New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Next character - Trickster

So, I'm looking at my next character for a future campaign (I've been told we will be switching back and forth between a city campaign upgraded from Pathfinder and Mad Mage depending on the DM). So, I can let my mind start to wander. I'm thinking a trickster type character, an illusionist and a manipulator of people. Always pulling pranks and causing trouble. The rolled stat array I have to work with is 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16

Would it make for a viable character for both combat and social to do a Changeling Hexblade/Arcane Trickster? I was thinking Pact of the Tome Hexblade 3/AT X (the campaign should go to level 15 or so). Hexblade for charisma to hit, invocations, and hexblade curse. The AT for a roguish character. I would prefer to focus on weapons over EB on this character.

I know I want Misty Visions for this character, do I need Mask of Many faces if I'm a changeling? What other invocations would make sense? What level progression would you do? Any other thoughts you can throw my way?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Next character - Trickster

Just to throw it out there, Elven Accuracy synergizes extremely well with sneak attack, shadow blade, and Hexblade's curse. You'll end up with triple advantage every round in dim light. This lets you use a shield and be confident your sneak attack will probably hit. Plus, when you've got Hexblade's curse up, you have a nearly 30% chance to crit, which is amazing with sneak attack.

Regardless, a changeling Hexblade/AT is very viable.
    Last edited by Reevh; 2019-08-20 at 09:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd start Hexblade 5 for thirsting blade. The extra attack with hex/hexblade's curse should make up for the lost d6 of sneak attack and this gets you 3rd level spells earlier. Then you can go AT for the rest.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    I'd start Hexblade 5 for thirsting blade. The extra attack with hex/hexblade's curse should make up for the lost d6 of sneak attack and this gets you 3rd level spells earlier. Then you can go AT for the rest.
    But that requires pact of the blade right, doesn't it?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beware, thirsting blade only works with your pact blade, not Shadow Blade, so you'd lose that option. You'd also have a slower progression on some really nice rogue features like Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, and more expertise. Personally, I'd be more inclined to start as a rogue, get 1, 2, or 3 levels in Hexblade, and then go rogue all the way from there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

There are a bunch of caveats to be aware of with a Hexblade/AT build.

1) Hex warrior allowing the use of charisma to hit only works with your designated weapon or with your pact weapon. It doesn't work with anything else including the shadow blade spell. In those cases you would have to use str/dex as appropriate. If you don't plan to go blade pact then you are a bit more limited since you will only have the one weapon you can apply cha for to hit and damage. In addition, this weapon must have the finesse property in order to land sneak attack.

This also means that you can't dual wield two weapons hitting with charisma unless you go with blade pact since you only get one weapon with hex warrior. Going blade pact will get you two weapons that could hit using cha - pact weapon + hex warrior weapon.

2) If you did go blade pact and take it to level 5, Thirsting Blade gives you an additional attack with your pact weapon. It is not the same as the extra attack feature available to other classes that gives you an additional attack ... thirsting blade must be an attack with your pact weapon. If you are not wielding your pact weapon you don't get an additional attack. Which means that a shadow blade wielding hexblade only gets one attack with or without Thirsting Blade.

3) Focusing on weapons over EB is fine from a role play perspective but EB is so good that unless you really build a weapon focused hexblade with the appropriate feats, EB will almost always do more damage. However, using booming blade and perhaps taking the mobile feat so you can attack and move back making it more likely to trigger the secondary damage, will help even it out a bit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, if it were me, I'd be prioritizing Dex over Cha anyway.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    But that requires pact of the blade right, doesn't it?
    You are right. So on yours I would probably stop at hexblade 3 and use booming blade and shadow blade. Agree that mobile feat would help.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

You are right. So on yours I would probably stop at hexblade 3 and use booming blade and shadow blade. Agree that mobile feat would help.
    Yeah mobile helps a lot, especially as a wood elf. 45ft of movement baseline lets you do some great stuff and keeps you in the fight, especially since you can bonus action dash to make it 90 ft.

At level 13, dash in, strike (with a 29% chance to crit) for 2d8+2d8+5+5d6+5 damage (without the crit), then just back right back up. If they pursue you, they take another 3d8 thunder damage. You have Evasion and Uncanny Dodge, 4 expertised skills, a super high AC (with 20 DEX, baseline studded leather, and a baseline shield, that's 19 AC. Any magic armor/shield boosts that more), and some spell utility. It's a fantastic build.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I’d seriously consider an Enchantment school wizard with the charlatan background if you’re in the mood to get past NPC’s and manipulate people. With you likely high charisma, any class with the warlock hexblade MC is going to be good for you.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheart View Post
    I’d seriously consider an Enchantment school wizard with the charlatan background if you’re in the mood to get past NPC’s and manipulate people. With you likely high charisma, any class with the warlock hexblade MC is going to be good for you.
    So, I have an irrational hated for me playing wizards. No problem with others playing and I have nothing against the class, but I will never go beyond 2 levels into a wizard and not on this character :)
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer