einst might be denied dex (and therefore also the dodge bonus) to AC because Omega is invisible, and the general shock-and-awe of this situation):
    Omega-1: (1d20+20)[30]
    Omega-2: (1d20+20)[26]
    Omega-3: (1d20+20)[28]
    Omega-4: (1d20+20)[32]
    Omega-5: (1d20+20)[40]
    damage= Average of 20d6+8, so 78. Weapons have the rending (half DR) and heavy+pinning properties (hits reduce movement speed by 75%, stacks to a minimum of 5 MU). Einst are focussed down before moving on to the next target.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

In another burst of Einist power, the funnels vapourize under the assault, disappearing completely from existence. Miniboss Squad might wish their distraction lasted longer, but there's nothing they can do about that.
    Besides, the distraction did work and-

With a great peal of thunder, the hull of the station opens up. Illusions shatter as the shades can't sustain themselves without the metal they were anchored to. Deciding that running through where there's powerful area striking weaponry is a dumb idea in case they get clipped, they decide to go back the way they came.

After all, any Einist will be routing to leave the station, not try and intercept them. They think. 5 however distances himself from the group, heading for another exit before he tries to contact the Aurora on Tightbeam, praying no one hears him.

"Traveling through station. ETA 2-3 minutes. Disengage at will after 30 seconds. Good luck."

Spoiler: OOC/Actions
    Show

Running on initiative 7, the sky opens before I act.

Double Move: Move 40mu the way we came before. Being roughly 1000mu into the station, Miniboss Squad will take roughly 25 turns/150 seconds to leave the station at this speed. They will not run. Stealth remains the same.
    Swift: Activate Amulet of Tears using 3 charges (The days use), gaining 24 Temporary hitpoints lasting 10 minutes. I'm presuming these don't apply to mech HP but their own.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sitting relaxed with various fiber optic like strands from her bio mecha running into her arms she opens her comm, "Unless you need use to engage right now or don't want to expose the Aurora too much, can you take us in closer? I would like to engage as soon as I leave so they won't have as much time to react to our presence." The other units with her would ready their weapons as she has the one she's piloting pull out an odd scimitar that is a mix between unknown technology and organic life.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Charge
    Into the Danger Zone (Stance)
    Level: Any Pilot Class 3
    Initiation Action: Swift action
    Range: None
    Target: You
    Duration: stance
    Save: none

While on this stance, you gain +1 to your AC and saves for every 15 mu you moved in a straight line during your turn that last until the start of your next turn. Only basic move actions or movement as part of a run/charge/whitdraw action count towards this bonus, not forced movement or movement as part of other actions such as attacking with a melee Area weapon or a maneuver that makes you move.

Spending 15 energy
    Recovering 10
    Naga's Energy: 95/100
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-11-25 at 04:49 PM.
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

The Aurora’s barrage punches straight through the Steel Nest’s walls, revealing the room where the hostages were kept although now they’ve been taken inside of Miniboss Squad’s mechas with only the guardian drones and tattered web remains. They’re easy targets for Omega Squadron that succeeds in taking out three of them before they can react!

As the atmosphere and debris are sucked out into the void through the opening created, the three remaining einst stand their ground and retaliate at their new opponent, as well as seven of the patroling drone, all opening their abdomens to unleash smaller, glowing versions of themselves that rush out at the Aurora and detonate themselves on proximity! The other five patrolling drones don’t attack but instead speed up to land on the Aurora itself!

More drones start to emerge from inside the broken walls, but instead of fighting they appear to focus on trying to repair the hole in the Steel Nest, grabbing leftoer broken bits of metal and "gluing" them with fresh alien webs. Some of those einst don’t seem fully organic, possessing some kind of machinery bits grafted to their carapaces. The design of the artificial components resembles the technology composing the Steel Nest itself.

Miniboss squad meanwhile discretly escapes the battle with the hostages by returning inside the Steel Nest through the route they had already explored.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Aurora targeted by 7 attacks, hit Power AC 37 for 44 damage, 25 for 65 damage, 32 for 47 damage, 24 for 56 damage, 27 for 60 damage, 36 for 47 damage, 38 for 63 damage (22 crit confirm for an extra 63 damage plus 38 damage to captain).

