New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I'm so Very Indecisive

Help! I need to have a character ready for Curse of Strahd by Friday, but I can't even decide what class to play. I mostly keep going back and forth between Celestial Warlock, Cleric, Hexblade Warlock, and Paladin.

One player has decided on playing a Hobgoblin Wizard. And the other is probably going to play either a Barbarian or a Rogue.

The ability scores I rolled are 18, 15, 13, 12, 9, and 9. I was pretty stoked about rolling an 18. But in a sense, that just puts more pressure on me to build a character I like. Otherwise, I'll feel like I wasted it.

Celestial Warlock looks fun. I like the casting mechanic of the Warlock class as a whole. Getting spells that replenish on a short rest will probably encourage me to actually use them, instead of always hoarding them for a "later" that might never come. And in particular, getting healing spells that replenish on a short rest seems like it should make for some pretty good party endurance. The only thing that really gives me pause is that we might wind up as being a Rogue, a Warlock, and a Wizard, which might be too squishy a party.

Life domain Cleric would sort of give me healing that replenishes on a short rest, but it would only be up to half max HP. On the other hand, unlike the Celestial Warlock, I'd have proficiency with heavy armor and shields.

Hexblade Warlock would be more robust that other Warlocks. And using Charisma for attack and damage with weapons could easily be flavored into a nice "holy warrior" thing. But then I don't think there's a way to get Cure Wounds as a Warlock spell? Or how does multiclassing a regular spellcasting class with Warlock work?

Paladin is a pretty obvious choice for combining "can heal" with "not squishy." And eventually getting Extra Attack would mean I wouldn't waste my entire turn if one roll goes badly. But I feel like the extra-limited nature of Paladin casting will make me even more likely to sit on my (few) spell slots, and never actually cast anything.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: I'm so Very Indecisive

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    The ability scores I rolled are 18, 15, 13, 12, 9, and 9. I was pretty stoked about rolling an 18. But in a sense, that just puts more pressure on me to build a character I like. Otherwise, I'll feel like I wasted it.

Hexblade Warlock would be more robust that other Warlocks. And using Charisma for attack and damage with weapons could easily be flavored into a nice "holy warrior" thing. But then I don't think there's a way to get Cure Wounds as a Warlock spell? Or how does multiclassing a regular spellcasting class with Warlock work?
    No healer would force the other players to take short rests, perfect for a warlock.
    Half-elf would allow for Dex14 / Con16 / Cha20, but I would seriously consider PAM vuman with Cha18.
    If you really want some form of "heal", take inspiring leader instead of PAM.

MC has no impact on warlock spell slots, merging only happens between long-rest casters.
    Bard is the easiest way to get acces to heals, but nothing beats short-rests or the healer feat.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I like clerics with heavy armor.

my two copper pieces

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For Curse of Strahd, I would think the party could really use a cleric for turn undead, with grave or light being my preferences. A devotion paladin would be great too. I've always thought a necromancer wizard would be fun for this campaign, but an evoker with sculpted sickening radiance or dawn might be more helpful.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2019-08-18 at 06:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

In my Curse of Strahd game, our party began to cope with things much better when my mink died and I switched to a life cleric. The extra healing and access to turn undead were a literally life savers.

Admittedly I was a vuman with magic initiate for goodberry and shillelagh, which also helped significantly due to even more healing and damage potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You can get Healing spells for you hexblade with multiclassing.

I recommend Divine Soul.
    I will say, take 2 hex/X Divine or 3 Divine/X Hex

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

I would go Paladin myself, as Paladin spells also refresh on a short rest, and if you want access to more spells, take one level of Celestial Warlock. Spell slots are interchangeable, and Paladins spell slots scale in quantity many times faster than Warlock ones. Also, being able to choose what spell level to cast a healing spell is slightly more important than other spells, as healing somebody for 3d8 HP is great and all unless they don't need that much and you use one of your 2 spell slots to do it. Also heavy armor combined with AoA is always a nice combo.
    Last edited by Nagog; 2019-08-19 at 08:17 AM.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nagog View Post
    I would go Paladin myself, as Paladin spells also refresh on a short rest, and if you want access to more spells, take one level of Celestial Warlock. Spell slots are interchangeable, and Paladins spell slots scale in quantity many times faster than Warlock ones. Also, being able to choose what spell level to cast a healing spell is slightly more important than other spells, as healing somebody for 3d8 HP is great and all unless they don't need that much and you use one of your 2 spell slots to do it. Also heavy armor combined with AoA is always a nice combo.
    Paladin spell slots do not refresh on a short rest. Also, the stats you have will be a bit difficult to make a paladin single class work well since you really want decent strength, charisma and constitution. However, you could do a paladin/hexblade mutliclass but that would still require at least a 13 in strength.

Your best bet may be the suggested hexblade/divine soul sorcerer to pick up healing word. If you want to stick to ranged damage with agonizing blast and some healing support the celestial warlock would also work. You can also do lore bard since they have some of the healing spells on their spell list. Three levels of bard/sorcerer gives you 4 first and 2 second level spell slots which are in addition to any warlock slots.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post
    Paladin spell slots do not refresh on a short rest. Also, the stats you have will be a bit difficult to make a paladin single class work well since you really want decent strength, charisma and constitution. However, you could do a paladin/hexblade mutliclass but that would still require at least a 13 in strength.

Your best bet may be the suggested hexblade/divine soul sorcerer to pick up healing word. If you want to stick to ranged damage with agonizing blast and some healing support the celestial warlock would also work. You can also do lore bard since they have some of the healing spells on their spell list. Three levels of bard/sorcerer gives you 4 first and 2 second level spell slots which are in addition to any warlock slots.
    My bad, I was thinking of Channel Divinity. Even so, Paladin sounds more like what the party needs (Tank and heals if the other member goes Rogue, Healing and Support if they go Barb). I could see a Palladin/Bard working well if the other player goes Barb to lean into the support role a little more while still retaining the tankiness and versatility of the Paladin. As for the stats, while Hexblade is SAD, Paladins by definition MAD, but if you want to be completely level, Hexblade needs Con even more than a paladin due to the hit dice disparity and Armor Proficiency loss. In relation, Paladin only really needed Str and Cha, and depending on the style you play, you only really need one of them maxed (Front line needs Str more then Cha, as most front line spells for Pally don't require saves, caster play needs more Cha for saves and attack bonus).
    Last edited by Nagog; 2019-08-19 at 09:26 AM.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keravath View Post

I don't think a pure paladin would be that hard with the rolled stats. Go mountain dwarf for the +2 str/con. at level 1 you have 20 str, 17 con, 13 cha, 12 wis, 9 dex, 9 int. First ASI get Greater Dragonmark (passage (if using eberron books)) or Resilient for +1 con and extra proficiency in a saving throw (I'd go with dex) OR+1 to both con and cha. Having 20str, 18 con at level 4 isn't bad. From there on one more ASI into con and then pump cha after that.
    Last edited by Dessunri; 2019-08-19 at 10:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Drow for sure and maybe a Lore Bard, to round out a smaller party, or a Druid.

Drow will work well in the types of areas vampires like.

Bards can heal enough to keep members from dying in combat and Lore Bards can do virtually anything besides tank well. Grabbing them 2 spells from any class @ 5 or 6 rocks.

Druids are full casters who can heal plus they have them animal shennanigans, especially moon druids. Then can soak up damage well and dish it out. I think the class features lend themselves wo longer adventuring days so to say.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I push this a lot (Probably because im playing it now in ToA, and wishing i had rolled it in my Curse of Strahd)...but

Im really enjoying Arcana Cleric (As detailed in an awesome guide by Ludic).

V. Human
    You can start with a 18 in Wisdom, and bump the 15 to a 16, and the 13 to a 14.

Str 9
    Dex 14
    Con 16
    Int 12 or 9
    Wis 18
    Cha 9 or 12
    Feat: Magic Initiate - Druid (Shillelagh, Thorn Whip, Goodberry or Absorb Elements)

Pick up Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade

You've got 18 AC, Good HP. Your melee scales very nicely with BB/Shillelagh. Your spells, like Spirit Guardians, Word of Radiance, etc, are AoE radiant damage. You have healing up the Wazoo with Healing word, Goodberry, etc.

Level 4, you can pick up Warcaster OR Wis 20. Then the other at level 8.

Really allows you to capitalize on that 18, as this build is basically only dependent on Wisdom.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-08-19 at 11:58 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devotion Paladin is ABSOLUTELY the way to go here.

Why?

