The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of the Korvosan Guard [3.5 City-based Game]

Roger Makarrow is complete.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarbecueChip View Post
    Thou shalt serve in the city guard for a term not less than five years. During that time, thou shalt not violate any law of the city of Korvosa, nor by your willful inaction allow any law to be violated if it is within your power to prevent it.
    He's three-laws compliant

Why did you zero out your skill points like that?
    That's a habit I got into to help GMs verify skill points on higher level/multiclass characters. Proobably not needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    More generally: On background, I'm happy to work with and modify my background so as to know other PCs prior to the start of the campaign, most easily with those originating from poverty-stricken backgrounds. We could've come from the same neighbourhood and just went in different directions in life... :)
    If Deklen and Janna knew of each other I think Deklen would (reasonably) suspect Janna of secretly taking bribes, while Janna would privately joke about Deklen being a "law zombie". When it comes to the work, I think Janna would respect Deklen's pragmatism, but personally thinks the job gets a lot easier when you're willing to cut corners.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2019-08-25 at 06:45 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    If Deklen and Janna knew of each other I think Deklen would (reasonably) suspect Janna of secretly taking bribes, while Janna would privately joke about Deklen being a "law zombie". When it comes to the work, I think Janna would respect Deklen's pragmatism, but personally thinks the job gets a lot easier when you're willing to cut corners.
    I'm guessing Deklen doesn't have any problem with Janna taking bribes, and has no earthly desire to interfere with that practice unless and until it gets in his way (though he wouldn't be saying anything about that sentiment as such). While an asset is functioning correctly, you don't tinker with it.

"This city's kinder to devils than it is to destitutes," though? I suspect Deklen's reply would be "Maybe that's because devils are better than destitutes at keeping destitutes from eating each other ... though it didn't seem to dissuade those two halfling beggars down Cragmere Street last week."

4. - Top - End - #34

"This city's kinder to devils than it is to destitutes," though? I suspect Deklen's reply would be "Maybe that's because devils are better than destitutes at keeping destitutes from eating each other ... though it didn't seem to dissuade those two halfling beggars down Cragmere Street last week."
    Halfling cannibalism smh. I always knew second breakfast had a dark side. You just can't maintain a halfling diet in a city that imports ninety-percent of its food!

5. - Top - End - #35

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roquefort “Rock“ Simbarian signs up for duty

He's almost ready. Backstory is missing, but I don't think I will change the crunch...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fine by me! (The 'by omission of action' thing will be interesting to navigate, but let me know by sudden bursts of outside pain that I'm up against the borders of the Geas and I'll be fine ... either way, no problem, I accept!)

More generally: On background, I'm happy to work with and modify my background so as to know other PCs prior to the start of the campaign, most easily with those originating from poverty-stricken backgrounds. We could've come from the same neighbourhood and just went in different directions in life... :)
    The geas can certainly send warning pangs before going full shock collar. The inactions clause was mostly the Hellknight being in universe smart enough to avoid people saying "well if I'm not in the room I dont know any laws were broken"

Perhaps we should shift the wording to "Thou shalt not let a violation of the law go unpunished" seems much more devilish to me now that I think about it.

Also, I just remembered: I dont recognize your deity? All I get from searching is a stub article on PFwiki.

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Review tonight!

He's three-laws compliant

That's a habit I got into to help GMs verify skill points on higher level/multiclass characters. Proobably not needed here.
    Not exactly what I had in mind but you're right

And that makes sense.

Halfling cannibalism smh. I always knew second breakfast had a dark side. You just can't maintain a halfling diet in a city that imports ninety-percent of its food!

Quote Originally Posted by Fliggl View Post
    Roquefort “Rock“ Simbarian signs up for duty

He's almost ready. Backstory is missing, but I don't think I will change the crunch...
    Review tonight!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

HP: (8d4)[1][2][4][2][2][3][4][2](20)

Sheet is done for Edredus.

mythweavers/sheet.html#id=1994146 is where his sheet is.
    Last edited by Ravenstower; 2019-08-25 at 08:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Roquefort “Rock“ Simbarian

Vital Statistics: Human, Male, Age: 42
    Monk 1 / Sorcerer 1
    Expected Role: atm blaster, later melee

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Roquefort was born and raised in Ridgefield. He is the firstborn of formerly 7 children. His mother died while giving birth to the last one and tragically all of his father and his 6 siblings died when their house burned down. At this time, he was 13 and managed it somehow to assist his father, with working at the docks.

But thereafter there was no reason to work there anymore. He quit and left Korvosa (city). Somehow, with his golden tongue he always had, he managed it, to become a member of the Zouken-order, a monastic order dedicated to the “Master of Da’Shon and Edel”. There he lived until his adulthood.

He was nonetheless thankful and grateful that they gave him shelter, but for one reason or another, he had to go. He was restless, something, deep inside, told him to leave.

He left and wandered around. He settled down somewhere in the mountains, there was a cave and a small river besides. He managed it to live and meditate there for seven years.

Until one day. During one of his meditations, Roquefort felt an explosion of energy inside his body. Nothing he felt ever before, but it felt... familiar. It felt like he carried this power all the time inside of him, but now it starts to grow. He can cast minor tricks and spells now, but it feels that this power is still raising!

He heard stories of people with dragons in their bloodline and because of this, they were able to cast. Rumours say that even a devil can be the cause... But being the last known ancestor of his family, he doesn't know whom to ask...

Inside of his cave, his self-teachings hadn't much effort anymore. He knew what to do, he had to leave his home again. And where, when not as a guard, you are able to:
    - earn a living
    - have enough spare time to practice
    - meet a lot of people, maybe some new “teacher“

So he signed himself in as the city guard.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Marcus Kincaid is completed.

My player profile.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

The geas can certainly send warning pangs before going full shock collar. The inactions clause was mostly the Hellknight being in universe smart enough to avoid people saying "well if I'm not in the room I dont know any laws were broken"

Perhaps we should shift the wording to "Thou shalt not let a violation of the law go unpunished" seems much more devilish to me now that I think about it.

Also, I just remembered: I dont recognize your deity? All I get from searching is a stub article on PFwiki.
    I forgot - Xan Yae is a goddess out of the Official Listing of Greyhawk Deities and a couple of Dragon magazines, so I probably should ditch her. It's not significant, I don't plan to take any cleric or divine levels anyway, it's more to add a certain spiritual aspect to the character at some point. Goddess of twilight, shadows, stealth. There's a Greyhawk Wiki page on her here: https://ghwiki.greyparticle.com/index.php/Xan_Yae

And yeah, "let no violations of law go unpunished" would also be acceptable too! :)

11. - Top - End - #41

AssassinGuy

Thought I'd help out by updating this.

Table: Applicants
    Player Concept Sheet
    An Amy Neutral Good Human Urban Druid Isara Wellspire
    stanleyindraven Lawful Neutral Human Monk Jortun
    Saintheart Lawful Evil Geas'd Human Rogue Deklen O'Shade
    fyleisch Chaotic Neutral Human Barbarian Janna Fleet
    FinnDarkblade Lawful Good Human Beguiler Marcus Kincaid
    Fliggl Lawful Neutral Human Monk/Sorcerer Roquefort “Rock“ Simbarian
    u-b Lawful Neutral Human Urban Ranger Roger Makarrow

My player profile.

12. - Top - End - #42

I would enjoy having Isara known/know/friend/frenemy with some other characters prior to the start. She grew up on farms and rural areas outside the city, in the various agricultural support harvesting for the Lords. She spent a lot of time between the outside of the city and in Old Korvosan. Wanting to be of more effect and have more freedom moving about the city without being looked down upon (necessarily), she joined the guard. A bit more detail in there, but that's the gist of it. I think she's also one of two characters with Urban Tracking.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by An Amy View Post
    I would enjoy having Isara known/know/friend/frenemy with some other characters prior to the start. She grew up on farms and rural areas outside the city, in the various agricultural support harvesting for the Lords. She spent a lot of time between the outside of the city and in Old Korvosan. Wanting to be of more effect and have more freedom moving about the city without being looked down upon (necessarily), she joined the guard. A bit more detail in there, but that's the gist of it. I think she's also one of two characters with Urban Tracking.
    Happy to function as a frenemy if you like (and assuming we're both selected): Deklen could easily see Isara as a country rube or something similar who's just too good for this town, though he'd not let that come out while others are around. :)

Also for full disclosure to TheBarbecueChip: I slightly updated my character sheet - turned out I did have enough money left for a ranged option, even if it's just a plain, orthodox shortbow and 40 arrows. Also updated with weight of gear.

14. - Top - End - #44

For some final touches and such, would like to know if there are regional or socio-economic languages.
    As for gear and such, what is being provided by the guard "free" and what comes out of our level 2 wealth?
    Are guards given quarters where they can keep things? A locker for personal stuff? Or are we expected to instead have homes of our own somewhere in the city?

