New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default What will Curly do?

"Curly" being the nickname of the last surviving vampire in the existing strip (1175 and up).

Hel seems to be investing a lot of hope in this one vampire who will go out and recruit a legion of vampires and spawn to do this all over again.

I'm watching the character and, assuming she isn't dusted at Hilgya's hands in the near future, I'm just not seeing the possibilities in the character. She seems a bit cowardly and timid, not the charismatic leader type.

How does that work, anyway? The vampire-spirit has stats based on the original host. If the original host had extremely low values, would the vampire also be mediocre to below average? Can a timorous host really give rise to a courageous and charismatic leader?

I'm just not seeing how Curly is going to pull any of this off, given she's been the first to run from every encounter we've seen her in, thus far. Is she the Rincewind of Vampires?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What will Curly do?

...trip on Hilgya's Flame Strike?

That seems to be the most likely path if she tries to do anything Hel wants.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    How does that work, anyway? The vampire-spirit has stats based on the original host. If the original host had extremely low values, would the vampire also be mediocre to below average?
    Yup. "Just a bit under average" can be compensated for with the boost the Vampire Template gives, but for the most part it's "Bad Stats in, Bad stats out".
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Get a haircut.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Yup. "Just a bit under average" can be compensated for with the boost the Vampire Template gives, but for the most part it's "Bad Stats in, Bad stats out".
    "Templates are just a trick to make weak NPCs stronger"
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-21 at 04:21 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Well, Elan would say that she's practically immortal at this point. If Rich intended to kill her it would have happened when Hel said "I still have one vampire left" for more dramatic effect. Or at any rate, while Hel watches her die... which has become highly unlikely; Hel's gonna be giving shingles to old people, hopefully off-panel too. Knowing as we do that this book is about to end, and with Hel out of the scene, my guess is she's not gonna reappear until book seven.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBV View Post
    Well, Elan would say that she's practically immortal at this point. If Rich intended to kill her it would have happened when Hel said "I still have one vampire left" for more dramatic effect. Or at any rate, while Hel watches her die... which has become highly unlikely; Hel's gonna be giving shingles to old people, hopefully off-panel too. Knowing as we do that this book is about to end, and with Hel out of the scene, my guess is she's not gonna reappear until book seven.
    She's gonna reappear, because she's right in front of Hilgya and I can't imagine you arguing that she won't return before next book.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Two thoughts:

1. She escapes and eventually creates vampires Moe, Larry, and Shemp.

2. Hilgya torches her with a flame strike.

I like option 2 better.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm a big fan of the Hilgya and Curly team up, Curly starts taking levels in rogue (IDK, her build seems better for that), and then they form their own Evil adventuring party and fade into the sunset theory.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    She's gonna reappear, because she's right in front of Hilgya and I can't imagine you arguing that she won't return before next book.
    We don't know that she's anywhere near Hilgya. She passed her in the hall. Likely she's somewhere with nobody else around. And it's not like Hilgya is at all invested in what's happening now that she's away from Sigdi.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

My $ is on her running off to a good hiding place. The dwarves will feel compelled to go all in to hunt her down before she starts creating spawn, and thus won't be able to help the OotS.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

I'm guessing she's too low level for the encounter if she runs into the Order or Hilgya, but not as an opportunist in dwarven society. She'll probably ignore Hel's demands to single handedly jump-start the whole campaign, get her cleric powers revoked, and have to retrain in the vampire-friendly prestige class 'Tormented Sexy Loner'.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I'm guessing she's too low level for the encounter if she runs into the Order or Hilgya, but not as an opportunist in dwarven society. She'll probably ignore Hel's demands to single handedly jump-start the whole campaign, get her cleric powers revoked, and have to retrain in the vampire-friendly prestige class 'Tormented Sexy Loner'.
    It is a fun build, but, given her personality, Curly does not yet meet the prereqs for that PrC, which includes the Brooding feat.

Brooding [General]
    Benefit:
    You get +2 on Sense Motive checks.
    You get a +2 bonus on all Saving throws against Charm and Compulsion spells and spell-like effects, unless the source of the spell or spell-like effect has the Brooding feat.

14. - Top - End - #14

Get dusted.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

She is past uninvolved-Hilgya, not in front of her. And she's well-past the OoTS.

If the Giant was going to kill her, he'd have done it while Hel watched. I mean, seriously, it'd be a little pointless to just kill her now instead of adding her death to Hel's grievances before her tantrum.

Maybe the end of the story requires a new Godsmoot and she'll play a role there.
    Last edited by DavidBV; 2019-08-22 at 06:06 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My guess is that if anything important happens with the vampire, it’ll happen now. Since we’re wrapping up this book, and I don’t see them playing an important role in the next one, I’m guessing either Hilgya defeats her, or she escapes off to be another story‘s problem. I’d put more money on defeat, however.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2019-08-22 at 11:26 AM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    My guess is that if anything important happens with Curly, it’ll happen now. Since we’re wrapping up this book, and I don’t see them playing an important role in the next one, I’m guessing either Hilgya defeats her, or she escapes off to be another story‘s problem. I’d put more money on defeat, however.

Given the personality of the Curly he is a fun build but Hilgya will defeat her

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As for Hilgya dusting, burning or some other form of destroying Curly*, I really think she's more of the "Oh, there's a weak vamp over there. Whatever. Not my problem" mindset.