Immune to Charms at lv7
    All Paladins get +Cha Mod to saving throws at lv6
    And the biggest reason.... Sacred Weapon.

Folks, in my Curse of Strahd game, the Sacred Weapon ability has saved our lives quite a few times. You can run into some NASTY stuff in that module, and lots of them have resistance to non-magical weapons.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    For Curse of Strahd, I would think the party could really use a cleric for turn undead, with grave or light being my preferences. A devotion paladin would be great too. I've always thought a necromancer wizard would be fun for this campaign, but an evoker with sculpted sickening radiance or dawn might be more helpful.
    Paladin and cleric Will absolutely be invaluable in a CoS campaign. In the later stages of the game they Just make everyone else untouchable. I'm currently mastering CoS and my party had a sorcadin and a forge cleric, they're both powerhouses

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Lets not forget the Devotion Paladin's second CD ability, Turn the Unholy, works on both Undead as well as Fiends.

Just.... something to consider.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dessunri View Post
    I don't think a pure paladin would be that hard with the rolled stats. Go mountain dwarf for the +2 str/con. at level 1 you have 20 str, 17 con, 13 cha, 12 wis, 9 dex, 9 int. First ASI get Greater Dragonmark (passage (if using eberron books)) or Resilient for +1 con and extra proficiency in a saving throw (I'd go with dex) OR+1 to both con and cha. Having 20str, 18 con at level 4 isn't bad. From there on one more ASI into con and then pump cha after that.
    This doesn't work. Resilient doesn't work that way. The ability save you gain proficiency in has to be the same one you took the bonus in. You can't get a plus 1 Con and Dex proficiency

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, okay, taking into account some of the suggestions here, these are the ideas I'm currently kicking around.

Sword and Board Paladin

Str: 18 (base) +1 (variant human) +1 (feat) = 20
    Dex: 12
    Con: 13
    Int: 9
    Wis: 9
    Cha: 15 (base) +1 (variant human) = 16

Feat: Weapon Master (Fighting style [Dueling])

I'll start off with +7 attack, 1d8+7 damage, and 19 AC.

Future Plans
    Take Defense as my (Paladin) Fighting Style and (eventually) obtain full plate, for 21 AC
    Round my Constitution out to 14 by taking the Resilient feat
    Just deal with having terrible Int and Wis until I get Aura of Protection

Or maybe I should switch Con and Cha around? When I initially distributed those stats, I was under the mistaken impression that the Durable feat let me add double my con bonus to max hit points at each level. After I realized my mistake, I switched it out for the Resilient feat instead. But I didn't go back and redo my ability scores.

On the other hand, +Cha to stuff.

Preventative Medicine Hexblade

Str: 12
    Dex: 13 (base) +1 (variant human) = 14
    Con: 15 (base +1 (variant human) = 16
    Cha: 18

Feat: Inspiring Leader

So, try to enter battle with everyone having 5 temp HP whenever possible.

Future Plans
    Take Pact of the Blade
    Bump Charisma at 4th level

Charismeister Paladin

Str: 13 (base) +1 (variant human) = 14

Future Plans
    Try to take a level of Hexblade (not sure how finding a trainer or whatever works)
    Other than that one level, stick with Paladin

I'm leaning towards that first one, actually.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Hmm, okay, taking into account some of the suggestions here, these are the ideas I'm currently kicking around.

Sword and Board Paladin

Future Plans
    Take Defense as my (Paladin) Fighting Style and (eventually) obtain full plate, for 21 AC

Or maybe I should switch Con and Cha around? When I initially distributed those stats, I was under the mistaken impression that the Durable feat let me add double my con bonus to max hit points at each level. After I realized my mistake, I switched it out for the Resilient feat instead. But I didn't go back and redo my ability scores.

Preventative Medicine Hexblade

Str: 12
    Dex: 13 (base) +1 (variant human) = 14

So, try to enter battle with everyone having 5 temp HP whenever possible.

Future Plans
    Take Pact of the Blade

Charismeister Paladin

Str: 13 (base) +1 (variant human) = 14

Future Plans
    Try to take a level of Hexblade (not sure how finding a trainer or whatever works)
    Other than that one level, stick with Paladin

I'm leaning towards that first one, actually.
    In that first scenario, you'd probably be better off using a Spear/Shield and picking up Polearm Master with your feat. It'd be a Bonus Action 1d4+5 attack, Plus Opportunity attacks with reactions.