Each of Omega Squad’s targeted by one attack, hit Power AC 23 for 62 damage, 28 for 45 damage, 27 for 40 damage, natural 20 for 38 damage (30 crit confirm for an extra 43 damage plus 38 damage to pilot), 22 for 65 damage.

All attacks Power, Downfall (opposed checks 30, 17, 21, 26, 16, 16, 15, 16, 20, 30, 31, 30), Pushing (opposed checks 17,14, 21, 26, 25, 23, 29, 25, 23, 17, 26, 21) and count as Missiles.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

The Aurora shuddered as the Einst counter-attack hit. "Captain, 1 hit, 6 near misses. 5 Einst drones are closing in."

Captain Evaro Consdiered for a fraction of a second, then gave her orders. "We're fighting this out. Fire the main beam cannon at those attacking from range, and welcome those closing in with interception fire! Tell Captain Rubii to launch and get those drones off our hull!"

Show

Upkeep:
    energy regen: 62/100
    evasive maneuvers: reduce speed by 120 MU, gain +12 AC against ranged attacks

Spirits:
    Evaro: trust (targeting Aurora) ( (10d6)[36] hp healed) (57/77 spirit )
    Cevet: Foresee (targeting aurora) (60/75 spirit )

full round action:
    initiate 'bullet hell' maneuver (move up to your speed, fire main beam cannon once and missiles and AA once at each target within leadership Aura) (32/100 E)
    The Aurora remains stationary.
    Beam cannon is fired at the Einst at range (17/100 E):
    Beam cannon has the power (half AC from most sources), and rending (ignore half DR) properties. I ignore the pushing and downfall properties this time (no trip and push attempts)
    hit/damage/(crit confirm)
    Einst 1: (1d20+17)[32] / (12d12+7)[110] / ( (1d20+17)[20] )
    Einst 2: (1d20+17)[25] / (12d12+7)[83] / ( (1d20+17)[31] )
    Einst 3: (1d20+17)[23] / (12d12+7)[78] / ( (1d20+17)[25] )
    Einst 4: (1d20+17)[21] / (12d12+7)[73] / ( (1d20+17)[19] )

AA fire at einst at the hull
    Einst 1: (1d20+21)[36] / (12d6+7)[37] / ( (1d20+21)[26] )
    Einst 2: (1d20+21)[34] / (12d6+7)[44] / ( (1d20+21)[35] )
    Einst 3: (1d20+21)[38] / (12d6+7)[49] / ( (1d20+21)[30] )
    Einst 4: (1d20+21)[37] / (12d6+7)[45] / ( (1d20+21)[33] )
    Einst 5: (1d20+21)[23] / (12d6+7)[36] / ( (1d20+21)[23] )

missile fire at einst at the hull
    Missiles have the pinning (on hit half-speed) and disarming (on hit, Einst roll against attack roll or lose one weapon) properties. If the Einst have any special melee weapons, those are the target of the disarm, otherwise the biggest single-target weapon they have.
    Einst 1: (1d20+19)[34] / (12d8+7)[66] / ( (1d20+19)[30] )
    Einst 2: (1d20+19)[26] / (12d8+7)[54] / ( (1d20+19)[31] )
    Einst 3: (1d20+19)[38] / (12d8+7)[55] / ( (1d20+19)[28] )
    Einst 4: (1d20+19)[29] / (12d8+7)[54] / ( (1d20+19)[31] )
    Einst 5: (1d20+19)[35] / (12d8+7)[62] / ( (1d20+19)[23] )

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

"Argh, damn it!" Sgt. Vera cursed loudly as the missile clipped her mech, sending it into a spin. She righted it quickly, but it cost her the opportunity to fire her Orgone rifle at the Einst remaining in the station.

"Focus! We wipe these out, then rejoin the Aurora. The Lieutenant kept his cool as fire from the Einst below just barely missed his mech.