Happy to function as a frenemy if you like (and assuming we're both selected): Deklen could easily see Isara as a country rube or something similar who's just too good for this town, though he'd not let that come out while others are around. :)
    Given that they would know each other regardless, does Deklen keep secret that he was arrested and geased? Is that something the guard would know or was that an under-table/handed sort of arrangement? She would likely see him as ill-fit to serve as city guard and believes that it is not a station that should be used as a form of punishment or rehabilitation. She wouldn't necessarily have that "I'm keeping my eye on you" sort of approach, but she'd not be happy about it and would be wary of him. I could see that they wouldn't like each other but she wouldn't be outright hostile unless he was.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not that I'm complaining per say, but when I said Deities were Greyhawkian, I didn't expect you guys to take it as a challenge to invoke the most obscure deities you could find in that setting

All good!

Roquefort “Rock“ Simbarian
    Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Roquefort was born and raised in Ridgefield. He is the firstborn of formerly 7 children. His mother died while giving birth to the last one and tragically all of his father and his 6 siblings died when their house burned down. At this time, he was 13 and managed it somehow to assist his father, with working at the docks.

But thereafter there was no reason to work there anymore. He quit and left Korvosa (city). Somehow, with his golden tongue he always had, he managed it, to become a member of the Zouken-order, a monastic order dedicated to the “Master of Da’Shon and Edel”. There he lived until his adulthood.

He was nonetheless thankful and grateful that they gave him shelter, but for one reason or another, he had to go. He was restless, something, deep inside, told him to leave.

He left and wandered around. He settled down somewhere in the mountains, there was a cave and a small river besides. He managed it to live and meditate there for seven years.

Until one day. During one of his meditations, Roquefort felt an explosion of energy inside his body. Nothing he felt ever before, but it felt... familiar. It felt like he carried this power all the time inside of him, but now it starts to grow. He can cast minor tricks and spells now, but it feels that this power is still raising!

He heard stories of people with dragons in their bloodline and because of this, they were able to cast. Rumours say that even a devil can be the cause... But being the last known ancestor of his family, he doesn't know whom to ask...

Inside of his cave, his self-teachings hadn't much effort anymore. He knew what to do, he had to leave his home again. And where, when not as a guard, you are able to:
    - earn a living
    - have enough spare time to practice
    - meet a lot of people, maybe some new “teacher“

So he signed himself in as the city guard.
    Sheet looks good. Backstory is alright, but once again it kinda reads as, "[Character] hopped off the boat and right into the guard." Police forces don't tend to hire complete strangers

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Marcus Kincaid is completed.
    Looks good to me.

I forgot - Xan Yae is a goddess out of the Official Listing of Greyhawk Deities and a couple of Dragon magazines, so I probably should ditch her. It's not significant, I don't plan to take any cleric or divine levels anyway, it's more to add a certain spiritual aspect to the character at some point. Goddess of twilight, shadows, stealth. There's a Greyhawk Wiki page on her here: https://ghwiki.greyparticle.com/index.php/Xan_Yae

And yeah, "let no violations of law go unpunished" would also be acceptable too! :)
    Cool Cool.

So, much like I'm changing the perspective of the AP, I'm also changing the surrounding geography of the region from the default. Korvosa is a city almost entirely supplied by trade, from the sea and from over-land caravans. The immediate environs of the city are rocky foothills and quite dangerous for two main reasons. The first is engendered hostility of the indigenous population and the second is the natural hostility of the local climate, flora, and fauna.

These issues combine to result in the fact that there's really not much in the way of rural areas outside Korvosa. There are some farms and ranches within sight of the city walls, but the land is poor and ill suited to any type of long term agriculture. Once you get much beyond that the countryside is full of dangerous beasts and angry Shoanti tribes. The Hellknights do a fairly good job of keeping the road to their citadel, some fifty miles to the south, clear and safe, but the nearest settlement of any size at all, Harse, is more than a hundred miles north. It exists merely because it is located at the joining of a pair of rivers, and about another hundred and fifty miles up stream the land becomes properly arable, leading to the produce being shipped down and staged at Harse.

Beyond the relatively small region of arable land, complete with a moderately sized forest, is a steep escarpment that leads to the Cinderlands, a region that is even less hospitable than the immediate environs of Korvosa proper. To the west of Korvosa is a large gulf that leads out to a wider sea, while to the east and south are a range of high, snowcapped mountains inhabited by a few dwarf tribes and the occasional giant folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstower View Post
    Sheet is done for Edredus.

mythweavers/sheet.html#id=1994146 is where his sheet is.
    Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Thought I'd help out by updating this.

