New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default My DM has given me a Legendary Shield... What does it do?

Without delving into specifics, as it could spoil a certain published adventure, the party managed to save a Bronze Dragon from a terrible fate. My Paladin has played a pivotal role in this (and being a Redemption Paladin, it was very thematic) the dragon gave me a magic shield made from his scales that has previously belonged to a close ally of his.

The issue is, neither I or the DM really know what the shield does. He had decided to introduce the item for me but wanted to consult with me afterwards on effects that might go with it.

Here's all I know about the shield so far:
    -It shares the functions of a Periapt of Wound Closure while worn.
    -It will not have any additional bonuses to AC.
    -It is considered a legendary one of a kind item.
    -The DM wants it to exemplify my Paladin's traits as the strategist and defensive backbone of the party.
    -Important: DM wants to avoid giving it features using my reaction as I already have plenty of them.

The best we've been able to come up with since the session is that I could mark an ally (within a short distance, we didn't decide) using my bonus action and if that ally would be hit by an attack before the start of my next turn I can teleport to a space within 5ft of them and become the target of the attack instead. I like the idea, it seems pretty strong. That's about all we got instead of just tacking on extra spells or magic item features. The discussion is open on what effects I might want it to have as the DM does like the players input.

I'm looking for some alternate perspectives, what kind of magical effects would be tied to a powerful magical shield made for a devoted protector?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: My DM has given me a Legendary Shield... What does it do?

All the following suggestions are intended to be x per long rest/short rest, or consume daily charges. I don’t presume you would get more than one of them, but hey, I’m not really sure how powerful this is intended to be.

As a bonus action the player sweeps the shield forcefully through a great arc, create an expanding wave of energy that knocks enemies prone. Affects all targets in a 10’ radius, in 180 degrees. Targets resist with a successful athletics or acrobatics check contested against the player’s athletics check, with the addition of the shield’s AC bonus.

As a bonus action, the player can instantly teleport any friendly unit they can see within 60’ to another location they can see within 60’

The player may cast wall of force as a bonus action.

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

Not all these at once, but just offering ideas.

1.Resistance to Lightning damage

2. Thunderwave (as a 4th level spell; 5d8 and DC15) 2x/Long Rest

3. Add Resistance to Thunder and Lightning damage to your Paladin Aura.

4. As a Bonus Action, grant one ally within 30' Disengage as a Reaction up to Cha mod times per day.

5. Add Cha mod to Initiative

6. While the shield is equipped, the bearer is immune to forced movement from spell effects, shoves, and grapples.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe something based off the Bronze Dragon's Repulsion Breath from the MM? Bonus action for Strength save vs 10 ft forced movement for all enemies within 30 ft, DC based on whatever the Breath Weapon of the dragon you received it from was (young/adult/ancient). Be able to use it Cha mod times per day, recharges at dawn.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Advantage on a saving throw once per short rest.

Grant all allies within paladin aura advantage on a save once per long rest.

Wall of force as an action once per long rest.

Cast shield as a reaction, targeting an ally within 30', 3/long rest.

Once per short rest the shield can be commanded to hover near a target for up to 5 rounds. This grants the target the shields AC bonus and any other special abilities (and your paladin loses it.) The shield may move up to 30' a round. If the player moves faster than that they lose the shield's bonus. Your player can target himself if he wanted to dual wield or use a 2 hander.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Create a new aura like the Paladin Auras. Make this aura a 20ft radius aura. Now the Paladin has a new defensive feature that cares about the positioning (and thus strategy) of the group.

The 5E Holy Avenger has this ability:
    While you hold the drawn sword, it creates an aura in a 10-foot radius around you. You and all creatures friendly to you in the aura have advantage on Saving Throws against Spells and other magical Effects. If you have 17 or more levels in the Paladin class, the radius of the aura increases to 30 feet.

So like that, but a static 20ft and a different ability.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2019-08-20 at 07:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomeWizardGuy

Requires attunement, gain all the following
    -All allies not wearing a shield within your aura gain the AC bonus as if they were wearing a shield.
    -Resistance to thunder and lightning damage
    -The wielded cannot be forced to move (or be teleported, levitated, etc) against his will by any means.

Yeah, some are repeats from above, credit where credit is due.
    Emongnome

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You put the shield on your arm (most use the left arm), keep the shield toward the most dangerous enemies, and it protect you from attack!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Crgaston View Post
    3. Add Resistance to Thunder and Lightning damage to your Paladin Aura.
    5. Add Cha mod to Initiative
    6. While the shield is equipped, the bearer is immune to forced movement from spell effects, shoves, and grapples.
    i like these. they seem thematic to leader paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRogueGuy

Once per short rest, when you are targeted by a beam or cone effect, you can use your reaction to redirect that effect to a point up to 60 feet away. In other words, you bounce it off to somewhere else including potentially back at the attacker.

After a long rest, touch a companion. That companion receives a +2 to AC until your next long rest as a spectral copy of your shield hovers about them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    the dragon gave me a magic shield made from his scales that has previously belonged to a close ally of his.
    Heh. "Thank you for your aid, tiny mouse. Here's one of my fingernails. Have fun."

12. - Top - End - #12

- Toboggan: When travelling down hill, you can forgo the AC bonus provided by the shield to increase your speed to 100'/round.
    - Buoyant: This shield can float. By forgoing the AC bonus, you can stand upon it and move along the surface of liquids at your normal movement speed.
    - Shiny: Man, this shield looks impressive. You gain advantage on Charisma checks.
    - Panic Button: 3/day, you may cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. When used this way, the shield leaves your grasp to engulf the target in a zone of perfect protection. You may not use the shield when using this ability, though you need not maintain concentration on the effect, as the shield does that on it's own.

Surf down a hill. Surf across an ocean. Look good doing it. Keep the people you love safe in a pinch... or screw with the people that you don't love so much for a few actions.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loki_ragnarock View Post
    - Toboggan: When travelling down hill, you can forgo the AC bonus provided by the shield to increase your speed to 100'/round.
    - Buoyant: This shield can float. By forgoing the AC bonus, you can stand upon it and move along the surface of liquids at your normal movement speed.
    - Shiny: Man, this shield looks impressive. You gain advantage on Charisma checks.
    - Panic Button: 3/day, you may cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. When used this way, the shield leaves your grasp to engulf the target in a zone of perfect protection. You may not use the shield when using this ability, though you need not maintain concentration on the effect, as the shield does that on it's own.

Surf down a hill. Surf across an ocean. Look good doing it. Keep the people you love safe in a pinch... or screw with the people that you don't love so much for a few actions.
    As impractical as those first two ideas are, I really enjoy them. The advantage on Charisma checks is such a simple but powerful bonus, I might try to get that one worked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Reevh View Post
    Heh. "Thank you for your aid, tiny mouse. Here's one of my fingernails. Have fun."
    Given the dragon's size, it really would be only just a bit larger than his claw. Got a laugh out of me.

Another idea has popped up between the DM and I, involving marking an ally once more, where they can gain the benefits of my aura effects at a greater distance. I thought this effect was quite potent so I recommended that it would either take concentration or be limited to once/day or requiring charges shared to activated additional effects.

We've been comparing it to legendary weapons (Wave, Azuredge, Holy Avenger) where they seem to have 1 major benefit and at least 2 minor benefits. I think the Periapt functionality is intended to cover a minor benefit. A fancier effect, like casting Resilient Sphere 3 times a day or the extended aura would be major.

Really liking a lot of the ideas so far, it's given me quite a lot to work with. Much appreciated.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

If you take the dodge action you may also give a teammate within 5 feet of you the benefits of the dodge effect.

As a bonus action you utter a holy word and present your shield, you may expend a spell level and give all allies within 10 feet 1d8 + 1d8 per spell level temporary hit points.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I like the idea of adding Lightning Resistance to your Paladin Aura, it really feels right for the item.

I'd also say, Warding Bond 1/LR. Lastly, you can use a Bonus Action when you make a melee attack to force an enemy to make a Strength save vs your Spell DC or be moved 15 feet away from you.

I would also say that you develop a flaw of some sort, a compulsion to turn criminals over to the authorities, or a hatred of pirates/bandits perhaps? Maybe you feel a strong desire to build an art gallery, or you're never truly comfortable unless you can hear the ocean.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Another idea has popped up between the DM and I, involving marking an ally once more, where they can gain the benefits of my aura effects at a greater distance. I thought this effect was quite potent so I recommended that it would either take concentration or be limited to once/day or requiring charges shared to activated additional effects.
    While increasing the distance can be a really interesting effect, it is not a very scary effect. Even at a 10ft radius a Paladin is able to cover most of your party. When someone is doing something dangerous, they often can have a Paladin follow 10ft behind them.

If you want an increased aura radius, think in terms of affecting more than your party (10ft radius is fine for a party). What if the shield extended you Auras of Protection, Guardian, and Courage to an entire small village. Ritual takes 1 hour to enact, effects everyone within 1 mile radius, and lasts 4 hours.