Spoiler: Omega actions
    Show

Upkeep:
    energy regen: 145/145
    Omega-2 gets hit, uses the defend feat to half damage(after DR). HP: 112/100 (started at 130/100)

full-round action: Fire orgone rifles N, assuming 2nd range band (55-110 MU) for targets (ammo 7/8).
    To-hit (and the einst might be denied dex (and therefore also the dodge bonus) to AC because Omega is invisible, and the general shock-and-awe of this situation):
    Omega-1: (1d20+20)[27]
    Omega-3: (1d20+20)[36]
    Omega-4: (1d20+20)[34]
    Omega-5: (1d20+20)[39]
    damage= Average of 20d6+8, so 78. Weapons have the rending (half DR) and heavy+pinning properties (hits reduce movement speed by 75%, stacks to a minimum of 5 MU). Einst are focussed down before moving on to the next target.

17. - Top - End - #137

"Well I did say if the Aurora needed us out there," Rubii says, launching her unit with the other mecha in her group following, which some may note is despite the lack of pilots. As she exits she would take a moment to reach inward, reigning in her unusual aura in a bit so her allies wouldn't feel it's detrimental effects. Unfortunately the enemies won't be effected either due to being Einst themselves.

Rubii would charge the furthest set of drones, one of her heavier units right on her trail although it seemed that this was faster than it should be going. She would then attack any drone within her reach with the odd scimitar like weapon in Naga's hand, with the Rattler unit taking care any left over. Meanwhile Sidewinder and Asp would exit. The later engages it's Nacht system and slowly tries to work into a position to flank the enemies that are still a distance away from the ship. Asp would use it's heavy cannon to try to take out the closest drone that was still on approach.

Spoiler
    Show
    Naga and Rattler will try to flank opponents if possible, but but being able to reach as many opponents as possible is priority.

Shadow in the Stars
    Prerequisite: Einst Queen lv 3+
    Benefit: The Einst Queen becomes immune to indirect divination effects and half the range of all special senses for the purpose of detecting her. As long as she bothers to dress and behave properly, she can pass as her "base" humanoid race, fooling even scientific, spirit and magic detectors close and personal, only if she's seen giving birth to her drones will the jig be up. In addition reduce CL/PL/IL similar by 1 for all non-Einst inside the range of Queen’s Will. At the Einst Queen’s decision, she may exclude a number of non-einst allies up to her Wis mod from being affected by this. Such allies will also not be affected by any ill auras produced by other Einst Queen feats from the same Queen.

Onslaught-The Einst Drone gains Pounce, or it can fire its ranged weapons and then Charge as a single fullround action.

This is in effect from both Naga (Rubii's unit) and Rattler;
    The Horror-Adjacent enemies take a 1 -penalty to all saves, attack rolls, skill checks and AC, stacking for multiple Einst Drones.

I'm not sure the distance I would have had to go, but this will apply;
    Iron Charge
    Into the Danger Zone (Stance)
    Level: Any Pilot Class 3
    Initiation Action: Swift action
    Range: None
    Target: You
    Duration: stance
    Save: none

While on this stance, you gain +1 to your AC and saves for every 15 mu you moved in a straight line during your turn that last until the start of your next turn. Only basic move actions or movement as part of a run/charge/whitdraw action count towards this bonus, not forced movement or movement as part of other actions such as attacking with a melee Area weapon or a maneuver that makes you move.

Pheromone Trail (10 energy)- You and any Einst Drones under Queen’s Will may instantly move adjacent to one of your drones you can detect, or you may bring any one of your drones adjacent to you. This does not provoke attacks of opportunity nor counts as teleportation, it’s pure love.

Spending 10 energy
    Recovering 10
    Naga's Energy: 95/100
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-12-09 at 01:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Aurora’s Main Beam cannon vaporizes one drone into space ash, while seriously searing the carapaces of another two. The battleship’s point defense manages to weaken the other einst in its hull but they tenaciously hold on.

Omega Squad’s disciplined orgone volleys succeed in taking out the other einst that were engaging the Aurora at range, blowing them to pieces!

Rubi and Rattler’s combined efforts finish off two of the drones on the Aurora and wound the others nearby, but they’re still kicking.

The void Einst seem oblivious to the damage they’re taking, but they’re clearly close enough for their senses to don’t be fooled and and open their maws to start chewing on the battleship’s hull!

On the hole in the Steel Nest most drones keep working to seal it or just scurrying around as if looking for something, but then a dozen take flight in formation towards the Aurora. Four spread out among them are moving in a somewhat familiar focused pattern.

Inside the space station, Miniboss squad slowly but steadily makes their way out, carefully staying out of the way of the groups frenzied drones scurrying towards the hole área.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

Aurora takes 33 damage vs AC 38 and 36 damage vs AC 30, counts as flat-footed against those attacks.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The silence of the void is not what Miniboss Squad moves in.
    But it is the silence they move with.
    Tesla engines fail to even hum as they move through the station with the captives.

20. - Top - End - #140

Rubii and the Rattler continue trying to clear off the hull, while Sidewinder is still maneuvering to flank any approaching drones. If any are left after the two in melee clean up, Asp would try a shoot at one. If not it would try to hit a distant one.

Hearing the order from the Aurora to break off, Sidewinder would return at full speed and attach to the hull.
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-12-23 at 10:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

"Omega, Rubii, break off! Time to get out before they swarm us with reinforcements!"

"Understood Aurora, Omega is breaking off and returning." Lieutenant Ilbar responded, twisting his mech around and redirecting all power tot eh engines to make a straight line for the Aurora, which had started pulling away from the battle already.

"Captain, Rubii's team has touched down on the hull but continue their skirmish with the Einst. Omega is on an intercept with us."

"Understood, ensign. tell them to brace for acceleration. Reroute al power to engines, we're getting out of here!"

Show

Omega:
    Upkeep:
    energy regen: 145/145

full-round action: run 280 MU to touchdown on the Aurora's hull. (energy: 89/145)

Aurora:
    upkeep:
    energy regen: 42/100
    Evaro spirit regen (67/77 spirit)
    Cevet spirit regen (70/75 spirit)

Cevet: Foresee spirit (targeting aurora) (55/75 spirit)

swift action: spend last charge of belt of battle for an additional move action
    full-round action: enter cruising mode
    move action: move 410MU away from the Einst and the station.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Rubii and the Rattler succeed in clearing the remaining aliens attached to the hull just as the Aurora retreats. The focused drones retreat inside the damaged structure, while some other einst try to pursue through the void of space but their biopropulsion can’t keep up with the battleship engine’s speed.

Suddenly there’s a communication with an ID from the Steel Crusaders:
    “Aurora team, we’re detecting a lot of fireworks around the Steel Nest. Please tell me you’ve secured the VIPs and that we can launch the nukes to finish off those space bugs.”

Show

One of the hostages, the woman with long blond hair and expensive jewelery starts to regain consciousness and asks in an authorative voice:

“Where are you taking me? Identify yourself!”

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Inside the station.
    Show

Miniboss-3 barely misses a beat, his surprise not showing given his VIP is in one of his breast pockets. With the Tesla engine humming, there's not even a step out of place.
    Quietly he clicks his radio on and off, just once, letting the group know they need to contract as they move. Soon the group comes to a halt with Miniboss speaking to the awake VIP.

"I'm Miniboss-3, or Jack as you'd prefer. We're on contract to extract several hostages from an Einist held station and you were among those we were briefed to be captured. You're currently inside a Randrigz Class Zentradi Mechsuit, and we're on our way to the APSS Aurora for extraction."
    There's a slight shift as Jack comes to a stop. The VIP can't see it, but he looks towards his chest.

"Let us know if anything I've said is problematic or you're here of your actually here of your own volition and there's some amount of misunderstanding. If possible I'd like to keep moving and this will require concentration."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Rubii and the Rattler succeed in clearing the remaining aliens attached to the hull just as the Aurora retreats. The focused drones retreat inside the damaged structure, while some other einst try to pursue through the void of space but their biopropulsion can’t keep up with the battleship engine’s speed.
    The captain watched the tactical screen as the blips indicating the pursuing Einst started turning away. "Well done everyone. Captain Rubii, Omega squadron, you're cleared to board. We'll circle around, then wait for Squad miniboss near the entrance they've used."

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Suddenly there’s a communication with an ID from the Steel Crusaders:
    “Aurora team, we’re detecting a lot of fireworks around the Steel Nest. Please tell me you’ve secured the VIPs and that we can launch the nukes to finish off those space bugs.”
    Captain Evaro nodded at the communications officer. "Can you confirm that that signal is genuine? I'd prefer not to give our game away to the Einst."

Spoiler: Assuming that there are no indications the signal isn't what it appears to be, the response is as follows.
    Show

"Steel Crusaders, this is captain Evaro of the Aurora. Our Extraction team is still finishing operations and are not clear yet. Please delay any strikes until I confirm that we've secured the VIP's."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

The sign is genuine as far that it’s coming from somebody pretty high ranked in the Steel Crusaders and that most definitely would have access to nukes.

“Very well captain Evaro. Just some of my men and women are begging me to let us kill those bugs too, saying you’re taking all the fun for yourselves. Either way, we have a secure ship in a nearby orbit ready to transport the VIPs, as soon as your operatives get them out.”

Show

"I'm Miniboss-3, or Jack as you'd prefer. We're on contract to extract several hostages from an Einist held station and you were among those we were briefed to be captured. You're currently inside a Randrigz Class Zentradi Mechsuit, and we're on our way to the APSS Aurora for extraction."
    “The Aurora? Isn’t that a mercenary ship? Who hired you?”

"Let us know if anything I've said is problematic or you're here of your actually here of your own volition and there's some amount of misunderstanding. If possible I'd like to keep moving and this will require concentration."
    “Misunderstandings? You bet there’s been some misunderstandings Miniboss-3! I guess we may our current situation may make us look like hostages, but whitout the help of the Einst here we would already be dead! We were traveling on a nearby orbital route when a group of unknown ships ambushed us and left us drifting, life support and communications out, slowly suffocating and freezing to death in the void. Very professional, they made sure we were left drifting towards the Steel Nest and certainly hoping the Einst here would find and finish us off, getting rid of any evidence. But instead the Einst carefully took us and placed our weakened bodies inside special webs that slowly healed us back to health. Their queen, she’s come to talk with me sometimes between resting. Said she was curious why we would’ve been attacked by our own kind. Wanted to know more about us. I’ve learned many incredible things from her!

That’s why I’ll repeat the question of who hired you? Who else knows about this operation? That I’m still breathing gives me hope this is an honest rescue, but there’s the chance you’re just taking me to my execution place, even if you’re not aware of it. But if you really intend to help, then I ask you take us back to Earth. It’s too easy to make ‘accidents’ happen in space.”

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Inside Steel Nest
    Show

"Mercenaries. Primary employer at the moment is the Steel Crusaders but there are multiple parties of interest... We're going to have to attempt verification."
    Messages quickly bounce between team members.

"We're going to move to a area devoid of patrols and transfer you between suits. Our intended plan is to move you to four suits who will seek to continue our randevouse. Our remaining team member will attempt to make contact with the queen for verification. We will attempt to delay or prevent any assaults or attacks on the station. Hopefully others will wake to corroborate this which will make things easier. Can we get the name of the local queen?"

With that, Miniboss Squad resumes movement.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Miniboss Squad moves to one of the previous patrol blind spots. Once doing so, the 'hostages' will be moved to be in suits Actual and 3-5. Said members will continue to convene with the Aurora.

After a 30 second head start, Jacob/2 will attempt to parlay by requesting peaceful communications at set coordinates, where he's willing to leave his Mech as a peace offering. Actual Message if you're fine with this going to plan:

Jacob's Randrigz's speakers and transmitters roar in unison, an assault of noise and radiowaves echoing through the station.
    "Einist Queen [It's Name], this is Miniboss 2 of Miniboss Squad transmitting openly. We've been informed that our assault on your station is due to errors in communication. In an attempt to peacefully resolve the situation and ensure no further violence is undertaken against you I am willing to make myself hostage for an exchange of information, and willing to leave my Mech Suit. Please respond if you're willing to attempt parlay and I will determine a meeting point, or you may choose one of your preference."

After that, Jacob moves. He can't move as quickly without the linked senses, at least not silently, but he can move corridors to try and prevent an attack on him while he's isolated.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

"We're going to move to a area devoid of patrols and transfer you between suits. Our intended plan is to move you to four suits who will seek to continue our randevouse. Our remaining team member will attempt to make contact with the queen for verification. We will attempt to delay or prevent any assaults or attacks on the station. Hopefully others will wake to corroborate this which will make things easier. Can we get the name of the local queen?"
    “I can’t really pronounce her original title, can’t even speak frequencies so low, but she told me ‘Ferra, First of Her Title, Queen of the Apohajs moon, the Edhsi asteroid belt, and the 3177489th Einst, Lady of Sol, Invader of the Earth Sphere, Lady Paramount of the crownseas, Princess of the Steel Nest, and Jhagri of the Great Void’ would be fine too.”

"Einst Queen Ferra, First of Her Name, Queen of the Apohajs moons, the Edhsi asteroid belt, and the 3177489th Einst, Lady of Sol, Invader of the Earth Sphere, Lady Paramount of the crownseas, Princess of the Steel Nest, and Jhagri of the Great Void, this is Miniboss 2 of Miniboss Squad transmitting openly. We've been informed that our assault on your station is due to errors in communication. In an attempt to peacefully resolve the situation and ensure no further violence is undertaken against you I am willing to make myself hostage for an exchange of information, and willing to leave my Mech Suit. Please respond if you're willing to attempt parlay and I will determine a meeting point, or you may choose one of your preference."
    Several of the wandering Einst seem to notice the message and start circling all around Jacob, tightening their formation. Simultaneously, the station’s speakers come to life and an alien voice speaks through them with a mix of curiosity and anger:
    “Ah, I knew you were still somewhere inside my lair. Just stay where you are, I’m coming for you now. It’s quite rude to just scurry around somebody else’s home after all. But how do I know you’re not just another distraction? Maybe you’re just a decoy drone transmitting a message? Maybe you’re a sacrifice to cover your companion’s escape? Give me back my guests, and you may yet last to see another orbital cycle.”
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Diplomacy check please.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler: Inside the Steel Nest
    Show

With that response, 2 moves. He's willing to risk himself, not commit suicide. He glides slowly through the station, seeking to evade the Einist search net. Meanwhile, he curses in his cockpit as he hugs the roof.

Spoiler: if he can get past the search net safely.
    Show

"Einist Queen Ferra, I have no captives. In return for a garuntee of safety I'll divest myself of my mechsuit and allow myself to be captured. Otherwise I will seek to escape."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Inside the Steel Nest
    Show

With the help of the automated door access codes provided before by the Einst Corporation to support his own stealth abilities, Jacob manages to barely evade the ring of drones, although there’s plenty still around.
    "Einist Queen Ferra, I have no captives. In return for a garuntee of safety I'll divest myself of my mechsuit and allow myself to be captured. Otherwise I will seek to escape."
    “...Agreed, better an earthling in one’s web than all escaping. Would you like some tea? I’ve been growing my own strain here based in leaves the princess graciously gifted me.”

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Show

After hearing the agreement, 2 immediately stops moving, and then descended to the floor. Invisibility and no detection magitehhnologies deactivate as his radio calls out once again on all frequencies. It likely won't make it out of the station, but it's more for the rest of the escaping squad anyway.

"This is Miniboss Two. I
    surrendering for diplomatic purposes into the custody of Einst Queen Ferra, First of Her Name, Queen of the Apohajs moons, the Edhsi asteroid belt, and the 3177489th Einst, Lady of Sol, Invader of the Earth Sphere, Lady Paramount of the crownseas, Princess of the Steel Nest, and Jhagri of the Great Void. I am beginning power down procedures and eject procedures. I am currently broadcasting my location in the metadata. I will be leaving my powered armor with my suit."

Meanwhile, 4 clones slow in their journey slightly. All wish good luck as they resume. It is a brave thing Jacob does, and not a single one fails to pray he will survive it.
    After all, it is surviving that makes it heroic bravery instead of stupidity, when it is only his life on the line.

[OOC: it'll take a few minutes to get out of his automated armor so he's disarmed. By that time, Miniboss should be able to get out of the station and hopefully randevue with the Aurora.]