New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Order Of The Shining Plume [IC]

"I'm afraid not. Our initiation was interrupted by the attack of those monsters."
    Is that why they attacked? Or was it to get at Calgar while he was away from his usual fortifications? What was so special about today for the attack? Was this just how long it took to make those monsters?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"So" Eris says, staring at Gulcard, breath a little ragged "Who are you? Besides your name, I mean. Who was that woman? And most of all-" she pointed the weapon at him, the sky-colored eyes reduced to small fissures "What was in that portal so dangerous that you had to close the portal and cut them all off, so dangerous that you threw inside the Doorkeeper for good measure?"
    She was calm now, but her temper was moments from flaring again if she received the wrong answer.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Variel waited for answers to the others' questions, kept his weapon ready to hand and fixed Goultard with the best scrutinizing expression he could manage.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Looking around warily, Goultard responds. "I'm what's known as a blackfeather."

Spoiler: History DC 17
    Show
    What he says is accurate.

"Someone who's powerful enough to be valued by the Order, but with something too dangerous to really be a member. I'm safe for the moment, at least. The woman is known as Siberian-she's part of the Slaughterhouse."

Spoiler: History DC 8
    Show
    The Slaughterhouse are a mysterious group of evil folk. They have a habit of leaving only a few and very confused survivors, so not much is properly known.

Spoiler: DC 16
    Show
    They've targeted the Plume before. The Plume has issued the incredibly rare Kill Order for them-as in, they don't get mercy, they don't get respite, they just deserve death.

"As for what's in the portal... The rest of them. I don't know how, but they managed to plant some kind of insidious tracking thing on everyone who's initiated. It's why you haven't seen Scribe as of late-she realized something was up, and went off the map to keep herself hidden. She told Velgaurdr and Calgar about it-I don't know what Velgaurdr did about it, but Calgar... Well, Calgar's brave to the point of foolishness. He said he could take on any of the Slaughterhouse that dared show their face. So he went about business as usual," he says. "Any other questions?"
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Having chased the group to this point, Lucius raises a question when prompted, "So, the summary would be that we aren't tracked since we weren't technically initiated, and there's evil on the loose. I suspect this will next move to what we can do about the evil as operatives off the map, persay?"

6. - Top - End - #36

"Good enough summary, yeah," Goultard replies. "Supposedly the Slaughterhouse have a new leader-that's why they've gone on the offensive so much."

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

"Tracking devices..." Valien's hand shot to the eponymous Plume in his belt pouch."The Plumes themselves, or the earrings, maybe. Until we know for sure, we must treat these as suspect. And I take it the Doorkeeper was bent." Valien sighed with frustration as he wondered how deep the rot had set in within the Order. He thought of his old master—Valien hadn't seen him at the ceremony—and wondered if the man and his family were safe in his retirement.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2019-08-26 at 10:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Eris stared at Goulcard, worried.
    "Fine, let's say we trust your words, or at the least most of us" she said, not lowering her weapon "What's the next move? I doubt we can save Calgar" or the rest of them she thought to herself. Everyone here had someone they care about in that crowd, or at least she had. And if he and all the other knights with Calgar couldn't handle the Slaughterhouse, she considered the four of them meager reinforcements. Five, with Goultard.
    "Do we go find Scribe?"

9. - Top - End - #39

"You guys find Scribe," he says. "I'm going to scout and see what information I can find-find out who's still with them and who's dead, who this new leader is, anything like that. Besides... Scribe and I don't get along well."

He looks downcast when he says this-if you had to guess, guilty. But he looks back to face you all, speaking with steel in his voice. "Don't know how well you know this area, but there's a village not far from here-about fifteen miles to the west. I'd start there-and probably evacuate everyone. Good luck."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Leff watched him go for a bit, then turned her attention to Lucius.
    "Would you kindly come with me? I want to talk magic." she asked, leading him a little bit away from the others. True to her word, she began talking magic - ritually casting, at least. Purple fire erupted from her hands and she molded it into a beast, starting from a set of glowing hooves.
    "There's no way that's the whole story. Calgar is confident he can deal with any Slaughterhouse movements, then orders a retreat the first time he sees that woman? He knew her. Specifically."
    She spoke a few primordial words as she formed the creature's haunches, imbuing the flame with a faux muscular system, calming the blaze enough to keep the shape somewhat still.
    "Goultard knows both of those things. He at least heard me talk about Calgar ordering a retreat. There's something he wasn't telling us about that woman, and as dangerous as the Slaughterhouse may be she is the one who scared Calgar."
    She resumed her primordial chants, requiring a few more minutes to finish up her purple fire horse.
    "Do you have any idea what might scare Calgar, or who she is?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Eris watched the other two go then fixed her attention newly on Goulcard.
    She lowered the weapon with a sigh.
    "Fine... We'll do it. Well, I assume we will all do it, I guess" she said "Either this or we go back, which would be disastrous... although I'm very curious about those monsters" she continued, sheathing her sword.
    "No point in worrying about them though. At least for my meager knowledges"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2019-08-26 at 04:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Leff left the question open to be answered at any time as her steed was forged from purple flame. She clambered onto it and flicked the reins in her hand.
    "Shall we get going?" she suggested, leading her horse into a trot.
    "Evacuations should start sooner than later."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

"Assuming the earrings are not the tracking devices, and we've been allowed to 'escape' in order to lead our foe to wherever we might seek refuge or send warning," Variel repeated. "If you all are certain they're not, then let us go."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm." Leff removed her own earring and took a look at it, casting Detect Magic to see if there was any Divination in there.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Another few minutes to cast the ritual go by, and Leff's senses light up with auras.

Spoiler: Detect Magic Sight
    Show
    Moderate Evocation-the same school as Sending. No other schools of magic.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Lucius shrugs at the questions from the fellow mage.

"Honestly? I have no idea who she might be. I've heard of the Slaughterhouse, and they're serious enough of a threat that the Shining Plume have a kill order on them. But if she, herself, was enough to scare Calgar, she's certainly something that we should be careful about."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Eris stretches a second, before turning towards the others.
    "Yes, let's go" she says, shrugging at Variel's words.
    "I guess we don't have another place to go to anyway... let's keep our eyes open. I wonder how can we find Scribe though"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Leff put the earring back on and began leading her horse onward.
    "It would be unusual if it was tracking us without Divination magic, though I suppose it's possible that it's transmitting what we're saying without our knowledge. That said, we're just going to the nearest town to evacuate it. It's the obvious move, and heading there wouldn't lead the Slaughterhouse to that location any more than not heading there would." She paused a moment, then went into some detail.
    "I have a spell that can get its exact properties, but I'd require a valuable pearl to cast it. Hopefully we can manage that later on, but for now the best way to ensure the Slaughterhouse's victory is to sit down and wait."
    She kept her fabricated steed at pace with the others. When a question was raised as to how they’d find Scribe, she shrugged.
    "Well, we don’t need to if she’s there. We’ll be performing a very public evacuation, she’ll find us. All we need to do is give her an opportunity to talk to us in private."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-08-28 at 12:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

It's a rough trip to the village-not so much because the terrain is tough, but due to thoughts you're dealing with about the matters at hand.

Eventually, around two hours after nightfall, you arrive at the village. They seem, for the most part, unaware of what's going on. However, you do see that the temple near the center of town has window-openings, but no windows. There's two people, who look to be guards of some strip, at the temple, but the village is mostly sleepy and quiet.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Leff, having refreshed her steed once every forty-five minutes or so, remained mounted throughout the entire journey.
    Upon entering the town she lifted up her right hand, her hand a torch as she Produced a Flame within it, waving at the guards in front of the temple.
    "Hail from the Order of the Shining Plume." She used Thaumaturgy to amplify her voice.
    "This town must be evacuated. The Slaughterhouse is on its way with an army of abominations."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-08-28 at 08:37 PM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"And here I thought we'd rest first thing first" Eris comments, shrugging.
    Walking towards the guards, she says "Might we talk with the chief of the village? As my companion announced, we bring grave news.
    We would also like to know about a place where we can eat and possibly, given the time, rest"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2019-08-28 at 08:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

