The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 106
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    In the event of Hilgya's death, it is entirely possible that Durkon would choose to not Ressurect her. There are various ways that decision could be made.
    I'll divert briefly from our main theme here (Curly*, the Brave) to comment on this. I can see a situation where Hylgia decides not to answer Durkon's raising/ressurection, out of sheer "I only do what I want and won't go back to life just because you say so", or in the event that she likes what she gets in the afterlife, even if it's not Hylgia's Gambit.

    But I can't really see a situation where Durkon doen't give at least an honest and dedicated try to bring back his son's ma.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Brave Curly Hair ran away
    Bravely ran away away
    When danger reared her ugly head
    She bravely turned her tail and fled
    Yes, brave Curly Hair turned about
    And gallantly she chickened out
    Bravely taking to her feet
    She beat a very brave retreat
    Bravest of the brave, Curly Hair!
    Her legend sung under fair moonlight
    Her marvelous speed to escape a fight
    With her resolve to never stand
    She'll keep on running until the end
    Untouched by time and death itself
    She even dodges the arrows of Melf (Ok, I know, this one was forced as Hel)
    Be a shinny day or a cloudy night
    No one can reach her, not even light
    For faster than her prodigious feet
    Is her mistyfying smokerunning feat
    And thus persists our Curly*, the Brave
    Away from the fight, away from the grave.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-08-23 at 07:54 AM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Maybe she'll realize that Hel's plan is a lost cause and choose to survive, rather than being smoked like all her other peers. Could Hel destroy her, if she chose to forsake her goddess?

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Onyavar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    My wild guess is that not all created dwarven vampires were involved in Undurkon's traps and plans.

    Being evil masterminds, Hel and Undurkon would leave some behind, in case the biggest of all plans, complete with plan B, plan C and plan D failed.

    So, this would be plan U: Undead plague in the dwarven caverns. And Curly is going to be their leader, until the vampires are necessarily crushed by the dwarven military, some months from now.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    And Curly is going to be their leader
    And her first act as bold leader will be to order a strategic retreat...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Wizard_Lizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The material plane (duh?)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    my best guess is die.
    Current characters:
    Drakirr (Blue Dragonborn Warlock)
    Alyfyldyr Hyalythki (Rock Gnome Wizard)
    Harilidir (Half-elf Bard)
    Kazaharad Akaztkl (Goliath Barbarian)
    Luft (air-genasi druid)
    And of course Lizard Wizard (Lizardfolk Sorcerer)

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    And her first act as bold leader will be to order a strategic retreat...
    Reminds me of an old joke:
    "Charge! Aim for the cannons before they can fire!"
    *explosion*
    "Retreat! Get out of the line of sight of the cannons before they can fire!"
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-23 at 09:03 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    And her first act as bold leader will be to order a strategic retreat...
    Her war-cry is 'Everyone but me CHARGE!'

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2019

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Her war-cry is 'Everyone but me CHARGE!'
    Either we run away, or we DIIEEEEE!

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Her war-cry is 'Everyone but me CHARGE!'
    "You are great warriors! The best I have seen! You have great might, great skill, and great courage! Now all of you shall go into battle, not merely to win, but so I can get away and for justice!"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "You are great warriors! The best I have seen! You have great might, great skill, and great courage! Now all of you shall go into battle, not merely to win, but so I can get away and for justice!"
    "Aye. Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Doesn't matter what she will do.

    Cause all the Order has to do while Curly is making a plan is make sure none of the elders are still dominated and the have Evan cast mending on the table. Call the meeting to order, new votes. And then Curly doesn't matter at all anymore.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Why would Elan cast Mending? First, as a non-dwarf he can't get in there, and second they aren't trying to fix a splinter. You need the much better spell Make Whole.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Why would Elan cast Mending? First, as a non-dwarf he can't get in there
    The barriers are currently down. Elan can go up, fix the table, be asked to leave, and the meeting un-temporary suspended (I'm thinking that the meeting cannot be called to order if there are non-dwarves in the room).

    Whether the table can be fixed magically, I won't comment. We'll see soon enough.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    I would say that's the dumbest theory Grey Wolf's heard, but, let's be honest: It's Grey Wolf. They've probably heard dumber theories today. Point is, neat idea, but it's a real stretch.
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The barriers are currently down. Elan can go up, fix the table, be asked to leave, and the meeting un-temporary suspended (I'm thinking that the meeting cannot be called to order if there are non-dwarves in the room).
    Actualy, we don't know how long it takes for the meeting to reconvene after such a suspension. Proper procedure might require the council to issue a new set of invitations to the elders even if they're already there. That would take some extra time, especialy if they are to be delivered in dead-tree form to their respective home adresses.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-08-26 at 12:22 PM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

    Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be


    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isnít D&D, flaming the troll doesnít help either.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The barriers are currently down. Elan can go up, fix the table, be asked to leave, and the meeting un-temporary suspended (I'm thinking that the meeting cannot be called to order if there are non-dwarves in the room).

    Whether the table can be fixed magically, I won't comment. We'll see soon enough.

    Grey Wolf
    Now I'm wondering if a human who was inside when the meeting was called to order would be unable to leave at all because of the barrier.

    On one hand, it would be consistent. On the other, it's friggin' magic, a one way door isn't that hard to imagine.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Now I'm wondering if a human who was inside when the meeting was called to order would be unable to leave at all because of the barrier.

    On one hand, it would be consistent. On the other, it's friggin' magic, a one way door isn't that hard to imagine.
    On the other hand, it would be (physical) comedy gold if non-dwarves were suddenly expelled from the room when the bariers went up again (possibly with a shout of WEEEEEEEEEEE!). Giggles would approve such magic.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles donít hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, canít be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

    "I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Even if Hel's plan completely fails will Curly go on to initiate the Vampire Holocaust in Dwarfdom? Say what you will about Malack, he either wasn't interested -- or was too rational and long-term -- for such a plan.

    Malack's approach seemed to be to help the living set up a society where he could farm criminals and live in luxury. It was a lawful evil society in which he lived, but he was able to live within human society without trying to force a short-term vampire legion which would ultimately end in his destruction.

    Will Curly attempt the vampire holocaust? Will she simply run and hide? Something else? What are her options?

    That also sort of begs the question: If vampires are so powerful and super-rare, then why hasn't one of these very powerful but super-rare creatures not already attempted the vampire holocaust?

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Because as soon as they do 1d3+3 heroes pop out of the woodwork and kill them.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Because as soon as they do 1d3+3 heroes pop out of the woodwork and kill them.
    Honestly, this is really a 1d4+2 Situation. Most adventurers do at least a group of 3.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    I am certain that Curly's fate will be tied up with Hilgya somehow. I can't see Curly being any sort of influence on the vote after this point.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Well, no, of course not. The dwarf councilor specifically stated that they will take a lot of time to find a new tree to make the next table with. The vote subplot is paused until after the Order solves the issue next book. Also means a bunch of high-level clerics aren't available for the next book.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, no, of course not. The dwarf councilor specifically stated that they will take a lot of time to find a new tree to make the next table with. The vote subplot is paused until after the Order solves the issue next book. Also means a bunch of high-level clerics aren't available for the next book.
    As I read your idea, I get the feeling that Roy and Company (Durkon becoming flesh by a bunch of dwarves dragging him out of the council chamber, and then he's not stone anymore ) re board Mechane confident that the council will vote in a way that is against Hel's plan and so they head for Kragor's gate. In other words, the vote is resolved off screen.

    So we will get a cut scene to what's going on up north with Xykon, MiTD, Reddie, Oona, O'Chul, and Lien ... and then ... book seven begins after a break.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-28 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, no, of course not. The dwarf councilor specifically stated that they will take a lot of time to find a new tree to make the next table with. The vote subplot is paused until after the Order solves the issue next book. Also means a bunch of high-level clerics aren't available for the next book.
    Yes. This is why I thought Durkon would remain petrified if the council remains not-adjourned for any length of time -- not adjourned means he stays petrified.'

    *Sigh* I suppose someone will pay the gold for a scroll of Break Enchantment or something like, but perhaps the Giant will surprise me with a more satisfying resolution.

    "Satisfying" in this sense meaning "Durkon is un-stoned, but in some way that makes use of the rules, rather than simply overriding them with more powerful magic. " After all, if Vaarsuvius can simply dispel the petrification magic, presumably ze could dispel the barriers as well. And if V could do that, why not do that during the battle instead of making that last battle for dwarves only?

    *Thinks*

    Maybe the scroll they will cast on him won't be Break Enchantment, but something along the lines of something that converts the statue into a stone golem? Will a stone cold Durkon march across the world with the certainty of an avalanche?

    ...

    yeaaah no. Still a cool mental image , at least to me.

    Yes, I had voiced the hope earlier that Durkon would be written out of the story, a stone statue for the duration of the meeting which would last the rest of the comic. Well, the Giant is obviously not going that way so I've adjusted my expectations. I trust him to write a good story even if it doesn't go exactly the way I would write it. That's why you're paying to read him and not me!

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-08-27 at 05:25 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

    -Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    As I read your idea, I get the feeling that Roy and Company (Durkon becoming flesh by a bunch of dwarves dragging him out of the council chamber, and then he's not stone anymore ) re board Mechane confident that the council will vote in a way that is against Hel's plan and so they head for Kragor's gate. In other words, the vote is resolved off screen.

    So we will get a cut scene to what's going on up north with Xykon, MiTD, Reddie, Oona, O'Chul, and Lien ... and then ... book seven begins after a break.
    No, the vote is not happening period. The dwarves are going to follow the law so precisely they never have a chance to vote until long after the Order solves the problem. The name of the comic is The Order of the Stick, not Random Collection of Dwarf Clan Leaders.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Jasdoif's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    No, the vote is not happening period. The dwarves are going to follow the law so precisely they never have a chance to vote until long after the Order solves the problem. The name of the comic is The Order of the Stick, not Random Collection of Dwarf Clan Leaders.
    : Shouldn't we stay for the vote? What if that invisible crow is still working for Hel?

    (cut-away panel: Xykon and Redcloak standing in front of Kraagor's Gate)

    : We don't have time.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-08-27 at 05:48 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RatElemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    "Satisfying" in this sense meaning "Durkon is un-stoned, but in some way that makes use of the rules, rather than simply overriding them with more powerful magic. " After all, if Vaarsuvius can simply dispel the petrification magic, presumably ze could dispel the barriers as well. And if V could do that, why not do that during the battle instead of making that last battle for dwarves only?
    It's not unlikely that the barriers themselves are stronger magic than the magic they themselves cast on lawbreakers.

    As basis for this, several artifacts in 3.5 cast the insanity spell on you if you don't fit certain criteria when you try to use them, or if you fail to use them properly. However, insanity (while hard to reverse) is reversible with a small list of spells, while breaking the artifact is much harder to do and comes with the risk of losing the ability to cast spells ever again.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Magrathea
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    It's not unlikely that the barriers themselves are stronger magic than the magic they themselves cast on lawbreakers.

    As basis for this, several artifacts in 3.5 cast the insanity spell on you if you don't fit certain criteria when you try to use them, or if you fail to use them properly. However, insanity (while hard to reverse) is reversible with a small list of spells, while breaking the artifact is much harder to do and comes with the risk of losing the ability to cast spells ever again.
    Probably this: the spells the barriers casts are easily dispelled with Dispel Magic, while the barriers themselves can only be shut down by a natural 20 and a high-level caster.

    (V possibly could dispel it, but it would be luck that determines it).

    Of course, I don't know if there's a DnD equivalent for the barriers themselves.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

    See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

    Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm


    "I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    hroĢila's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    No, the vote is not happening period. The dwarves are going to follow the law so precisely they never have a chance to vote until long after the Order solves the problem. The name of the comic is The Order of the Stick, not Random Collection of Dwarf Clan Leaders.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this stems from what The Giant wrote here about the protagonists being the ones who have to surmount the story's obstacles. Is that right?

    Personally, I think people often take that quote way too far, even in cases where it doesn't mesh with the comic at all (because in the comic we see supporting characters resolving more minor problems all the time). It doesn't mean that only the Order can do stuff and that they need to fix every single problem directly and personally. In this case, whether or not the dwarves vote, the Order already did what needed to be done in order to solve the problem. Without them, the council is dominated and votes Yes. If the council now votes No, that's still thanks to the Order. The council would be comparable to Bandana regaining control of the Mechane after a mutiny while the Order defended the ship from a lethal frost giant attack.
    Last edited by hroĢila; 2019-08-27 at 08:40 PM.
    ungelic is us

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    I think it's a safe bet that the godsmoot will not be resolved until after the main plot is.

    It's a good excuse to keep all those high-level clerics out of the action back at the Godsmoot. Durkon can unstoned by other means.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: What will Curly do?

    No, the vote is not happening period. The dwarves are going to follow the law so precisely they never have a chance to vote until long after the Order solves the problem. The name of the comic is The Order of the Stick, not Random Collection of Dwarf Clan Leaders.
    My guess is that Sigdi's family will be admitted as a great clan. And between her vote and the previously-dominated dwarf who didn't vote before the meeting was suspended, NO will have a (bare) majority and Durkon becomes flesh again without any additional magic required.

    There has to be a reason why it was emphasized that a "slim majority" was dominated, and Sigdi's backstory be worth more than her having lots of friends to call on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •