New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Looking for a good Horror movie or mini series

I have a group of friends I watch movies with, but since we have different taste in movies we always end up with the horror genre.
    The problem is that I KNOW there are good movies there, but they are so rare in a group that suffers a lot from cliches.

I can write what I liked in the recent years, maybe it will help in the recommendations.
    (It's very likely the list is a little longer, but mostly with known famous movies)

The Ring.
    Obviously
    I can safely say that's one of the few movies I can think of that scared me even after I left the theater.
    Didn't like the sequels, and "The Grudge" was okay at best

Get Out.
    Original and surprising

Cabin in the Woods.
    Can't say it was a GOOD movie, but the use of cliches as part of the story was surprising and funny.

Personally, I liked Evil dead and related movies, but that's less to the taste of the others I watch with.

A list of movies I can think of that I didn't really enjoy:
    The new IT, any Saw movie, Blair Witch or anything else that is pseudo documentary with a shaky camera.

Obviously, avoid spoilers, but feel free to tell what made you like the movie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Looking for a good Horror movie or mini series

Helraiser and The witch are my top recommendations.
    "The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hellraiser 1 and 2 are favorites of mine, though they're certainly showing their age/budget, visually speaking. Ditto the Romero Dead movies.

Recently, you might like Haunter (director of Cube, if you like some sci-fi in your horror) and the Babadook. I loved Oculus, but that seems to get mixed opinions, I think it might hit some of the buttons The Ring did.

In The Mouth of Madness is a favorite of mine, and the remake of House on Haunted Hill is a fun ride. The original is a classic, if you like old horror, and Legend of Hell House is a great old-school haunted house movie. The Mist (movie, not tv series) was wonderfully bleak, and one of the best Stephen King adaptations (though I did like the recent IT movie).

I also like Evil Dead, and I would argue that Cabin in the Woods was a very good movie, but if you like horror comedy, Dead Alive is a must-see, and Tucker & Dale was a lot of fun too!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't have my collection with me. I have many horror-related DVDs. Since the Asian horror ones is a small list, I'll see if I can remember them all:

Apartment 1303
    Dark Water (NOT the American remake)
    Grudge (the American remake)
    Grudge 2 (the American remake)
    Grudge 3 (the American remake)
    Locker
    Locker 2
    One Missed Call (NOT the American remake)
    One Missed Call 2 (NOT the American remake)
    One Missed Call 3 (NOT the American remake)
    Ringu 0
    Ringu
    Ringu 2

and I have a downloaded copy of Teke-Teke

I have a variety DVDs (about 30-40 of them) from Full Moon (however, FullMoonStreaming.com has more than MY list...considering they're the OFFICIAL Full Moon). As for the other 128 or so DVDs, I'll have to wait until I get back from vacation to list them (as well as my Full Moon titles).
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PS: Tomie was a cute movie series. I just wouldn't classify them as "horror" per se.
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I recommend Re-Animator, From Beyond, Let Me In, and A Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 2, and 3.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fear(s) of the Dark. It's animated and French so I'm not sure how much you'll like it, but I love it!

Also do a youtube search for "mysterious stranger claymation mark twain." The clip is from a non-horror film, but this like 5 minute clip is one of the scariest things you'll ever see. I obviously don't want to get too religious but you'll know it if this dialogue happens in like the thirty seconds:

Who are you?
    An angel.
    What's your name?
    Satan. What's the matter?
    Nothing. It's just that sure is a sorry name for an angel.

I'm not sure if this qualifies since you said mini-series, but I also highly recommend Courage the Cowardly Dog. One of Cartoon Networks best shows and it doesn't even have John DiMaggio or crystal lesbians.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

American Horror Story? its sort of a miniseries, since each season is a separate storyline with different characters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Does the first season of True Detective count as horror? There's no monster and probably nothing really supernatural happening, but the criminal conspiracy is pretty horrifying and I believe it relies heavily on horror storytelling methods.
    I think it's horror without magic or jump scares.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I haven’t seen it myself, but on Reddit the other day they were raving about The Terror, a 10-part mini-series on AMC. It’s a fictionalized account of the doomed Franklin expedition into the Arctic with some supernatural elements thrown into the mix.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dale and Tucker vs. evil is more a parody on horror/slasher films but it's good.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Does the first season of True Detective count as horror? There's no monster and probably nothing really supernatural happening, but the criminal conspiracy is pretty horrifying and I believe it relies heavily on horror storytelling methods.
    I think it's horror without magic or jump scares.
    I'd absolutely say so. It's all about creeping dread. It's chock full of weird fiction/cosmic horror references, most notably Robert Chambers' "The King In Yellow"/Carcosa. Cohle is more or less paraphrasing Thomas Ligotti constantly.

The second series was a bit of a let down, but it's still entertaining and not as bad as people say. HBO is letting the creator take his time with the third, so that should be good for everyone.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Wynnona Earp is a series on Netflix. I wouldn't exactly call it horror, but it has the descendant of Wyatt Earp hunting down demons based on a curse on her bloodline. Most of the demons are just mean dudes, but some show some very horror-y aspects. Season 2, which was recently released, has more horror elements.

To me, it's a cool supernatural action-drama show, but some might consider it fitting your needs.

I also liked season one of Netflix's Evil Dead series. Definitely plays up the campiness, but does so well.

Though I realize you want more mini-series/movies, and these are your standard 40-to-60-minute shows.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Movie-wise I'd recommend 'The Descent' (particularly if you're claustrophobic) and 'Event Horizon'
    Mini-series there's 'Ultraviolet' a six issue British series that was a mix of horror and thriller
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

It Follows was phenomenally tense stuff. Masterful and atmospheric. Heads-up that it earns the R rating with nudity/sexual content/sexual assault. It's most interesting because it takes the time to overlay themes and meaning on top of the terror, without spelling anything out. You get room to think about it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    It Follows was phenomenally tense stuff. Masterful and atmospheric. Heads-up that it earns the R rating with nudity/sexual content/sexual assault. It's most interesting because it takes the time to overlay themes and meaning on top of the terror, without spelling anything out. You get room to think about it.
    I was gonna suggest the miniseries with Tim Curry, but not for horror reasons. I just love how campy it is:

Pennywise: "Excuse me sir - do you have Prince Albert in a can? You do? Well you better let the poor guy out!" *laughter*

Tim Curry is a national treasure!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    I was gonna suggest the miniseries with Tim Curry, but not for horror reasons. I just love how campy it is:

Pennywise: "Excuse me sir - do you have Prince Albert in a can? You do? Well you better let the poor guy out!" *laughter*

Tim Curry is a national treasure!
    It Follows is different, totally unrelated to IT.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I'd absolutely say so. It's all about creeping dread. It's chock full of weird fiction/cosmic horror references, most notably Robert Chambers' "The King In Yellow"/Carcosa. Cohle is more or less paraphrasing Thomas Ligotti constantly.
    I looked up some scenes to see if it really was as creepy as my memory said it was. And yes, it totally is. Even more so.

One short simple scene in which nothing really happens and that doesn't spoil anything, but simply showcases the mood and tension of the show. It's creepy as hell!
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The Ritual is a rather neat take of monster in the woods type movie, with quite the monster design.

Demonic group of teams goes ghost hunting in one of their team members' personal history, things happen. Has a few nice twists as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've seen a few good horror animé series. I don't remember which ones, though. Since the list in my "horror & horror-related" DVD collection is growing (again), I'll let everyone know that I can name over 150 titles that I thought were good enough to own (it would seem).
    End of line.

End of line.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I said I'd eventually get to it. I won't list everything I have...just these 2 lists:

My Full Moon collection includes: Trancers (more sci-fi than horror), Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-RamaPuppet Master, Subspecies, Demonic Toys, Shrunken Heads (not really horror, either), Hideous, Creeps (actually, it's called "The Creeps" -- I just don't use the word "the" to begin a title), Filmonsters!, Blood Dolls, Killjoy, Gingerdead Man, Evil Bong, Zombies vs. Strippers, Ooga Booga, Unlucky Charms, Ravenwolf Towers, Head of the Family, and Witchouse. Actually, I don't actually have the Witchouse trilogy. I just thought I'd mention it, anyways.

My Asian horror collection includes: Apartment 1303, Dark Water, Grudge (American remake trilogy -- not the Ju-On versions), Locker (& Locker II), One Missed Call (trilogy), Ringu (trilogy), Teke-Teke, & Let's Fight Ghost (more drama than horror). I, also, like the Tomie movies.

I'll list more horror (or horror/Halloween-related movies, another time.
    End of line.

End of line.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I recently obtained Arcade (from Full Moon). Now on to MORE of my horror/Halloween-related DVDs...

I have a good Amityville Horror collection, Arachnophobia, Child's Play, Critters, Dracula 2000, Fido, Final Destination, Freddy vs. Jason, Friday the 13th (without the remake), Gremlins, Halloween (once again, without the remake), Happy Death Day, Hollow, IT (the original...the remake wasn't bad. I just don't have it), Jaws, Jekyll, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, & Little Shop of Horrors (the Rick Moranis version).

Once again, I have more than those. I'm just listing them over time -- in order to have something to post, every once in a while.
    End of line.

End of line.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Friday the 13th remake wasn't bad...it just needed some "fine tuning" before I would own it. Unlike the Halloween remake. I refuse to acknowledge it's existence. Others may like it. Then again, others think that Bram Stoker wrote about glittery beings that attend high school.
    End of line.

End of line.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm very intrigued by what I've seen of previews for Castle Rock, sadly I don't have access to Hulu currently so I'll have to wait before I can start digging into it. Still need to get around to seeing 11.22.63 and finishing up Haven as well.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really enjoyed Haven. I thought it flowed together nicely (after a few hic-ups). I'm waiting to see how Netflix does season 2 of the Mist. I tried Hulu. I don't watch it much -- as it has too many issues. However, I'll see if I can find Castle Rock (Stephen King's story-matic universe). There's still quite a bit of Stephen King I haven't seen.
    End of line.

End of line.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    I really enjoyed Haven. I thought it flowed together nicely (after a few hic-ups). I'm waiting to see how Netflix does season 2 of the Mist. I tried Hulu. I don't watch it much -- as it has too many issues. However, I'll see if I can find Castle Rock (Stephen King's story-matic universe). There's still quite a bit of Stephen King I haven't seen.
    After the travesty that Under the Dome turned into as a TV series (so bad that I stopped watching it and just went and re-read the book again), I'm terribly hesitant about watching the Mist. Especially since there's already a movie about it, and that was well put together. Kinda hard to see how they can properly drag out a single short story into a multi-season TV show. Which is probably why I like Haven and have hopes for Castle Rock, they're based more on ideas and themes of Stephen King instead of being direct adaptations of a specific work.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I'm terribly hesitant about watching the Mist. Especially since there's already a movie about it, and that was well put together. Kinda hard to see how they can properly drag out a single short story into a multi-season TV show.
    The movie was done better. However, the flow of the series isn't that bad. I thought of it as a "loosely based" style. It goes into more detail than the movie did. Not being an avid reader, I haven't read the Mist (or I had...and simply don't remember). I'm interested in where they're going with the series.

I'll be watching Castle Rock, soon. I'll give my feedback (spoiler-free) when I've seen at least 3 episodes -- to get a good understanding of how the series seems to be going.
    End of line.

End of line.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    The Ritual is a rather neat take of monster in the woods type movie, with quite the monster design.
    I'd second that, The Ritual is the best horror movie I've seen in ages.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    I have a good Amityville Horror collection, Arachnophobia, Child's Play, Critters, Dracula 2000, Fido, Final Destination, Freddy vs. Jason, Friday the 13th (without the remake), Gremlins, Halloween (once again, without the remake), Happy Death Day, Hollow, IT (the original...the remake wasn't bad. I just don't have it), Jaws, Jekyll, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, & Little Shop of Horrors (the Rick Moranis version).
    And now for more of what I have:

Living Dead (Night of the Living Dead -- 30th Anniversary edition, Dawn of the Dead -- original, Day of the Dead -- original, Land of the Dead, Dairy of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead collection, Flight of the Living Dead, & Dawn of the Dead -- remake), Nightmare on Elm Street (without the remake...due to it mot being that good), Number 23, Phantasm, Poltergeist (once again, I didn't care for the remake)Raising Cain, Resident Evil (the Milla Jovovich ones), Saw, Scream, Scream Queens, Sharknado (with the Lavalantula movies), Shining (original), Sleepy Hollow, Student Bodies, Transylvania 6-5000, Tremors, Urban Legend (just the 1st movie), V, & Warm Bodies.

Of course, you can check out the (so far, 64) horror/Halloween-related videos on my YouTube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJLP...VGHFpl&index=1 ). I have some other videos on my computer that I can list (about 10 more). But, you get the idea.

Did PokéTriforce just self-promote the YouTube channel, again?

The final list of DVDs/Blu-Ray discs that are horror/Halloween-related -- that I own -- will be posted, later. The reason for my list is in case you might enjoy any of those titles (and just haven't heard of their existence, yet).
    End of line.

End of line.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's time I finish the list of horror/Halloween-related DVDs/Blu-Ray discs I own. This time, it'll be a list of the kid-safe ones...which include: Coraline, ParaNorman, Toy Story of Terror, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Corpse Bride, Halloween Town, Mr. Boogedy, Nightmare Before Christmas, Watcher in the Woods, Z-O-M-B-I-E-S, Goobers!, Spooky Town, Darkness: Teen Space Vampire Saga, Shifter, & Monster High. Animé that works in this category include: Spirited Away, DarkStalkers/Night Warriors, Monster Musume, Moon Phase, & Soul Eater. I recorded (onto VHS) Truth or Scare.
    End of line.

End of line.