New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ReSeed IC

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ReSeed IC

Space station XBH-781, aka Steel Nest

The reply from the Steel Crusaders takes some time:
    “I’m afraid that the exact details of the communications with the Ruin Monarch are to be kept on a ‘need to know basis’, and we consider you don’t need to know them for this mission. Get in, get the hostages, get out, get the bug boss too if the opportunity arises.

As for any layout of the facilities, we would love to share it with you but we’re out of luck in that point. The space station was built and run by the Einst Corporation and officially was declared a place for orbital research, but exactly what they did or were doing inside, they’ve kept it a pretty closed secret, until they just closed the place down some weeks ago, there’s no register of anybody going in or out since then until the Ruin Monarch got there.

Otherwise all we know about it it’s what can be directly observed from outside. External ring radius 1820 mu, core section radius 260 mu, and total length 690 mu. Life support systems still seem to be operational. Some class V einst can be seen patroling outside here and there sometimes, but we couldn’t identify a clear pattern.

Won't lie to you, this is a pretty risky mission. No hard feelings if you pass it up, but we'll make sure it's worth your time if you succeed.”
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-10-12 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With everyone in the briefing room of the Aurora, it's easy to see the collective of Miniboss Squad frown. All of them are in their Powered Armor, though all lack helmets as they look at pre-mission information.

"Thank's Crusader. We'll be sure to buy you a beer with the reward." Jade doesn't quite sound sarcastic in saying thanks, but it's close.

When the communication closes, James speaks up.
    "We can try it blind, but if you can ask the Einist Corporation for the floor plan and any access codes they're willing to spare and wait for the reply it'd be preferable. We'd be willing to give up some gold from before, but given we're aiming for freeing their station I doubt they'll charge much. Possibly just agree to release the station to them with a failure fine."
    When James says Corporation it sounds like he wants to spit.
    "Or we can begin suiting up now. Who was heading with us and who was waiting?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With everyone in the briefing room of the Aurora, it's easy to see the collective of Miniboss Squad frown. All of them are in their Powered Armor, though all lack helmets as they look at pre-mission information.

"Thank's Crusader. We'll be sure to buy you a beer with the reward." Jade doesn't quite sound sarcastic in saying thanks, but it's close.

When the communication closes, James speaks up.
    "We can try it blind, but if you can ask the Einist Corporation for the floor plan and any access codes they're willing to spare and wait for the reply it'd be preferable. We'd be willing to give up some gold from before, but given we're aiming for freeing their station I doubt they'll charge much. Possibly just agree to release the station to them with a failure fine."
    When James says Corporation it sounds like he wants to spit.
    "Or we can begin suiting up now. Who was heading with us and who was waiting?"
    "I think I might be able to convince the corporation to provide us some guidance. As for support during the operation itself, Omega Squadron will follow you in. Their mechs have been rigged for stealth operations, but their role will be in providing you with fire support the moment the situation escalates. To that end, I would ask Miniboss to take point until that time. Anyone else joining the extraction team?" The captain looked around the table as she asked. "If you're not on the extraction team, it means you're going to be on the Aurora standing by to provide a distraction if Miniboss and Omega get in trouble."

Spoiler: Einst corporation message
    Show

Dear,

I'm sending this message to inform you that Adamantine's Aurora will soon commence an operation to deal with the Ruin Monarch's hostage situation. As I'm certain you are aware, the Ruin Monarch occupies a former Einst Corporation research station. Unfortunately, details on the station itself are very sparse. This would necessitate any extraction team to approach very carefully and spend a lot of time exploring and mapping the station. I cannot guarantee that such an exploration would yield no information about the station's original purpose.

I have no interest in learning such things however. Just as, given the secrecy surrounding the station, the Eisnt corporation would presumably prefer it if we didn't learn anything untoward about the station either. To this end, I'd like to ask if an (unlabeled, of course) map of the station could be provided to us to streamline our operation and reduce the necessity of exploration. Or, if even that information is considered too sensitive, if someone with knowledge of the station could liaison with us and guide our team in and out.

I am certain you understand the importance of resolving the Ruin monarch situation, and I hope I have made it clear why cooperating with us on this manner would be more beneficial to the Einst Corporation than leaving us to our own devices within the station.

