The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Stoneform Chain - For restraining high escape risk detainees [3.5 Magic Item]

Stoneform Chain

This masterwork adamantine chain is adorned with glowing runes and appear to be of the finest quality. When this chain occupies the same space as a subject (or one of the same spaces in the case of a large or larger creature, the chain will not function if multiple subjects are occupying the same space as the chain) for 3 rounds it automatically sizes appropriately to wrap around them, creates a lock fastening its two ends, and the subject it is wrapped around must make a DC 22 Fortitude save each round or be turned to stone. A subject turned to stone by this chain remains in that state until the chain is removed.

Due to the nature of the purpose of this item, there is often a social stigma around them. It is very unlikely to resale such items at a good price (it's possible that the starting price could be a quarter of full value at best), and in some cases merchants may not want to do business with a seller carrying them.

Strong Transmutation; CL 15; Craft Wondrous Item, polymorph any object; Price 120,000 gp; Weight 1 lb;

===

For when you have someone you want to detain, but they're really difficult to keep detained. Also means you don't have to feed them.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2019-08-27 at 02:07 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Stoneform Manacles - For restraining high escape risk detainees [3.5 Magic Item]

Nice. Just 2 comments - it might be hard to lug around a petrified prisoner, and I suggest using flesh to stone to calculate the price as it's cheaper (and you might even apply an additional discount given how niche the effect is).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Stoneform Manacles - For restraining high escape risk detainees [3.5 Magic Item]

Nice idea, don't quite understand the price tag comment however, I mean yes certain magic items are likely to be looked down upon or be illegal, but that's more a DM call than something for the description.

Unless, of course, it is to prevent escaping criminals making bank. How about them having them need a key to unlock them if picking them open is a worry, or just go with rferries' advice.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Stoneform Manacles - For restraining high escape risk detainees [3.5 Magic Item]

Actually these are more of a DM item, but I wanted them to be accessible to players. The high cost was for easy story justification of why a prison wouldn't have multiples. Also, the polymorph any object is so that they work even on things not made of flesh and conceivably could "resize" to work on things without wrists. I'm not sure about most of that though and the point about reduction in price could work. I'll have to think more about the weight thing. I figured it would give "weight" to the situation :p, but yeah. Pricing is always a challenge.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2019-08-24 at 02:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The item is just fine.

But if you want an item that will effect everything, you don't really want ''manacles". Manacles are for humanoids.

You'd want: a Stoneform Chain.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inchhighguy View Post
    The item is just fine.

But if you want an item that will effect everything, you don't really want ''manacles". Manacles are for humanoids.

You'd want: a Stoneform Chain.
    Needs to have a lock so it takes a little effort to remove. Maybe a transmutation to form one though... I'm liking it...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Needs to have a lock so it takes a little effort to remove. Maybe a transmutation to form one though... I'm liking it...
    Some chains do have built in locks.......

Maybe to keep the 'Earth' type make it Stoneform Exeiler, or Oil or Mud. Something that is poured on to a target and it expends and covers them and turns them to stone.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inchhighguy View Post
    Some chains do have built in locks.......

Maybe to keep the 'Earth' type make it Stoneform Exeiler, or Oil or Mud. Something that is poured on to a target and it expends and covers them and turns them to stone.
    Going with the chain idea. Figured out how to make it work I think. Edited original post. Admittedly, I don't know about pricing and other stuff. It's just the idea being available for now for those who want/need to use it.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2019-08-27 at 02:08 AM.