I'd still recommend the Arcana Cleric move, When you get Potent Spellcasting (+Wis to Cantrip Damage) you start dropping crazy damage. If someone can Dissonant whispers or something you start dropping like 8d8+20 or 12d8+20 damage. It gets pretty crazy.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'll toss on Shepherd Druid. Party wide AoE heals and Inspiring Leader THP without the feat is pretty great. Add on Moonbeam to kill vampires without staking them, and you have a winning strategy.

If you just want to heal, combine with Life Cleric 1 for that sweet sweet 1d6+4 Healing Spirit and 4hp Goodberries.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Sword and Board Paladin

Future Plans

I'd rather go HAM than dueling fighting style. But again, I don't know what you'll meet in CoS.

I'd even say Str18 is good enough. You'll gain more from Con14 and PAM or inspiring leader.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

I'm presuming you're starting at level 1.

For interest, I went with the following for the same campaign, and I ran

Variant Human, Vengeance Paladin. I took the Shield Mastery feat.
    At level 4, I took the War Caster feat.
    Once I hit level 6, I went into Celestial Warlock. (I waited until I had hit my levle 5 paladin second attack).

I found that the two synced up really well together - while crossing the battlefield, I could run and use Eldritch Blast until I closed the distance, then ensued with the beatdown. Shield Mastery had allowed me to push down first (this was fine by my DM - your DM may vary) but it also came in handy for several other encounters - nothing like being the guy who walks out of a fireball untouched, or making yourself the artificer's target for his alchemical molotovs when you're surrounded by angry warhounds.

The other plus was that with warlock, my paladin spell slots now refreshed on a short rest, meaning it was regularly Smite O'Clock.

Sadly, I died to a ********** at level 7; by the time I'd rolled up my new PC and introduced him though, we realised the DM had misread the damage and my PC should have totally survived, but oh well, que sera sera. I found that the pallock combo worked very well for me, and allowed me to maintain an aggressive playstyle

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

22. - Top - End - #22

Might I suggest:

A champion fighter?

It's a horror campaign. Playing things that specifically work well in the setting detract from the horror a touch. Your companions are a rogue and a wizard; neither of them are particularly suited to the challenges that Ravenloft will throw at them, but they're both generalist enough to exist in the setting. Embrace being a little unoptimized and watching you and your friends die... or survive and go mad with grief.

But, you know, aside from that observation:

The second option you presented seems more fun to me. Having someone who can cheerlead in a cheerless land seems impossibly valuable.

The first one is unlikely to hit the AC you want because Ravenloft is an inherently resource deprived setting. If you go in with the expectation of finding gear or even spell components, you've prepared for a different setting. Even if you stumble into treasure, there's no one to trade it with, because no one has anything of value to trade. And if there is something they have, you can bet what they want is something shockingly difficult to acquire in exchange. In short, Plate is not a given in this setting. A plus one sword is not a given in this setting. A 50 gp diamond is not a given in this setting.
    It's part of the charm.
    Also, are you using a different weapon master feat? I don't believe the standard imparts a fighting style, instead providing proficiency with four weapons of your choice. As you're already proficient with pretty much all weapons as a paladin, I'm not sure it's a great choice.
    But even if your DM is running a variant of Weapon Master, Ravenloft is a setting that punishes weakness. It isn't a setting that particularly rewards strengths, but it is one that punishes weakness. Having a 20 strength could well be for naught when you have a 9 int and wisdom. You'd probably be better off embracing an 18 strength, picking up Resilient: Wisdom, and mitigating that weakness as best you can. Immediately netting a 3 to that save will probably help you a lot more than +1 hit and damage.
    But whatever's most fun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loki_ragnarock View Post
    It's a horror campaign. Playing things that specifically work well in the setting detract from the horror a touch.
    I will contrast this with the following:

Horror needs a touch of hope to work. One man truly equipped to stand against darkness is what causes you to keep going. And there is no more devastating narrative beat than the monster snuffing out that hope in an instant.

For related reasons, playing a paladin is painting a bull's eye on your back for Strahd. There's no reason for him to NOT kill you first.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, on the one hand, the DM has actually said he'd like me to play "a goody-two-shoes," because it would make it easier for him to steer the party. And he also said that, assuming the 3rd guy plays a Rogue, we'll need "a front-line fighter." (And he seems to really be hoping that the 3rd guy will play a Rogue.) So Paladin seemed like it fit the bill.

On the other hand, I keep trying to come up with personalities and backgrounds for a Paladin, and I keep coming up with people I don't want to play as. The only fun Paladin concept I've thought of is an Aasimar who treats everybody like dirt, because he's a physical manifestation of the gods' will on Earth, and who are they? But for that concept, I was hoping for a Paladin/Hexblade multiclass. Banking on that would probably leave me with poor weapon skills at 1st level. And I'm not certain that Ravenloft is a good place to try to find a friendly mentor. Also, I think not wearing full plate would really undermine the "knight in shining armor" feel, at least for me.

So, that reduces the ideas I'm digging down to Inspiring Leader or Polearm Mastery on a Cleric or Fighter, or ... no actually just that.

Maybe I should make a Rogue, in case the 3rd guy goes Barbarian? The DM said he wanted someone good with traps, so maybe I'd take Expertise in Perception and Thieves' Tools, and be a variant Human with the Dungeon Delver feat?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

When I'm stuck trying to pick a class because I'm in the mood to play two or more classes for their mechanics, I forget about the class and concentrate on the character's personality. How do I roleplay him? In a hypothetical encounter of my own design what does he want to do about it? When he's not adventuring what will he do? Answering these questions narrows down the classes. When I end up with two classes I reask myself the questions and make new ones. I eventually find myself leaning towards a particular modus operandi, and that determines the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

My experience running Curse of Strahd was that it was mostly single-big-encounter days. There are maybe two real dungeons (the Amber Temple and Castle Ravenloft itself); otherwise, it's mostly one overwhelmingly deadly encounter a day. I actually wound up switching my group's Warlock to 6 slots/long rest so that he could keep up.

For the Paladin/Hexblade idea, you could always start as a Paladin (getting your heavy armor and weapon skills) and mix in Warlock later on, as you get corrupted by the dismal horror of Barovia...
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

27. - Top - End - #27

Lizardfolk

Well, on the one hand, the DM has actually said he'd like me to play "a goody-two-shoes," because it would make it easier for him to steer the party. And he also said that, assuming the 3rd guy plays a Rogue, we'll need "a front-line fighter." (And he seems to really be hoping that the 3rd guy will play a Rogue.) So Paladin seemed like it fit the bill.

On the other hand, I keep trying to come up with personalities and backgrounds for a Paladin, and I keep coming up with people I don't want to play as. The only fun Paladin concept I've thought of is an Aasimar who treats everybody like dirt, because he's a physical manifestation of the gods' will on Earth, and who are they? But for that concept, I was hoping for a Paladin/Hexblade multiclass. Banking on that would probably leave me with poor weapon skills at 1st level. And I'm not certain that Ravenloft is a good place to try to find a friendly mentor. Also, I think not wearing full plate would really undermine the "knight in shining armor" feel, at least for me.

So, that reduces the ideas I'm digging down to Inspiring Leader or Polearm Mastery on a Cleric or Fighter, or ... no actually just that.

Maybe I should make a Rogue, in case the 3rd guy goes Barbarian? The DM said he wanted someone good with traps, so maybe I'd take Expertise in Perception and Thieves' Tools, and be a variant Human with the Dungeon Delver feat?
    If the DM allows UA, I'd look into the Oath of Treachery. It's Channel Divinity can be really useful and fun, and lends to a more rogue-ish playstyle out of combat. I'd then nab a background that gives you thieves tools and other skill proficiencies to complete the bill. With that build, you will fill all of the following roles:

Party Tank
    Party DPS
    Party Healer
    Party Rogue

All with a single class Paladin. As for the narrative background and personality, don't fall into the trap of thinking you are required to be religious to be a Paladin. Paladins are suggested (but not required by RAW) to be devoted to a few ideals based on their Oath, but there's no need to be religious about it if you don't want to be. For example, I have an NPC in my campaign who's a Cleric Oath of Trickery who's the main city's Mob Boss. He goes by Doc, and on more than one occasion he's had his Duplicate arrested, as by law the actions of his duplicate cannot be held against him and it's been painted in such a light that he's being framed via illusion magic. Not the typical Clerical feel, and I love it.