New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] RC's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time IC

Quote Originally Posted by Nippi
    Aw, Zippo, don't feel embarassed! You did great!
    Humm, I guess I haven't thought about planning for fights before now. That's probably pretty different from when it's just me and Koli hunting for our dinner. What do you suggest?
    Thank you, Nippi! Zippo replies while his face turns a bit red. What about I'm running forward, drawing attention, while you and you are coming from the side and you guys are shooting them? he says, pointing at the others, making big gestures until he continues more silently Or something different? My last plan I made had something to do with a treehouse and two big leaves and some sort of flying if you remember... Any other idea for a fighting-plan is better, for sure!
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-09-03 at 04:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vikka looks to Zippo and manages to let out a strangled reply "It would probably best to not run head first at all. We do not know much about our surroundings so it is probably best to cautiously approach each situation if we can. Next time we may not be so lucky to have our opponents so stationary..."

As for the topic about the webs, Vikka did not have any idea whatsoever and her adding to the topic would not be helpful so she left it to people who were more qualified.
    Blarg...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Weaver examines the webs in the hole in the middle of the room. The webs are thick cord about half an inch in diameter, and very tough, sticky, and dripping with the dew that clings thickly to everything in this chamber. The strands are too dense to push past even for the fairies, yet are surprisingly springy. Cutting them with a blade would be very heavy going. From down below you hear muted sounds of running water, and maybe some... chittering? Xenia and Weaver are aware that these webs must have been made by very large spiders indeed, but Nippi recognises these as Skulltula webs, a particularly nasty kind of armoured arachnid that can grow to more than twice the size of a kokiri! Navi concurrs.

"We might be able to cut through," Navi suggests, flitting over the webs looking for an opening that clearly isn't there. "But it would take a long while and may attract the attention of the skulltulas who built this web." She peers upwards into the gloom above. "Maybe the source of the curse is up there? Or we might find a better way to get past these webs."

The ramp in the north of the room winds smoothly up over about 40ft to a height of 20ft, followed by a gap of about 10ft to the next platform. From there you think you can make out thick vines on the wall leading higher still.

What do you do?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This web seems really strong, so it not only keeps us from getting down, it hinders whatever from coming up --- maybe. I vote for going upwards! But now, I have to do something: Zippo takes his sword and holds it behind is back, pointing away from him, his shield in front of him. So he walks towards the high gras and when in front of it, he turns 360° to mow all the gras down.
    That's a move I always wanted to try! HAHAHA!!!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi grins at Zippo. "I'll invite you and your sword over next time I need to mow the lawn." He cranes his neck back, looking up into the cavernous bole, thinks for a minute, and starts stringing his bow. "If there are deku scrubs up there, it's best to be ready. You can't tell whether they'll want to share a snack or pelt you with nuts!"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver felt a warm feeling from Vikka’s off-handed support of his assertions, turning towards the hole to hide his blush. Peering at the webbings, he pushed on one strand with his stick. Weaver nodded absently at Zippo. “Yeah, I’ve seen this before - it’d be a deku pain to push or cut through this.”

As talked turned to the upper levels, Weaver gazed up into the huge chamber, struck by the enormity of it. With a sigh, he turned to the others, snorting at Zippo’s little maneuver before sharing his thoughts.

“S-So it sounds like everyone agrees with me, yes? Yes. So scout ahead ... shoot first when possible ... charge when necessary. Most of you are pretty sneaky, but I’ve seen Zika in action, so um, we, that is her and me, e, I mean she and I, should probably go first. You guys keep those balls of fire and grass-mowing skills ready. Yes? Yes. ”

Weaver moved to follow Zika up the ramps, presuming she was ready and willing.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for the delay - ready to press. And for the record, Weaver isn’t really that sneaky
    Move silenty - (1d20+4)[17], Hide - (1d20+10)[24], Listen - (1d20+5)[12], Spot - (1d20+5)[16], Search - (1d20+7)[16]
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 17; AC: 18 FF/Touch: 14/15
    F +4 R +8 W +4 Init: +4 Move: 30’
    Dagger (+3, 1d4 / Thrown +6, 1d4); Shortbow (+6, 1d4)
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +4
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3
    Effects: Evasion, KS devotion
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Xenia nods and follows along after the others, eyes darting around the wide space as she walks.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"To go up you'll all need to make it to that next platfrom," Navi suggests. "Zola and I can fly up there, but how will the rest of you make it? Can you all make the jump?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This gap is what? About 10ft? That's easy. Look! Zippo starts running and jumps onto the next platform. There he waits, pulls his rope out of his backpack and holds it up. Anyone wants to secure her- or himself? He shouts

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Jump: (1d20+10)[16]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Zippo does in fact clear the gap like a boss!

"Yes, that's how you do it! Who's next?" Navi cries.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-09-08 at 10:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi walks to the farthest point and peers at the target platform. "Hmm." He goes back to Koli and takes a hefty coil of rope out of the pack she carries. "Having this around is nice, but Miss Puppy moves a lot more easily when it's not weighing her down." He leaves the rope to the side of the ramp, gets back on his loyal steed, and directs her to run. "Go to Zippo, baby! Go to Zippo!" The pair easily clear the gap, then make room for the next Kokiri leaper. "Good girl, Koli!"

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver reached the ramp and started to scratch his chin as he realized they would have to jump up. “Oh, uh yeah, we probably need to get up there so ...” He trailed off as the others began to leap up and across to the other side. He stood nonplussed for a moment, then glanced quickly back at the others, nodded silently and started to run.
    Show
    Jump - (1d20+2)[12] ... vs DC 10? 15?
    Show
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +5/+5/+7 Move Silently/Hide +4/+10 Balance/Tumble +10/8 Bluff/G Info +9 D Device/Open locks +8/+4 UMD +8 KS Local/Planes +9/+5 KS Rel/Nat/Arc/Dun/His +4
    Items: Mug (12 oz drink) 3/3; Caltrops (5’ square) 5/5; Lightning (RTA 1d8+5, +3 vs metal) 3/3

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Zippo starts tying one end of the rope around his waist, the other end he throws down
    Here Xenia, you can climb up the rope!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Xenia looks up at the rope, then rummages in her bag and pulls out a large jug. She pours out a small pile of glittering sand, then furrows her brow and concentrates. After a moment the sand begins to flow and move, eventually forming into a pair of small climbing claws and gloves. She fits the climbing claws between her toes, puts on the gloves, and with a few stops and starts begins climbing up the rope, bracing her feet against the wall. ”Sorry, Great Deku Tree,” she whispers, as her climbing claws gain purchase on the damp wood. ”Hope this doesn’t tickle too much.”

When she finally makes it to the top she pulls out the jug again, opens the stopper and concentrates once more. The climbing tools turn back into sand, then rise up and fall in a thin stream back into the jug. Once she catches her breath, she gives Zippo a quick smile. ”Thanks for the lift,” she says.

Show

Shape her shapesand into a climber’s kit for the +2 circumstance bonus to climb checks. (It’s a DC 16 Wisdom check, but there’s no penalty for failure and she has a +3 Wisdom, so she’ll just keep trying until she succeeds.)

It’s a DC 5 climb check while braced against a wall and using a rope, and with the circumstance bonus canceling out her penalty to climb checks she can’t fail by 5 or more, so she’ll just take as long as she needs:
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[11]
    (1d20)[2]

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

15. - Top - End - #45

Vikka quietly watches the others make their attempts to get to the other platform. Once content she gives herself the space she needed and then broke into a casual, practiced gait before crouching into the leap.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Well let's see how this goes!
    Jump (1d20+10)[13]
    Blarg...

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi stares unabashedly at Xenia's sand trick, open-mouthed with surprise. "Wow. How did y-- oh gosh, there it goes, back in the jug! How did you do that, Xenia?" Not fully expecting (or needing) an answer, he takes his ocarina from a pouch and tries to express the event musically. A pop! for the jug opening, a long airy note wandering over an octave to represent the flowing-shaping, a chittering staccato for the scramble across ...

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Having all made it onto the 10ft by 5ft platform (it's a little crowded, but you just about all squeeze on), you turn your attention to the next obstacle in your ascent. Vines grow densely out of the platform and ascend the wall of the chamber to another series of platforms about 30ft above. There are plenty of good handholds, but this might be tricky for Koli. What do you do?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi pats Koli on the shoulder. "Stay here, girl. I'll be back!" He stands back and looks up at the wall, trying to guess a good way to climb.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #49

Vikka awkwardly pipes up "Ugh.... maybe before we climb we should check to see if anything else is already on the vine. It would be best to not come into contact with a nasty beasty while we are in the middle of climbing...."