Table: Applicants
    Player Concept Sheet
    An Amy Neutral Good Human Urban Druid Isara Wellspire
    stanleyindraven Lawful Neutral Human Monk Jortun
    Saintheart Lawful Evil Geas'd Human Rogue Deklen O'Shade
    fyleisch Chaotic Neutral Human Barbarian Janna Fleet
    FinnDarkblade Lawful Good Human Beguiler Marcus Kincaid
    Fliggl Lawful Neutral Human Monk/Sorcerer Roquefort “Rock“ Simbarian
    u-b Lawful Neutral Human Urban Ranger Roger Makarrow
    Ravenstower Lawful Neutral Human Erudite Edredus
    rax Neutral Human Scout/Fighter Lucian Espada
    Danke

Spoiler: Brief General Information About Human Ethnic Groups
    Show
    Imperial (Chelaxian) - Tall and in general fair complected with heavier builds, Imperials tend to value political relationships over any other types. This tendency is what has lead to the Imperial proclivity towards nation building. These are also the humans most likely to engage in the worship of fiends. Society modeled on a blend of Northern European influences.

Varisians (mostly because I don't have a better name) - Shorter and more slender on average than an Imperial with darker skin, hair, and eyes. Fine of feature and flamboyant in their dress, Varisians value family bonds above all others, tending to live in large multi-generational groups, wherever they go. Society modeled on Southern European influences.

Shoanti (again because I'm bad at names) - Shoanti usually combine the heavier builds of Imperials with the lesser stature of Varisians. They are darker skinned than Varisians and their hair is universally black as a moonless night. In their culture one's relationship to the natural and the spiritual trumps all other bonds. Society modeled on Amerindians, specifically Plains Indians culture.
    Last edited by TheBarbecueChip; 2019-09-01 at 12:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Double post because I take forever to do anything

Also for full disclosure to TheBarbecueChip: I slightly updated my character sheet - turned out I did have enough money left for a ranged option, even if it's just a plain, orthodox shortbow and 40 arrows. Also updated with weight of gear.
    Thank you for letting me know. Feel free to tinker with such minor things like gear choices up until selection. I hope to do that in a few days, since we already have so many complete/semi-complete applications.

For some final touches and such, would like to know if there are regional or socio-economic languages.
    As for gear and such, what is being provided by the guard "free" and what comes out of our level 2 wealth?
    Are guards given quarters where they can keep things? A locker for personal stuff? Or are we expected to instead have homes of our own somewhere in the city?

Given that they would know each other regardless, does Deklen keep secret that he was arrested and geased? Is that something the guard would know or was that an under-table/handed sort of arrangement? She would likely see him as ill-fit to serve as city guard and believes that it is not a station that should be used as a form of punishment or rehabilitation. She wouldn't necessarily have that "I'm keeping my eye on you" sort of approach, but she'd not be happy about it and would be wary of him. I could see that they wouldn't like each other but she wouldn't be outright hostile unless he was.
    The Shoanti have their own language. As do the Varisians and the Imperials, although a common pidgin mutually intelligible to all three parties has developed within the city of Korvosa. There is a thieves' cant of sorts within the city but much like Druidic it is limited to initiated members of the Cerulean Society.

Assume that any single item worth over 100 gp has been issued by the guard.

The guard station has lockers for all members stationed there. There are a few bunks available and these are generally used for guardsmen that are on duty but not on patrol, or who have just come off a watch. It is frowned upon, but not unheard of for a guardsman to live out of the station for weeks or a month or two at a time. Guards are generally expected to keep personal quarters somewhere offsite. Assume that rent/ownership has been taken care of pre-game (i.e. you don't have to spend starting cash on it. Only requirements are that it mesh with your backstory).

It is not unheard of for the Hellkinghts to do something like what they did in Deklen's situation, they have a bit of a reputation for going judge, jury, and executioner. Also slavery/indentured servitude as punishment for the commission of a crime is fairly common. The guard officer in charge of Deklen definitely knows his situation, but wouldn't have passed it around. Other than that I leave it up to Saintheart.

17. - Top - End - #47

So, much like I'm changing the perspective of the AP, I'm also changing the surrounding geography of the region from the default. Korvosa is a city almost entirely supplied by trade, from the sea and from over-land caravans. The immediate environs of the city are rocky foothills and quite dangerous for two main reasons. The first is engendered hostility of the indigenous population and the second is the natural hostility of the local climate, flora, and fauna.

These issues combine to result in the fact that there's really not much in the way of rural areas outside Korvosa. There are some farms and ranches within sight of the city walls, but the land is poor and ill suited to any type of long term agriculture. Once you get much beyond that the countryside is full of dangerous beasts and angry Shoanti tribes. The Hellknights do a fairly good job of keeping the road to their citadel, some fifty miles to the south, clear and safe, but the nearest settlement of any size at all, Harse, is more than a hundred miles north. It exists merely because it is located at the joining of a pair of rivers, and about another hundred and fifty miles up stream the land becomes properly arable, leading to the produce being shipped down and staged at Harse.