A good number of people, awoken by Leff's amplified voice, come groggily out. An elderly and kind-looking elf makes his way out of the temple as people begin to stare. "Everyone!" he calls, "Please do not panic. However, please wake up your families and meet here in the temple, alright? We'll get this sorted out, and hopefully nothing too bad will happen."

The people murmur and nod, and head back in, presumably to get their families. The man walks, at first steadily, towards you all, but once no one is paying him attention, he sprints for you. Breathing a little heavily, he offers his hand. "Mayor Marigold Meekly," he says. "Now, I'm praying very hard right now that I misunderstood what was just said. Please, explain the situation-all we know here is that, this morning, all the windows in our village broke all at once. No one was hurt," he says, sounding a bit relieved, "but it's put us on edge."

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think you misheard. An agent of the Slaughterhouse attacked a... a contingent of the Order some time ago with an army of some sort of flesh golems. They're not a day's travel away from here." Leff looked back and pointed down the way they'd come.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "I have a spell that can get its exact properties, but I'd require a valuable pearl to cast it. Hopefully we can manage that later on, but for now the best way to ensure the Slaughterhouse's victory is to sit down and wait."]

"Who said anything about waiting? But if you're sure the earrings are safe, we need not leave them behind,"
    Variel sighed.

After arriving at the village and announcing the evacuation, Variel asked "When did the windows break? I'm not sure of the significance but if it coincided with the attack it may be a clue."

25. - Top - End - #55

The mayor gives you the time of the incident. While you can't be totally sure, given the lack of timepieces in the ceremony hall, you're pretty sure it's the same time as the windows broke there.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

That... is very odd.
    "How soon can we clear out? And also have you kept any of the glass from the windows that I could examine?" Leff was not hoping to broadcast this question openly, but hadn't turned off her voice amplification yet. So she was pretty loud.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-08-29 at 03:49 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

"If you're willing to start a fire, people will clear out pretty fast," the Mayor jokes. "But it might be as much as an hour to get everyone starting to go without panic. Come on-address everyone at the temple. And as for the glass, we've got it piled in the back."

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well—I will attempt to get the urgency across without inciting panic. And we should post sentries in the meantime, just in case."

29. - Top - End - #59

Meekly leads you all to the temple, where he takes a moment to talk to the guards. He impresses upon them the importance of keeping a good look-out, and they nod, readying themselves for more serious guard work.

You enter alongside various townsfolk, and as the rest of them trickle in, Meekly leads you to the back where the glass is piled up. "We wanted it out of the way, so no one got hurt. Examine it as you wish-just be careful not to cut yourself." He then heads back to the main room of the temple, clears his throat, and speaks as the last of the villagers enter.

"We have, tonight, visitors from the Shining Plume! I wish that they brought better news, but unfortunately, it is not to be. Please, listen to them fully, and obey their instructions carefully and without distress," he says in a loud, clear voice. He then steps back, letting one of you talk.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll talk to them" Eris says "After all it's not like I know of a way to examine this glass. Aside from breking it, of course" she says, before turning to go and address the crowd.
    "Greetings. My name is Eris Lelahinn, Knight of the Shining Plume.
    We came here because we escaped an attack on our contingent, and the army that attacked us is on its way here as we speak.
    They aren't too far behind, thus we ask for all of you to calmly but speedily gather your belongings and be ready to depart in an hour or so. We'll ensure and lead you to safety"

She said, with a firm voice. She still couldn't believe that no one here doubted them, but for better or worse the mysterious shatterings seemed to have led these people to trust them. Eris had no intention to betray said trust.