Show
    I shall attempt a spot check... alas if swordsage only had it as a class skill.

(1d20+3)[9]
    Blarg...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver brushed himself off, nodding in satisfaction. He glanced around, whispering, ”That was almost as exciting when I had to jump across the creek last week. Ah well, I guess, um, Vikka is right. We should scout first. I g-guess I could look around ...”

Sighing, Weaver approached the vines and began climbing. As he approached the next platform, he paused to look or hear any unusual activity in the area.
    Show
    Climb - (1d20)[15], Listen - (1d20+5)[10]
    Spot - (1d20+5)[18]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Looking up at the thick, tangled vines, Xenia blanches. [i]"Hey! Guess you shouldn't have unshaped your climbing tools so fast!"[/b] Mab squeaks.

Xenia squints, trying her best to catch sight of any unpleasant surprises. Then she pulls out her jug of shapesand once more, recreating the gloves and climbing claws she so hastily unshaped moments before. She tugs at the vines nervously, trying her best not to think about the potential fall, and begins to climb.

Show

Reshape a climber's kit.

Listen: (1d20+11)[30]
    Spot: (1d20+11)[23]
    Climb: (1d20)[11]

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Zippo holds himself back and doesn't rush forward --- too fast. He puts his shield on his back and sheats his sword, grabs a vine and starts climbing. He climbs fast

Show
    Accelerated climbing with -5 for half speed instead of one-quater
    (1d20+9)[23] -5

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Koli looks like she's trying to figure out how she'll manage the climb. Nippi reminds her, "Stay here, girl. Stay here," and then rubs his hands together and starts upward. The dog sighs and lies down, head on crossed paws.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

It isn't a difficult climb, although Koli's plaintiff face is a little difficult to leave behind, and pretty soon you're up onto the next level of platforms 50ft above ground level forming a rough broken ring. The vines you came up on grow up through a gap in the east, and Zippo just so happened to have stepped off to the North and the rest of you followed, Weaver close behind propelled by faux-bravado.

The platforms at this level appear to have been somewhat shaped by tools, flattened off to be easier to stand on although the wood is still soft, moist, and spongy. Someone has fashioned a few crude plank bridges to span a few of the larger gaps, and a ramshackle door closes a large crack in a large knot to the west.

To the North by Zippo another series of vines ascend to another ring above, although this time the path upwards traverses a severe overhang. It looks pretty difficult! To the South opposite another set of vines ascends and the path appears a little easier, but white webs intermingle densely with the vines.

Xenia spots something that might be a deku nut in the long grass between the bridges to the South.

"Which way shall we go next?" Navi asks.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-09-16 at 02:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi looks up while idly making soft bop! noises on the trunk. "Uhm, Weaver, I know you're gonna say to take the hard way, but I don't think I'm as skilled as you. I think we should try the webby spot over there."

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Weaver grinned. ”I was gonna say we should check the door. Plenty of time to go up in a little bit, I’m sure!”

He nodded to Vikka to lead the scouting while he joined her.

Time for scouty stuff - Move silently - (1d30+4)[34], Hide - (1d20+10)[28], Spot - (1d20+5)[6] Listen - (1d20+5)[14], Search - (1d20+7)[10]
    Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-09-17 at 01:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nippi, if you want, I think, I can drag Koli up...
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-09-17 at 05:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Nippi takes a long look up again. "That's a lot of dragging. And we'd have to get her down again afterward. Let's just see what's ahead first."

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #59

Vikka lets out a long sigh after Zippo just darts up head first again. She looks at Weaver and shakes her head "No we must stick together..." she shuffles over to the ledge and begins to slowly climb it.

Show
    Vikka has no ranks in climb... Vikka is going to take 10 for a 12 and pray she doesnt fall!
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Xenia looks around. ”Go up?” she asks. ”Why not find out what’s here first?” She squints, and points at the grass across from the group. ”I can see something over there, I think. Maybe another Deku nut? And shouldn’t we see what’s through that door before we keep climbing?”

She carefully starts making her way around the circular platforms, pointedly not looking over she side. She stops about halfway to the platform with the grass to stand behind Weaver and watch in fascination as they check the door. Then she continues on, wand at her ready, and begins approaching the grassy area to get a better look at whatever she spotted.

Show

Ready an action to entangle anything that jumps out at Xenia.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD