The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What will Curly do?

First, no new table means no more votes. Second, these are the oldest of clans, the dwarf equivalent of the Mayflower Society or the First Families of Virginia. Sigdi-Come-Lately doesn't even qualify as a parvenu.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    First, no new table means no more votes. Second, these are the oldest of clans, the dwarf equivalent of the Mayflower Society or the First Families of Virginia. Sigdi-Come-Lately doesn't even qualify as a parvenu.

We don't know if a Make Whole spell will be enough for a valid vote...or if for that matter they have a spare table in the closet which they all deemed wise to keep quiet about. My guess is that the council chair has the power to determine the validity of the table, so he could rule in favor of a Make Whole spell now but would've ruled against if the vampires were still in charge.

As to Sigdi's "clan" being new and small, how many of these "Mayflower Society" clans have literally saved the entire world? Not saying that that normally would get Sigdi this honor, but that it's good enough when it's in the interest of the dwarves to do so. Say, to wrap up the vote before a loose vampire causes more mischief--or if the someone convinces them that they need un-stoned Durkon ASAP to stop Xykon.

But in any case, we'll all find out sometime in September.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    In this case, whether or not the dwarves vote, the Order already did what needed to be done in order to solve the problem. Without them, the council is dominated and votes Yes. If the council now votes No, that's still thanks to the Order. The council would be comparable to Bandana regaining control of the Mechane after a mutiny while the Order defended the ship from a lethal frost giant attack.
    Thanks for saving me the work.
    First, no new table means no more votes.
    Second, these are the oldest of clans, the dwarf equivalent of the Mayflower Society or the First Families of Virginia. Sigdi-Come-Lately doesn't even qualify as a parvenu.
    If a new table is made available, that's solved.
    2. Agree in the FFV parallel.
    (I lived in Tidewater part of Virginia for a number of years and ran into the FFV thing now and again. I have various second and third cousins who have traced our shared family tree back to the Mayflower / Plymouth Rock. I completely see the point you are making here. No, I don't care to visit with them very often, their pretensions don't sit well with me).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-28 at 09:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

FFV? SO the tree they get the new table from is going to be throwing Cities and small Islands into the VOID??
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    FFV? SO the tree they get the new table from is going to be throwing Cities and small Islands into the VOID??
    FF(V) is not FFV.
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also quite handsome) ... 2D8HP told me so

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Well hopefully she'll die. That would be a good thing for everyone.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just had a thought about how Durkon gets unstoned.
    There's a few (2+) dwarven bards with Song of Freedom and a room of councillors that need domination removed.
    In offering to help, the bards cast song of freedom and, woops looks like Durkon was in range too, how did that happen? And who knew SoF broke petrification, I sure didn't. Anyway we'll be leaving now and we'll just take this vandal out of your way, your lord and ladyships, if you want help with the table, let us know...

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Her options are pretty much run away or die trying.

9. - Top - End - #69

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    There's a few (2+) dwarven bards with Song of Freedom and a room of councillors that need domination removed.
    In offering to help, the bards cast song of freedom and, woops looks like Durkon was in range too, how did that happen? And who knew SoF broke petrification, I sure didn't. Anyway we'll be leaving now and we'll just take this vandal out of your way, your lord and ladyships, if you want help with the table, let us know...
    Most of the domination is gone now since Gontor and Sandy aren't around any more. At least the one guy who haven't voted yet is free of the domination. They could probably settle the vote now if they fixed the table.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I mean, there's plenty of Dwarven mages among the Thundershield Extended Family Army, and even if they don't V knows that Stoning is a possibility and so will pack a pair of Break Enchantment or some such ability.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #71

She already did. Quite a while ago.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

12. - Top - End - #72

It was only a day ago, not that long ago.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    It was only a day ago, not that long ago.
    Comic book time though. One day is practically forever!

14. - Top - End - #74

Comic book time though. One day is practically forever!
    She was created two years ago, god, how is that possible? When I first saw 1136 in my first read I thought "seriously? This took five and 1/2 years? I read that part yesterday."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Not quite.

Curly's Host, who may or may not also be named Curly, died yesterday. Curly the Vampire is still unalive.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Comeon, her scene already switched to the Gods "closure", and we're like 12 strips from the ending. Those will deal with more important matters, like the vote, Durkon & Sigdi, Xykon finding Kraagor's Gate, and other stuff like that.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBV View Post
    Comeon, her scene already switched to the Gods "closure", and we're like 12 strips from the ending. Those will deal with more important matters, like the vote, Durkon & Sigdi, Xykon finding Kraagor's Gate, and other stuff like that.
    Important stuff, like, did Lien beat O'Chul during any of the games of Go?
    How many more doors did MiTD mark off that were not searched?
    Did Greyview get enough treats?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-08-29 at 12:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBV View Post
    It can be addressed in one panel, or even a throwaway gag if the Giant doesn't want to waste the strip space on it. But given that Hilgya observed her fleeing, I strongly doubt the story will end without at least a little further followup. Since the story has already moved past Hel's plot , I suspect Hilgya will empowered flame strike her after some dialog, and that will be that. Loki's clerics hate undead, after all.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Loki's clerics hate undead, after all.
    For Lo, they are such gross icky things!

Here's a thought: Hel makes vampires just to spite her dad. Makes sense.

20. - Top - End - #80

Not quite.

Curly's Host, who may or may not also be named Curly, died yesterday. Curly the Vampire is still unalive.
    We knew we needed more transparent rules when Curly* was used for the living one.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    We knew we needed more transparent rules when Curly* was used for the living one.
    And then we decided that Curly** is the vamped one.

22. - Top - End - #82

Not quite.

And yet, still Life signs = 0.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    And then we decided that Curly** is the vamped one.
    I don't see the need to call her Unattested Curly or Ungrammatical Curly.
    ungelic is us

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    I don't see the need to call her Unattested Curly or Ungrammatical Curly.
    Has anyone in-universe attested to her being "Curly"?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, no, of course not. The dwarf councilor specifically stated that they will take a lot of time to find a new tree to make the next table with. The vote subplot is paused until after the Order solves the issue next book. Also means a bunch of high-level clerics aren't available for the next book.
    That seems like a strange conclusion to jump to. The clerics at the godsmoot won't help the Order resolve the main plot for the same reason they wouldn't buff him in his fight at the moot: the gods don't agree on the best course of action. Roy observes that the gods, taken as a group, do not have the mortals' best interests at their highest priority.

The issue with the table can be resolved with a single scroll, which Durkon knew ahead of time they might need. Once the final dwarf votes, the godsmoot vote can also be concluded with Dvalin voting no.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Ignoring the point. The high priests have no need to serve mortal interests. Half of them are on the hook for "Go destroy this thing so we can have an excuse for blowing up the planet", which is more power than the Order can handle. The other half are on the hook for "Go prevent anyone from harming this thing", which is more power than Team Evil can handle. To keep Team Cleric (Redux) from overshadowing either the heroes or the main villains, they need to be sidelined.

The dwarves have overtly stated that a new tree needs to be found and cut down to make a new table. Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future. Again, the comic is called "Order of the Stick", not Random Collection of Side Characters.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Has anyone in-universe attested to her being "Curly"?
    We can apply comparative aesthetics to determine that she is most likely Curly.
    ungelic is us

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future.
    Where's that?
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Ignoring the point. The high priests have no need to serve mortal interests. Half of them are on the hook for "Go destroy this thing so we can have an excuse for blowing up the planet", which is more power than the Order can handle. The other half are on the hook for "Go prevent anyone from harming this thing", which is more power than Team Evil can handle. To keep Team Cleric (Redux) from overshadowing either the heroes or the main villains, they need to be sidelined.

The dwarves have overtly stated that a new tree needs to be found and cut down to make a new table. Rich has adequately signposted that everything related to the Godsmoot is stuck for the foreseeable future. Again, the comic is called "Order of the Stick", not Random Collection of Side Characters.
    I think you are greatly overestimating how powerful the high priests are. This isn't a world with a dozen epic level clerics floating around. When Durkon was a kid, the High Priest of Odin was the only dwarf cleric in the world who was 13th level or higher. Most of the clerics at the godsmoot are probably lower level. Even if every single one of them wanted to help the Order, they
    a)Don't all necessarily have a means of getting to the North Pole in time, and
    b)Aren't "more power than Team Evil can handle."

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I think you are greatly overestimating how powerful the high priests are. This isn't a world with a dozen epic level clerics floating around. When Durkon was a kid, the High Priest of Odin was the only dwarf cleric in the world who was 13th level or higher. Most of the clerics at the godsmoot are probably lower level. Even if every single one of them wanted to help the Order, they
    a)Don't all necessarily have a means of getting to the North Pole in time, and
    b)Aren't "more power than Team Evil can handle."
    I mean, any given High Priest is probably on par with any given member of the Order, so while having just one simply is another strong Cleric, having ALL OF THEM would be able to deal with Xykon and RC, simply because it's like 9 upper-mid to high level Clerics.
    The old HPoO was probably not the only 13+ level Cleric, but was probably the only well-known one, or one of the few well-known ones. The High Priests are probably picked for devotion and power, not just raw levels.

Point a still holds true though, unless they all suddenly teleport or hitch a ride to get to the North Pole.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-08-31 at 08:01 AM.

-Squire Doodad