Regards,

Captain Theresa Evaro
    Aurora, Adamantine PMC
    Spoiler: Diplomacy roll
    Show

(1d20+20)[24]

Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank's Crusader. We'll be sure to buy you a beer with the reward."
    “Good soldiers know to drink after the mission, whetever success or victory. Over and out!”

Spoiler: Einst Corporation Reply
    Show

Dear captain.

It’s absurd to claim that the current status of XBH-781 after being taken by the Ruin Queen would reflect in any way the Einst Corporation’s past objectives for it. Should anybody wander inside in the near future, jump to hasty conclusions, and reveal them to the public, the Einst Corporation lawyers will be forced to start a proccess for difamation. We really hope it doesn’t need to get to that.

Neither we cannot supply you the internal maps of the facility since that is private information as per articles 218774HAH, 48124JHAS and 71873GSAI of the Einst Corporation’s orbital construction license (included in annex 1).

However in the name of fostering goodwill, we’re willing to provide you with security codes up to level A to XBH-781 (download annex 2). Those will both unlock any still sealed security doors and also make any remaining active automated defenses systems ignore you. I’m also allowed to inform you that from outside observation, external entry access 12 in the N sector has been ignored by the Ruin Queen’s brood so far and should grant you easy access inside XBH-781 as long as you evade any space drone patrols.

The Einst Corporation wishes you good fortune on your work.

Regards,

Communications officer representative class B4 Jennya.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Spoiler: Einst Corporation Reply
    Show

Dear captain.

It’s absurd to claim that the current status of XBH-781 after being taken by the Ruin Queen would reflect in any way the Einst Corporation’s past objectives for it. Should anybody wander inside in the near future, jump to hasty conclusions, and reveal them to the public, the Einst Corporation lawyers will be forced to start a proccess for difamation. We really hope it doesn’t need to get to that.

Neither we cannot supply you the internal maps of the facility since that is private information as per articles 218774HAH, 48124JHAS and 71873GSAI of the Einst Corporation’s orbital construction license (included in annex 1).

However in the name of fostering goodwill, we’re willing to provide you with security codes up to level A to XBH-781 (download annex 2). Those will both unlock any still sealed security doors and also make any remaining active automated defenses systems ignore you. I’m also allowed to inform you that from outside observation, external entry access 12 in the N sector has been ignored by the Ruin Queen’s brood so far and should grant you easy access inside XBH-781 as long as you evade any space drone patrols.

The Einst Corporation wishes you good fortune on your work.

Regards,

Communications officer representative class B4 Jennya.
    "Well, that's as much guidance as we can expect then. James, I've got a set of access codes and a suggested infiltration route for you." The captain made sure to send a copy of the codes to all members of the infiltration team, then looked over the Einst corporation's message one more time. She wondered whether communications officer Jennya had intended to reveal as much as she had about the station's purpose. The fact that the threat was specific to information being made public certainly spoke volumes.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rubii did have to snicker to herself about how the Crusader seemed to miss the sarcasm. She looks around the room, then speaks up after taking a sip from the sealed bottom at her side, "Well one of my mecha does have stealth efficiency and I could always outfit the others as appropriate. However I believe the extraction team should be small as possible to make it less likely to be discovered. So I guess we are on standby. Not much of a distraction team if we show up after they blow it though."
    ~Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the Illya Avatar!~

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Please thank them for the codes on our behalf... So it seems it's, our team on insertion, with you playing cavalry and distraction. We'll get our mechs ready... For insertion, to save time, I'd like it if we could be flung from the Aurora. If you accelerate dead on before turning, we can leap early, should save us a great deal of time, but more details will depend on what defences show up on sensors on approach. In either case, we'll need to be up on deck."

James braces as if to leave, then stops.

