New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Order Of The Shining Plume [IC]

"Who knew I'd get to fly so early in my career as a knight" Eris chirps in "Can't say this isn't exciting, even with flesh catapults and various horrible monsters around"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

The mount is summoned, the spell is cast, and you set off. You have ten minutes to reach the city-and it'll be about four minutes to reach it if you simply flew straight.

How exactly are you going to attempt this journey?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Leflabah, wreathed in flames, led the horse with its riders up about 600 feet before flying them over the city to stay out of range of any attacks. Then, as safely as she could, she led them downwards.

Spoiler: If we make it...
    Show
    With a thaumaturgy-enhanced voice, Leflabah shouted out to those around them; "We are friendly! We are members of the Order of the Shining Plume, and we are here to help."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #184

You're spotted with ease, being one of the few things in the sky.

There's a few lobbed rocks, including some massive boulders from the siege devices, but it seems that the coordinators are elsewhere or otherwise occupied, as the rocks are ill-aimed and easy to dodge. As Leff shouts, and combined with the attacks from the Slaughterhouse, the archers don't fire-though they stay aimed on you. A faintly heard voice shouting from below says "Land on the top of the wall! Make no sudden moves or we will shoot!"

You land, with the archers never wavering in their aim. They're incredibly on edge-you've got no idea how long they've had to be at the ready, but it's clearly taking a toll. A sergeant, you assume, steps slightly forward, bow still ready. "How can we know to trust you?"

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Leff withdrew her silver glowing feather and lifted it up for all to see.

"We sent a letter ahead, though I'm not certain it arrived. We are Leflabah, Variel, and Eris."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #186

The sergeant looks at the feather. "I see. We didn't get any letter, but only initiates of the plume have feathers like those. Back to the walls, men!" he barks. "There's stairs downwards a few hundred feet along the wall. You should speak to the Baron about this."

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course," Leff promised, following his directions toward the baron. The fire around her died along with the Fly spell.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

"That was awesome" says Eris jumping down from the horse, stretching, while Leff makes presentations.
    "Well, I guess that's it for the easy part. Let's go hear out the baron then" she follows the others, looking at the monsters outside.

9. - Top - End - #189

You're able to find where the baron is, just inside the wall, under a barricade. He's seated at a table, staring intently at a map of Indos and the surrounding area.

"Sir," one of his guards says. "Members of the Plume-they're here."

The baron looks up at you, eyes tired, and says "Please be bringing hope. Anything."

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe we do," Leff offered.
    "We only just arrived, so we don't know much about the strategy of the situation, but we bring our considerable power. We have already killed one of the lieutenants of the Slaughterhouse, and once we learn more about the battlefield I am sure we can coordinate a plan to break the siege." She paused a moment.
    "However, we also bring a burden. In truth, we did not come here to help you, though we are happy to do so. We came here leading refugees from a town the Slaughterhouse attacked. I believe that we can help you break this siege, but I am worried that the strain on your no doubt dwindling resources after will be a concern."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

"First things first: The refugees can't shelter here until that army is destroyed. Baron, were you able to get word out before they attacked?"

12. - Top - End - #192

"No-we had no warning. They came in the night, under the cover of a moonless dark," he says. "By the time we realized we were under siege, we were surrounded. We don't have any way to send messages outside of runners, and they can't make their way past those... things out there. We're isolated, alone, and going to die."

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

"We have some options," Leff offered.
    "We got through the siege, remember? We can come and go. In fact, if you can get me some charcoal and incense and give me an hour I can create a perfectly loyal carrier bird. We can get you reinforcements, and help defend in the meantime." Second time's the charm.
    She wasn't entirely certain this was necessary, however.
    "Indos has some military capacity, right? What can you tell me about the battlefield? Do they have leadership?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194

"They-"

"Have rather excellent leadership, as a matter of fact. Hello there, everyone," a man says. The guards draw their weapons, already springing into action, but the first weapon against him shows he's a mere illusion, as it passes right through. "I'm not that stupid, you know. I don't engage in losing fights. Including this little siege. My name is Jack-I believe some of you have heard of me."

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

At the motion, Leflabah grasped a small fire in her hand that didn't have a shield strapped to it and held it between herself and the image of Jack.

"We have. I am Leflabah. I am your opponent, Jack."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

"Marvelous. But really, opponent? I was expecting something invective, something with teeth! Enemy, foe, sworn nemesis! Really," he says, flashing a smile towards Leff, "are you that enamored of my devilish good looks that you can't stand for something more severe?"

The baron looks to Jack's illusion, and asks "What do you want? You wouldn't have come here just to taunt us-or at least, you would've come earlier if that was all you wanted."

Jack's grin widens. "The last of the Plume. With Scribe and Goultard gone," he says, eliciting a look of confusion from the guards and the baron, "there are but three bastions of 'goodness' left. Surrender them to me, and the siege goes away. The torment of flesh will be gone by the next morning, like a bad dream."

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Leff was distracted from coming up with a better retort when he alluded to killing Scribe.
    "If you touched her... if you hurt her... I have a counteroffer, Jack, because you didn't have to go to all this trouble to meet us. Tell us where to find you, and after we blow through this pathetic siege of yours as easily as we crushed your other pawn, we'll head right over and find out what the boiling point of your disgusting smirk is."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198

"Did I touch a nerve there?" Jack says, grin never faltering.

The baron steps between you two, and says "How do we know we can trust you? You're a monster."

"That's fair-though have I ever lied to you? But no, despite being a man of impeccable honesty-I have no reason to lie, you see-I understand your misgivings. I'll be leaving now-but the offer stands. Whenever you want the monsters gone, just send me the Plume," he says, his illusion fading away. "Ta-ta!"