I'm a big fan of the Hilgya and Curly team up, Curly starts taking levels in rogue (IDK, her build seems better for that), and then they form their own Evil adventuring party and fade into the sunset theory.
    Fading into the sunset can have unintended consequences for Curly*...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    As for Hilgya dusting, burning or some other form of destroying Curly*, I really think she's more of the "Oh, there's a weak vamp over there. Whatever. Not my problem" mindset.

Fading into the sunset can have unintended consequences for Curly*...
    She can fade into the dusk then.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The Giant had Hilgya show up to the fight for a reason. Helping out can't have been the whole reason - she didn't really contribute anything important to the battle, at least not from a story perspective, and she's too important a character to include in a sequence without more justification. She would have had to stay longer if the whole reason for including her was so she could complete her arc at the battle. Instead, she left early - so it must be important that she did so.

That likely means she's going to encounter Curly, rather than just notice the mist drifting by (we don't know how close she is, but probably not that far away). And I don't expect an instant dusting, because that'd be boring. Instead, something interesting is likely to happen. I don't know what it is - a complete team-up seems like it would be against Loki's teachings, but Hilgya is due to do something else surprising by the end of the book. What that will be is probably as unpredictable as the table being split, but it might involve something like a detente, or Hilgya and the vampire forming some kind of agreement, maybe involving what the vampire knows about the Gates (assuming it knows anything, which is entirely possible but by no means certain).
    Last edited by Emanick; 2019-08-22 at 09:01 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

21. - Top - End - #21

Hilgya showing up was the point. It showed the extent to which Sigdi had established dominance over her. Notice Ms Firehelm skipped the round Sigdi was out of sight.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Hilgya showing up was the point. It showed the extent to which Sigdi had established dominance over her. Notice Ms Firehelm skipped the round Sigdi was out of sight.
    It's pretty adventurous to say what the point was and was not before the scene and the arc are over. If it was meant to show Sigdi's dominance over her, it wasn't emphasized at all and it was undermined by Hilgya's very act of leaving, whether or not Sigdi saw it. Personally I'm not sure Hilgya was there so that she could interact with Curly as an extension of Loki's interaction with Hel (maybe Hilgya was there just for the sake of the joke where she left, who knows?), but it's certainly a distinct possibility.
    Last edited by hroþila; 2019-08-22 at 10:05 AM.
    ungelic is us

23. - Top - End - #23

Hilgya's actions in this Round are a: being indirectly threatened by Sigdi b: Flame Striking some elementals and c: booking it as soon as Sigdi was gone. With maybe a dozen pages left in Utterly Dwarfed, there isn't room for much else now.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Hilgya's actions in this Round are a: being indirectly threatened by Sigdi b: Flame Striking some elementals and c: booking it as soon as Sigdi was gone. With maybe a dozen pages left in Utterly Dwarfed, there isn't room for much else now.
    She could do quite a few things that would all take about a page, maybe Sigdi locks her up, maybe she kills Curly, maybe she teams up with her, maybe she’s ordered North, maybe she hops on the Mechane, she may leave with Kudzu, who knows, but she won’t just vanish.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Get a job as a carpenter to expedite the construction of the new table, wacky slapstick antics pursue, Curly's heart gets poked with a pointy piece of wood.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Curly*, the Brave Vampire, will escape, and for an undead group along Eugene, the Friendly Ghost, and Thog, The Schrodinger's Half-Orc.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Brave Curly Hair ran away
    Bravely ran away away
    When danger reared her ugly head
    She bravely turned her tail and fled
    Yes, brave Curly Hair turned about
    And gallantly she chickened out
    Bravely taking to her feet
    She beat a very brave retreat
    Bravest of the brave, Curly Hair!

Someone had to do it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

I'm inclined to say "Die".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Brave Curly Hair ran away
    Bravely ran away away
    When danger reared her ugly head
    She bravely turned her tail and fled
    Yes, brave Curly Hair turned about
    And gallantly she chickened out
    Bravely taking to her feet
    She beat a very brave retreat
    Bravest of the brave, Curly Hair!

Someone had to do it.
    Encore! Encore!

-Squire Doodad

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    It's pretty adventurous to say what the point was and was not before the scene and the arc are over. If it was meant to show Sigdi's dominance over her, it wasn't emphasized at all and it was undermined by Hilgya's very act of leaving, whether or not Sigdi saw it. Personally I'm not sure Hilgya was there so that she could interact with Curly as an extension of Loki's interaction with Hel (maybe Hilgya was there just for the sake of the joke where she left, who knows?), but it's certainly a distinct possibility.
    I am going with being adventurous.

I hold that Hilgya's ultimate fate would be decided by her choices, and that the one more key moment would come where she would Evolve or Die.

It think the moment just passed, and she failed the test.

Hilgya could have grumbled and hung in the back of this fight. Instead she specifically chose to ignore and/or not care about the fate of the world, which so happens to include her child, and just walk out because she just felt like it. Hilgya did not even bother to think through the fact that there may not be time to reach Kudzu and Plane Shift away -- after the vote is complete the destruction of the world could easily be a few minutes away. We do not know for sure, but neither does Hilgya.

She feels more comfortable alone.

Unfortunately for her, alone is very dangerous with a vampire about. There are various ways it can go, but a lot of them end up with Hilgya is dead (or a dusted vampire).

In the event of Hilgya's death, it is entirely possible that Durkon would choose to not Ressurect her. There are various ways that decision could be made.