"While we can communicate via tight beam on approach, we won't be able to in the station, so communications will be kept at a minimum. We'll look at an investiture to get around that after this in the future, but our funds are all currently tied up."
    With that, James heads towards the Mech Bay. After all, there's nothing to do now but prepare while the Aurora gets under way.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2019-10-18 at 08:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

"Please thank them for the codes on our behalf... So it seems it's, our team on insertion, with you playing cavalry and distraction. We'll get our mechs ready... For insertion, to save time, I'd like it if we could be flung from the Aurora. If you accelerate dead on before turning, we can leap early, should save us a great deal of time, but more details will depend on what defences show up on sensors on approach. In either case, we'll need to be up on deck."
    Theresa shook her head and smiled. "That won't be necessary. The Aurora is equipped with launch catapults to facilitate such a maneuver, so there's no need to try and improvise a sling-shot maneuver."

James braces as if to leave, then stops.

"While we can communicate via tight beam on approach, we won't be able to in the station, so communications will be kept at a minimum. We'll look at an investiture to get around that after this in the future, but our funds are all currently tied up."
    "With your permission, I'll have the engineers install a special communications module on one of Miniboss' mechs. It's a special long-range system that should work under any circumstances except intentional jamming. More importantly, it is designed to be able to counteract the Aurora's own jamming. I'd prefer to have the option of shutting down communications for everyone else without losing contact with the infiltration team."

As James prepared to leave, the captain looked around the table one more time. "Unless anyone else has something to add, it's time we all headed to your stations. Captain Rubii, could you walk with me for a minute before you head to the hangar bay?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    "With your permission, I'll have the engineers install a special communications module on one of Miniboss' mechs."
    "Permission Granted."
    With that, James leaves the briefing room.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"A mission." Henna quietly nods as the others plan and brief.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Having agreed on what mission to take next and with preparations finished, you travel to Earth's orbit, exiting the atmosphere and reaching the dark sea of stars beyond it. Eventually Space station XBH-781, the 'Steel Nest', appears on your sensors, slowly dancing in the void. There's a fair amount of debris floating around it as well.

Spoiler
    Show

Ok, everybody please give me spot/listen/hide/move silently checks plus any special detection/stealth abilities you may have and whetever you're on team "infiltrate through door pointed out by Einst Corporation" or team "standby outside" (in which case how far away will you be waiting) or if you have other plans on your mind.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-10-21 at 11:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

The macabre grace of 'Steel Nest' reaches the sensors of Miniboss Squad... And is promptly ignored. Seals are double checked, but not triple, for each Zentradi is space capable several times over. Instead, while calmly waiting in the catapults, they instead perform last minute comm checks.

"Omega Actual this is Miniboss Actual, how copy over?"
    After all, there's nothing worse than accidentally shooting an ally in a stealth op. Not only are you suddenly a man down, but you've probably alerted everyone to your existence. As the two squads get ready to breach the doors, knowing that they'll be able to communicate with each other is vital, however slimm the chances of mistaking each other for Einist are.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Henna in her Huge green mecha is far from stealthy. She will hang back and let the others infiltrate, providing support when needed.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Spot (d20+4)[5]
    Hide (d20+3)[14]
    Listen (d20+3)[16]
    Move Silently (d20+4)[18]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

"Omega Actual this is Miniboss Actual, how copy over?"
    "Miniboss actual, this is Omega-1, I copy. We'll let you take point and follow in closely behind you. Please provide us with regular position updates over tightbeam, and we'll do the same. It'd be a shame to get separated in there, after all." Lt. Ilbar checked his tactical interface. The most recent update from Omega squadrons till showed them neatly holding position, which was good. They'd practiced stealth operations like this quite often, of course, but they'd only had one field operation before that, which had been a bit of a CF. So far, the Squadron had held together just fine though.

A hush had descended on the Aurora's bridge the moment the armor plates had slid into place over the bridge windows, broken intermittently by crew passing on information from their consoles. Captain Evaro could feel the tension in the air, but she wasn't worried. This crew had been through countless missions, and she knew that as soon as the storm broke, everyone would be ready to do what needed to be done.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Omega
    hide: (1d20+14)[21]
    move silent: (1d20+14)[18]
    spot: (1d20+13)[20]
    listen: (1d20)[18]

Aurora
    hide: (1d20+7)[9]
    move silent: (1d20+14)[18]
    spot: (1d20+15)[19]
    listen: (1d20)[5]

15. - Top - End - #105

Rubii nods, looking a small bit curious when Captian Evaro wish to speak. The very small input from Hena draws a stare from her. At the conclusion of the meeting she exchanges looks with her two crew members, the scientist's communicating only understanding that she'll be back while the einst queen seemed percieve a spoken sentence. She they gets up, closing her drink and follows Evaro out.

"How bad was it?" Xelya asks as Rubii walks into the specially segmented off bay. "All she wanted to ask me about is if you had a way to listen to or at least sense the communications of the Einst inside the station." The small Einst gives her a questioning set of pheromones. Rubii move her head to the side, "Pretty much. If we where right on top of them. But given that its best if we stay back that's not really an option." She looks up at her mecha. "I guess we should prepare for combat. Even if they get the hostages out I doubt this is going to be a fight we can sleep on." The small one gives her a nod, Rubii boards her mecha while Xelya walks into a drone.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Chief engineer Spence was relaying a final set of orders the mechanics when he spotted the mercenary captain enter the hangar bay. After sending the mechanics on their way he quickly moved to intercept here before she got to her mech. "Captain Rubii, I need a moment of your time." As he spoke, one of the hangars automated cranes lowered a small container next to him. "Captain Evaro asked me to make a set of IFF trackers for your...biological weapon-platforms." He gestured towards the container. "If you're planning on deploying them during this operation, we'd appreciate it if you could attach these, so we can have them properly marked on everyone's displays. The units themselves are a simple but secure communications system and a reinforced collar that should allow you to attach them to a wide a variety of limbs or other appendages you believe appropriate. Please don't stick them on anything at serious risk of being blown off though, we'd prefer to keep friendly fire incidents to the absolute minimum."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-10-23 at 01:49 PM. Reason: too many 'them' in one sentence

17. - Top - End - #107

"Gotcha, there's gonna be a lot of 'bugs' out there," she says, using air quotes on the word bug. "Matthew, would you secure these please?" She would wait to see if the engineer wanted anything else before walking off. "Of course," her scientist says, hitting few buttons on his display screen. A somewhat flashy looking mecha would grab the container and bring it to where the drones where. Tools popping out from various parts of its arms, it would remove then attach one to each of Xelya's three drones.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YuweaCurtis View Post
    "Gotcha, there's gonna be a lot of 'bugs' out there," she says, using air quotes on the word bug. "Matthew, would you secure these please?" She would wait to see if the engineer wanted anything else before walking off. "Of course," her scientist says, hitting few buttons on his display screen. A somewhat flashy looking mecha would grab the container and bring it to where the drones where. Tools popping out from various parts of its arms, it would remove then attach one to each of Xelya's three drones.
    "There's one other thing. Those mechs of yours..." The Chief Engineer gestures to the Gespent class Mechs belonging to captain Rubii's outfit. "Is there anything I need to know about them? They seem like typical Gespent's, but they're rare to see in these kind of operations. Spence Shrugs. "I'm in charge of managing the repair crews here, and if these mechs are equipped with, I don't know, experimental matter-antimatter implosion drives for improved performance or something like that, I'd prefer to know about it before one of these returns to the deck heavily damaged and in need of immediate repairs."
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-10-23 at 03:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

She inwardly sighs before turning around, looking a bit irritated. "Typical? Have you taken a close enough look? That plating is nothing like you'll get on even higher end mecha. Also what do you mean 'this type of missions'? I run all sort of operations." Her posture relaxes and she cross her arms. "Anyways, you don't have to worry about doing any repairs, that's why I brought my scientist here. We do have some of our own materials, but I imagine we can get some from you if needed? You needn't worry though, even though they are hybrid technology, there's nothing volatile in there... Well not enough to cause concern anyways."
    Last edited by YuweaCurtis; 2019-10-24 at 11:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

The engineer scowled at captain Rubii's outburst, though his irritation was aimed at himself, not her. "Ah, don't mistake my comment as meant to be disparaging of your mechs. You wouldn't be here if you weren't very good at your job, and you wouldn't be as good if you picked sub-par tools for the job, so I concluded that your mechs, despite appearing like an older model, have an atypical edge of some sort. But if you say that they're not volatile and that the rest is your business, I'll leave it at that. Either way, if you need any replacement parts, we can forge those on the ship if you provide me with the specifications." Spence seemed to want to add something else, but a loud klaxon called for all crew to head to their stations. "Good hunting out there, Captain." he said as he left for the control center overseeing the hangar bay.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-10-24 at 04:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

First everything seems to be going fine. As you approach the Steel Nest you easily spot a dozen dark drones patroling the void around it.

At first they seem to don’t notice you, but after a few seconds their flight patterns suddenly turn towards Omega squad and the huge einst move to intercept their energy trail with pinpoint acuraccy! There’s still time for Omega squad to turn back and retreat, but if they keep going they’ll be forced to engage the drone patrol.

Miniboss squad however has managed to avoid detection as the drones fully focus on the less stealthy Omega squad. They could get the first shot in the engagement. In the other hand, the access external entry access 12 is less than half a minute away and Miniboss squd could safely make it inside the Steel Nest if they kept going.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

"Captain, we've got several Einst patrolling the outside of the station visible on Sensors." The officer manning the sensor's station reported.

"Get me a detailed scan. I want to know what we're up against out there." The captain responded.

"Detailed scan coming up now. Wait, their flight pattern changed. They're heading on an intercept course with Omega Squadron!"
    Spoiler: so yes, I'm using the scan spirit
    Show

Theresa Evaro spirit: 72/77

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Scanning…
    Show

Name: V879-Wasserspeier void strain
    HP: 80/80
    Energy: 67/100
    Spirit: [null error missigno]
    Feats: [null error missigno]
    AC: 33 (reduced to 31 by Scan)
    DR: 15
    Movement: 20 mu, fly 165 mu.
    Bioweapons: Sterne Beam, Königin Missiles, Hellebarde Ei, Drone Bite

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With his miles on whisper Miniboss patches through to Omega
    "Actual. Fall back but try to hold their attention. If they think it's a failed infiltration they'll be too busy looking outside. We'll call if we see an opportunity. Don't respond over."

Using tightbeams to communicate, Miniboss is probably safe, it doesn't mean they're not all tense as they stop moving, cloak systems on overdrive as energy trails cut off. Distance is key to stealth, and up close immobility is going to help more.

Spoiler
    Show

Stop moving to negate listen/move silently.
    Invisibility is +20 to hide so I should be fine floating in space. Miniboss will resume moving when the drones and Omega move away, or they will resume infiltration should combat commence.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

"Actual. Fall back but try to hold their attention. If they think it's a failed infiltration they'll be too busy looking outside. We'll call if we see an opportunity. Don't respond over."
    Lt. Ilbar found himself in a difficult position. He agreed with Miniboss-actual's suggestion, but he took his orders from captain Evaro, and those orders where... a flashing light on his display indicated the mission's objectives had been updated and Omega Squadron had been ordered to disengage. the Lt. let out a sigh of relief as he gave the order. "Omega Squadron, disengage."

"Are you kidding me? We can take these bugs!" Sgt. Vera voiced her complaint immediately. However, the position updates she send showed that she, like everyone else in the squadron, had turned around and was flying away from the station at best speed.

"Keep scanning the bugs at six-second intervals. I want to know how long they can sustain those speeds." The captain watched the tactical screen as Omega Squadron began their retreat. They'd fly as fast as possible away from the station before returning to stealth mode to try and shake their pursuers. If that failed, the Aurora itself would have to get involved in shaking them off.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

As Omega squad retreats, the drones turn back and do another checkup of the area, but fail to find the still cloaked Miniboss squad and eventually leave to resume their perimeter patrol. Miniboss squad feel like if they’re going to get inside the Steel Nest, this would be the best time.

Spoiler: If Miniboss squad accesses entry access 12
    Show

The access codes work fine and the airlock opens. There still seems to be some power and a breathable atmosphere once past the security door. Dim lights flicker on the corridors. You don’t need to advance a lot to start seeing signs of the einst infestation, alien spore patches, marks of claws and bioacid burns.

With some more scouting you manage to get a basic layout of the area. Several other sections of the Steel Nest are blocked, either with reinforced electronic doors that your current clearance level can’t open or strange alien growths that look destroyable but that would surely cause some ruckus.

All along you can’t stop noticing several security cameras of the facility are still working silently, recording everything going inside.

