The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default [OOC] Trouble in St. Canard

Here is the OOC thread for this game. Please repost your characters for ease of reference and perform the traditional color claims.

edit : spoiler-y colors !

Darkwing Duck speaks in Purple
    Quackerjack speaks in Indigo
    Megavolt speaks in Golden Rod
    Launchpad speaks in Dark Orange
    Negaduck speaks in Bolded Black
    Gryzlikoff speaks in Bolded Maroon
    Steelbeak speaks in Dark Gray
    Gosalyn speaks in Violet
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-30 at 08:46 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Col. Arnold von Schaefer - SHUSH Time Travel Agent

Spoiler
    Show

A SHUSH agent who travelled back in time to investigate the whereabouts of Darkwing Duck. Against the order of SHUSH director Vladimir Gryzlikoff, Schaefer stole a wrist mounted time travel prototype based on quackerjack's seized time top to travel back in time.

Despite the organization of SHUSH in shambles, stitched together by 37 additional rule books and 91, mostly ignored - additional directives, Director Gryzlikoff refuses to do something about the vanished Masked Mallard. "Finally some peace and quiet." the bear muttered. It is likely SHUSH has sent additional agents after Von Schaefer with directions to stop him, however most agents are clear in that while Darkwing wasn't the most efficient or subtle, his effort was not in vain.

Super-Spy [4]
    Gadgets and Gizmos [4]
    Smoothtalker [2] (pump)

Arnold talks in saddle brown
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-23 at 05:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Trouble in St. Canard

Nice! Guess I'll just claim red.

Vera Vita Vincett the Sauceress Supreme

Overall concept is a psychic, fortune-telling sorceress with, of course, marvelous cooking skills. Also a parody of Dr. Strange.

Sorceress [3]
    Psychic (3)
    Saucier (3)

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Once a world-renowned chef, Vera's sense of taste and smell was lost after a new, experimental perfume proved itself deadly in a rare allergic reaction. After recovering from the incident, Vera could cook no more, and searched for ways to regain her senses, but to no avail. Only after making the cliche visit to a remote monastery in a far off country and learning spiritual techniques from some monks, was she able to finally fully sense the world again.. albeit in a different way, and then some. Having acquired tremendous power and knowledge, she realized she no longer wanted fame and money, and so she settled down with her own little mysterious boutique shop in the fair city of St. Canard, where it seemed interesting things were always happening, and where plot dictates she be of course...

Spoiler: current infos
    Show
    Vera is an anthropomorphic chicken, the slender pretty kind. She has tawny hair with a slight curl to it. By day she has a mundane life, running a small store that sells unique cooking supplies and hippy-dippy new age stuff, and she has a secret identity. Her actual name is Vivian Verde.

By night Vivian has a super hero alter ego that she might use, Vera Vita Vincett. The back end of her store actually has some real mystic artifacts, meant for those in the know that she can trust, and sometimes she'll pose as a "contact" for a gifted psychic, an excuse for someone to meet Vera Vita Vincett.

While in her alter ego to maintain her secret identity, VVV looks a lot like your stereotypical gypsy fortune teller and has a lot more makeup. She wears a red bandana, a voluminous red hooded cloak, a folk dress, a large pendant and other gaudy jewelry. Some of it is probably magical!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-18 at 08:17 PM.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I feel a chicken is always fitting. It is a bird, it is a delicious food item.

Spoiler
    Show

And as a hidden bonus, my snarky dog can now make ALL OF THE FOOD PUNS with you as the dinner.
    Hey, I actually missed this... I was battling a stupid lousy internet connection all last night.

Well, a duck or a chicken, it doesn't make too much difference to me at this point, because I guess it's basically cosmetic. Maybe a chicken does fit her personality better though... being a chef, food related, reluctant to use her powers...

Eh what the heck. I'll just change her race to a chicken for the glorious food puns.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    Spoiler: refrence
    Show

Description-
    Glen Glomgold. Nephew of Flint Glomgold and use his access to Flint's money for good. believe that asFanboy of ninjas and a proud scottish duck he can bring justice.

double pump-Scottish-3(6)
    Ninja Fanboy-4
    Glomgold's credit card-2

background
    Glen is a sort of nephew of Flint. Flint hate him, and gave him a credit card for a promise to never interact with him, and especialy not to claim inheritance. Glen use the money to be a hero

_____

Now better?
    Heh. Well, he at least tryin' lad!

I can imagine fun interactions with Arnold
    You go ahead while my head canon will substitute your character's voice by Duff Killigan.
    "Aye! This quite the fine dubber ta haive! Ah aprove! Also now, ah own t'a color blue you scubords!"

----

We have quite the amusing trio. But I think mine will.outdork you all
    Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

6. - Top - End - #6

(Though, he might be too far for the villians to hear)
    You might distract them with a bagpipes solo.

e: I assume the DC to grapple the villain is rather high so I look forward to the fun failure.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-19 at 11:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Sporeegg, I think you forgot the tiny change on your sheet regarding total cost at 13. You said you would switch your Super-spy and Action hero values, right?

Answering some questions and doing some rolling :
    1) I don't know if rollv is needed or the normal roll command would suffice.
    You did fine. I specifically asked for rollv so we can keep what was rolled in case of mistakes like forgetting a dice penalty.

e: I assume the DC to grapple the villain is rather high so I look forward to the fun failure.
    You're now engaged in a superhero fight, so he's going to fight back as a Crazy toymaker (3) : (3d6)[4][3][5](12)

Hope I am doing it right...
    You are doing it right. Your soundwaves are disrupting the grunt squad of Megavolted RC toys (4), but there is quite a bunch of them... (4d6)[1][1][3][6](11)
    You might even attract the attention of Megavolt himself, but I'm still holding his action until our sauceress supreme makes her move.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah still looks like there is a points discrepancy... Maybe you could even just do:

Super-Spy [4]
    Gadgets and Gizmos (4)

The reason being martial arts and disguises could all fall under the umbrella of being a super spy. It's all in the movies how they pose as different people and get into fist fights. Heck, gadgets and gizmos could also fall under that, but I think keeping it as a separate dice pool, that makes a nice fallback for a conveniently useful and powerful gadget that could save your bacon.. also, just as in the movies.

Hm, did I say fingertips? Maybe I meant feather tips. Or chicken fingers.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-19 at 02:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Rolling again for Megavolted RC toys (3) : (3d6)[1][2][2](5)

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

VVV defends with ... her psychic powers!

(3d6)[4][6][2](12)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I've actually been watching the episodes, and I notice that not only is the speed very fast-paced, but they're full of little jokes and puns! And quite a lot of inconsequential slapstick. The fights against villains are pretty wonky too, where people frequently pull objects from out of nowhere. I even just saw an episode where Darkwing Duck falls out of a helicopter, only to reappear on the passenger door again 2 seconds later. I'm wondering if the cartoons are even too zany for the Risus system.

In any case.. I am just thinking that maybe I am playing too seriously? I don't know. Or maybe emulating the cartoons as close as possible, while certainly could be an entertaining plot for an episode, actually wouldn't be good for a game like this. What I can tell you is I'm trying to be fun and thinking of little jokes, but, sorry if I'm not doing it well.

12. - Top - End - #12

There are a lot of characters that take themselves seriously in universe so I don't see that as a particular problem to be honest. Be prepared to be cut down to size. As a close comparison, look at the character of Morgana Mawcaber. She should abide by the same comic book rules but she is never flattened or crushed, or drops.

But if you expect all your spells to go flawlessly, oh boy. :)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, I've been rolling pretty well and they've all been above average so far. Just wait till I roll a 3...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I think seriouse characters are requirment for a good comedy.

I derped my dice.
    So..

Ninja fanboy!
    (4d6)[5][2][3][3](13)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Well, it's clearly a slapstick cartoon show with point blank explosion scoffed off like they're nothing and hammerspace in full effect, but it still have a sense of consistency with how characters stay down when punched hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I even just saw an episode where Darkwing Duck falls out of a helicopter, only to reappear on the passenger door again 2 seconds later. I'm wondering if the cartoons are even too zany for the Risus system.
    I think I remember that one. We see Darkwing pushed out but we don't see him falling, so I just assumed he did an awesome acrobatic swinging move offscreen to come back in the cockpit on the other side, and as a result I've never seen it as a Bugs Bunny teleportation move.