Beyond the relatively small region of arable land, complete with a moderately sized forest, is a steep escarpment that leads to the Cinderlands, a region that is even less hospitable than the immediate environs of Korvosa proper. To the west of Korvosa is a large gulf that leads out to a wider sea, while to the east and south are a range of high, snowcapped mountains inhabited by a few dwarf tribes and the occasional giant folk.

Spoiler: Brief General Information About Human Ethnic Groups
    Show
    Imperial (Chelaxian) - Tall and in general fair complected with heavier builds, Imperials tend to value political relationships over any other types. This tendency is what has lead to the Imperial proclivity towards nation building. These are also the humans most likely to engage in the worship of fiends. Society modeled on a blend of Northern European influences.

Varisians (mostly because I don't have a better name) - Shorter and more slender on average than an Imperial with darker skin, hair, and eyes. Fine of feature and flamboyant in their dress, Varisians value family bonds above all others, tending to live in large multi-generational groups, wherever they go. Society modeled on Southern European influences.

Shoanti (again because I'm bad at names) - Shoanti usually combine the heavier builds of Imperials with the lesser stature of Varisians. They are darker skinned than Varisians and their hair is universally black as a moonless night. In their culture one's relationship to the natural and the spiritual trumps all other bonds. Society modeled on Amerindians, specifically Plains Indians culture.
    Updated her background on her sheet then, changed her to Midland near the docks. I'm assuming that the ethnic groups all have languages? Would something like Shoanti be worth speaking at all? Do Varisians let others learn their language? I'm assuming elven and such like that might make it into those involved around the trade, but what other languages would someone heavily situated near docks and such?
    EDIT: I see your other post now while I was typing up this one, scrapping the original thing I had typed up and shortened it. Question still sort of stands, though.
    Will update character sheet with other equipment, items and taking into account where she resides within the city.
    Last edited by An Amy; 2019-08-26 at 12:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

It is not unheard of for the Hellkinghts to do something like what they did in Deklen's situation, they have a bit of a reputation for going judge, jury, and executioner. Also slavery/indentured servitude as punishment for the commission of a crime is fairly common. The guard officer in charge of Deklen definitely knows his situation, but wouldn't have passed it around. Other than that I leave it up to Saintheart.
    Oh, Deklen would never keep the fact of his Geas a secret from his comrades! He's learned human assets function best when they trust him. And who, Deklen asks, can you trust more: the man who is under a high-level clerical spell that will unquestionably kill him if he breaks one law of the City ... or the man whose promise not to put a knife in your back in This Awful City is based on some moment-by-moment, fallible fidelity to undefined, vague things like "honour" or "friendship"?

The Shoanti have their own language. As do the Varisians and the Imperials, although a common pidgin mutually intelligible to all three parties has developed within the city of Korvosa. There is a thieves' cant of sorts within the city but much like Druidic it is limited to initiated members of the Cerulean Society.

Assume that any single item worth over 100 gp has been issued by the guard.

The guard station has lockers for all members stationed there. There are a few bunks available and these are generally used for guardsmen that are on duty but not on patrol, or who have just come off a watch. It is frowned upon, but not unheard of for a guardsman to live out of the station for weeks or a month or two at a time. Guards are generally expected to keep personal quarters somewhere offsite. Assume that rent/ownership has been taken care of pre-game (i.e. you don't have to spend starting cash on it. Only requirements are that it mesh with your backstory).
    Just as well thieves' tools are 100 gp on the dot, that'd take some explaining by the captain of the guard ;)

I might have missed where the guard station is located, but I'll assume it's up in Castle Korsova. For his part, Deklen will have a small, cheap room above an inn in Bridgefront, one of any number of meaningless homes he's had moving around within Old Korsova - so it's a longish stroll to work in the mornings for him ;)

In terms of his ethnicity, I'm thinking Varisian probably fits best with the shorter stature. As to the languages, I'll assume Common is the Korsovan Pidgin mentioned above, along with Varisian and Dwarven - because his particular neighbourhood had more than a few dwarven members of the underclass. Deklen doesn't have family bonds: his upbringing was pretty bad. Family for him is a source of anger and pain.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

rolling up those hp.

(4d8)[7][5][6][3](21)
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we get an appropriate ethnic language for free in addition to Common or do we have to go Speak Language to learn it?

21. - Top - End - #51

AssassinGuy

Thinking about relationships with the rest of the cast. Marcus is a few years younger than most of the other characters so he's probably one of the newer members of the squad and still getting to know people. That being said, he's definitely the type to try to be friends with the people he works with.

Deklen's geass is exactly the sort of thing he'd love to debate the ethics of and he can have a bit of a tendency to care more about ideas than people. That being said, he's also mature enough at this point to apologise and not press the conversation if that was met with a negative reaction. He definitely wouldn't hold the situation against Deklen and might even be inclined to see it as an injustice against him while privately hoping it could be somewhat reformative. He'd appreciate Deklen's emphasis on thinking before acting.

I can see him getting along with Isara really well if you don't he'd annoy her, especially since they're both in the Guard to help people. He'd definitely be fascinated with her conceptualization of the city as a living thing.

Edredus is probably the only one he cold have any long-term history with would be as they're the same age, spent a few years at the Academae, and spent a lot of time in libraries on the Slope. He might share some of Edredus's opinions on the importance of law and order but not with nearly the same gusto.

As for Janna, I think he'd like her fine as long as he doesn't find out about her situation with her brother. He's definitely too naive to suspect it without any pretty clear evidence. That quote about the city being kinder to devils than destitutes would definitely strike a chord with his reformist tendencies.

All of I've got so far.

My player profile.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I have a couple of concepts that might work here, but some of them use material from the "Races of..." books. Are those among the allowed sources? I don't see them mentioned as allowed or banned.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Here is the start of what I have:

Jortun began his life as the third child to a Korvosan guard, with a stay at home wife. He has 2 younger brothers and 1 younger sister. The youngest passed as a child due to illness. Jortun’s home was in Garrison Hill in Old Korvosa. Jortun trained as a teen with an order of monks that was based in Bridgefront. As he reached the end of his training, we was pressured into becoming a guard, alongside his father. Jortun has since become a trusted member of the guard in the past few years.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

24. - Top - End - #54

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Not that I'm complaining per say, but when I said Deities were Greyhawkian, I didn't expect you guys to take it as a challenge to invoke the most obscure deities you could find in that setting
    If Zuoken is too exotic, I change the deity if you want to...

Sheet looks good. Backstory is alright, but once again it kinda reads as, "[Character] hopped off the boat and right into the guard." Police forces don't tend to hire complete strangers
    I added some more details to the end of the backstory. Please take a look, when you have the time

Spoiler: revised backstory
    Show

But thereafter there was no reason to work there anymore. He quit and left Korvosa (city). Somehow, with his golden tongue he always had, he managed it, to become a member of the Zouken-order, a monastic order dedicated to the* “Master of Da’Shon and Edel”. There he lived until his adulthood.

Inside of his cave, his self-teachings hadn't much effort anymore. He knew what to do, he had to leave his home again.

He traveled back to Korvosa, and hired first as a bouncer at one of the shabby pubs at the docks. There he got beaten up by a group of drunken sailorman, so he got fired.
    Next job was as a member of the travel guard run by the Asmodeas' church.
    This one he quit because of life-work-worries. His skills weren't nearly high enough to survive this for another journey.

Then he heard that it's the time of the year where the city guards are recruiting again. He signed himself in, and were allowed to participate at the trials. Physically he was fit. His mental state is fine, too. He has no problems with taking orders, even if he's the last part of the chain. He isn't too much into all this “good-vs-bad“, as long as everyone is playing by the rules, he's fine, and if not, he has no problem with punishment.

All in all, he must have proven himself worthy to become a member of the guard.

Since to years now, he's part of the Korvosan City Guard and he regrets no single day!

Last edited by Fliggl; 2019-08-26 at 02:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think I'll roll up a Warforged Favored Soul, which is decidedly terrible for optimization, but would be fun to play.

I picture them being imbued with their abilities directly by the Clerics of Heironeous. While followers of Heironeous are usually Lawful Good, I see them as Lawful Neutral. They were created to uphold the law, and they do so to the letter. Don't want them to drift into Lawful Stupid, but Law and Justice would be their "prime directive" from their god. Maybe the Clerics and Paladins are hoping to eventually replace all the guards with Warforged like them, or maybe the guards are just worried about that possibility? Just an idea.

Probably would be something of a battle medic/buffer, since the negatives to Wis and Char would make any casting with a saving throw pretty weak.