Most rooms have been picked clean and there’s only dozens of drones seemingly resting, but in one section there’s a bunch of humans wrapped up inside thick coccoons of alien nature with just their heads and neck out, although that’s enough to see they’re wearing clothing that is (or at least was) high-quality, one of them having long blond hair and expensive jewelery that really screams “princess”. Another half dozen of drones similar to the ones spotted outside are wandering around this section, awake and aware. There’s no way of approaching the hostages whitout getting really close to the einst in the current situation.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Silence.
    "C."
    A pause.
    "O."
    A slightly different one.
    "M."
    Shorter.
    "E."
    Longer.

Over a period of about 2 minutes Miniboss squad requests Omega try their approach one more time, to break off again if spotted, before sending the letters O, V, E and R.

Meanwhile, Miniboss begins to string out, keeping in tight beam communication as their membership moves further into the station.

Spoiler: Inside the Station, IC
    Show

Moving with the silence of trained experts, 2's screen is obscured by a map and passcode list, as his mech follows ones movement's mechanically, trusting Actual to guide the squad. Slowly they break up, staying close enough to retain communications and sensor sharing as their sensors peirce the metal of the station's less isolated sections, running to the maximum to ensure they're not surprised.

Spoiler: Assuming they can get deep enough with the distance limits provided.
    Show

Sighting on the captured humans, Actual sighs, quickly turning off his radio so that he speaks to just his black box.

"Thoughts log. We're not going to be able to transport the captives safely without leaving at least one of the Mecha. It's likely a weapon system will need jettisoning to allow space for the captives, but I'm not certain how well our environmental systems will handle that. Falling back to discuss plans."
    With that, Actual begins moving back, signalling the squad to reconvene on Miniboss 5.

Spoiler: Inside the Station, OOC notes.
    Show

Due to Mecha scale Miniboss Squad can spread out up to 30mu apart, but will retain line of sight to each other. If they'd lose line of sight they'll remain closer together.

Each can move 40mu as a full round action without stealth penalty, and are taking pains to avoid touching anything, also trying to give room for einist to pass through the easiest path out of the station, to avoid bumping.

The rearmost Miniboss Member (5, or Janet) will retain line of sight with the Aurora, as she's tightbeaming the request to it.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

"Time to give this another go. Omega Squadron, prepare for another stealth approach to the station." Lt. Ilbar plotted a new course and sent them to the rest of the Squadron.

"Omega-1, If I may make a suggestion?" Corporal Montega's soft voice come in clearly over Giles' headset.

"Go ahead, Omega-4." It was rare for her to speak up like this during missions, but when she did, it was worth paying attention to her.

"Miniboss needs as much help as they can get, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to gamble on it being all or nothing. What if we split up in two groups, approaching from slightly different angles? If the first group gets spotted, they can try to draw the drones away to give the second group an opening."

The lieutenant considered for a moment. He didn't like the idea of splitting up his squadron at all, but the corporal's suggestion made sense. He considered calling the Aurora to discuss the plan, but he already knew that the captain would agree with Montega's suggestion, so that'd just be a waste of time. "Very well. Omega-2, Omega-4, you will be the second wave. 3 and 5, you're with me." He gave the second wave a moment to reposition, then led his group in.

Spoiler: stealth
    Show

Both waves are still running all the stealth equipment (so invisible, harder to spot even with special senses, etc.)

Wave 1:
    move silent: [roll]1d20+14[\roll]
    hide: [roll]1d20+14[\roll]

Wave 2:
    move silent: [roll]1d20+14[\roll]
    hide: [roll]1d20+14[\roll]

edit: oops, rolls will be in the OOC thread.

Last edited by DeTess; 2019-11-02 at 06:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Omega Squad splitting up just makes the drone patrol split up as well and start moving to intercept both groups simultaneously. Their senses are sharp enough to notice the ploy. Miniboss squad is on their own inside the Steel Nest unless Omega squad is willing to force their way through.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

"captain, the drones are converging on both elements of Omega squadron."

Captain Evaro suppressed a curse. "Order them back, then signal to Miniboss that we can't sneak through, but are standing by to make some noise the moment they need it."