New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Can Undead Swarms Be Controlled?

So I'm going through Libris Mortis and I happened upon the Bloodmote Cloud and the Bone Rat Swarm. Supposing that a party went up against one and an evil-aligned cleric attempted to rebuke them in order to gain control of the swarm, could they? Or are they immune by nature of being a swarm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Can Undead Swarms Be Controlled?

RAW is a little ambiguous, but I think I'd allow it. Swarms are immune to single-target effects or effects that target a specific number of creatures, but otherwise have Hit Dice as if they were one creature. Rebuke Undead affects all undead within a specific radius, but with a cap of total Hit Dice rather than total individuals.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree with the above analysis. Effects that rely on a number of hit dice rather than a given number of creatures are efficient against swarms. (For examples, calm animals can soothe an animal swarm.)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

This is great. So, what undead swarms are there?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not only can they be turned/rebuked, it's actually easier. Libris Mortis:

UNDEAD SWARMS AND TURNING

Because undead swarms are made up of many weak undead
    creatures, they are more vulnerable to turning than normal
    undead. For all purposes related to a turning check or turning
    damage, treat the undead swarm as having only one-half (50%)
    of its normal Hit Dice. Add any turn resistance only after halving
    the swarm’s HD.
    As for undead swarms, I'm not as versed with 3.5 monsters these days but Pathfinder has several - Skull Swarms, Bonestorms, Carrionstorms, Drocha, Hungry Mists, Ubashki to name some. You should be able to port these back to 3.5 pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

In addition to the aforementioned bloodmote cloud and bone rat swarm, there's also the corpse rat swarm and the ephemeral swarm,

Not sure how that turning undead rule would interact with monsters with the swarmshifter template.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Not only can they be turned/rebuked, it's actually easier. Libris Mortis:

As for undead swarms, I'm not as versed with 3.5 monsters these days but Pathfinder has several - Skull Swarms, Bonestorms, Carrionstorms, Drocha, Hungry Mists, Ubashki to name some. You should be able to port these back to 3.5 pretty easily.
    Huh. I missed that. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Control undead targets 2 HD/CL worth of undead, so would also work on undead swarms. Control undead is not rebuke/command, though, so the halving of HD doesn't apply by the RAW. (You could probably talk a DM into allowing it, though.)

It's important to note that Necromancy spells which compel, control, or even possess undead are NOT mind-affecting, so the usual immunities to that don't work. You can even magic jar the undead, and any swarm with a hive mind. (Can't do it to one without, though; they still are immune to n-target effects.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Control undead targets 2 HD/CL worth of undead, so would also work on undead swarms. Control undead is not rebuke/command, though, so the halving of HD doesn't apply by the RAW. (You could probably talk a DM into allowing it, though.)
    I'd say it's less clear-cut than that - since the spell does still target creatures, I can see a DM ruling it falls foul of the Swarm immunity. So, check that while you're having the conversation with your DM, too.

While you're there, see if you can get them to agree those special rules apply to Mobs (DMG2) as well...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    I'd say it's less clear-cut than that - since the spell does still target creatures, I can see a DM ruling it falls foul of the Swarm immunity. So, check that while you're having the conversation with your DM, too.

While you're there, see if you can get them to agree those special rules apply to Mobs (DMG2) as well...
    No, it targets "HD of creatures." For it to target creatures, it would have to specify a number of creatures it targets. This is why even Chain command undead wouldn't work: it targets CL+1 creatures. But control undead targets "up to 2 HD per level of creatures." Which isn't a number of CREATURES. It's a number of HIT DICE WORTH of creatures. Which a swarm manifestly is.

It does say "no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart," but swarms are contained within squares 10 ft. on a side, so it won't run afoul of that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it targets "HD of creatures." For it to target creatures, it would have to specify a number of creatures it targets. This is why even Chain command undead wouldn't work: it targets CL+1 creatures. But control undead targets "up to 2 HD per level of creatures." Which isn't a number of CREATURES. It's a number of HIT DICE WORTH of creatures. Which a swarm manifestly is.

It does say "no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart," but swarms are contained within squares 10 ft. on a side, so it won't run afoul of that.
    I mean, I disagree with your conclusions and I disagree with your reasoning, but I'm not interested in arguing with you. I was only pointing out that it's not as clear cut as other examples.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

The All-Consuming Hunger from the Forgotten Realms Underdark supplement is another undead swarm.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's important to note that Necromancy spells which compel, control, or even possess undead are NOT mind-affecting, so the usual immunities to that don't work. You can even magic jar the undead, and any swarm with a hive mind. (Can't do it to one without, though; they still are immune to n-target effects.)
    I read the Libris Mortis entry as saying to count a 4 HD swarm as 2 HD to determine whether or not you could turn/rebuke it, but it still counts as 4 HD against your control pool.

Further, I would rule that, while you control the swarm, you don't control the individuals. Any individual undead remaining after the swarm is dispersed are uncontrolled.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    I read the Libris Mortis entry as saying to count a 4 HD swarm as 2 HD to determine whether or not you could turn/rebuke it, but it still counts as 4 HD against your control pool.

Further, I would rule that, while you control the swarm, you don't control the individuals. Any individual undead remaining after the swarm is dispersed are uncontrolled.
    The latter point is fiddly to consider, since technically they still have HD and control undead controls HD of undead, but at the same time, a "dispersed" swarm ceases to be a "creature" for almost all intents and purposes. I don't think the system expects PCs to have to deal with the aftermath of a dispersed swarm's individuals.