*womp womp* never mind, I was thinking they showed up in PHB2, but they're in "eberron". I'll come up with something different!
    Last edited by woodwalker; 2019-08-26 at 03:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Updated her background on her sheet then, changed her to Midland near the docks. I'm assuming that the ethnic groups all have languages? Would something like Shoanti be worth speaking at all? Do Varisians let others learn their language? I'm assuming elven and such like that might make it into those involved around the trade, but what other languages would someone heavily situated near docks and such?
    Yes, each ethnic group has a language. Shoanti will feature in the campaign. The city has a rather substantial Shoanti underclass, some of whom adamantly refuse to integrate into their conquerors' society. None of the ethnic languages are kept secret. It is possible to learn all of them. Also of use in the city would be Dwarvish and Elvish, since both of those races have small communities within the city. Anything else could come up but would be fairly uncommon.

Just as well thieves' tools are 100 gp on the dot, that'd take some explaining by the captain of the guard ;)

I might have missed where the guard station is located, but I'll assume it's up in Castle Korsova. For his part, Deklen will have a small, cheap room above an inn in Bridgefront, one of any number of meaningless homes he's had moving around within Old Korsova - so it's a longish stroll to work in the mornings for him ;)

In terms of his ethnicity, I'm thinking Varisian probably fits best with the shorter stature. As to the languages, I'll assume Common is the Korsovan Pidgin mentioned above, along with Varisian and Dwarven - because his particular neighbourhood had more than a few dwarven members of the underclass. Deklen doesn't have family bonds: his upbringing was pretty bad. Family for him is a source of anger and pain.
    Well not that hard to justify. I mean modern police have slim jims after all.

I don't think I've actually stated, but there are a few smaller guard buildings throughout the city, one for each district. The main offices of the Guard are located in Citadel Volshyenek.

Yes, Common is Korvosan Pidgin and is all but useless beyond the local region. Even up in Harse they speak either the Imperial or Varisian tongues rather than Korvosan

Do we get an appropriate ethnic language for free in addition to Common or do we have to go Speak Language to learn it?
    The latter, or you may select an ethnic language as one of your bonus languages due to a high intelligence score. You are natives of the city and unless the time was taken at some point to learn more languages all you know is the common tongue of Korvosa

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    I have a couple of concepts that might work here, but some of them use material from the "Races of..." books. Are those among the allowed sources? I don't see them mentioned as allowed or banned.
    What did you have in mind? The races of Eberron and Faerun are out, but even the other race books have certain pieces that I'd like to leave out of this game

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyindraven View Post
    Here is the start of what I have:

Jortun began his life as the third child to a Korvosan guard, with a stay at home wife. He has 2 younger brothers and 1 younger sister. The youngest passed as a child due to illness. Jortun’s home was in Garrison Hill in Old Korvosa. Jortun trained as a teen with an order of monks that was based in Bridgefront. As he reached the end of his training, we was pressured into becoming a guard, alongside his father. Jortun has since become a trusted member of the guard in the past few years.
    Good enough for me.

If Zuoken is too exotic, I change the deity if you want to...

I added some more details to the end of the backstory. Please take a look, when you have the time

Spoiler: revised backstory
    Show

But thereafter there was no reason to work there anymore. He quit and left Korvosa (city). Somehow, with his golden tongue he always had, he managed it, to become a member of the Zouken-order, a monastic order dedicated to the* “Master of Da’Shon and Edel”. There he lived until his adulthood.

Inside of his cave, his self-teachings hadn't much effort anymore. He knew what to do, he had to leave his home again.

He traveled back to Korvosa, and hired first as a bouncer at one of the shabby pubs at the docks. There he got beaten up by a group of drunken sailorman, so he got fired.
    Next job was as a member of the travel guard run by the Asmodeas' church.
    This one he quit because of life-work-worries. His skills weren't nearly high enough to survive this for another journey.

Then he heard that it's the time of the year where the city guards are recruiting again. He signed himself in, and were allowed to participate at the trials. Physically he was fit. His mental state is fine, too. He has no problems with taking orders, even if he's the last part of the chain. He isn't too much into all this “good-vs-bad“, as long as everyone is playing by the rules, he's fine, and if not, he has no problem with punishment.

All in all, he must have proven himself worthy to become a member of the guard.

Since to years now, he's part of the Korvosan City Guard and he regrets no single day!

The deity is fine. Don't worry about it.

Backstory take two works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
    I think I'll roll up a Warforged Favored Soul, which is decidedly terrible for optimization, but would be fun to play.

I picture them being imbued with their abilities directly by the Clerics of Heironeous. While followers of Heironeous are usually Lawful Good, I see them as Lawful Neutral. They were created to uphold the law, and they do so to the letter. Don't want them to drift into Lawful Stupid, but Law and Justice would be their "prime directive" from their god. Maybe the Clerics and Paladins are hoping to eventually replace all the guards with Warforged like them, or maybe the guards are just worried about that possibility? Just an idea.

Probably would be something of a battle medic/buffer, since the negatives to Wis and Char would make any casting with a saving throw pretty weak.

*womp womp* never mind, I was thinking they showed up in PHB2, but they're in "eberron". I'll come up with something different!
    Yes, Warforged are definitely out but feel free to submit something else

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Well not that hard to justify. I mean modern police have slim jims after all.

I don't think I've actually stated, but there are a few smaller guard buildings throughout the city, one for each district. The main offices of the Guard are located in Citadel Volshyenek.

Yes, Common is Korvosan Pidgin and is all but useless beyond the local region. Even up in Harse they speak either the Imperial or Varisian tongues rather than Korvosan
    Ah well, I guess Deklen is heading to whichever guardhouse is appropriate to report to for duty. And I'm totally calling Deklen's thieves tools 'thinjacks' from now on.

As for the sheet - I've done his background in the notes, not that it really affects the character as such. I assumed the Hellknights did something out of the ordinary for him because they basically cored out his memories with magic, had a look, and saw that he's done periods of restitution in his past. Whether that's actually the case or not is completely in the lap of the DM. That's about as far as I think I can really take it at this point. No significant named contacts to mention and no family, for reasons described. Happy to see what the outcome of selections is.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

What did you have in mind? The races of Eberron and Faerun are out, but even the other race books have certain pieces that I'd like to leave out of this game
    I have two or three low level characters that I think might work here.

- Scary half-orc. Uses a mix of fighter and half-orc paragon then enters the Menacing Brute PrC from Races of Destiny. Also uses the Menacing Demeanor feat from Races of Destiny. Basically, he ends up with a very high Intimidate score. Other than that he's a tough fighter.

- Invisible halfling or whisper gnome. Uses a mix of ninja and monk with the invisible fist ACF from Exemplars of Evil (whoops, another non-approved source) to be able to have lots of native invisibility from lvl 4. Whisper gnome is from Races of Stone and is of course highly optimized for stealth. Halfling is an acceptable substitute and in that case I'd like to use the halfling monk substitution levels from Races of the Wild.

- Human swordsman using a mix of scout with the riposte ACF, rogue, and a level of fighter. From lvl 6 he can stack riposte and sneak attack for high damage against a fair number of foes. He'd have excellent skills as well. Benefits from (but doesn't absolutely need) the fighter hit-and-run tactics ACF from Drow of the Underdark. The feat Criminal Background from the Eberron book City of Stormreach is also useful but non-essential.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah well, I guess Deklen is heading to whichever guardhouse is appropriate to report to for duty. And I'm totally calling Deklen's thieves tools 'thinjacks' from now on.

As for the sheet - I've done his background in the notes, not that it really affects the character as such. I assumed the Hellknights did something out of the ordinary for him because they basically cored out his memories with magic, had a look, and saw that he's done periods of restitution in his past. Whether that's actually the case or not is completely in the lap of the DM. That's about as far as I think I can really take it at this point. No significant named contacts to mention and no family, for reasons described. Happy to see what the outcome of selections is.
    Gaedren Lamm's hideout is in West Dock, so the raid is being staged out of Citadel Volshyenek directly. That doesn't mean each character was necessarily stationed there or in Midland, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    I have two or three low level characters that I think might work here.

- Scary half-orc. Uses a mix of fighter and half-orc paragon then enters the Menacing Brute PrC from Races of Destiny. Also uses the Menacing Demeanor feat from Races of Destiny. Basically, he ends up with a very high Intimidate score. Other than that he's a tough fighter.

- Invisible halfling or whisper gnome. Uses a mix of ninja and monk with the invisible fist ACF from Exemplars of Evil (whoops, another non-approved source) to be able to have lots of native invisibility from lvl 4. Whisper gnome is from Races of Stone and is of course highly optimized for stealth. Halfling is an acceptable substitute and in that case I'd like to use the halfling monk substitution levels from Races of the Wild.

- Human swordsman using a mix of scout with the riposte ACF, rogue, and a level of fighter. From lvl 6 he can stack riposte and sneak attack for high damage against a fair number of foes. He'd have excellent skills as well. Benefits from (but doesn't absolutely need) the fighter hit-and-run tactics ACF from Drow of the Underdark. The feat Criminal Background from the Eberron book City of Stormreach is also useful but non-essential.
    All three concepts are acceptable in their entirety. Pick your favorite and build away.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

What languages are used to conduct government business? I mean starting with guards' written reports, if that's applicable, and up to royal edicts - is it Pidgin all the way to the top?