That effect would not be a big change during normal adventuring, but would be a neat Legendary moment if you needed to protect a crowd of innocents.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2019-08-20 at 11:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Even at a 10ft radius a Paladin is able to cover most of your party.
    It's interesting how occasionally someone says something which shows they're playing the game in a totally different way than you.

In the games I've played in a 10ft aura is often lucky to include 2 people, let alone the entire party.

On topic the below suggestions are intended to spur ideas as much as actual suggestions

As cliche as it is, a Captain America style shield throw <stat/charge> times per long rest to impose disadvantage on an attack with a set range.

Make it sentient and give it expertise in a skill.

Set the shield as a bonus action and then acts as Boots of the Winding Path style effect (allowing you to go and help someone without giving up a defensive line/position - perhaps grant enhanced speed and no opportunity attacks for that turn).

Nullification of crits on allies within radius.

Blade Ward as a bonus action <stat/charge> times per long rest.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    It's interesting how occasionally someone says something which shows they're playing the game in a totally different way than you.

In the games I've played in a 10ft aura is often lucky to include 2 people, let alone the entire party.
    I had the same thought, it's been a constant struggle to keep our 75ft speed monk tethered within a reasonable distance. Being able to keep them protected while they can still go be the speedy monk they want to be would be an ideal trait for the shield to have. I'm particularly fond of the ideas that allow the shield to impose itself over them even at the cost of my own protection but my DM is pretty adamant about avoiding further AC boosts at the moment, we're pretty above average already (24 AC Monk, still takes the most hits).

The party just picked up a flyer which only makes things more difficult on this front. I was hesitant to even bring it up with the DM because as a Paladin the limited range of my aura's is just about the only counterplay he has to work with. They're very powerful effects.

The shield throw idea I like, it reminds me that this character is based off (in a very roundabout way) a character I had put together in Divinity:OS 2 who has specialized in the geomancy and martial skills. Shield Throw was his most damaging skill, which for those who don't know, does damage equal to the armor the shield grants. A bouncing shield that deals damage equal to my AC isn't completely overpowered and it would be pretty dang cool.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's all I know about the shield so far:
    -It shares the functions of a Periapt of Wound Closure while worn.
    -It will not have any additional bonuses to AC.
    -It is considered a legendary one of a kind item.
    -The DM wants it to exemplify my Paladin's traits as the strategist and defensive backbone of the party.
    -Important: DM wants to avoid giving it features using my reaction as I already have plenty of them.

The best we've been able to come up with since the session is that I could mark an ally (within a short distance, we didn't decide) using my bonus action and if that ally would be hit by an attack before the start of my next turn I can teleport to a space within 5ft of them and become the target of the attack instead. I like the idea, it seems pretty strong. That's about all we got instead of just tacking on extra spells or magic item features. The discussion is open on what effects I might want it to have as the DM does like the players input.

I'm looking for some alternate perspectives, what kind of magical effects would be tied to a powerful magical shield made for a devoted protector?
    This sounds like a very cool item you have been given. The two sentences I've bolded seem to contradict each other though. Even if you use your bonus action to assign the character you are protecting, you are teleporting on the opponent's turn to be the target of the attack. That has to be a reaction, since it is on the opponent's turn.

You appear to like the shield throwing idea. What if the shield allowed you to use the battle master maneuver goading attack three times a day, activated by throwing the shield as one of your attacks? You don't have superiority dice, but could assign a damage for the shield as a throwing weapon, say 1d6 plus dex modifier? It would give the guy you hit with the thrown shield disadvantage on his next attack, unless it's against you. That kind of fits with being a protector, but the possible downside is how good is your dex? Will you be able to hit guys by throwing your shield at them? And what happens to your shield if you miss?

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by saucerhead; 2019-08-21 at 09:36 AM.
    Skill monkeys, away!

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

advantage to intiative checks. helps with strategist / defensive mindset. considering paladins typically have low dex, this would be a nice boon.
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

As an action, can spend a charge to cast Telekinesis by presenting the shield at the target. A beam that looks like a bronze dragon’s repulsive breath extends out to the target and is used like a tractor beam while controlling it.

The shield has 6 charges and regains 1d6 charges per day. If it is out of charges when the wielder takes a short rest, it regains on charge on the roll of a 5 or 6 on a d6.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I'd like to thank everyone for taking their time to help me out. Game is tomorrow morning, I'll let you know what the finalized features are for the shield as soon as I've got them.