Silence falls for a moment, save for the crackling of fire. The baron slumps back to his seat, exhausted. His guards slowly lower their weapons, on edge. The baron looks to you all, and asks "Who's this 'Scribe' he spoke of? And the other one-Goultard?"
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-10-05 at 08:19 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"...well, now I know why I was curious to meet 'Jack'. He pisses me off" Eris says after the stunned silence that overcame her passed away.
    "Scribe's... an high rank member of the Shining Plume. Goultard... not so much, but he is strong" she mulls a bit over it.
    "At least I think, we met him before starting our journey and didn't really had a moment to gauge his strenght. Anyway, I'm calling a bluff" Eris turns to the Baron "Don't ask me why, but I believe that they aren't dead. They looked too smart, although I'm not the one who knew Scribe well" Eris glances at Leflabah, unsure of how she's taking it.
    "Not only that, but I don't think he's confident he can take us on. He could have taken her offer- tell us where to find him. Instead he wants you to surrender us, the chicken" she cracks her knuckles "He's SO dead now. And, since he's apparently the leader, this siege is too. Although- I have zero idea of where to find him. Did you spot him in these days? Or maybe we've got magic to scout out his position?" that last remark is aimed more at Variel and Leff than anyone else.

20. - Top - End - #200

"We've seen some kind of humanoid in there-I hesitate to say person," the baron replies. "She looks like a woman, but without any color. We tried shooting her, but the arrows broke."

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

"I think I know who're you talking about. Maybe Jack's not actually here... or he's not showing his face. Either way, we've got a target. We'll see if she can break our blades or magic" Eris says, grinning.
    "What's between us and her? She can't be staying too far if she's in arrow range"

22. - Top - End - #202

"We've seen her before, but the last sighting was two days ago," the baron replies. "We don't know if she's still there, or if anyone else is besides those fleshy... Things."

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Eris glances at Leflabah, unsure of how she's taking it.
    Leff was staring down at her hand, as something curious had occurred there. The orange fire she’d conjured to speak with Jack had turned entirely black, and as she looked closer she could see her own finger bones through the shadowy blaze.
    Was that the whole secret? Was Av just never angry about anything that really mattered?
    When Eris mentioned the possibility of Jack lying, she closed her fist and put out the black fire dancing along her hand.
    Even if he thinks he's telling the truth, Scribe is adept at hiding. She could have faked her own death.
    She looked back up at everybody, and the black fire that had taken over her eyes as well was being once again replaced with her standard yellow.
    "In the absence of any present leadership, our target is those siege machines. Have you made any plans to make for the flesh engines? And if I were to send out my bird, where would you send it?"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2019-10-06 at 09:48 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

"They're not impervious to arrows-but they don't care about them. We've taken down dozens of the lesser things, but there's more-always more," the baron says. "There's no way out. We can either trust ourselves to the members of a dead knighthood or trust the words of the man trying to kill us all."

Spoiler: Leff
    Show
    Something about the situation gets to you. The whole situation, the siege, the possible death of Scribe, the baron's pessimism... It's all too much.

Pick a flaw to add to your character sheet:

Spoiler: Flaws
    Show
    Nothing matters, nothing is worth doing. Everyone dies in the end, and gods damn it all, it looks like most people now just die painfully.

I need to drink to stay calm. The world is just better when I'm under the influence. More manageable.

If I don't burn something pretty frequently, I get angry. The longer it goes, the bigger the blaze to make me feel okay.

Other flaws might be acceptable-run them by me if you like.

Charisma save made here-actual result would be 15, since I forgot the Aura of Protection, but it's still a failure.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well, why break theme now? Taking the fire one.

"Not dead." Leflabah snapped.
    "Not yet."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

"Exactly: It's no choice at all. Killing the other members of our order—if indeed they really have—was part of the method of their attempted conquest, not its goal. They haven't simply assaulted the city, which means they haven't the strength, which tells me that we can yet thwart them."

Spoiler
    Show

In case I can use Persuasion to raise people's morale: (1d20+7)[18]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"The lieutenant we killed," Leff added.
    "She was surprised to see us, not expecting us. She wasn't sent after us, she was sent to kill every man, woman and child in that town. If you throw away the only thing standing between the Slaughterhouse and civilization, you are not saving your town. Even if this siege leaves your town, even if you're untouched, all you win is being killed last as every town and city around you is butchered, you are cut off and alone, and you get to watch the devastation you opened the door for."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

The baron receives his drink, which smells quite strongly of alcohol. He swigs it back, and sets the glass down, remaining silent.

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"Look-" Eris puts her hands on the table, staring at the baron "We too thought it was impossible when they attacked us. Or at least I thought it. But, you know what? We stood on our two feet and killed one of them, to start off the morning well"
    She crossed her arms, laughing.
    "People like that Jack- they think they're so clever, don't they? And they actually are. But then they climb ranks and get complacent. Get arrogant. And killed by someone more strong willed then them" she then slams her fist hard on the table.
    "They are called the Slaughterhouse? I'll make a Slaughtermountain out of them. You can either be remembered as heroes that stood against impossible odds or hide in the shadows while they try to ruin this world. Try to- because I'll tear them all apart by myself if necessary"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

"Another thought—those creatures out there can't possibly exist, let alone act in a coordinated manner, without a mage controlling them. I'm not an expert, but there may be a way to disrupt that control without wading into the middle of them and killing the mage. Is there anyone in the city who might know? While our enemies are content to wait outside the walls, we have time to avoid rash action and consider our moves."