However, if you're looking for blatant editing errors, I got you covered. There is an episode with Steelbeak relaxing in a snappy purple bathrobe when FOWL high command calls him. Then it cuts to him in his tuxedo, still talking with high command, so I assumed he dressed up super fast. Then back in his bathrobe, and that's when I started being perplexed. Then back in his tuxedo. And then some more switching until his teammate of the week shows up. The scene does the same cutting mistake almost a dozen times in something like 2 minutes. It's completely ridiculous.

____

Our Crazy toymaker (3) shouldn't have trouble dodging the falling shepard : (3d6)[2][5][4](11)

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    I dunno what I'm doing. Some kind of maneuver! You get stealth! You get stealth! Everyone gets stealth!
    I'm going to read that as an attack on Quackerjack, since he's the one you were worrying about and he's also going after the cube. And he's going to ask Mr. Banana Brain (3) to guide him through the fog : (3d6)[5][6][1](12)
    The smoke will also have some extra impact on the scene.

When he wore the barrel, he could barely see anything as it is, and sneaked away doing sneaky voices, and humming the background music.
    I'll read that sneaking as an attack against the wall of RC cars in your way, wich are going to pump one of their remaining Megavolted RC toys (2) dice to stand a chance : (3d6)[1][5][6](12)

Wich leaves us with Megavolt, who's really mad now, and is going to attack VVV again, still with his Electric powers (3) : (3d6)[6][1][4](11)

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Uh... nah, the fog reaaally wasn't an "attack" on anyone... it's not my intention. I just wanted to change the environment and maybe get some kind of cover. Because as far as Vera knows, it's 2v1. And yup, megavolt is still pissed at her.

Now admittedly, I have no idea how to handle the fog thing, which is a problem. I think an ability that meets and beats it could dispel/disperse it, but as for how the fog works actually, I was hoping it wouldn't be so simple as anyone can just attack anyone still.

Or hey, I know, what about temporary bonus "stealth" (2) dice for everyone?

---

So, since Quackerjack's roll is higher than my fog, does that simply mean.. he bumps into me? Or is Mr Banana gonna poke me in the eye too and I lose a die?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-20 at 01:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Well, Risus use the terms "attack", "combat" and "exhaustion" in a very broad sense. Right now you're "fighting" over who gets to the cube first to get a tactical advantage. This is clearly an opposed roll as part of a broader fight, so I'm just resolving it like any other attack for simplicity's sake. Your magic not actualy helping you this round is good enough for a lost dice, but I'm writing something a bit more nasty anyway.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-20 at 02:00 AM.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so I guess to defend from Megavolt, suppose I can't think of anything other than using her Psychic cliche to try to predict where he is shooting, scampering from car to car with the fog that was just created.

If I win.. I suppose he'll just have wasted a ton of his juice on misses and lose a die. If I lose.. he probably gets me after the first couple shots and we have a cooked chicken.

(3d6)[6][2][6](14)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

That's clearly targetting what's left of Megavolt's Electric powers (2) : (2d6)[1][2](3)
    edit : and with that attack using an inappropriate cliché, he's down. I was expecting him to be the heavy hitter of that fight and he didn't win a single round. Dang.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-20 at 03:16 AM.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Now the big question is, does it count as an inappropriate themed attack to make him lose 3 dice instead of one?

edit: I probably phrased it wrong. The cliche, saucier, which is literally a cook that specializes in sauces, is clearly an inappropriate cliche for a fight, let alone a superhero fight. But yeah, I did find a way to use something cooking related, a fork, to make an attack. lol

double edit: yeaah, i just got really lucky. even if the bad guy has more dice, if he rolls below average, and I roll above average, it can still be a win...
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-20 at 04:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Then back in his bathrobe, and that's when I started being perplexed. Then back in his tuxedo. And then some more switching until his teammate of the week shows up. The scene does the same cutting mistake almost a dozen times in something like 2 minutes. It's completely ridiculous.
    I think that was in the late 90s when animation for syndicated TV shows was majorly outsourced to Asia.

Oh yeah still looks like there is a points discrepancy... Maybe you could even just do:

Super-Spy [4]
    Gadgets and Gizmos (4)
    How about:

Super-Spy [4]
    Gadgets and Gizmos [4]
    Smoothtalker [2] (pump)

This makes him skilled in spying, with gadgets, and allows for hilarious variance with the girls and guys, and give me a reason to be the "face" of the group somewhat. I tend to take that role regardless of character anyway but with a somewhat shy sorcerer and a pampered rich boy, I assume Arnold will be the most relatable.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

How about:

Super-Spy [4]
    Gadgets and Gizmos [4]
    Smoothtalker [2] (pump)
    Works for me. So far you would technicaly have taken one dice of damage on both Super-Spy and Gadgets and Gizmos, but the extra ranks could have prevented them so I'm just going to ignore the one on Super-Spy. Also no rerolling needed this way.
    Nitpick : Risus recomends using parentheses () for regular clichés and brackets [] for double pump.

Pre-rolling the Crazy toymaker (3) car dodging : (3d6)[6][4][3](13)
    And waiting on the kilt ninja before writing up the IC result.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-20 at 09:52 AM.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I have a feeling Arnold is gonna get slapped in the face a lot with a double pump die that's only 2, and especially if he's making food puns.

He doesn't necessarily have to be the party face. Vera's only getting into the superhero stuff, so I'm thinking she'll get more used to it later. Even the psychic cliche could be used to read people's minds and tell them what they want to hear. And Kilt Ninja might do a fair bit of intimidation with his Scottish.

In any case, a party face might not even exist very well in this system...

Hmm, I guess I have to give you the answer to get in the car on the next round?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Well, if nobody else has an appropriate cliché, it's either an automatic success or I have to give 2 extra dice to everyone involved and suddenly it's a Smoothtalker [4].

I guess you can decide wether or not you want to hop in right now. But igordragonian still has his attack for the round coming.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I am not sure I exactly understand how the pump thing work..

P.S
    Also, I am obliged to use the barrel.
    But it this scottish or ninja at all?

Well, at social challenges Kilt Ninja will throw his uncle's money at people.

It probably won't bite him back...
    Last edited by igordragonian; 2019-08-21 at 01:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

A pump lets you roll X extra dice, but then you will always suffer X die loss after the results. Plus if you lose, you lose dice too. You can pump anything.

For instance, you could pump your Glomgold's Credit Card(2) by 1. You will then make a roll with 3 dice instead of two. Winners and losers are determined as normal where you could lose dice, and then after all that, you always remove 1 die.

Now the double pumps are different in that you only lose half the die you pump. Soo, you could take your Scottish[3] and pump it by 4 dice. You'll roll 7 dice that round, resolve winners and losers, and then after that you'll lose 2 dice from Scottish.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2019-08-21 at 01:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

It's hard to tell what you're even trying to do. What do you mean by use the barrel? Kilt Ninja got into the car while still inside his barrel but.. what exactly is he doing to need an ability for?

It looks as though he may just be passing a turn so he can just wait to form a group with the others.. which I think is perfectly valid strategy. But I don't know if that's your intentions, or if you were still planning to make a move somehow.

Or are you going to throw the barrel? Ooooh I know, reminds me of the old Caber Toss...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Basically, the car is going to catch up (and maybe run over) Quackerjack, and then I need you to try an actual attack before everyone else because you're the only one who still has one to do this round.
    You could jump off the car for a flying kick, you could throw the barrel as you're catching up, you could be ejected off the car by sudden braking and catapult yourself in Quackerjack's face, and plenty more. Or I can narrate the car catching up first.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Just so we are clear for future reference... is passing a turn an acceptable thing to do sometimes?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Sometimes, sure. Just make sure to point it out.

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    I wish you could be